Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 2:10 PM

Default M1 Garands

I just completed an article in the NRA Hunter Mag. Ref. imports of M1 rifles and carbines from So. Korea. I searched the web and found this to be true but the thread was published approx. 5 weeks ago. Does anybody have an updates on who will be contracted to sell these rifles. The web stated that the Garands would go for approx.$220.00 and the Carbines at approx. $195.00. I imagine that some of these will be higher if in VG condition. any new info would be appreciated. THX
Old 10-28-2010, 2:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

If this is the same article/rumors going around - It's not going to happen - The Korean Gov. don't have the authority to sell -
Old 10-28-2010, 3:05 PM
Calguns Addict

And you will never see them for that price nowdays. If you want a M1Garand then CMP is the place to get one but you need to become qualified. That is not real hard.

IF you want to go a different route Hunters Lodge Corp has some ungraded Danes for about $650
Old 10-28-2010, 8:42 PM
Blue Blaze Irregular
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegreatshot View Post
...The web stated that the Garands would go for approx.$220.00 and the Carbines at approx. $195.00.
That would be the price that the importer would pay. Add to that all of the importer's expenses (taxes, transportation, storage, profit) and you will come up with the price for which the importer will sell them to distributors. Then add the distributors' mark up and then the retailers' mark up and you will get a better idea of what these would really sell for.

"Knowledge is power... For REAL!" - Jack Austin
Old 11-01-2010, 5:40 PM

Wink

Rumor?
The NRA and many members of Congress believe that this sale should and will go though.
The " Collectible Firearms Protection Act ' was introduced in the House weeks ago.
Don't take my word , for it run some searches .
Start in the C & R subforum.

Do some searches for Blue Sky , as well. Did 200,000 USGI Garands and M1 Carbines make it home from allies in the ROK during the 1980's or not ?
Old 11-01-2010, 7:58 PM
Calguns Addict

I don't know why folks are so excited about these firearms. Decades of ROK soldiers using them as basic training weapons has probably left most of them little more than basket cases. At the right price they may be attractive but I think everyone's best bet is and will be CMP M1s.

"Everybody dies.. the thing is, to die well' Jack Harper
Old 11-01-2010, 8:57 PM

Way back when it was Broomhandle pistols for $100, M1 Carbines for $185 and 1911A1 pistols for $125. Those were all prices for the importer. Those deals never came to be, as the cost would be for 1000 or so units and no choice of condition. My guess is that at least 1/2 would be parts guns at best. I put these rumors in with the $100 jeep, new in crate, category.
Best place is still the CMP. Never been shipped a bad one and some were downright nice. I did get the wrong condition one once and they swapped it out.
Old 11-02-2010, 3:14 AM

Wink Free Market Forces at Work.

The free flow of historic USGI guns at market prices.
What's not like about that?

Here's another link . Compare this info to the BATFE postion paper.
Then meditate on the numbers while you stand in line to vote.

www.bavarianm1carbines.com/carbinesnara.html
Old 11-02-2010, 5:55 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by smle-man View Post
I don't know why folks are so excited about these firearms. Decades of ROK soldiers using them as basic training weapons has probably left most of them little more than basket cases. At the right price they may be attractive but I think everyone's best bet is and will be CMP M1s.
Ditto.
If I had the Jack I would be ordering from the CMP right now.
Old 11-02-2010, 6:16 AM

Cool Thanks for the Election Day Bumps.

Reality check.

-- CMP is out of M1 Carbines and the US Army is kinda busy in A-stan and Iraq. Too busy to get get more guns for CMP right now.

-- CMP is not currently authorized to sell handguns.

-- It is possible to probable that the US Army is not authorized to expend funds to return guns that were sold to Allies. Besides , the SecDef wants to trim a billion ( $1,000,000,000 ) from DOD spending this year. Toys for boys might not be on the top of his to-do list for a while. Sorry , stuff like body armor and artificial arms & legs are likely to get priority.

The ROK's can also use some money to help pay for their years in Iraq . They have shifted over A-stan and took their first A-stan KIA last winter.
Old 11-02-2010, 9:11 AM

i would agree with the assessment that IF tru, and IF, a person could get an M1 Garand or M1 carbine for $220.00, it would probably be a 'parts' rifle.

geeee...i trained and was issued both when i was in the U.S. Army and even as well maintained as they were then, by now, they'd be "piles".

i recently looked at an M1 Carbine at a local Big 5 sporting goods store with a price tag of $999.00 that was basically a POS...

i would DEFINITELY do some research on either before purchasing and especially for a low price.
Old 11-04-2010, 3:39 AM

We'll see.
Watch this thread for a credibility check : might be a couple weeks , might be a year --who knows?
Old 09-12-2011, 3:14 AM

CMP is the best deal in town -- but not the only deal in town.
Usually military organization will try to surplus out thier most used/beat-up guns and gear first.

Conflict Resolution 201:
Pickaxe Handles Rule , The Battleship Missouri is usually a serious attention getter with more clout than just it's weapons/armor/mobility could generate. South Korean volunteers with Claymores strapped to thier chests and clackers in hand are a clear indication of Allied resolve. Puts the ! on the end of :
Don't MESS with US !
Old 09-12-2011, 8:00 PM

They have been talking about this earlier this year.
The Clintonites are the ones try to keep this from going through.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:10 AM

Default Gather round kids and let me tell you about the time when ...

When I was a kid I bought an 8mm M98 Mauser from Sears for about $18, my friend bought a 7mm M93 Mauser, at the same time, for something like $14. M1 carbines were a bit over $100 in excellent condition. The problem is that these ex military rifles are old and often very "used". They may have great collectors value, like the Steyer Manlicher straight pull bolt rifle that I bought a few years ago, but they are generally not great shooters. Maybe the Koreans rarely shot their rifles, and kept them in excellent condition, but they are still getting quite old. The trick with these old rifles is to find a store that has a pile of them and pick through them to find one in good shape and with an excellent bore.
Old 09-13-2011, 3:08 AM

the imported Garands are what got me into them, my FFL dealer friend was selling them like hotcakes, i got to clean them up and cherry pick from them, including getting some very collectable parts off them. Bring 'em home!
Old 09-13-2011, 5:30 AM

It's possible to help spark the economy the government is allowing these rifles for sale again. Once long ago everyone was selling them and being imported by the thousands. Then our friendly government had them stopped. I'm more or an M1- Carbine person myself but a super nice Garand would be nice also. The price of ammo is the biggest issue.
Old 09-13-2011, 9:46 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mail Clerk View Post
It's possible to help spark the economy the government is allowing these rifles for sale again. Once long ago everyone was selling them and being imported by the thousands. Then our friendly government had them stopped. I'm more or an M1- Carbine person myself but a super nice Garand would be nice also. The price of ammo is the biggest issue.
Reload !!!!
Old 09-13-2011, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member

I wish this would happen....but my doubts are high

"To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason
Closed Thread