Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 10-28-2010, 6:14 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Oregon Sheriff Will be at Cow Palace Show on Nov. 13-14 to Take OR CHL Applications

Sheriff Glenn Palmer of Grant County, Oregon will be making his first appearance in California at the Crossroads of the West Gun Show at the Cow Palace on November 13th and 14th. To make things as smooth as possible and to get as many people through the process as possible, here is the process that every individual applicant needs to followed for those of us reading this post.

Disqualifications under Oregon State Law: Any felonies or domestic violence misdemeanors, four years after the serving of sentence and all things with a regular misdemeanors, currently on pre-trial release for any misdemeanor or felony, any 5250's, under 21 years of age, not a US Citizen (yes, we know about this state law, please PM me if you're in this particular class).

Remember that the folks who are "walk ups" may not be required to do this because Sheriff Palmer needs to be flexible to accommodate those folks who are not technologically inclined and didn't know he would be there. We, however, have no such excuse. Let's make things as fast as possible for Sheriff Palmer and get you folks processed as quickly as possible.

1) You will have to pay for admission to the Cow Palace Show. The tickets are $10 at the door (or $9 with a coupon, or you can pay $9 online.)

2) Attached to this post (and there will be an online copies hosted elsewhere) is a fillable CHL application for Grant County. Please check it several times to make sure it is filled out correctly. Keep the first sheet so that you have Sheriff Palmer's contact information. Remember, state law requires "other demonstrated need", but Palmer's belief is that self defense is so. So, for page 6, use "self defense".

3) You must have a handgun safety certificate copy. The easiest (and free!) is the Maryland Course. NRA Basic Pistol, NRA Home Firearms Safety Course, NRA Personal Protection courses will also work, as well as Nevada and Utah training course certificates.

4) One check or money order for $65, made out to the Grant County Sheriff's Office.

5) Please make copies of your drivers license/state ID card. If you have a California PC12050 license or an out of state carry license, please make a copy of that as well.

So, why get an Oregon CHL from Sheriff Palmer?

A) Unlike every other sheriff known in Oregon, Sheriff Palmer is a true believer in the 2nd amendment. He is the only sheriff in Oregon who is willing to come go to shows in other states to take applications, and in fact may be the only issuing authority for CHL's in the United States to do this.

B) It helps his county financially in these tough economic times. His county board of supervisors, despite this, are giving him a lot of hell for doing this sort of thing, and they tend to shut up when he brings in a lot of money to the County Treasury.

C) The CHL exempts you from numerous Oregon state statutes which prohibit you from carrying in public buildings, as well as any local ordinances against carrying of a loaded firearm in public (primarily in Northwest Oregon and in Newport, OR, See ORS 166.370, ORS 166.173).

D) It's another state to add to your list of carry licenses, and gives political pressure against anti-gun states. The more common carry licenses are in general, the better our legal arguments about carry being common.

Last edited by Gray Peterson; 05-29-2013 at 3:06 PM..
Old 10-28-2010, 6:46 AM

Gray, do you know the wait time after filing to receive the permit? I ask b/c I'm headed through OR to WA shortly thereafter and wonder if I could have the permit by Thanksgiving? I know the wheels of gov't turn slow so I'm not holding my breath.
Thx!
Old 10-28-2010, 6:49 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGoodale View Post
Gray, do you know the wait time after filing to receive the permit? I ask b/c I'm headed through OR to WA shortly thereafter and wonder if I could have the permit by Thanksgiving? I know the wheels of gov't turn slow so I'm not holding my breath.
Thx!
State law says up to 45 days. Given the numerous amount of licenses he will likely be asked for, it'll probably take that long.

-Gray
Old 10-28-2010, 7:19 AM

Thanks, and thanks again for all your work with this project and for all your other irons in the fire!
Old 10-28-2010, 8:27 AM

Do you have a map of where the booth will be inside the Cow Palace? Like to get in line there first and look at guns & stuff second.
Old 10-28-2010, 8:28 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Sorry if this is a brain cramp but

2) Attached to this post (and there will be an online copies hosted elsewhere) is a fillable CHL application for Grant County.

where?

jerry
Old 10-28-2010, 8:38 AM
Part time Emperor
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Gray, is this the current & correct application?
http://www.benjamincannon.net/oregonchl_pub_0001.pdf
Old 10-28-2010, 8:41 AM
Calguns Addict

It's attached now. I'll be looking to have it posted elsewhere soon.
Old 10-28-2010, 8:57 AM

Any reason the California DOJ Handgun Safety Certificate is not included in the list above?
Old 10-28-2010, 8:59 AM

Just a couple quick questions to help me be fully prepared on the day of the show.

1. The Date on the second page, should that be the date I'm at the show or the date I fill out the form?
2. On page 5. Can I sign this ahead of time or should I wait and sign in the presence of the Sheriff?
3. On page 3 where it asks for Character References. I don't see any stipulation on who we can use for this. Can it be family?
Old 10-28-2010, 9:11 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I'm doing the Maryland test now and will be ready to go, just want to be sure - be at the gun show, have all my paperwork in order and the fees and we'll be processed, correct?

I visit southern OR several times a year and this will be very nice to have.

Last edited by dfletcher; 10-28-2010 at 10:44 AM..
Old 10-28-2010, 9:15 AM

Questions on the process at the show.

Is there going to be a single line, or one for pre filled out paperwork and one for people who need to do their own paperwork.

Is there any way to sign up in advance or is it just line up when you get there.

I can go on sat late or sunday first thing. I am guessing that sunday first thing is going to give me a shorter line waiting time. I mean every minute standing is line is one less minute I could be browsing other gun related items, like beef jerky....... (so many freaking beef jerky sellers there)
Old 10-28-2010, 9:15 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfletcher View Post
I'm doing the Maryland test now and will be ready to go, just want to be sure - be at the gun show, have all my paperwork in order and the fees and we'll be processed, correct?

I visit southern OR several times a year and this will be very nice to have.
Yes, correct.
Old 10-28-2010, 9:16 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanchoVilla View Post
Questions on the process at the show.

Is there going to be a single line, or one for pre filled out paperwork and one for people who need to do their own paperwork.
Don't know yet.

Quote:
Is there any way to sign up in advance or is it just line up when you get there.
Just line up.

Quote:
I can go on sat late or sunday first thing. I am guessing that sunday first thing is going to give me a shorter line waiting time. I mean every minute standing is line is one less minute I could be browsing other gun related items, like beef jerky....... (so many freaking beef jerky sellers there)
Sounds like a personal problem.
Old 10-28-2010, 9:19 AM
CGN Contributor

Do we know what's acceptable as the second form of ID?

Old 10-28-2010, 9:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by putput View Post
Do we know what's acceptable as the second form of ID?
A U.S. Passport would be a good one. I would imagine any state issued id/license (i.e. a Nevada CCW).
Achievement of your happiness is the only moral purpose of your life, and that happiness, not pain or mindless self-indulgence, is the proof of your moral integrity, since it is the proof and the result of your loyalty to the achievement of your values. -Ayn Rand
Old 10-28-2010, 9:52 AM

Should we get finger print cards from UPS prior to the show or will we get finger printed right then and there at the Cow Palace?
Achievement of your happiness is the only moral purpose of your life, and that happiness, not pain or mindless self-indulgence, is the proof of your moral integrity, since it is the proof and the result of your loyalty to the achievement of your values. -Ayn Rand
Old 10-28-2010, 11:15 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stag1500 View Post
A U.S. Passport would be a good one. I would imagine any state issued id/license (i.e. a Nevada CCW).
Regarding ID, app says one form must be photo (which I'd presume for all of us is CDL) but that 2nd form does not need to be photo so I'm wondering on the following:

C & R FFL, BFSC Safety Card, COE, Utah non - resident CCW?

In addition to the completed OR application, I plan on bringing a blank one just in case I've made a mistake.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:26 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Should we get finger print cards from UPS prior to the show or will we get finger printed right then and there at the Cow Palace?
Sheriff Palmer will be bringing his fingerprinting machine to the Cow Palace (the portable one we raised money for).

Quote:
Regarding ID, app says one form must be photo (which I'd presume for all of us is CDL) but that 2nd form does not need to be photo so I'm wondering on the following:

C & R FFL, BFSC Safety Card, COE, Utah non - resident CCW?

In addition to the completed OR application, I plan on bringing a blank one just in case I've made a mistake.
Those will all work. I'm still checking on the HSC card thing for training.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:25 PM

A U.S. passport would be a good idea for those of us, myself included, who were not born in the U.S. but are U.S. citizens. That's what I've done when I applied for my Nevada, Utah and Florida permits.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:33 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Outstanding! I just spoke to Sheriff Palmer and thanked him for all he does for us and the Second Amendment.

As I will be at the Marine Corps Ball the weekend that he is here, I will be driving to his office after that date.

Also, for those who have attended my CCW course, Sheriff Palmer confirmed that the certificate of training that I have given you serves as proof of training for him.

S/F!
Multi State CCW Instructor - Next class:
Livermore, CA - July, 2018
Defensive Medicine (Oh S#!t, I Think I've Been Shot!):
Sacramento, CA - June 23, 2018
Old 10-28-2010, 1:42 PM

Whats the benifit of the Oregon permit? Utah seems like the best one at this point. More states.
Old 10-28-2010, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Peterson View Post
3) You must have a handgun safety certificate copy. The easiest (and free!) is the Maryland Course. NRA Basic Pistol, NRA Home Firearms Safety Course, NRA Personal Protection courses will also work, as well as Nevada and Utah training course certificates.
Is there a military/LEO exemption for this like CA?
Old 10-28-2010, 2:18 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolton View Post
Whats the benifit of the Oregon permit? Utah seems like the best one at this point. More states.
Oregon gets you carry rights in Oregon. To my knowledge, no other permit does that.

I currently have Utah and Nevada. Got Nevada when they stopped recognizing Utah.

If the Republican wave is big enough next week, maybe they'll pass a CCW reciprocity admendment at the Federal level and we can stop getting multiple out of state permits.

Then when California starts issuing on a reasonable basis, we can stop getting out of state permits entirely. Wouldn't that be nice?

Proud to belong to the NRA Members' Council of Santa Clara County

Disclaimer: All opinions are entirely my own.
Old 10-28-2010, 2:58 PM
CGSSA Leader

Would an expired passport work as second ID? Probably not, but all I have is my CDL.

"A “right” entitles an individual to do something, and is not dependent on the graces of the government." - Alan Gura Ezell v. Chicago

"The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding." - Justice Louis Brandeis Dissenting, Olmstead v. United States
Old 10-28-2010, 4:20 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolton View Post
Overall more states recognize UT non-resident. But OR does not recognize UT non-res so if you frequent OR and want to carry, the OR non-res allows you to do that which UT non-res does not.
Old 10-28-2010, 5:08 PM
Calguns Addict

All,

I'm going to be clarifying with Sheriff Palmer by this weekend whether or not the 2nd ID thing will be required or if an HSC can be used in lieu of the Maryland training.

As to who asked about Oregon and what's the value of it, I sort of explained it in this thread already about the exemptions an Oregon license gets you. You're exempted from all local gun regulation, you can carry in any public building state-level or below (but not federal), and it's a way of supporting a true believer in the 2nd amendment.
Old 10-28-2010, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havoc70 View Post
Would an expired passport work as second ID? Probably not, but all I have is my CDL.
It's better than nothing and it can't hurt.
Old 10-28-2010, 8:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Maybe I missed it, but what states is this permit for? Only Oregon?
Old 10-28-2010, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Yes.
Old 10-28-2010, 8:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Yes.
Thankyou!
Old 10-28-2010, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDinosaur View Post
Any reason the California DOJ Handgun Safety Certificate is not included in the list above?
I'm suspecting it is based upon actual live fire testing - required in Nevada, as well as a bit tougher examination. CA may someday add live fire testing - hold your breath.....

- Aut Pax Aut Bellum - Volunteer LDW
Old 10-28-2010, 8:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenterX View Post
I'm suspecting it is based upon actual live fire testing - required in Nevada, as well as a bit tougher examination. CA may someday add live fire testing - hold your breath.....
No, because the mdgunsafety.com website doesn't require live fire either.

-Gray
Old 10-28-2010, 8:48 PM

I seen on the first page of the CHL application that it requres fingerprinted and Photograph! Will the sheriff also be taking the photos? Or what's the deal?
Old 10-28-2010, 8:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor-Cal View Post
I seen on the first page of the CHL application that it requres fingerprinted and Photograph! Will the sheriff also be taking the photos? Or what's the deal?
That's right. Sheriff Palmer will have a camera and the fingerprint scanner on site. Oregon state law requires this.

Please note also there will be some customers at the table who will be surprised and didn't know he would be here but don't have the checks or the money. We expect this to be an exception not a rule. There will be a "waiting for further documents/checks/whatever" stack, the important part is to take the app, photo, and fingerprint. Those of us on the internet, however, have plenty of warning. Let's make it as smooth as possible for Sheriff Palmer to do this job...

-Gray
Old 10-28-2010, 9:20 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Peterson View Post
That's right. Sheriff Palmer will have a camera and the fingerprint scanner on site. Oregon state law requires this.

Please note also there will be some customers at the table who will be surprised and didn't know he would be here but don't have the checks or the money. We expect this to be an exception not a rule. There will be a "waiting for further documents/checks/whatever" stack, the important part is to take the app, photo, and fingerprint. Those of us on the internet, however, have plenty of warning. Let's make it as smooth as possible for Sheriff Palmer to do this job...

-Gray
Thanks for answering my question Gary, I was aware of the livescan but was unsure of the picture part. Also another question, in reguards to the list of refrences it ask for can it be family members or is there restrictions on who you can put as a character refrence? Thanks in advance again!
Old 10-28-2010, 9:39 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

CGF deserves a lot of credit for its foresight in arranging Sheriff Palmer's attendance at the Cow Palace. Let's make sure we have an abundance of help and helping hands to make the entire effort flawless.

I know there are plans to try to get Sheriff Palmer to a Gun Show in Southern/Central CA. Is there some kind of timetable in the planning stage yet?
Old 10-29-2010, 8:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uyoga View Post
CGF deserves a lot of credit for its foresight in arranging Sheriff Palmer's attendance at the Cow Palace. Let's make sure we have an abundance of help and helping hands to make the entire effort flawless.

I know there are plans to try to get Sheriff Palmer to a Gun Show in Southern/Central CA. Is there some kind of timetable in the planning stage yet?
Im betting the Cow Palace show will see an up-tick in attendance and it wont be because of the show but because of the Oregon CHL event there... Oh and the Calguns Booth!!!

kcbrown -- The Constitution is not "the Supreme Law of the Land, except in the face of contradicting law which has not yet been overturned by the courts". It is THE SUPREME LAW OF THE LAND, PERIOD. Consider very carefully what that means for your oath to uphold the Constitution.
Old 10-29-2010, 8:45 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post

Regarding reciprocity, I pulled this off the net. Note it shows states that honor OR CCW - and that it specifies some states (NV, for example) as honoring OR resident CCW only. Which leads me to believe the other states stating they honor OR CCW mean resident and nonresident - otherwise, why make the distinction in NV?

I'd also presume NV doesn't honor OR nonres for the same reason it dropped UT.

http://apps.carryconcealed.net/legal...state-laws.php

Last edited by dfletcher; 10-29-2010 at 8:48 AM..
Old 10-29-2010, 8:57 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

I'd also presume NV doesn't honor OR nonres for the same reason it dropped UT.
Deleted comment. NV doesn't honor UT.

Proud to belong to the NRA Members' Council of Santa Clara County

Disclaimer: All opinions are entirely my own.

Last edited by bulgron; 10-29-2010 at 9:26 AM..