Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 10-25-2010, 8:38 PM

Default Answer the door armed or unarmed???

This scenario. It is 1:00am and you are awake when suddenly you hear loud knocking on the front door.Because you do not live in a neighborhood with the safest reputation you have a pistol holstered and tucked into your waistband. There is nothing illegal happening on or in your property because you are a law abiding citizen.You look through the front door peep hole and see a city police officer and his partner.Question.Would you open the door with the pistol holstered in your waistband, would you hide it or leave it in plain sight away from your person? If you answer yes or no give an answer why.
Old 10-25-2010, 8:59 PM

put the gun away, the reason's simple: it's a felony to scare the s#$@ out of a police officer.

"Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement." Winston Churchill
Old 10-25-2010, 8:59 PM

while looking through that peep hole, i would be looking for marked cop cars in front of your house, looking at badges and uniforms as best i could. we live in an age where these sleazeballs are not afraid to play dress up and do a home invasion. ask some questions through the door, let them know you are gonna call dispatch to see if there is any calls at or around your address as you don't feel safe opening your door at that hour of the night. if there is reason for them to be at your door, this would give you plenty of time to put the gun back in the safe, if not, your prepared. they can send the real calvary to your house. they don't take kindly to people trying to pretend. im sure they will get their very quickly. as far as opening the door to the real cops with a gun on your hip, I wouldn't. you can do as you like, but i personally don't want to be proned out on the wet grass at 1am. All the cops would then rush to your house to backup their co-workers, and the real bad guy they were chasing probably gets away only to commit more crimes in your neighborhood in the future.

Last edited by FailedAngrMgmt; 10-25-2010 at 9:11 PM..
Old 10-25-2010, 9:02 PM
Banned

Ahh, these variables!

CA version: At 1 am I'd typically need to put clothes on. I peek out my peephole and I can't be sure who's there. First would be silent treatment while I try to figure out what's going on (is there a fire, was there a quiet crime and lots of cops on scene, is there a legit reason for them to be knocking, is there a folded piece of paper in one of their hands), and if they're real cops. After verifying they're real, I'd lock the gun(s) in the safe, come outside, lock door behind.

Free state version: Throw clothes and gunbelt on, open inner door with gun side invisible, ask what's up. Helpful to me, come outside and talk, arms crossed at first, then "at ease" later on. Adversarial with me, close door, lock gun(s) in safe, come outside, lock door behind.
Old 10-25-2010, 9:10 PM

I take great comfort in the security and safety of the protections that my home provides. I would have no worries about being armed in my home. I would leave it in my holster. When talking to the police I would not open my security door only the wood one. We can talk just fine through the security door, family policy is to never invite the law inside.
Old 10-25-2010, 9:10 PM

you missed the obvious answer... Shoot through the door.
Old 10-25-2010, 9:14 PM
Banned

1- if I hear knocking on my door at 1am, the gun is in my hand, not holstered.
2- i look out and see two LEO, I speak through the door, Whats going on officer
3- if i decide to open the door, the firearm is in my waist band and I have informed the Officers it is there.
Old 10-25-2010, 9:15 PM

talk through the door unless they have a warrant.
Old 10-25-2010, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 SIG fan View Post
ahhh yes, "plan c"
Old 10-25-2010, 9:35 PM

Quote:

Silent lurker here...

I laughed hard at this... Worthy of my first post.
Old 10-25-2010, 9:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
So you are advocating the cold blooded execution of LEO's by shooting them through the door.

If you are making a "joke" it's pathetic. You should be ashamed of yourself. If your serious you should be banned.

Sick comments like these are some of the reasons this site is getting a reputation as being anti LEO.

What would the reaction be if I was to advocate LEO's shooting a homeowner through a door because he told a LEO he was armed?

Not so funny is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:00 PM

I don't have a peep hole so what I've always done is answer/open the door with my left hand, and I only open it enough to peep my head out. I keep my pistol loaded in my right hand out of sight (because again, i've only cracked the door open).

Once I verify there is no threat, I politely ask to give me a second, and i unload and place the weapon down on a counter out of sight from the door.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT-40 View Post
So you are advocating the cold blooded execution of LEO's by shooting them through the door.

If you are making a "joke" it's pathetic. You should be ashamed of yourself. If your serious you should be banned.

Sick comments like these are some of the reasons this site is getting a reputation as being anti LEO.

What would the reaction be if I was to advocate LEO's shooting a homeowner through a door because he told a LEO he was armed?

Not so funny is it?

calm down amigo, have a drink.

it was a joke in poor taste, getting E-angry isnt going to solve anything and it just makes you see uptight.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:04 PM
CGSSA Associate

Open the door, run through them wearing only your wife's panties and her bra on your head screeching "you'll never bugger me alive coppers!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nose Nuggets View Post
5 guys, hot damn thats some good eat'n.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyromensch View Post
damn, i duped my own thread...first time i did a poll
Old 10-25-2010, 10:40 PM
Veteran Member

Arrow

I know the call signs of all the Officers in the department of the city I live in. I know the K9 Officer's names. I would quiz them through the door, unless I see it's the Officer's themselves (and I know what they look like, it helps to know what they look like). I also run a scanner, so if my doorbell rang at 01:00 (or 03:00, and I'm up at that hour), I would know before they knocked, unless they were impersonators, and then I would be carrying mine in hand (not holster, as my holster would be too small ).

Erik.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Sorry, not gonna open the door. I'll talk thru the door and call dispatch. Without seeing a warrant stuck up against the window, that door's not opening. Hell, I don't even open the door during the day...for girl scouts. No way at 0-dark:thirty.

"Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." -Thomas Jefferson
, in a letter to his nephew Peter Carr dated August 19, 1785
Old 10-25-2010, 10:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Unless you called me first -

I'm not getting out of bed at 1:00am anyway.....
Old 10-25-2010, 10:59 PM

Talk through the closed door. Ask for the picture ID and a business card.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:01 PM

at 0100...
shotgun in my hand behind leg/door...or the glock 20...screw the holster they don't work well in my boxer/briefs...
Greebo, as a matter of feline pride, would attempt to fight or rape absolutely anything, up to and including a four-horse logging wagon. Ferocious dogs would whine and hide under the stairs when Greebo sauntered down the street. Foxes Kept away from the village. Wolves made a detour. Terry Pratchett
Old 10-25-2010, 11:04 PM

who answers the door at 1am? go back to sleep and hope who ever is at the door has the wrong house and moves on..
Old 10-25-2010, 11:08 PM
Veteran Member

If there was a person dressed as an officer knocking on my door at 1am I'd be all, "Ah yes, the male stripper has arrived

CLICK HERE for a San Diego County WIN!

CLICK HERE to read my research review on the fight-or-flight response and its application to firearm training
Old 10-25-2010, 11:10 PM

Whenever I get strange knocks at strange times in the day or night, I always answer with a gun either in my IWB holster, uncovered as I check who it is, and if its no one to be worried about, I throw my shirt over it and invite them in.

If its at an odd hour and I'm in my PJs, I hold it in my hand and answer with the door cracked open. If its a friend of mine, they already know the procedure and won't get freaked by the gun. If its someone visiting someone else in the house, I temporarily put the gun in the mail basket out of sight as they make their way in. I close the door after them and allow them to get to wherever they need to, then when they're out of sight, I take the pistol and get back into my room.

www.theshootersblog.com
Old 10-25-2010, 11:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Not so funny is it?
I'm pretty sure it's a mocking reference to an earlier thread, where a guy told us all about how he was startled by someone trying to get in the door, and was almost ready to shoot through it, but found out in time that it was the plumber. Some folks were talking big, like "Oh yeah, I'd have shot him through the door, I'm Billy Badass," not realizing that the title of the thread was "I almost shot the plumber."

Edit: Here it is, some of the worst advice ever given on Calguns (boldface mine):

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1133s View Post
So, here's BG (you think) trying to open your door and you actually open it for him/her? Don't do that, make the BG work harder

Also, when the gun is out, it means the situation is serious, so (1) don't stand next to the door where you think the BG is (in your case) and (2) just shoot and don't hesitate.

Last edited by Dreaded Claymore; 10-25-2010 at 11:19 PM..
Old 10-25-2010, 11:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911 Fan View Post
This scenario. It is 1:00am and you are awake when suddenly you hear loud knocking on the front door.Because you do not live in a neighborhood with the safest reputation you have a pistol holstered and tucked into your waistband. There is nothing illegal happening on or in your property because you are a law abiding citizen.You look through the front door peep hole and see a city police officer and his partner.Question.Would you open the door with the pistol holstered in your waistband, would you hide it or leave it in plain sight away from your person? If you answer yes or no give an answer why.
At 1:00AM? Honestly? In this situation I call 911...
Old 10-25-2010, 11:19 PM
Banned

Quote:

Not so funny is it?
Agreed.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:26 PM

i would definitely call dispatch first before respond to the LEO at all and I would put my shotgun not pistol away.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:15 AM
Calguns Addict

been here did this back in 2000,there was some heavy doings going on in my neighborhood
and i called cops and they were hiding out,well 2 bg's came roll up to my door stopped at the lawn real quick when they saw me holding my sks,they booked it and about 3 mins later as i was watching to the right(contact area) i see a flash light from the left and its the sheriffs,uh oh i am illuminated and holding my sks still they start reaching for their weapons and at the same time i toe kick the sks out to the lawn,they confirmed i was the rp took the gun while holding it in a fashion to use it (no patrol rifles then) they nabbed about 20 gangbangers in a trap and we had a ton of leos out ,a hour later i am standing with neighbors when the sheriffs roll up ,stop ,get out ,hand me my sks and leave. ..everyone around me was like wtf??....

reason i had the sks out was i was babysitting my gf's 1 year old and was not going let anything happen to her .
Old 10-26-2010, 12:42 AM

Quote:

Sick comments like these are some of the reasons this site is getting has a reputation as being anti LEO.

Not so funny is it?
It's true. Ask around.

ETA: And its actually not these comments that have gotten CalGuns that rep, its all of the comments along the lines of "No police officer can be trusted" and "All cops are crooked" and "Every cop it just looking for an excuse to violate your civil rights on a power trip."

Last edited by adrenalinemedic; 10-26-2010 at 12:48 AM..
Old 10-26-2010, 12:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchnicklas View Post
they start reaching for their weapons and at the same time i toe kick the sks out to the lawn
HAHAHA that sounds like sporting artistry.
Old 10-26-2010, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenalinemedic View Post
It's true. Ask around.

ETA: And its actually not these comments that have gotten CalGuns that rep, its all of the comments along the lines of "No police officer can be trusted" and "All cops are crooked" and "Every cop it just looking for an excuse to violate your civil rights on a power trip."
For me it's more along the lines of: Cops are human, with all the crap that entails. They run the gamut from standup guys, to complete sleeze. You may run into the guy who's just slogging his way through his job, or captain commando who's gung-ho and does everything to the best of his ability, the right way.

The problems come from the fact that it is a position of power and authority. The usual axioms about power may apply, but that's not the issue. They are in a position where they can destroy a person's life, or property, or livelyhood with a single misinterpretation of a law or other false arrest. The sheer potential that this MIGHT, and in a few publicized cases HAS happened is what makes people wary of the police.

Then there's the issue that it is permissible for them to be ignorant of the proper enforecement of a law, yet are still allowed to act on this ignorance; while non-LEOs are expected to know things forwards and backwards and EVEN THAT IS NO PROTECTION, when someone is going to do the wrong thing.

Summary: It's the potential and permissibility of the wrong thing happening that has caused such an apprehensive attitude toward police.

Disclaimer: I haven't personally had any negative interactions with the police, and in fact have been pleasently surprised by how... lenient the officers were during my most deserving interaction. Even with all this... i'm still apprehensive around cops, especially when the subject of firearms comes up.
Old 10-26-2010, 3:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylett9 View Post
I don't have a peep hole
A .45 will make a nice one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fate View Post
Hell, I don't even open the door during the day...for girl scouts.
What if they're hot? (It's a joke, relax)

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gato View Post
boxer/briefs
I wonder if there is some running joke in congress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychGuy274 View Post
If there was a person dressed as an officer knocking on my door at 1am I'd be all, "Ah yes, the male stripper has arrived
"Ah yes" and "male stripper" don't belong in the same sentence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kynoch View Post
At 1:00AM? Honestly? In this situation I call 911...
Why? They're already there.

Last edited by tiki; 10-26-2010 at 4:04 AM..
Old 10-26-2010, 4:29 AM

I don't answer the door I finish laying Pipe on the chick who's in my bed
Old 10-26-2010, 4:43 AM
Calguns Addict

Easy answers for me, I dont answer the door. Anyone I am willing to talk to at 1am has my phone number.

If for some unknown reasion I do decide to answer the door, I will only open the inner door, the outer security door stays shut and I keep a shotgun behind the inner door.

Last edited by robcoe; 10-26-2010 at 4:45 AM..
Old 10-26-2010, 4:46 AM
Calguns Addict

I'm with those who say to call 911/dispatch. Best way to know if the folks at the door are legit. And yes, if you just flat know the cops and have a nice peephole that would work pretty well.

I'm really curious as to whether one of our good LEO's would care to weigh in and tell us what they'd recommend. I suspect that would be most valuable input.
Old 10-26-2010, 5:22 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Default My front Porch is well lit.

And I have a long, well lit walkway leading to my front door. I can control the lites from inside. I have a peephole. A knock at 1AM would spotlight the cops. As a courtesy I would inquire thru the door......perhaps one of my family has been hurt in a car accident or...?

I would be holding my Glock 20.

Anyone who knocks can see my doormat.

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 10-26-2010, 5:58 AM

We live in the country and have had a problem with street racers. Call CHP enough times and problem solved. One night 3 hrs. after I called, officer pulls up and asked if I was the one that called in. I said yes and told him I was carrying. He said no problem and thanks for the call. 4 citations and one car impounded. End of street racers.
Home got broken into and sheriff Dept. shows up. Pointed out that I had a Glock on and 8 people in my back yard with SA 45's shooting some fast draw. Again, no problem. After he did his report, he watched some fast draw for a couple of minutes and asked if he could come back and try it out when he was off duty. You bet. Bring some buddies too.

Both times I told them I had a gun on and they didn't even bat an eye. At 1 am I would probably look to see a police car. If not, call 911 to verify.

www.kentsandhagen.mygofoods.com

Cowboy Fast Draw World Championships
alias, "The Undertaker"
Fastest Shot 2009 .356
Old 10-26-2010, 6:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
And I have a long, well lit walkway leading to my front door. I can control the lites from inside. I have a peephole. A knock at 1AM would spotlight the cops. As a courtesy I would inquire thru the door......perhaps one of my family has been hurt in a car accident or...?

I would be holding my Glock 20.

Anyone who knocks can see my doormat.

doormat is win
Old 10-26-2010, 6:14 AM

Quote:

Not so funny is it?
It did happen.
"The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory" Jeff Cooper

كافر
Old 10-26-2010, 6:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double_tap View Post
calm down amigo, have a drink.

it was a joke in poor taste, getting E-angry isnt going to solve anything and it just makes you see uptight.
No. It makes YOU look just like what he said. The problem is what YOU said, not him.

Semper Fi!

Old 10-26-2010, 6:24 AM

My motion detecting camera would have alerted me via my cellphone of their arrival before they even rang the bell. That would have promoted a quick panning of the area via the pan-tilt-zoom camera to locate the patrol car. Car out front? Probably real LEO.

Then I'd ask through the door, "Good evening, gentlemen. How may I help you?"

Depending upon their answer I'd check the veracity of their assignment via the non-emergency number of the agency. Probably all the contact would be through the door. I am sure they understand folks reluctance to open doors late at night.

As for being armed, my firearm isn't needed for their presence (if they're real LEO) and they probably assume everyone summoned to the door at oh-dark-thirty would do so armed if so inclined. Why add stress to their already stressful duty?

My firearm would be readily accessible, but not for the LEO, just for the bad guy if he/she decides to try to enter my home and I needed to protect myself or my son.

Another scenario would be to just be silent and let them do their jobs outside my home, without the need for any interaction or potential drama. I am sure they knock on doors sometime when no one answers. They'll then move on to the next task at hand and a phone call to dispatch will give the option of "Someone just knocked on my door at this ungodly hour. Do you have anyone in the area that can swing by and check my neighborhood out?" This then opens the door for a dialog about why they have officers in the area and anything discussed is captured on their voice logging recorder.

(checks pocket... yup, still have 98 cents left out of my dollar)