Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-24-2010, 4:03 PM
cjskalka cjskalka is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 450
iTrader: 19 / 100%
Default San Diego Free Outdoor Shooting

With Orosco Ridge seemingly permanently closed, I'm looking for a new outdoor area where I can go throw clay pigeons and shoot my steel targets out to a few hundred yards. I'm in the Rancho Bernardo area and wouldn't want to travel too much more than an hour to go shoot. I'm looking for someplace that is 100% legal and not some sketchy area ie BBM. Please help a fellow San Diego shooter out with either a PM or a reply in this thread. Thanks. -Chris
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-24-2010, 6:20 PM
shooterfpga's Avatar
shooterfpga shooterfpga is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Lakeside, CA / Crosby, Tx
Posts: 2,741
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

wondering about this too. really like orosco,but had to go to southbay rod and gun, which i hadnt been to in freaking years, so much has changed.
__________________
U.S. Army Combat Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactuscooler View Post
I have Paramilitary training
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-24-2010, 7:08 PM
Pubert Pubert is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 84
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Ditto for me too...so few places here in SD.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-25-2010, 6:05 AM
mikaarce's Avatar
mikaarce mikaarce is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North county, San Diego
Posts: 974
iTrader: 18 / 100%
Default

Same here?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-25-2010, 11:52 AM
RobT2K's Avatar
RobT2K RobT2K is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 716
iTrader: 19 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjskalka View Post
With Orosco Ridge seemingly permanently closed, I'm looking for a new outdoor area where I can go throw clay pigeons and shoot my steel targets out to a few hundred yards. I'm in the Rancho Bernardo area and wouldn't want to travel too much more than an hour to go shoot. I'm looking for someplace that is 100% legal and not some sketchy area ie BBM. Please help a fellow San Diego shooter out with either a PM or a reply in this thread. Thanks. -Chris
Is BBM "sketchy"? I've never been there, but people were using it for a while with no problems. There were some other BLM areas near there too that a few guys had mentioned to me.

If you shot at orosco ridge, I would think these others would be fine, at least there isn't the threat of crossfire at all times.
__________________
Appleseed:Your forefathers would approve!
www.appleseedinfo.org
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-25-2010, 12:00 PM
rumblebee's Avatar
rumblebee rumblebee is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: San Diego, CA...it's a love\hate thing!
Posts: 1,366
iTrader: 30 / 100%
Default

They are looking to move the shooting area to another part of Palomar and looking for a group to help.

I posted in another thread and got nadda .........any CG'ers wanna step up and see if we can help?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-25-2010, 12:11 PM
cjskalka cjskalka is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 450
iTrader: 19 / 100%
Default

I'm up for helping with anything that brings more outdoor shooting areas to san diego. I described BBM as sketchy only because of all the threads I read about boarder patrol and private property concerns. I didn't feel orosco was sketchy at all because I went at times no one else was there and there was signs designating shooting areas. I'd hate to drive all the way down to the boarder, shoot for 10 minutes and be told to leave by BP, therefore, sketchy.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-25-2010, 12:18 PM
Cheep Cheep is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Too close to the border!
Posts: 892
iTrader: 50 / 100%
Default

Escondido Fish and Game, $145.00 (or so) per year, go everyday if you want!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-25-2010, 12:36 PM
guns4life's Avatar
guns4life guns4life is offline
JUICEBAG
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: In a van...down by the river.
Posts: 4,837
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

Tag
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-25-2010, 3:31 PM
Droppin Deuces Droppin Deuces is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Oceanside, Ca.
Posts: 5,818
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumblebee View Post
They are looking to move the shooting area to another part of Palomar and looking for a group to help.

I posted in another thread and got nadda .........any CG'ers wanna step up and see if we can help?
I'd be perfectly willing to help. I guess it depends on what kind of help, though. I don't have any connections, but physical help...sure. I know of one or two others who would just at the chance as well.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-25-2010, 3:34 PM
cjskalka cjskalka is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 450
iTrader: 19 / 100%
Default

Whats the max range at Escondido Fish and Game? Am I able to bring my own steel targets to shoot? These are my two main selling points, I hate shooting paper.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-25-2010, 3:45 PM
Droppin Deuces Droppin Deuces is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Oceanside, Ca.
Posts: 5,818
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

Isn't that the range by Lake Wholford? I think they have a long waiting list, don't they? I also have heard something about having a current member "sponsor" you.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-25-2010, 3:47 PM
Droppin Deuces Droppin Deuces is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Oceanside, Ca.
Posts: 5,818
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

http://www.escondidofishandgame.com/membership.html
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-25-2010, 4:04 PM
XDRoX's Avatar
XDRoX XDRoX is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 4,408
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

I shoot in Ramona, which has been closed lately. But I like the In-Kah-Pah exit off highway 8 even better. From La Mesa it's a 48 minute drive. Pull right off the freeway and shoot.

Drive another 30 minutes and the desert is wide open shooting for free.

I also belong to South Bay Rod and Gun. It's 30 minutes from La Mesa in Dulzuro. $75 a year and you can shoot for free whenever you want. They have four outdoor ranges.
__________________
Chris
<----Rimfire Addict


Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
Get a DILLON...
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-25-2010, 4:48 PM
sd_shooter's Avatar
sd_shooter sd_shooter is online now
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: San Diego
Posts: 6,599
iTrader: 69 / 100%
Default

There's also the Lemon Grove Rod & Gun Club. Must be a member, but getting in isn't hard AFAIK (my wife took a class there and the place looked ok based on her photos.)
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-25-2010, 9:18 PM
Pubert Pubert is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 84
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumblebee View Post
I posted in another thread and got nadda .........any CG'ers wanna step up and see if we can help?
What do we need to do boss?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-25-2010, 9:27 PM
cjskalka cjskalka is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 450
iTrader: 19 / 100%
Default

I spoke with the someone at the ranger station today and she said that it would be around a year before Orosco has a chance of opening again. They said they are going to have someone from the NRA look at it to determine if its a viable range. She also mentioned environmental tests that need to happen.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-25-2010, 11:35 PM
thefiringline thefiringline is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Clairemont
Posts: 243
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Why does the NRA need to look at it? Maybe they're planning on getting a sponsor for the area and turning it into a gun club type range on NF land? Kind of like WCGC in Santa Barbara.

I can understand the environmental testing. The forest service does that with WCGC as well and I would assume for other "shooting areas."
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-26-2010, 7:32 AM
guns4life's Avatar
guns4life guns4life is offline
JUICEBAG
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: In a van...down by the river.
Posts: 4,837
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

I'm in the NRA, I'll look at it for them.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-26-2010, 7:55 AM
XDRoX's Avatar
XDRoX XDRoX is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 4,408
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Orosco should be closed down IMO. Too dangerous. I've been there on crowded days and bullets and ricochets were flying every which way. There's just too many places to shoot, mixed with some idiots, and it makes for an unsafe range IMO.

My brother-in-law is a Captain of the fire station in Ramona. So he goes there all the time on calls and clean ups and hikes. You'd be amazed at how many people have been hurt there.

I love shooting outdoors, but don't particularly care for Orosco.
__________________
Chris
<----Rimfire Addict


Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
Get a DILLON...

Last edited by XDRoX; 10-26-2010 at 7:58 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-28-2010, 3:33 PM
rumblebee's Avatar
rumblebee rumblebee is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: San Diego, CA...it's a love\hate thing!
Posts: 1,366
iTrader: 30 / 100%
Default

cjskalka...thanks for the info....did that also apply to the "new" area they were looking to set up? I think I'm going to call and talk about that aspect...I think the old spot, is toast!

XDRox...people get hurt at ranges, hunting, driving cars, getting out of bath tubs\etc....maybe we should shut it all down?!...including sporks (ya know..half fork\half spoon), as they can be pretty dangerous too!! Seriously (I kid).....yes, it has it's challenges...but, I've been there when responsible people were there or on a weekday...it's NICE

sorry...I'm not ready to give in just yet
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-10-2010, 10:16 AM
myoconstruct's Avatar
myoconstruct myoconstruct is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 62
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

i have been to this place once and plan on going there instead of orosco. way better. i set up my targets out to about 300y. wide open.

here is the map
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=32.617...3,0.03298&z=16

GPS coordinates: 32.617382 -116.785891



Directions:

∑ Take I-15 S

∑ Take I-8 E

∑ Take CA-125 S

∑ Take CA-94 E

∑ Turn right on CA-94 E / Campo Rd

∑ Turn right on Marron Valley Rd (Note: do not follow Google directions telling you to turn on Donahoe Spur Rd)

∑ Follow the road until pavement stops and you pass the South Bay Rod & Gun Club

∑ Keep going straight on the dirt road for about half a mile and take the first right

∑ Drive about a mile on that road

∑ Turn right on the 2nd dirt road next to a tall tree

∑ After 1000 feet, drive up to the group of tall trees on your left (can’t miss them)

phone # of the local ranger (619) 468-3536 his name is joseph. he recommended this spot to target shoot.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-10-2010, 10:34 AM
YourHuckleberry's Avatar
YourHuckleberry YourHuckleberry is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Southern Cal
Posts: 879
iTrader: 20 / 95%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoconstruct View Post
i have been to this place once and plan on going there instead of orosco. way better. i set up my targets out to about 300y. wide open.

here is the map
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=32.617...3,0.03298&z=16

GPS coordinates: 32.617382 -116.785891



Directions:

∑ Take I-15 S

∑ Take I-8 E

∑ Take CA-125 S

∑ Take CA-94 E

∑ Turn right on CA-94 E / Campo Rd

∑ Turn right on Marron Valley Rd (Note: do not follow Google directions telling you to turn on Donahoe Spur Rd)

∑ Follow the road until pavement stops and you pass the South Bay Rod & Gun Club

∑ Keep going straight on the dirt road for about half a mile and take the first right

∑ Drive about a mile on that road

∑ Turn right on the 2nd dirt road next to a tall tree

∑ After 1000 feet, drive up to the group of tall trees on your left (canít miss them)

phone # of the local ranger (619) 468-3536 his name is joseph. he recommended this spot to target shoot.
Nice work!
__________________
Raising a glass to the Willie McBrides of the world
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-10-2010, 12:06 PM
cjskalka cjskalka is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 450
iTrader: 19 / 100%
Default

wow this is awesome, thanks for sharing!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-10-2010, 9:36 PM
thefiringline thefiringline is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Clairemont
Posts: 243
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoconstruct View Post
i have been to this place once and plan on going there instead of orosco. way better. i set up my targets out to about 300y. wide open.

here is the map
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=32.617...3,0.03298&z=16

GPS coordinates: 32.617382 -116.785891



Directions:

∑ Take I-15 S

∑ Take I-8 E

∑ Take CA-125 S

∑ Take CA-94 E

∑ Turn right on CA-94 E / Campo Rd

∑ Turn right on Marron Valley Rd (Note: do not follow Google directions telling you to turn on Donahoe Spur Rd)

∑ Follow the road until pavement stops and you pass the South Bay Rod & Gun Club

∑ Keep going straight on the dirt road for about half a mile and take the first right

∑ Drive about a mile on that road

∑ Turn right on the 2nd dirt road next to a tall tree

∑ After 1000 feet, drive up to the group of tall trees on your left (canít miss them)

phone # of the local ranger (619) 468-3536 his name is joseph. he recommended this spot to target shoot.
I think I and alot of other people who shoot there would prefer if people don't post directions to this place for all to see. If people really want to shoot there, they can find it for themselves. While I understand that most of the members on calguns are probably responsible shooters, this is a public forum and I worry the same type of idiots who were consistently shooting trash out at Jacumba and leaving it there will eventually make their way to said area after finding directions easily posted online.

I understand you and the others who post in this thread are just trying to find a place to shoot. That area already gets alot of traffic on weekends. While I can't stop you from posting directions for all to see, It would be nice if we could keep it open for shooting by keeping the directions to PM's and remembering to pick up everything we leave out there.

I don't mean to sound like an *******, I just think its better for everyone if we don't post directions on an open public forum.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-12-2010, 10:54 AM
sd_shooter's Avatar
sd_shooter sd_shooter is online now
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: San Diego
Posts: 6,599
iTrader: 69 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefiringline View Post
I think I and alot of other people who shoot there would prefer if people don't post directions to this place for all to see. If people really want to shoot there, they can find it for themselves. While I understand that most of the members on calguns are probably responsible shooters, this is a public forum and I worry the same type of idiots who were consistently shooting trash out at Jacumba and leaving it there will eventually make their way to said area after finding directions easily posted online.

I understand you and the others who post in this thread are just trying to find a place to shoot. That area already gets alot of traffic on weekends. While I can't stop you from posting directions for all to see, It would be nice if we could keep it open for shooting by keeping the directions to PM's and remembering to pick up everything we leave out there.

I don't mean to sound like an *******, I just think its better for everyone if we don't post directions on an open public forum.
Agreed. Most people who frequent BLM spots don't pick up their trash. Stick to taking your friends instead of sharing directions on the web.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-06-2011, 9:19 PM
Brown Rock's Avatar
Brown Rock Brown Rock is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: El Cajon, CA
Posts: 3,803
iTrader: 20 / 95%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoconstruct View Post
i have been to this place once and plan on going there instead of orosco. way better. i set up my targets out to about 300y. wide open.

here is the map
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=32.617...3,0.03298&z=16

GPS coordinates: 32.617382 -116.785891



Directions:

∑ Take I-15 S

∑ Take I-8 E

∑ Take CA-125 S

∑ Take CA-94 E

∑ Turn right on CA-94 E / Campo Rd

∑ Turn right on Marron Valley Rd (Note: do not follow Google directions telling you to turn on Donahoe Spur Rd)

∑ Follow the road until pavement stops and you pass the South Bay Rod & Gun Club

∑ Keep going straight on the dirt road for about half a mile and take the first right

∑ Drive about a mile on that road

∑ Turn right on the 2nd dirt road next to a tall tree

∑ After 1000 feet, drive up to the group of tall trees on your left (can’t miss them)

phone # of the local ranger (619) 468-3536 his name is joseph. he recommended this spot to target shoot.
Yes finally. A new spot to shoot at.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJ View Post
You're weird. But that's ok because you're far away.

Last edited by Brown Rock; 02-06-2011 at 9:57 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-07-2011, 7:00 PM
AEC1's Avatar
AEC1 AEC1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Millington TN. FREEDOM!
Posts: 1,659
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Epic fail. Wont be able to shot at that spot again good job!
__________________
Land of the Free BECAUSE of the brave.


Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaMasterTech View Post
So far, I've had six beers, four redbulls, eight twinkies and I'm REALLY afraid to fart!
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-07-2011, 10:07 PM
Brown Rock's Avatar
Brown Rock Brown Rock is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: El Cajon, CA
Posts: 3,803
iTrader: 20 / 95%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC1 View Post
Epic fail. Wont be able to shot at that spot again good job!
true.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJ View Post
You're weird. But that's ok because you're far away.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-08-2011, 8:19 AM
guns4life's Avatar
guns4life guns4life is offline
JUICEBAG
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: In a van...down by the river.
Posts: 4,837
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

^ you copied my avatar, and you live in my city!?!

Next you're gonna tell me you're 6' 250 and you drive a Wrangler too!





j/k of course....
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 02-08-2011, 8:31 AM
Brown Rock's Avatar
Brown Rock Brown Rock is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: El Cajon, CA
Posts: 3,803
iTrader: 20 / 95%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by guns4life View Post
^ you copied my avatar, and you live in my city!?!

Next you're gonna tell me you're 6' 250 and you drive a Wrangler too!





j/k of course....
Oh damn. Bread helmet guy is epic.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJ View Post
You're weird. But that's ok because you're far away.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02-09-2011, 12:05 PM
libarata libarata is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 6
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Well, being as this a year or so old... is this place still safe to go to for recreational paper slaughter?
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-09-2011, 3:21 PM
Someday Someday is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 245
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC1 View Post
Epic fail. Wont be able to shot at that spot again good job!
I, for one, am happy that the directions were posted. Ever since Carrizo Ridge closed, I have been at a loss as to where I could take my boys shooting. While I have been to the Gun and Rod club's range, I never realized that there was one beyond that. Now there is a place that I can take my boys. I agree, though, the actual directions could have been a PM only thing with a teaser thread saying that they exist for any member who would like a PM about them. Oh well, I can't wait to check out the range.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-09-2011, 4:27 PM
FrankDux's Avatar
FrankDux FrankDux is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 879
iTrader: 89 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDRoX View Post
Orosco should be closed down IMO. Too dangerous. I've been there on crowded days and bullets and ricochets were flying every which way. There's just too many places to shoot, mixed with some idiots, and it makes for an unsafe range IMO.

My brother-in-law is a Captain of the fire station in Ramona. So he goes there all the time on calls and clean ups and hikes. You'd be amazed at how many people have been hurt there.

I love shooting outdoors, but don't particularly care for Orosco.
Would have to agree with you on this. used to go there quite a bit. whos your brother in law? i work for FD out there too. last time i heard it was open was about 8 months ago i went out on a call for possible gun shot wound. it was a guy boy hunting for coyote and ricochet got him in the shoulder. but i never felt too safe there.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-11-2011, 5:59 AM
AEC1's Avatar
AEC1 AEC1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Millington TN. FREEDOM!
Posts: 1,659
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someday View Post
I, for one, am happy that the directions were posted. Ever since Carrizo Ridge closed, I have been at a loss as to where I could take my boys shooting. While I have been to the Gun and Rod club's range, I never realized that there was one beyond that. Now there is a place that I can take my boys. I agree, though, the actual directions could have been a PM only thing with a teaser thread saying that they exist for any member who would like a PM about them. Oh well, I can't wait to check out the range.
This area is no where near as large as Carrizo, on this road there are about 3-5 places suitible to shoot at, each will support only one group of4-5 shooters if they are together. As it is now if you are not there early in the AM then you are not going to shoot unless you back track and go back to BBM or the power lines. SO TO BAD THAT YOU ARE GLAD! this screws us all!!!
__________________
Land of the Free BECAUSE of the brave.


Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaMasterTech View Post
So far, I've had six beers, four redbulls, eight twinkies and I'm REALLY afraid to fart!
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 02-11-2011, 5:12 PM
thefiringline thefiringline is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Clairemont
Posts: 243
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC1 View Post
This area is no where near as large as Carrizo, on this road there are about 3-5 places suitible to shoot at, each will support only one group of4-5 shooters if they are together. As it is now if you are not there early in the AM then you are not going to shoot unless you back track and go back to BBM or the power lines. SO TO BAD THAT YOU ARE GLAD! this screws us all!!!
This is true. The roads in and out of there are also narrow and it is near a BLM "sensitive habitat area." This is also the start of the Otay Mountain Truck Trail and gets lots of OR traffic. The ranger there is already worked up about people leaving trash there. There was already a small fire started out there. We don't need an even greater influx of people descending upon the area and making BLM want to close it for good.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 02-11-2011, 5:31 PM
THE NEW GUY
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
iTrader: / %
Default

What does the law state?

If we load up 4 wheel drives and find our own place thats not pvt ppt, can we just set up and shoot?

I've seen many unpopulated ares with natural back drops for safety on the way to AZ.

I always wanted to pull off the 8 and blast some rattle snakes.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 02-13-2011, 5:54 PM
Someday Someday is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 245
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Seeing this thread is a few months old now, does anyone have any data on how much more traffic the area is getting since the directions were posted?
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 02-13-2011, 8:16 PM
thefiringline thefiringline is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Clairemont
Posts: 243
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

The last time I was out there was right about the time this thread was posted or just shortly after. I'm not blaming the thread, but the word is getting out about the spot. I brought along four friends to the spot and we were in two vehicles. We got there just before 11am and caught a group just as they were packing up at the better spot in the area. As soon as we started unpacking, three carloads of people rolled by on three separate instances... I'm assuming they wanted to see if anyone was already set up at the good spot. By just after mid day, we heard about 4 other groups of people in the area and saw two jeeps go by in the direction of the otay truck trail.

Word is getting out about the spot. It is getting alot of traffic. Some of these people are bound to be pigs about what they shoot and how much trash they leave behind. It doesn't help to have the directions posted publicly. Not only can everyone who has access to the internet see them, but its rude to the people on this forum who actually use the spot frequently and clean up after themselves and cooperate with Ranger Funk when he asks us to not use steel core ammo or shoot trash.

Myoconstruct may think he/she is doing a service to the Calguns community, who knows. In all actuality, this should have been kept to PM's.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 02-13-2011, 10:26 PM
fatkidjake's Avatar
fatkidjake fatkidjake is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 86
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

I have been going to this area for a little more than a year, but have never been to the destinations outed by the the above post. Good place to go, rarely see other, and the BP is usually pretty cool. The only bad part is that it is hell and gone from north county.

On another note, I was told by a friend, a guy at Parallax told him that he has been shooting at Orosco for the past few weekend. Not certain if it's been reopened or if he's going on his own will while still being closed.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 5:10 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.