Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 06-07-2006, 8:01 PM

Default Mas 49/56

I have the opportunity to pick up a 49/56 for a damn good price, but the grenade launcher is in the way.

Any way to remove/disable the thing?

Last edited by Snuffalofogus; 06-07-2006 at 8:06 PM..
Old 06-07-2006, 9:19 PM

I saw a guy at the range with one once and his had no grenade launcher. I asked, and he told me it was pinned on.

I don't know how the rest of MAS rifles are assembled, but even if the launcher was welded on it would be easily removed with a lathe. You might not even have to take the barrel off the receiver if the bbl is long enough to go all the way through the lathe's headstock; the launcher could be parted off and the new muzzle surface recrowned inside of 20 minutes. Then cold blue.

If you need to expediently remove the launcher in another state before bringing the rifle home and there's no apparent way to remove it, you can hacksaw it carefully (use a steel hose clamp as a guide) and then get it recrowned.
Old 06-08-2006, 7:11 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott.cr

If you need to expediently remove the launcher in another state before bringing the rifle home and there's no apparent way to remove it, you can hacksaw it carefully (use a steel hose clamp as a guide) and then get it recrowned.

I'd do the whole job with a pipe cutter, hacksaw, and some files... It can be done nicely if you take your time.

JP
Old 06-08-2006, 11:17 AM

It's pretty straightforward to remove it. There is a smaller locking ring behind the muzzlebrake which is held in place by a thin washer which is staked into some slots.

Tap the staked washer out of the slots and then unscrew the brake. You can use a hardened punch to slide through the holes in the brake to give you leverage and then unscrew. It's tight but it will come loose.

Just unscrew the brake, retaining ring, then slide off the launcher ring.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:35 PM

Does anyone know what size the threads are?
Old 07-20-2006, 1:13 PM

Default Mas 49/56

Curious if anyone has successfully transfered one into CA sans GL.
Are there issues relating to their C&R status if the GL is removed?
Old 07-21-2006, 12:13 PM

Some of the big C&R retailers (like Interordnance) have been selling Yugo 59/66 to CA residents with the GL removed so they apparently don't think it is a problem.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:46 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

California does not consider the MAS grenade launchers to be grenade launchers... They never read a translated manual that says they fire 22mm grenades.

36/51s and 49/56s are still legal to buy and sell here.
Old 07-21-2006, 1:06 PM
Calguns Addict

If you were ultra paranoid, you could turn down the factory GL say a few MMs, it would still look right after you reblue it, but would no longer function as a GL. I'm surprised no one tried to do this with the Yugo SKS GL, it would look more original- after all, who can tell if you took off 2-3mm and finished it correctly?

-Dave
Old 07-21-2006, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryh
Curious if anyone has successfully transfered one into CA sans GL.
Are there issues relating to their C&R status if the GL is removed?

I talked to a guy who Private Party transfered 2 over a few months at Big 5's in the Bay Area. This was a few years ago. His were like brand new too!
Old 07-21-2006, 5:33 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saki302
If you were ultra paranoid, you could turn down the factory GL say a few MMs, it would still look right after you reblue it, but would no longer function as a GL. I'm surprised no one tried to do this with the Yugo SKS GL, it would look more original- after all, who can tell if you took off 2-3mm and finished it correctly?

-Dave

When I got my Yugo in '03 it was one of the first w/the GL on it, and I DROS'd it and took it home with it in place

Now of course its long gone, it went bye-bye the next day. Now she's 16" and much handier.

JP
Old 07-21-2006, 6:26 PM

I got a MAS a few years ago sans GL. It too was in near new condition. The only problem I had was with some of the ammo I originally had for it. Wouldn't cycle. The 139 grain stuff cleared that right up. One of my favorite rifles.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:26 PM

Likely most FFL's would not want to transfer it in without the
GL and brake/flash hider(which is it?) removed?
Old 07-22-2006, 12:14 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
California does not consider the MAS grenade launchers to be grenade launchers... They never read a translated manual that says they fire 22mm grenades.

I wouldn't want to tempt fate. The grenade launcher law is a separate law from the assault weapon law. They get a "destructive device" category all their own.

12301. (a) The term "destructive device," as used in this chapter, shall include any of the following weapons:
(2) Any bomb, grenade, explosive missile, or similar device or any launching device therefor.

12303. Any person, firm, or corporation who, within this state, possesses any destructive device, other than fixed ammunition of a caliber greater than .60 caliber, except as provided by this chapter, is guilty of a public offense and upon conviction thereof shall be punished by imprisonment in the county jail for a term not to exceed one year, or in state prison, or by a fine not to exceed ten thousand dollars ($10,000) or by both such fine and imprisonment.

Now here's the conundrum: if one law says that you may not possess them at all (the destructive device law) and the other says it's okay, so long as you register it (AW law), which one is right?

12276.1 (a) Notwithstanding Penal Code section 12276, “assault weapon” shall also mean the following: Rifles (1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following: (D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
Old 07-23-2006, 1:57 PM
Veteran Member

Since the MAs 49/56 is 50+ years old it retains it's Curio and Relic status, even when not in factory/issued condition, because it is old enough to be a Relic. That's why even many sporterized firearms are still C&Rs even though they are not in factory or issued condition.
Old 07-25-2006, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenophobe

Wow, I have always assumed these rifles, with their original launcher ring, were illegal in CA. This is great news.

BTW how do you know this? Can you point me to where it's written.
Old 12-25-2006, 11:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenophobe

Doing an old search, I resurrected this thread from the dead. It directly starts to discuss my question, but left me hanging for documentation.

Does anyone know of, or can possibly cite, actual text of CA law that differentiates between the size or functioning characteristics of grenade launchers, outlining some being legal as opposed to others? The Yugo 59/66 launcher is clearly shown on the DOJ website as a problem, and regards others as "similar". (I hate that; DOJ should be forced to show, identify, or list all such contraptions, just like with the OLL issue.)

My specific question pertains to the French MAS 49/56 device. If anything exists as Xeno has noted, I would appreciate anyone to post the specific Firearms Code or a link here.

Thanks!

Last edited by CALI-gula; 04-30-2007 at 8:51 AM..
Old 12-26-2006, 3:19 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Does anyone know of, or can possibly cite, actual text of CA law that differentiates between the size or functioning characteristics of grenade launchers, outlining some being legal as opposed to others
Seems clear to me. If it is called a grenade launcher then it is grenade launcher no matter if it's .60" or 22mm. The DOJ does not care. The .60" applies to the projectile only anyway as stated in 12301 (4).

Put it this way: if here's an inkling that it may be illegal then the DOJ would pursure it no matter what. Why take that chance?

Stupid laws - I know......
Old 12-26-2006, 8:58 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zatoh
...Put it this way: if there's an inkling that it may be illegal then the DOJ would pursure it no matter what. Why take that chance? Stupid laws - I know......
Exactly my thoughts as well - and I assume it applies to the MAS 49/56.

Last edited by CALI-gula; 04-30-2007 at 8:46 AM..
Old 12-26-2006, 10:03 AM
Vendor/Retailer

From what I understand, if you machine down the muzzlebrake/grenade launching device down enough where it can no longer accept a rifle launched grenade, then that is just a muzzlebrake?

At least that is what I have rececently experienced with bringing in a BM69.

Reese Surplus sells what they call a Tricompensator which is basically the muzzlebrake/grenade laucher device machined down so it can no longer accept a grenade and it is now only considered a long muzzlebrake.

I understand the law states in plain english grenade launcher is bad joo joo, but if it can no longer be a grenade laucher after permanent modification (machinging down the diameter of the device so it is no longer operable as a grenade launcher), then does it still matter?
San Fernando, CA 91340

Email: sales@addaxtactical.com

Phone: (818) 361-5008

Last edited by Addax; 12-26-2006 at 4:21 PM..
Old 12-26-2006, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member

If you remove the grenade launcher, DOJ has no issues with it. It's no differnt than removing other evil features for compliance on NON-Roberti-Roos listed rifles. Just what constitutes the definition of grenade launching device and were there any such contraptions called that but do not qualify as such?

Hell, my arm could be a grenade launching device! Does the DOJ want me to cut it off??

Last edited by CALI-gula; 04-30-2007 at 8:46 AM..
Old 12-26-2006, 4:28 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Many different body parts could legally be considered a grenade launching device... LOL

Yeah, I hear you.

I owned 2 of these beautiful rifles (one was a complete sniper rig) which I sold and made 6 times what I paid for it.

I hated to part with them, but I needed to feed the habit and buy more new stuff!

These are one of the most underrated rifles! They are really solid rifles and are pretty accurate for a battle rifle.

I wish you luck in your quest for answers/solutions to this situation.
San Fernando, CA 91340

Email: sales@addaxtactical.com

Phone: (818) 361-5008
Old 12-27-2006, 9:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffalofogus
I have the opportunity to pick up a 49/56 for a damn good price, but the grenade launcher is in the way.

Any way to remove/disable the thing?
If those are the two 49/56s in .308 and imported by SOG beware, they did a bad job and have all kinds of problems feeding and such.

-ken
Old 07-03-2007, 4:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALI-gula View Post
If you remove the grenade launcher, DOJ has no issues with it.
Does this removal require any irreversible modifications?
Old 07-03-2007, 5:45 PM

its a no no an CA. w/ a GL, I've seen SKS w/ GL that were modified by soldering a washer to the Muzzle Brake which would not allow a grenade to be inserted - actually came w/ a letter from ATF that this was ok in CA.
Old 07-03-2007, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeleny View Post
If you saw my reply earlier you'd see that it simply unscrews. Nothing irreversible at all.
Old 07-05-2007, 3:38 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeleny View Post
No, there is a lock washer between the flash-hider locking nut/ring that butts against the flash-hider, by which you simply flatten two raised locking tabs, which keeps the flash hider tight against the locking ring, essentially locking it in place. The flash hider then unscrews easily like on any other rifle, (some may need a bit of muscle or WD-40 depending on condition of your rifle) and then you can remove the adjustable lock ring for the "launcher". Very simple, but the tabs on the locking washer on the flash hider can be tricky to get flat. Mine came of easily, without any ummph or heft required.

Without the button activated lock ring, there is no ability for the "launcher" to work, however, depending on your comfort level, you may want to remove the flip up launcher sight as well. Ridiculous anyway, since it's not like you can go up to K-Mart and buy a 12 pack of French MAS launching grenades! They are rather rare even by collector standards. In any case, I guess some overly hyper jack-hole bent on destruction of your firearms could consider the "evil looking contraption" of the flip-up launcher sight as part of the launcher and cause you trouble, even if later it was determined in court that all the disassembly that was required was removal of the lock ring.

I removed mine, but regret doing so - with just the lock ring removed, there is hardly a noticeable difference in the classic look of these rifles, however the rifle looks naked without the launcher sight.

Last edited by CALI-gula; 07-05-2007 at 3:53 PM..