Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 02-12-2017, 4:08 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default PSA, check, check, and re check.

I dialed in my 550 to crsnk out some .40 ammo, and have been pulling 100 or so rounds, trying to get to 1k, to fill an ammo box and change caliber, without a marathon session.

Yesterday, i pulled about 20 and the primer alarm went off, so i refilled. I noticed the bullet try had about 100 left, so i was going to finish it, then switch over to .38 spl for 500 or so.

I started in on the remainder, and really got a rhythm going, not fast but smooth. I noticed one case wasnt primed, so i pulled it before dropping a proj, and ran it through again.

Prior to this, primer issues have always been a failure to prime at the station, easily spotted when the cup still had a primer after the shell was moved to station 2.

Well, i glanced at my output and my eagle eyes spotted a completed round that also didnt get primed. Well, i spotted one because every case in the oiutput was unprimed. Like 70 of them.

I futzed with the primer arm and couldnt get it to drop a primer, and a glance at the alarm rod told me it stopped feeeding primers when i refilled it. Whatever i did, it fixed it and i ran about five more and the primer feed is working again.

I impact pulled six rounds and decided to get a collet puller.

Now i get to "unmake" rounds the least fun way possible.

Lesson, check everything frequently, particularly after something like a primer refill. I now check the primer arm in both directions, is there a primer there before and did it get inserted.

This has been a message funded by my recent purchase of a collet bullet puller.

Now back to your regular programming.

Cue the Dillon never malfunctions humor, then scold me for being complacent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior View Post
Please stop judging me. Your ad hominem attack does nothing more than show you don't pack the gear for this debate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-Hero View Post
I love this thread. One person standing alone masturbating furiously, while everyone else is pointing and laughing at his small weenie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lear60man View Post
My transvestite analogy stands.
XXXXXXX
Old 02-12-2017, 4:35 PM

Thanks op
Old 02-12-2017, 4:36 PM

ouch
Old 02-12-2017, 4:53 PM

How much powder got spilled? I have completed a few .223 cases without a primer, and it is messy. Hopefully you didn't lose too much.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Nov 28 had interview
Jan 17 received Utah permit (still waiting on EDC)
Old 02-12-2017, 5:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessdigs View Post
How much powder got spilled? I have completed a few .223 cases without a primer, and it is messy. Hopefully you didn't lose too much.

Maybe a quarter teaspoon. It trickles out of the primer pocket, not much. Its Unique, so its not a fine ball.

What a pain. Precious loading time wasted screwing up, then more time wasted fixing it.
Quote:
Please stop judging me. Your ad hominem attack does nothing more than show you don't pack the gear for this debate.
Quote:
I love this thread. One person standing alone masturbating furiously, while everyone else is pointing and laughing at his small weenie.
Quote:
XXXXXXX
Old 02-12-2017, 5:02 PM

Well that's good. CFE 223 flows out of a small primer pocket like water

Nov 28 had interview
Jan 17 received Utah permit (still waiting on EDC)
Old 02-12-2017, 7:23 PM

We all make mistakes, man. I've missed some primers on a few cartridges.

As for pullers, this will be my next purchase. No additional collets to buy and it looks really solid.

http://grip-n-pull.com/
Old 02-12-2017, 8:14 PM

Been there, done that, but not to the tune of 70 rounds. Yeesh, what a pain! But, we've all learned at least one reloading lesson "The hard way". Glad you cought it before you had 200 pass through!
Old 02-13-2017, 7:25 AM

Been there, done that. Anytime I notice powder grains in the tray the round eject into I check to make sure all pieces have a new primer. Any I find I pull them because there's no telling how much powder came out.
Old 02-13-2017, 8:44 AM

You couldn't tell on the upstroke that you were not seating primers?
Old 02-13-2017, 8:50 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanks View Post
You couldn't tell on the upstroke that you were not seating primers?
Nope, It was going through the motions and felt the same, it's kind of a pop on the last part of the upstroke.

Maybe I'm not one enough with the machine.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
XXXXXXX
Old 02-17-2017, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varanidguy View Post
We all make mistakes, man. I've missed some primers on a few cartridges.

As for pullers, this will be my next purchase. No additional collets to buy and it looks really solid.

http://grip-n-pull.com/

I just got my Grip-N-Pull in the mail today. I took pics of packaging and unit. Looks well made. Can't wait to try it out. Unit came well packaged via the mail. Picture below is after the outer mail package was removed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by McGuiver; 02-17-2017 at 6:51 PM..
Old 02-17-2017, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGuiver View Post
I just got my Grip-N-Pull in the mail today. I took pics of packaging and unit. Looks well made. Can't wait to try it out.

Fantastic! I have a few rounds sitting around that I need to pull, waiting to get this tool (for both rifle and pistol) in order to try it out. Thank you for sharing!
Old 02-17-2017, 6:54 PM

I will be ordering a rifle one next week. Wanted to see the quality first before ordering a second one.

Old 02-17-2017, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Fantastic! I have a few rounds sitting around that I need to pull, waiting to get this tool (for both rifle and pistol) in order to try it out. Thank you for sharing!

I ordered it right after you posted your first link. I have a Hornady collet puller that works well, but it is slow. I pulled down almost 1k of 38 Super for the FMJ bullets. Still have more to pull. I purchased these knowing they were pull downs. Some had no powder, and some cases were stuffed full.
Old 02-17-2017, 6:59 PM

Quote:
I ordered it right after you posted your first link. I have a Hornady collet puller that works well, but it is slow. I pulled down almost 1k of 38 Super for the FMJ bullets. Still have more to pull. I purchased these knowing they were pull downs. Some had no powder, and some cases were stuffed full.
Awesome! Please keep us posted on how you like it and how well it works!
Old 02-19-2017, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Awesome! Please keep us posted on how you like it and how well it works!

We I have to report that I'm very disappointed with the GRIP-N-PULL.

All it did was slip off my FMJ bullets. It also does not work on lead only bullets. I went back to the trusty Hornady collet puller. I also almost bruised my hand while trying to squeeze the GRIP-N-PULL. I will not be using it again. So buyer beware. I will not be purchasing the rifle version at all. I will post some pics of the bullets I tried to pull with it.

Old 02-19-2017, 6:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
We I have to report that I'm very disappointed with the GRIP-N-PULL.

All it did was slip off my FMJ bullets. It also does not work on lead only bullets. I went back to the trusty Hornady collet puller. I also almost bruised my hand while trying to squeeze the GRIP-N-PULL. I will not be using it again. So buyer beware. I will not be purchasing the rifle version at all. I will post some pics of the bullets I tried to pull with it.

That's a bummer because at first glance it looks like a neat product. Id also be curious to know what the projectiles look like after a successful pull. Does this tool leave an indent or ring marks where the tool gripped it? I use a kinetic puller and thankfully I've never had to pull more than a couple. I would probably go insane tring to pull 1k (or even 70) by any method..

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

“I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.” - Clint Eastwood
Old 02-19-2017, 6:46 PM

I have both an impact puller and a collet puller. There are some bullets that would be impossible to use the impact tool or the hand shown above. Some mil surplus ammo pulled from machine gun belts is both crimped hard and sealant used. I'd heard of sealant used on primers in mil ammo but found it has also been used on the bullet in some 303 british ammo I pulled. Those were hard to pull even with the collet but no damage to bullet. see pic below of sealant on 303 bullet. The most I've pulled in one session was 100 and that seemed tedious.

Old 02-19-2017, 6:56 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

You might try a suitable socket that fits on top of the press..let the bullet come up through the socket and grip the bullet with a pair of side cutters and lower the ram...quick and easy..ruins the bullet but if you don't have many to mess with it's super easy and no cost...
Old 02-19-2017, 8:24 PM

Well, here is part of the Ammo I was pulling. 38 Super with FMJ's.

I think I ended up pulling about 300 rounds with the collet puller. I gave up after 3 rounds trying to pull them with the GRIP-N-PULL.

These were 2 or the 3 rounds that the GRIP-N-PULL about bruised my hands. Would not grip them. I gave up...Collet puller is the way to go.

Grip and pull failing to grip. Stripping copper off the FMJ bullets.

Looks like the holes are not perfectly round. They are not hitting all the way around the tool.

My finished product with the collet puller.

I would still be there on round 13 with the GRIP-N-PULL, and still not be successful. Only bullets harmed during this exercise was from the GRIP-N-PULL. Pulled down powder went into my roses. Pulled down bullets will be used to make 9mm rounds. Pulled down 38 Super brass will be sold.

Sorry for the let down of the GRIP-N-PULL. I will be calling them for a refund on the tool Monday morning. I had high hopes for the tool. I think there is to much neck tension on the pistol bullets. Rifle bullets may pull easier as long as there is no sealant.

In case you didn't notice the damaged rounds...

Last edited by McGuiver; 02-19-2017 at 9:01 PM..
Old 02-20-2017, 12:00 AM

Quote:

I think I ended up pulling about 300 rounds with the collet puller. I gave up after 3 rounds trying to pull them with the GRIP-N-PULL.

These were 2 or the 3 rounds that the GRIP-N-PULL about bruised my hands. Would not grip them. I gave up...Collet puller is the way to go.

Looks like the holes are not perfectly round. They are not hitting all the way around the tool.

I would still be there on round 13 with the GRIP-N-PULL, and still not be successful. Only bullets harmed during this exercise was from the GRIP-N-PULL. Pulled down powder went into my roses. Pulled down bullets will be used to make 9mm rounds. Pulled down 38 Super brass will be sold.

Sorry for the let down of the GRIP-N-PULL. I will be calling them for a refund on the tool Monday morning. I had high hopes for the tool. I think there is to much neck tension on the pistol bullets. Rifle bullets may pull easier as long as there is no sealant.

That is a huge let down. The tool looked so damn promising!

Let us know what they say when you call them tomorrow. I'm really curious to see how they handle the situation.
Old 02-25-2017, 8:44 AM

Quote:

Any update on how they handled your claim?
Old 02-25-2017, 11:21 PM

I have called every day this week at a few different times during the day. All I get is the answering machine. I will be sending them an email, and if no response, I will dispute it with my C/C company.

Old 02-26-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
I have called every day this week at a few different times during the day. All I get is the answering machine. I will be sending them an email, and if no response, I will dispute it with my C/C company.

Oh man that is terrible! I'm sorry this happened.
Old 02-26-2017, 1:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Progressives can make ammo fast. They can also make mistakes fast.

I use an RCBS collet puller if I have more than a few.

#Blackolivesmatter
Old 02-26-2017, 1:45 PM
Just me, baby. Just me.
CGN Contributor

Just finish 'em off with a hand primer!
Old 02-26-2017, 1:45 PM
Just me, baby. Just me.
CGN Contributor

(Don't do that ^ )
Old 02-26-2017, 1:50 PM
Just me, baby. Just me.
CGN Contributor

McGuiver, what's the deal with all your primers? Every single one of them looks like it was forced in to place and is messed up. Whoever loaded those needs to step back and slow down, a bunch! I assume that's why they're in need of pulling down, but that's a lot of rounds to go through before noticing primers going in crooked.
Old 02-26-2017, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
McGuiver, what's the deal with all your primers? Every single one of them looks like it was forced in to place and is messed up. Whoever loaded those needs to step back and slow down, a bunch! I assume that's why they're in need of pulling down, but that's a lot of rounds to go through before noticing primers going in crooked.

When I purchased those, they were all messed up. I was told someone loaded them on a automated Dillon 1050 press. I heard they started it and walked away. Some had primers in sideways, some upside down. Some had no powder, some had so much they bulged the case because they were compressed. I mainly purchased them for the FMJ bullets. I will shoot the FMJ's in my 9mm loads. I purchased about 1500 rounds total.