Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 07-23-2017, 7:28 PM
NRA Life member
CGN Contributor

Default Is this lead?

I want to get into casting but need to find some lead first. I local seller has this which they described as "hardened lead". Doesn't look like wheel weights.
Old 07-23-2017, 7:44 PM

Could be linotype and roof jacks. So yea it could be lead.
Old 07-23-2017, 7:54 PM

the pipe is pure lead the blocks are printing lead either mono or foundry type very high in alloys can be mixed like 1 part to 2-3 parts of the pure to get a real good all round alloy.
Old 07-23-2017, 9:46 PM
NRA Life member
CGN Contributor

Thanks for the info.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:25 PM

The blocks look to be linotype. Good stuff to up the hardness of your cast.

Still alive, still fight.

Antelope Valley grown, now State of Jefferson transplant.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:24 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdfact View Post
I want to get into casting but need to find some lead first. I local seller has this which they described as "hardened lead". Doesn't look like wheel weights.
If those blocks are Lino, and they look like it like what others said, look closely and see if you can see some with letters on them, like a typeface or something. Then, when you melt down yer lead, Keep the lino SEPARATED. In fact, keep it like it is now, do not melt it down into a larger mess. IIRC, you only need about 4% of Antimony in your lead mix and you can get very hard boolits from it. Lino is a lot of Antimony, so if you mixed about half a pot of lead and half Lino, you would be wasting the Lino by mixing too much.

The thing to do is see how soft the lead pipes are. If those are pure lead, melt them down first and keep those ingots separated from the Lino ingots if you melt them down.

You should consider your lead collection as ingredients for making boolits. SOMETIMES you want pure lead for HP applications, other times you want some hardened up stuff.

Also, for the record- Pure lead that is very soft will be worth about $1.00/lb while Lino will be worth $2.50/lb or so. I do not pay $2.50/lb, but I heard it was the going rate a few months back. I do not look for Lino, I have about 90 lbs and I use it to add to my melt so I can have that 4% mixture.

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

And remember- When you see somebody crying, go up to them and ask if it's because of their haircut...

Last edited by stilly; 07-24-2017 at 12:29 AM..
Old 07-24-2017, 8:05 AM

Linotype is 82% lead, 12% antimony and 4% tin. I often mix it 50-50 by weight with pure lead which produces a mix of 92-6-2 % of lead, antimony and tin known as "hardball". There are other ratios that are quite useful, and having a good supply of linotype and pure lead is really handy. I'm not sure either, if that stuffyou have is really linotype. It doesn't look like the stuff I have.
Old 07-24-2017, 9:27 AM
NRA Life member
CGN Contributor

Is 'pure' linotype too hard for bullets? Or would a bullet made of lino be lighter/heavier than a bullet made with a higher lead content?
Old 07-24-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Is 'pure' linotype too hard for bullets? Or would a bullet made of lino be lighter/heavier than a bullet made with a higher lead content?
It depends on the bullet, firearm and load. The Lyman reloading manual lists many loads using bullets cast from linotype, mostly for heavier bullet loads such as .44 mag. It is not suitable for all cast bullets by any means.

Last edited by wbunning; 07-24-2017 at 10:31 AM..
Old 07-24-2017, 11:09 AM
NRA Life member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbunning View Post
It depends on the bullet, firearm and load. The Lyman reloading manual lists many loads using bullets cast from linotype, mostly for heavier bullet loads such as .44 mag. It is not suitable for all cast bullets by any means.
Thanks. 44mag happens to be one I will want to cast for. I do have, and have read, the Lyman Cast Bullet handbook. I will be sure to review it again before my first casting session. I have the 49th and 50th editions of the Lyman reloading manuals as well.
Old 07-24-2017, 1:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

You can cast pure linotype for very hard bullets, but they tend to be brittle. Depending on your application that can be a bad thing. Really hard bullets are rarely what you want anyway, unless you happen to have a bunch of lino that you want to get rid of (though you could probably trade it for lead or sell it if that's the case).
Old 07-24-2017, 6:46 PM
NRA Life member
CGN Contributor

So I went to the guys house to buy the three buckets shown in post 1. Very nice guy but his front yard is probably hated by his neighbors - junk everywhere.
He couldn't find the bucket with the lead pipe.
So I bought the two buckets of linotype (or is it monotype?). 215 lbs total. Here's a sample. Most are solid, some have the space cutouts like the bottom middle.
Old 07-24-2017, 8:11 PM
Veteran Member

Dang it reminds me of about 10 years ago I was under a house and they had an entire pallet of lead ingots sitting there. Shoulda bought it off them while I had the chance. Still use it occasionally in plumbing too and it's not cheap.
Old 07-24-2017, 9:25 PM
Calguns Addict

If you paid lead prices, you made out.

You do want to mix that with lead or trade for pure lead at say 2:1.

Generally linotype is too hard for cast bullets.

#Blackolivesmatter
Old 07-24-2017, 9:46 PM

that's mono type way more alloy tin and antimony than you need.

google mono type and or go to the cast boolits site they have a free downloadable alloy calculator that you can plug into to get whatever alloy you want.

you can trade tp pure lead to make a good alloy again maybe 1 part mono 3-4 parts lead, mono is very hard by itself worth $2-3 Lb at least
Old 07-25-2017, 12:53 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
So I went to the guys house to buy the three buckets shown in post 1. Very nice guy but his front yard is probably hated by his neighbors - junk everywhere.
He couldn't find the bucket with the lead pipe.
So I bought the two buckets of linotype (or is it monotype?). 215 lbs total. Here's a sample. Most are solid, some have the space cutouts like the bottom middle.

I can not tell. I thought ALL of that type stuff was LINOtype. I never looked at the difference between Lino and Mono and I will prolly not even after typing this up. Scratch that. I just looked it up.

Hard to tell visually. You prolly have to tell by listening to it talk.

I bet Bronco could tell us though.

Mono is rare and hard to come by, SO if someone had mono they MIGHT be able to prove it, but at least they would be saying it was Mono and not Lino.

And remember- When you see somebody crying, go up to them and ask if it's because of their haircut...
Old 07-25-2017, 7:27 AM

Linotype makes the most perfect looking bullets that can be cast. It is a eutectic alloy, it casts at a low temperature. It is very hard and most suited to HP rifle ammo at nearly full power. It also workes fine in pistol ammo. For optimal performance the pressure and acceleration need to be balanced to the lead hardness. That is a tall order, most just cast bullets and shoot.
Old 07-25-2017, 4:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Monotype went the way of the Dodo bird in like early 19th Century. Sell on Fleabay as "vintage". Buy a house with shooting range with profits. .

Seriously though, it's like hens teeth anymore.

#Blackolivesmatter
Old 07-25-2017, 9:44 PM

Doesn't look like linotype to me. At least not a product of the linotype machines that I once worked around.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilly View Post
I can not tell. I thought ALL of that type stuff was LINOtype. I never looked at the difference between Lino and Mono and I will prolly not even after typing this up. Scratch that. I just looked it up.

Hard to tell visually. You prolly have to tell by listening to it talk.

I bet Bronco could tell us though.

Mono is rare and hard to come by, SO if someone had mono they MIGHT be able to prove it, but at least they would be saying it was Mono and not Lino.
Linotype is a line of type. Monotype is individual letters.

#Blackolivesmatter
Old 07-25-2017, 10:27 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I can not tell. I thought ALL of that type stuff was LINOtype. I never looked at the difference between Lino and Mono and I will prolly not even after typing this up.
Monotype is individual letters that were stacked into a frame that ran on the press.
Linotype was cast and re-cast into a complete line of text and then the lines were stacked together to make a page for each printing job.
Linotype is much softer than monotype.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 07-26-2017, 1:18 AM
I need a LIFE!!

So then it is quite very possible that there is Lino mixed in with Mono in all of this stuff...

Lot's of the stuff I got that was sold to me as Lino are individual letters. I have blocks and other stuff as well. Some possibly even whole words. Sweet. At .45/lb I aint complaining.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
So then it is quite very possible that there is Lino mixed in with Mono in all of this stuff...

Lot's of the stuff I got that was sold to me as Lino are individual letters. I have blocks and other stuff as well. Some possibly even whole words. Sweet. At .45/lb I aint complaining.
yeah .45/lb is a steal these days
Old 07-26-2017, 10:42 AM
NRA Life member
CGN Contributor

Quote:

I haven't tried sorting the buckets, just kind of rolled the bucket around on its edge and scanned through them. All appear to be individual squares (monotype) with some small square sheets (spacers) of various thicknesses.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:07 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
So then it is quite very possible that there is Lino mixed in with Mono in all of this stuff.
Here is just 4 pieces of linotype:

Here is roughly 14 pieces of monotype:

Cutting pure lead with monotype 1:1 will roughly get you linotype.
Cutting wheel weights with linotype 3:1 will get you a good hard bullet casting alloy.
You could also cut wheel weights 5:1 or 6:1 with monotype and have a really nice bullet casting alloy.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC