Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 10-21-2016, 10:54 AM

Default .308 brass?

Where's a good place to find it? I'm wanting to invest in a bench, but it's looking like the only brass I can find has the military crimped primer pockets. Where do you normally get your .308 brass for reloading?

This is what I found which comes out to about .08 cents/ case. I'm new to this, but this brass looks like it would need extensive work to get them to spec. Worth it?

http://www.monmouthreloading.com/sho...-quantity=1000
Old 10-21-2016, 10:59 AM

Do you not want to swage primer pockets? I purchased 900 from blastedbrass.com for $86 shipped. That was the best deal I could find, but I don't mind swaging and cleaning my own brass.

Monmouth Reloading does have good deals as well, you can pay extra and they offer some processing
Old 10-21-2016, 11:18 AM

Xtreme bullets has 308 brass from time to time last lot I ordered was 3 years of lake city. All prepared and ready to load.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
Old 10-21-2016, 11:35 AM
Mostly Harmless
CGN Contributor

I get mine from Monmouth, and recommend them; fast shipping and the price is great. There are many solutions to deal with the swaged primer pockets. I look at them as a feature; they mean that 'once-fired' really means 'once-fired'.

So far as prep, they arrive absolutely filthy, with crimped pockets. They are presumably fired in an M240B; they're long, but they're not blown out. Thus, you're going to need to trim quite a bit, but I haven't needed to use a small-base die. I typically reject about 4-5% of a given lot after interior examination for separation signs, but I'm very picky.

My processing is decap, then stainless tumble. As mentioned, they will be incredibly dirty, so you want to clean before inspection. Inspect, size, trim to length, debur flash hole, swage, uniform primer pocket. I do the flash hole debur before swaging as I use a Dillon 600, and the debur makes for a very consistent swage operation.

They are a bit more work, but it's not that big a deal with the right tools, and the LC cases are IMO quite strong and last a long time. As their interior volume tends to be slightly less than commercial, you dial down the load a bit.

Last edited by bazineta; 10-21-2016 at 11:45 AM..
Old 10-21-2016, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member

What rifle is it going into? If it's a bolt gun spend the money on Lapua, it's just nicer to work with, and you can get small primer pocket 308.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:32 PM

Good juju buying from these guys: http://brassbombers.com/308-762-Clea...-7LC-S0100.htm

I have only bought cleaned and swaged 223, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy 308 brass from them as well. They pay the shipping.

Tim
Old 10-21-2016, 12:37 PM
Toolmaker Extraordinaire
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSTYS View Post
Where's a good place to find it? I'm wanting to invest in a bench, but it's looking like the only brass I can find has the military crimped primer pockets. Where do you normally get your .308 brass for reloading?

This is what I found which comes out to about .08 cents/ case. I'm new to this, but this brass looks like it would need extensive work to get them to spec. Worth it?

http://www.monmouthreloading.com/sho...-quantity=1000
Nosler, Lapua, or Hornady about $50 or more per 100.
The above statement i consider a term of endearment
Need prints for your build? Need reference materials for Gunsmithing projects, Click Here
I fear that even though as tough as life has been for me I have only begun to pay for my sins.
Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !
Old 10-21-2016, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimRB View Post
Good juju buying from these guys: http://brassbombers.com/308-762-Clea...-7LC-S0100.htm

I have only bought cleaned and swaged 223, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy 308 brass from them as well. They pay the shipping.

Tim
Wow, and the price is right. Thank you!
Old 10-21-2016, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milotrain View Post
What rifle is it going into? If it's a bolt gun spend the money on Lapua, it's just nicer to work with, and you can get small primer pocket 308.
Going to be ran through a Remington 700.
Old 10-21-2016, 6:38 PM

I bought new production Lake city brass from Cabela's. It's usually 38 a case, it has no crimp and I managed to stack a few deals (discounted gift cards, sale, active Junky) to get it well under 30 a case. No worrying about extractions dents, corrosion, resizing correctly, buying more equipment I don't have and spending even more time processing.
Old 10-21-2016, 7:34 PM
I need a LIFE!!

i guess ive only ever reloaded mine i occasionally find a couple at the range but never more than about 18 of them at a whack it uses twice the powder of 223 and the bullets cost twice as much as 223

so it ends up costing about the same price as ppu ammo
Old 10-22-2016, 8:03 PM

I definitely second or third Brassbombers. If you want, and pay for, LC you will get LC. I have received LC 5.56 or LC .308 shipments where all of the brass was LC and the same date. Their "cleaned" price was not that much more than the "as is/range dirty" price and well worth it for me.
Monmouth is also a "Stand-up" company and worth a look.

Last edited by rimfire11; 10-22-2016 at 8:10 PM..