Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 10-20-2016, 6:40 AM

Default Question on case prep/inspection

I just did my first large batch (came out to 450) of 9mm. I ran the entire batch through a case gauge, and 14 of them didnt go in.

I pulled the bullet off the 14, checked the cases and found the following:
-all cases were good on length
-only one case had an obvious defect, I didnt catch, a mild bulge
-9 of the cases just did not want to go into the gauge without a push.
-the last 5 went into the case gauge after the bullet was pulled.

If I run the cases through the gauge before priming, Ill catch the problem with non spec cases. The 5 with no obvious defects, how do you catch those? I destroyed them. I was not sure about depriming a live primer. Is there another quality check I should be doing?

BTW, this load, 124gr 4.3gr W231 has a POI that is 3 inches to the left of my usual range ammo (Blazer 115gr). It's grouping 2 inches using a pistol bench rest at 25 yards. What would be your strategy be to deal with such a situation. Move sights, change and develop powder load? Thanks.
For Rent - Scope ring lapping and torque kit $15/wk, AR barrel torque extension, wrnech and AR No Go Gauge $20/wk, Caldwell Chronograph $ 15/wk. All rentals included full cost deposit. Rought treatment of gear and damage will be charged. West LA

Last edited by MarikinaMan; 10-20-2016 at 6:57 AM..
Old 10-20-2016, 7:21 AM

What kind of billets are you using? Out of the ones that passed through the gauge after pulling the bullet were the bullets correct O.D.? I don't check every round, I do batches of 500 at least and spot check them. Haven't had an issue so far after over 10,000 rounds of 9mm not to mention other calibers. What press are you using? Any chance you short stroked a few while sizing?

If I had a loaded round not pass the gauge I'd chuck it in the to be pulled pile. No way I'd waste the time to remove a live primer from a 9mm case, I'd just toss it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
So you are throwing out 95% of reality to select the 5% of reality where you are actually right?
We must be on calguns...
Old 10-20-2016, 10:24 AM

I check them in a case gauge periodically but my main concern is the actual barrel of my gun. Do they chamber without a problem there? You could pull the bullets and start over. In 9MM the value of the case and components might not be worth it for you. For rifle ammo I typically pull them down and re-use.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:43 PM

I shoot USPSA and I case gauge all my ammo. I'd say 2 to 3% don't pass, so I take them and put black X on them. Then I shoot them in practice. After shooting several 100, I can only recall 1 not chambering and firing.

The case gauge is way tighter than any chamber.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:44 PM

I'd have measured the cases before pulling the bullets, but that ship has sailed.

I'd suspect your crimp was marginal. I'd have first measured the diameter at the case mouth and if not in spec, recrimped with the die screwed in an extra tad. (If a seat/crimp die, you have to run the seating stem out the same amount).

If you could push the round into the gauge with just a little effort, however, I'd plunk the worst of the bunch in my barrel and see if to would chamber. If so, I'd have ignored it.

My 9mm are real tolerant. The .45 has a match barrel and what the case gauge says is what the barrel says. Same tightness.
Old 10-21-2016, 9:00 PM
Internet Warrior
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Sounds like you have a problem with your die. That's a high failure rate.
Old 10-23-2016, 1:45 AM

probably your crimp!
Old 10-23-2016, 7:49 AM

I've not been loading pistol very long now ( couple years ) I have to admit I don't"gauge" my cases at all . I load 9mm & 45 acp . All I do is load a few , plunk a few and if that goes well I just start loading never really checking again . Maybe the fact I don't use mixed brass helps .

Anyone else find it sad that those who preach tolerance CAN'T allow the existence, occurrence, or practice of (something that they do not necessarily like or agree with) without interference.
Old 10-23-2016, 9:13 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I don't shoot multiple guns of the same caliber so I plunk test with my bbl...I've found that the gauges like a Wilson, etc gives a spec that will supposedly chamber in any SAAMI spec chamber so it might be a bit tighter than a specific chamber...I just don't have issues. I do use the Lee FCD as a 4th station on my turret press and I'd guess that would probably take care of anything that might cause a problem in the gauge if I used one.
Old 10-23-2016, 2:03 PM

My glock chamber is looser than my dillon 45 gauge. The 'real' gauge is your gun but the gauge is a simple way to be sure...
Old 10-23-2016, 3:35 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmagee67 View Post
I shoot USPSA and I case gauge all my ammo. I'd say 2 to 3% don't pass, so I take them and put black X on them. Then I shoot them in practice. After shooting several 100, I can only recall 1 not chambering and firing.

The case gauge is way tighter than any chamber.

^^^^this.

Try a "plunk test" on those few that won't gage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Dave View Post
I won't.
I sign the dotted line and wrote a blank check to my country (RIP) back in the 1980s payable up to and including my life.
Back then I had a country worth defending, if Russia or China were to invade tomorrow I'll laugh.
#Blackolivesmatter