Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 06-11-2017, 1:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Default proper powder for 223 reload

I am just starting to re load I bought a lee loader 223 kit just to start. my question is i was told ball powder H-335 was good to go. Dumb a*ss at ammo brothers knew less than i do about reloading. They said they did not have any H-335 . I was reading labels and bought Winchester ball powder 760 rifle. Is this powder ok . The lee loader just has a little cup you scoop powder and level it before installing in a case. The chart that comes with the lee loader does not mention Winchester 760 . If it is ok to use 760 in my bolt savage 223 i will use this up before i change brands.
I am getting proper loading equipment very soon.
Old 06-11-2017, 1:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTABIKER View Post
I am just starting to re load I bought a lee loader 223 kit just to start. my question is i was told ball powder H-335 was good to go. Dumb a*ss at ammo brothers knew less than i do about reloading. They said they did not have any H-335 . I was reading labels and bought Winchester ball powder 760 rifle. Is this powder ok . The lee loader just has a little cup you scoop powder and level it before installing in a case. The chart that comes with the lee loader does not mention Winchester 760 . If it is ok to use 760 in my bolt savage 223 i will use this up before i change brands.
You should go to the winchester powder website to see which powder you bought. I would not use that for 223. Also which scale do you have ? You dont fill that little scooper and just pour the powder into the case. Do you have a reloading book ?
Old 06-11-2017, 2:05 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

760 is unsuited for 223, way too slow burning. 748 is good. I use Ramshot X-Terminator and TAC, both ball powders. I use ball powders in 223 & 308 because they meter like water, perfect throws every time. There's nothing performance wise that makes ball powders better in 223 or any other caliber.

Last edited by Paul_R; 06-11-2017 at 2:08 PM..
Old 06-11-2017, 3:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Went back and could not swap for Winchester 748 [ said state law ]. I will reload 760 in my M 1 Garand . Bought 748.
Thanks for info
Old 06-11-2017, 3:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

No returns on powder at any store.
Old 06-11-2017, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Went back and could not swap for Winchester 748 [ said state law ]. I will reload 760 in my M 1 Garand . Bought 748.
Thanks for info
Win 760 might be "too" slow for M1 Garand loads. Check out the powder burn rate chart.

For gas guns from 223 to 30-06, choose powders that are from H4895 to Varget or IMR 4320.

H4895 or Varget is very good for 223, 308 Win, 30-06, or 7.5 Swiss.
Old 06-11-2017, 4:54 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSightsOnly View Post
Win 760 might be "too" slow for M1 Garand loads. Check out the powder burn rate chart.

For gas guns from 223 to 30-06, choose powders that are from H4895 to Varget or IMR 4320.

H4895 or Varget is very good for 223, 308 Win, 30-06, or 7.5 Swiss.
AR comp works better than IMR 4320. But its not ball powder.
Old 06-11-2017, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baih777 View Post
AR comp works better than IMR 4320. But its not ball powder.
So many powders out there and I don't have the time to test each one

IMR 8208XBR is a short stick powder so if you use a progressive or a hand crank powder dispenser this may be the winner!

I think that 4320s stick powder kernel is as long as 8208XBR. Have used 4320 for M1 loads with the 168 SMK, it's all good.

Have used 8208XBR for 223s from 52 SMK to Berger 82s. It's also good for M1 loads and the burn rate is similar to H4895.

Right now, I have half a jug of IMR 4064 to finish. Thankfully I have a Chargemaster
Old 06-11-2017, 8:22 PM

Quote:
so the employee is a dumbass because he's not an avid reloader? then you go on to say you read labels and bought 760 and now ask if its ok? Why wouldn't you research it before buying it? are you now the dumbass?
Old 06-11-2017, 8:56 PM
Calguns Addict

I went in to buy a very popular 223 powder they should have had. I asked for help picking a 223 powder. A accept some blame but you would think a store named ammo bros should have a way to help a customer pick a proper substitute powder for Remington 223. The store was deserted so they had time to find a chart or something to help a new re-loader. I was 15 miles from home and did not know it was going to be this complicated.
Old 06-11-2017, 9:10 PM

Quote:
I went in to buy a very popular 223 powder they should have had. I asked for help picking a 223 powder. A accept some blame but you would think a store named ammo bros should have a way to help a customer pick a proper substitute powder for Remington 223. The store was deserted so they had time to find a chart or something to help a new re-loader. I was 15 miles from home and did not know it was going to be this complicated.
I didn't even know ammo bros was considered a reloading shop, there website doesn't even advertise ammo as its main commodity. Just another gun shop so yeah its your 100% your fault and not just "some blame" for not researching this before going there or at least calling ahead. Even the biggest reloading stores sometimes are oos on the popular powders. Don't you carry a smart phone with you to look up things on the fly? Wait... lets just go back to step one. You should've done all this before heading to buy things you have no clue about. It's so funny you had the urge to call a clerk a dumbass when you went ahead and bought the wrong kind of powder because that you choose yourself, normally i would feel bad but you came off like an *** from the start of your post.
Old 06-11-2017, 9:19 PM
Calguns Addict

BLC2 is what I recall the military uses. Covers the spectrum well and is pretty economical.

There's a LOT of powders which work well. Some work better with heavier or lighter bullets.

And get a scale before you hurt yourself.

#Blackolivesmatter

Last edited by JagerDog; 06-11-2017 at 9:25 PM..
Old 06-11-2017, 9:27 PM
CALGUNS-take me away
CGN Contributor

I have good luck with....

H335
4320-
Varget-for longer bullets

I didn't like the blc-2

"Get yourself a Glock and lose that nickel plated sissy pistol" -------Deputy Samuel Gerard
Old 06-12-2017, 12:21 AM
Veteran Member

Uh.

Get a manual. Read the manual. Follow the manual.

This is not a hobby in which you can just wing it.
Old 06-12-2017, 6:01 AM

At the very least I would get a cheap beam scale to double check what you're doing. Those Lee Loader kits look great and seem like an easy way to go (especially after watching the Richard Lee BoobTube video on them), but easy and reloading don't always mix, YMMV. That video always strikes me more as entertainment than an actual how-to with a slightly condescending touch of "you're over complicating this, take it from an old fart like me" (sorry RL fans). I've also never not consulted a loading manual before sitting down to load.

As far as powders go, I've had good luck with H335 in my AR with both 45 grain SPs and 77 grain BTHPs (again, YMMV).

You might want to try Phillips Wholesale if you're in the West Covina area, decent prices and if he's not busy, he's willing to help. If not, he's got manuals you can reference. Going in to Ammo Bros and asking about reloading advice is almost like walking into Kmart and asking for automobile repair advice, IME.
I know I'm gonna get got, but I'm going to get mine more than I get got though.
-Marshawn Lynch
Old 06-12-2017, 6:12 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Can not be said enough. Read the first 1/2 of the manual before you go to the recipes/load data. There is so much to know that you don't even know what to ask.

I like the Lyman's manual, others like other manuals and most of us have several manuals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishJoe3 View Post
Uh.

Get a manual. Read the manual. Follow the manual.

This is not a hobby in which you can just wing it.

Or do you just hate her so much you can't let go?
Old 06-12-2017, 6:16 AM

if you're local to orange county, go to reload oc and brian will take care of you.
Old 06-12-2017, 7:05 AM
Calguns Addict

Reloading is a learning process for sure.I am just getting started. Thanks for the info even the criticism. I guess my expectations for ammo brothers was too hi. That supply shop in covina is closed on all my days off or i would have gone their first.
Old 06-12-2017, 7:12 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Except for load recipes for specific powders, everything you ever wanted to know about reloading is on YouTube. Manuals have load recipes. I have several and if I had to choose just one it would be lyman's.
Old 06-12-2017, 7:25 AM

DO NOT use Win 760 in your M1 Garand. Much too slow and will damage your Garand. Chalk it up as a lesson learned and you're out $20 or so. Win 760 is a good powder for bolt action 30-06 but a no-no for a Garand. Use powders on the burn rate chart for your Garand between IMR 4895 and IMR 4064. Gun store clerks are often totally clueless about reloading and will sell something just to make a sale.
Old 06-12-2017, 8:56 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

RL 15 for .223

Good Medicine, Bad Places.

Do No Harm, Do Know Harm.

"SA MC Operator. Cuz, you gotta Operate when you're cruzin' the couch with the vodka!"--XDJYo
Old 06-12-2017, 9:00 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have
CFE223
H335
Varget
for 223.
Old 06-12-2017, 9:08 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Reloading is a learning process for sure.I am just getting started. Thanks for the info even the criticism. I guess my expectations for ammo brothers was too hi. That supply shop in covina is closed on all my days off or i would have gone their first.
Do you have the Lee 2nd edition reloader's manual.
If not, get it.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Lee-M...ading%2Bmanual

Oh, and don't trip on the criticism. That guy was a newb a very short time ago.
Now, he is an expert.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:07 AM
Calguns Addict

No on the 760. I have used Win748 for many, many years with 55 and 40gr bullets. H335 is also a good choice. Benchmark is one I also use for 40gr bullets. I also use 748 and benchmark for 36 &50gr Barnes VG bullets.
I do not load heavier bullets. If I want more bullet weight I use a 25cal rifle/pistol.
If you are near me I will be glad to help you out. Or you can PM me for my phone # and we can talk.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:17 AM
Cry Havok!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Dude let me check my stuff. I believe i have a lee first edition for you and a set of the dippers you can have since i know you are semi local or i can use it as an excuse to go to one of the c and r shoots again. I know i have the dippers but not sure about the manual.
"Para ser libre, un hombre debe tener tres cosas, la tierra, una educacion y un fusil. Siempre un fusil ! (To be free, a man must have three things; land, an education and a rifle. Always a rifle)" -Emiliano Zapata.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
Of course they are in free territory where they can pick up ammunition at the local 5 and dime without going through a criminal background check. All we get is legalized pot.
Old 06-12-2017, 4:43 PM

Win 748 you have is good stuff for 223 and almost always available. Find a good manual, read and take your time.
Old 06-12-2017, 5:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedro View Post

Now, he is an expert.
The only thing I'm an expert at is pulling bullets I did wrong. Both collet and kinetic.

Learn from my mistakes, read the book and take your time.

Or do you just hate her so much you can't let go?
Old 06-12-2017, 7:59 PM
Veteran Member

Whoa ladies, put the claws back in...wow. So somebody asks for advice and we just tear them apart? No wonder people don't want to deal with Californians...

Anyhow, it's definitely not a bad idea to get some manuals and at least a cheap digital scale, but there's no reason you can't find a good dip-load for basic .223. Is this for a bolt gun or semi-auto? Also, I have a literal crap-ton of manuals and data if you need it, and also a scale. Remind me and i'll put it in my work truck and drop it off to you in my travels.
Old 06-12-2017, 8:50 PM

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com

Has load data for Hodgdon, IMR and Winchester powders.

Win 760 is listed for heavy for calibers bullets (80+ grains)
Old 06-13-2017, 7:12 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedro View Post

Now, he is an expert.

Ya...and kind of a **** too....yet still received a lot of help on this forum.

Juz sayin'.

#Blackolivesmatter
Old 06-13-2017, 8:13 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
The only thing I'm an expert at is pulling bullets I did wrong. Both collet and kinetic.

Learn from my mistakes, read the book and take your time.
I was not commenting on your post. I was referring to the "Blame game" posts.

I'm on your side.
Reading a manual is a must. Recipes come later.
Old 06-13-2017, 8:21 AM
Calguns Addict

I took a Amercan eagle 223 apart and poured the powder in my Lee loader dip cup , it filled the cup.I measured the case length & total length loaded. Both were in speck. I made sure the primer was at least flush or slightly inside the case. I will shoot this in my savage 223 bolt rifle. I made up 50 rounds and it was fun. I am a plinker so perfection is not my goal, safety yes. After i get proper reloading equipment i will re load for my mini 14 .I think the lee loader starter kit is perfect to see if re loading is somebody's cup of tea or not. I have maybe 150 bucks total investment to find out if i want to do this. I have a life time supply of my other calibers, I am only going to re load 223, maybe 45 acp later.
Old 06-13-2017, 8:25 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Oh look, he's peeking his head down the rabbit hole.
Look out, it's hard to climb back out of it.

Just messing around. It's an addiction.
Old 06-13-2017, 8:25 AM

OP, try to attend one of the reloading workshop in your area or get someone with some experience to walk you through the process. I was lucky enough to have a buddy to show me otherwise I wouldn't have no idea where to start.

Old 06-13-2017, 9:38 AM
Calguns Addict

Just remember the powder the factory loads use is powder you cannot get. There is NO comparison between the two that you can use in reloading.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divernhunter View Post
Just remember the powder the factory loads use is powder you cannot get. There is NO comparison between the two that you can use in reloading.
This is true.
But I had a situation where Rem 6.8SPC would not cycle in my gun.
So I pulled 180 bullets and reworked the rounds with the factory powder. I used Accurate 2200 for the remainder of the cartridges and all was good.
The damned rouge rounds I made were some of the more accurate loads ever in 6.8. But so were the rounds with 2200. the bullets where a cavity back 115 grain factory Rem.
So in this case, getting the factory bullets would be more valuable than the factory powder.
Old 06-13-2017, 7:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divernhunter View Post
Thanks the american Eagle is stick powder and the 748 is ball powder
Old 06-14-2017, 1:18 PM

Go to OC Reload and talk with Brian. His shop is off the 57 and Katella. You should have talked to me, I would have helped you out.
1. Get a good lyman manual or ask me to look in mine.
2. Get a scale. I just sold a good one for $45.00
3. Get advice from someone like Brian at OC Reload, not some counter guy.

I am going to PM you my phone number, hopefully I can help you out.
Old 06-14-2017, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Scott View Post
Go to OC Reload and talk with Brian. His shop is off the 57 and Katella. You should have talked to me, I would have helped you out.
1. Get a good lyman manual or ask me to look in mine.
2. Get a scale. I just sold a good one for $45.00
3. Get advice from someone like Brian at OC Reload, not some counter guy.

I am going to PM you my phone number, hopefully I can help you out.
Can you pm your number too.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 06-14-2017, 2:47 PM

Varget is a great 223 powder.
“Since the general civilization of mankind, I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpation” - James Madison, 1788

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"I've always had trouble with authority." - John Milius