Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 06-05-2006, 4:58 PM

Default Homemade single shot pistol

Since single shot pistols are now exempt from the drop test requirements, can I make a single shot hangun? Or is it only specific single shots, like TC contenders?

If im allowed to make it, do i have to register it?
Old 06-06-2006, 12:49 AM

Federally you can manufacture your own firearm as long as you do not sell it or distribute it. If it's a rifle it must meet length requirements and not have a fully automatic feature.

California allows you to build you own. I believe you will have to register them since they are handguns nonetheless and all of them must be registered. Also I think you are okay with manufacturing your own semi-automatic handgun (like a 1911 frame) since you won't be selling it; hence no drop test required.
Old 06-06-2006, 1:00 AM

Zip Gun?
Pete
Old 06-06-2006, 4:37 AM

Not a zip gun, just a normal single shot pistol. Its going to be a blowback .22LR, and fire from an open bolt. Im going to use the trigger frame and sear from a paintball gun, since i dont have any machining tools. The barrel will be rifled, I already have the barrel, its a 7 inch piece from a .22 airgun.

I already made a .22LR rifle from a cheap Chinese air rifle that had a blown seal. I bored out a breech in the loading port, and tapped a screw into the face of the piston to act as the firing pin. It works great, I just dont have a working extractor, so i have to use a screwdriver to pull the empty shell out.

What would be considered a zip gun? I picture those pen guns, or a smoothbore pipe holding a shell, being set off with a tack and a rubber band.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:29 PM

If it fires from an open bolt, its a machine gun,
and you get to go to club fed.
If you don't know what a zip gun is, you better do some more reading.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:18 PM

If you built a handgun it would need to have a rifled bore. Handgun-sized smoothbores would have to be Federally registered... or it may well be interpreted by John Q. Law as a zip gun.
Old 06-07-2006, 4:34 PM

The term "zip gun" is a very broad in CA law, im not sure ill be able to make this thing without fitting the definition. It looks like any gun that wasn't originally designed by a gun manufacturer can be considered a zip gun. Looks like an intentional ban on home gunmaking. Here is what i found;

10) As used in this section, a "zip gun" means any weapon or device which meets all of the following criteria:
(A) It was not imported as a firearm by an importer licensed pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto.

(B) It was not originally designed to be a firearm by a manufacturer licensed pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto. (note: you can view it here http://resource.lawlinks.com/Content...itle_18_44.htm )
(C) No tax was paid on the weapon or device nor was an exemption from paying tax on that weapon or device granted under Section 4181 and Subchapters F (commencing with Section 4216) and G (commencing with Section 4221) of Chapter 32 of Title 26 of the United States Code, as amended, and the regulations issued pursuant thereto. (view here at http://resource.lawlinks.com/Content...itle_26_32.htm )

(D) It is made or altered to expel a projectile by the force of an explosion or other form of combustion.

According to this, Even a homemade muzzleloader would fit the definition. Looks like a backdoor ban on home gunsmithing to me. Oh well.
Old 06-07-2006, 5:02 PM

As a kid we would take an old bicycle spoke and pack it with shotshell powder then pack one of the shotshell bb's into the open end. A match would heat the end up enough and cause the powder to burn thus propelling the bb out at a fairly high rate of speed. Knocked over soda cans with ease. Cheap fun...
Old 06-07-2006, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sluggz
The term "zip gun" is a very broad in CA law, im not sure ill be able to make this thing without fitting the definition. It looks like any gun that wasn't originally designed by a gun manufacturer can be considered a zip gun. Looks like an intentional ban on home gunmaking. Here is what i found;

10) As used in this section, a "zip gun" means any weapon or device which meets all of the following criteria:
(A) It was not imported as a firearm by an importer licensed pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto.

(B) It was not originally designed to be a firearm by a manufacturer licensed pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto. (note: you can view it here http://resource.lawlinks.com/Content...itle_18_44.htm )
(C) No tax was paid on the weapon or device nor was an exemption from paying tax on that weapon or device granted under Section 4181 and Subchapters F (commencing with Section 4216) and G (commencing with Section 4221) of Chapter 32 of Title 26 of the United States Code, as amended, and the regulations issued pursuant thereto. (view here at http://resource.lawlinks.com/Content...itle_26_32.htm )

(D) It is made or altered to expel a projectile by the force of an explosion or other form of combustion.

According to this, Even a homemade muzzleloader would fit the definition. Looks like a backdoor ban on home gunsmithing to me. Oh well.
Quote:
It may look like that to you, but it isn't.
http://www.savvysurvivor.com/law_res...uilt_firea.htm
Old 06-07-2006, 9:34 PM
Veteran Member

Just so you all know, it is ILLEGAL to MANUFACTURE any 'unsafe' handgun in California. It would be the same as importing a non-drop tested handgun and thinking you are ok because it wasn't sold here (importation aside). So NO, there is NOTHING "okay with manufacturing your own semi-automatic handgun (like a 1911 frame) since you won't be selling it".

As for single shot handguns (and single action revolvers), I would believe they are ok as the law states they are exempt from the safety test. If I were you though, I would contact the DOJ before trying anything. Rifles are a bit different, but handguns are probably always going to be a grey area until an official statement is given or until the laws are turned over. Also, the law only enforces the manufacture of the receiver/frame, so you can use a commercial barrel (or other parts) to finish it, it just has to stay a single shot or single action revolver. That doesn't mean you can make a single shot 1911 style pistol, then later turn it into a full fledged 1911; but there is nothing stopping you from designing a single shot pistol that uses a 1911 barrel.

ETA: As always, not legal advice and contact the proper people/agencies before starting anything.
Old 06-07-2006, 9:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sluggz

I didn't look at the above link, but I believe where the logic gets jumbled is that the firearm must meet ALL of those to be a zip gun, and (B) talks about altering of an existing item to be a sort of hidden gun (like modifying a cell phone to be a firearm). You would be the manufacturer, and the ATF regulates who is a manufacturer. You are exempt from needing a license under certain restrictions (like the fact that it is a personal firearm, etc). So if you build it for personal use you are 'licensed' by the ATF under current law, it is/was originally designed to be a firearm and as such doesn't meet (B) and as such is not a zip gun.

That's my take on it at least.