Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 01-30-2018, 5:48 AM

Default Ventura County checklist

Hello - Does anyone know exactly what is looked at or the "checklist" they work off of when an app is submitted. I have reviewed the info on the vcso site but it is very general. I would prefer to clear any potential issues on my end prior to submitting. Nothing major other than a ticket from 3 years ago and a couple blemishes on my credit report.

Sorry if this has been asked but I could not find the info. Thank you
Old 01-30-2018, 2:48 PM
Some Yahoo on the Web
CGN Contributor

Depending on the ticket (assuming it was just speeding and not something worse), you credit report (unless you have declared bankruptcy in the last 7 years) shouldn't really matter too much.

Unless either of the two are bad, I wouldn't sweat it. That being said, if/when you apply, disclose everything you can think of. Everything.
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love. -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

Old 01-30-2018, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Depending on the ticket (assuming it was just speeding and not something worse), you credit report (unless you have declared bankruptcy in the last 7 years) shouldn't really matter too much.

Unless either of the two are bad, I wouldn't sweat it. That being said, if/when you apply, disclose everything you can think of. Everything.
Nothing major...didn't see the no left turn coming out of a parking lot and no bk. Is there an official checklist out there or anything showing what is looked at? I keep seeing postings of people being denied for moral reasons and trying to figure out what they would look at to deny for moral reasons. Criminal history, tickets, credit report, taxes etc.?

I see non-rostered guns are ok. Will they accept guns that have been modified with trigger kits, sights, grips etc.?

Thanks in advance I appreciate it.
Old 01-30-2018, 3:20 PM
Some Yahoo on the Web
CGN Contributor

No checklist that I know of, they keep that pretty close to the chest. The biggest "moral" hits seem to be things like excessive negative police interaction (lots of tickets etc.) and DUIs from what I can tell. Have heard of a few folks who tried to hide things and got caught.

A criminal history would likely sink you right off the bat, and not on Moral grounds either.

I have no idea about weapons modifications and if they are acceptable. I always assume that if I ever have to use my EDC I'll never see it again, so putting too much into it isn't worth it.
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love. -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

Old 01-30-2018, 3:26 PM

Quote:
No checklist that I know of, they keep that pretty close to the chest. The biggest "moral" hits seem to be things like excessive negative police interaction (lots of tickets etc.) and DUIs from what I can tell. Have heard of a few folks who tried to hide things and got caught.

A criminal history would likely sink you right off the bat, and not on Moral grounds either.

I have no idea about weapons modifications and if they are acceptable. I always assume that if I ever have to use my EDC I'll never see it again, so putting too much into it isn't worth it.
None of the above thank goodness. I have two carry size guns that I ppt'd last week and will be picking up end of the week. One is on-roster and the other off. Neither have been modified so I will leave them stock until I have the answer. As soon as they are in hand I will start the application process.

Thank you very much for the info!
Old 01-30-2018, 4:13 PM
Some Yahoo on the Web
CGN Contributor

IIRC, VCSD doesn't allow off roster weapons on CCWs, but I could be mistaken.

Old 01-30-2018, 7:28 PM

[QUOTE=baggss;21221223]IIRC, VCSD doesn't allow off roster weapons on CCWs, but I could be mistaken.[/QUOTE

I will to have to confirm one way or the other so I ensure I put the correct ones on the app.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
IIRC, VCSD doesn't allow off roster weapons on CCWs, but I could be mistaken.

This policy was revoked. Any legally-owned handgun can be listed on your permit. However, guns can only be added at renewal, so plan ahead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-31-2018, 6:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty99 View Post
This policy was revoked. Any legally-owned handgun can be listed on your permit. However, guns can only be added at renewal, so plan ahead.

Great and thank you for the confirmation. You wouldn't happen to know about mods to submitted guns?
Old 01-31-2018, 7:52 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

VCSO did change (not revoke) it's policy and now allows off roster firearms.

Offering low cost private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE
Old 01-31-2018, 8:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
VCSO did change (not revoke) it's policy and now allows off roster firearms.
Thank you for the clarification
Old 01-31-2018, 9:39 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty99 View Post

BTW, They will not allow just "any legally owned handgun" to be put on a permit. They require that the handgun either be registered to you or your spouse. There are many "legally owned handguns in CA that are NOT REGISTERED. Also, they won't allow certain legally owned and registered handguns like AR pistols or other handguns chambered in what they consider to be rifle cartridges. I highly doubt they will allow a legally owned and registered 12G AOW handgun either. Also, handguns like TC contenders would be very hard to qualify with. I know that I would not be able to qualify with my .45acp Liberator repro and highly doubt anyone else could either.

Old 01-31-2018, 9:56 AM

Quote:
BTW, They will not allow just "any legally owned handgun" to be put on a permit. They require that the handgun either be registered to you or your spouse. There are many "legally owned handguns in CA that are NOT REGISTERED. Also, they won't allow certain legally owned and registered handguns like AR pistols or other handguns chambered in what they consider to be rifle cartridges. I highly doubt they will allow a legally owned and registered 12G AOW handgun either. Also, handguns like TC contenders would be very hard to qualify with. I know that I would not be able to qualify with my .45acp Liberator repro and highly doubt anyone else could either.
Completely understand and yes the Liberator would be more than a challenge for sure. Nothing crazy with gun models and all are registered. I have my VP40 waiting for a trigger job. Do you know if there is an issue with modded guns being on the app?
Old 01-31-2018, 2:39 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by droberts88 View Post
Completely understand and yes the Liberator would be more than a challenge for sure. Nothing crazy with gun models and all are registered. I have my VP40 waiting for a trigger job. Do you know if there is an issue with modded guns being on the app?
As far as I know, VCSO allows modified firearms. In fact, many of my students that list Shields on their application tell me that their interviewer advises them to install an Apex trigger on them. I know more than a few people who have Zev or TT parts on their carry Glocks too.

Old 01-31-2018, 3:28 PM

Quote:
As far as I know, VCSO allows modified firearms. In fact, many of my students that list Shields on their application tell me that their interviewer advises them to install an Apex trigger on them. I know more than a few people who have Zev or TT parts on their carry Glocks too.
Well that's good news. Appreciate all of the info. This is a great site!
Old 01-31-2018, 7:06 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by droberts88 View Post
Well that's good news. Appreciate all of the info. This is a great site!
I think so. Sure, there's a lot of misinformation and crap here but, it quickly gets straightened out. I originally thought this site was mainly a bunch of young kids but, once I started meeting other members, I changed my opinion fast. While there are yahoos here, they tend to hide behind their keyboards and get weeded out quickly.

Old 02-01-2018, 7:54 AM

Quote:
I think so. Sure, there's a lot of misinformation and crap here but, it quickly gets straightened out. I originally thought this site was mainly a bunch of young kids but, once I started meeting other members, I changed my opinion fast. While there are yahoos here, they tend to hide behind their keyboards and get weeded out quickly.
Very true and is the case with most newsgroup based sites. It usually doesn't take much time to figure out who's who.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:51 AM
Some Yahoo on the Web
CGN Contributor

Quote:
While there are yahoos here, they tend to hide behind their keyboards and get weeded out quickly.
Hi! My name is baggss and I'm a yahoo....!