Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 02-04-2011, 12:34 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Are we there yet?

Any reason a small business owner with 60% service connected disability should be barred from getting a CCW permit in SLO county?

Seriously thinking about taking the afternoon off and driving down to the sheriff's office and start reading through the GC statements on my own.

Old 02-08-2011, 9:37 PM

Any news yet?
Old 02-09-2011, 6:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydeedsdoneinthedesert View Post
Any news yet?
I just posted this in another thread and I believe it applies to MOST counties.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...60#post5785960

Right People: If I'm wrong, feel free to edit my post or correct me. Thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
Supporting CGF at the expense of supporting NRA is wildly stupid. . . .

Never, ever, ever choose not to be an NRA member.

-Gene
185+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:09 AM

Thanks Paladin. That's good to know. Is there anyplace to read about the case or two that we're all waiting for.
Old 02-10-2011, 8:17 AM

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/in...st_and_Present

Then just click on the case title to get more in depth info. Nordyke is the big one that a few of the other cases are waiting on. It should not be too long now before the ruling comes down.

These are very exciting times.

(tries to wait patiently)

WTB: AMD 65 parts kit with original barrel

Interested in a Front Sight Diamond membership? PM me.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:09 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrenlds View Post
My Wife and I are moving to Cambria, a small tourist town on the central coast that has no police department and is not incorporated. I'm planning on using the lack of law enforcement and slow response time as the basis for my GC. I've got two questions. One, does a GC like this have a good chance of getting approved in SLO & two, do GC's of this nature tend to have limitations put on them... i.e. can only carry while in said city.
SLO is not currently CCW friendly. Most licensing is not restricted to a particular city or area.

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:16 AM
Calguns Addict

If you don't mind my asking, how do folks support themselves in Cambria? No water, hard to get property, hard to build, no industry (or is there?), expensive as heck, I'm mystified on how to support one's self out there.

Just asking, I thought about that many times while at university.
Old 03-01-2011, 4:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
Cambria has a sheriffs deputy that lives in town. He is often around in the area and also responds to incidents when he is off regular duty, day or night. The deputies have a small informal substation at the CAL FIRE station in Cambria. Hearst Castle has LEOs and they help in the area. Highway Patrol is often in the area. Fish and Game has helped at times. It's amazing how fast LE shows up there. There may be other LEOs that live in the area now too. The response time is not all that long and often within a few minutes.
A few minutes *after* report is still a few minutes later than necessary to defend against a violent attacker.

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 03-01-2011, 5:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
SLO is not currently CCW friendly. Most licensing is not restricted to a particular city or area.
Does this include 60% disabled veterans who are physically unable to either retreat and/or stand and fight without a firearm?

Old 03-01-2011, 5:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by choprzrul View Post
Does this include 60% disabled veterans who are physically unable to either retreat and/or stand and fight without a firearm?

I'll quote the typical SLO law enforcement mantra " Call 911"
Old 03-01-2011, 6:17 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

The evidence suggests that only cops and the well-connected need apply.

Old 03-01-2011, 6:30 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
The evidence suggests that only cops and the well-connected need apply.
Hypothetical: I apply with above GC statement and get denied. Something happens and I am seriously injured/killed. Would the body of evidence that only LE & well connected receiving CCW be basis upon which to build a lawsuit against the sheriff?

Secondly, it is my understanding that any citizen can submit evidence to the Grand Jury for consideration. Would denial of my GC be grounds for prosecution under 18 USC 241-242 based on Heller/McDonald finding that I have a right to self defense?

Old 03-02-2011, 6:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Once Calguns lets us all know when it's time, we can try to obtain our CCW's locally. If we are denied, then I suspect some of us will move to a defense friendly CA county or state.
Why move upon denial of issuance? That's when things get fun and CGF really comes out to play...
Old 03-02-2011, 3:57 PM

Registered as a volunteer and waiting!

I have had a filled out application either sitting on my desk or saved on my hard drive for a couple years, and just haven't done it due to rumors of denial. Now I will wait until someone suggests the timing is "better" and give it a shot. The whole Sheriff's race was a tough one and put the brakes on my application. Of the original 8 potential candidates, I though 6 had very good CCW policies, and sure enough, one of the two questionable ones was elected. I was quite disappointed.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:39 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I would like to walk through the sheriff's office door with about 6 of us and do a formal on the spot records review request. 6 of us could divide up the current CCW GC statements and parse through them rather quickly. Separate out the ones that might be of use to us for CCW, and then do a request for those specific apps in hard copy form.

With that info in had, we would effectively be mimicking the initiative here. If we are denied then, I would think that we would have grounds to approach the grand jury on Equal Protection violation grounds.

How many people need to be involved to reach class action status?

Old 03-03-2011, 12:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I would like to walk through the sheriff's office door with about 6 of us and do a formal on the spot records review request. 6 of us could divide up the current CCW GC statements and parse through them rather quickly. Separate out the ones that might be of use to us for CCW, and then do a request for those specific apps in hard copy form.

With that info in had, we would effectively be mimicking the initiative here. If we are denied then, I would think that we would have grounds to approach the grand jury on Equal Protection violation grounds.

How many people need to be involved to reach class action status?

I admire your tenacity, and trust me, it's necessary if you're going to survive as a gun rights activist. However, let's not be antagonistic without some potential for return. The process for requesting documents is clear, and what you described is not the best way to get what you want. Further, there is a new sheriff in town - the older records are probably of no value anyway.

There is no class action to bring now, and no matters to bring before the grand jury. This would not be mimicking the Initiative, because the methods, goals, and tactics are simply not congruent. Only ~10 people in the US (a good fraction of those are attorneys) have full knowledge of what the Initiative is doing, how, and why; what you see posted publicly is only that which doesn't compromise ongoing action.

Channel your anger and frustration into culture-reinforcing activities; you might check out this thread for some ideas.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:21 PM

When I was denied, I requested copies of the approved applications... they wanted two grand in copy charges. I then requested to inspect them in person, which was also denied. They cited personally-sensitive information that must be redacted before they can be publicly viewable.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:29 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmos7 View Post
When I was denied, I requested copies of the approved applications... they wanted two grand in copy charges. I then requested to inspect them in person, which was also denied. They cited personally-sensitive information that must be redacted before they can be publicly viewable.
This is a tactic that many sheriffs use to deny your constitutional right of access to public records. We have litigation in Ventura on this issue, and we will be making the next filing very soon.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:26 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrenlds View Post
Don't know how much water this holds but: I was talking to the owner of a local gun shop about CCW (he is a CCW instructor as well) and he said that he's been doing more classes than ever before and that Parkinson is handing them out frequently. His words exactly 'under the previous sheriff maybe 1 in 10 would get approved, under Parkinson I would guess only 1 in 15 get denied" He also said that the under-sheriff is giving interviews as soon as you drop off the paperwork i.e. same day. Was refreshing to hear and this guy is very much 'in-the-know'.
Good intel, and interesting because it's not what we've heard otherwise. Sounds like we need to dig into this.

Old 03-04-2011, 1:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Please hang tight, let me dig a bit. We'll probably send some applicants through very soon.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

There is also some indication in this thread about SLO number-of-guns on the permit problems -- http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=404821

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 03-05-2011, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
There is also some indication in this thread about SLO number-of-guns on the permit problems -- http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=404821
True.

I spoke with a guy very recently at the range who said he was just approved for his CCW in SLO.

He said that he was practicing with his two allowable guns for his qualifying.

I said, I have three on my permit. Are you sure?

He said yes.

Then I see it posted here that SLO allows two guns on the permit now

If that is the case, it is a very recent change, coinciding with the new sheriff.
Old 03-05-2011, 2:35 PM
CGN Contributor

I heard the same.
Old 03-05-2011, 3:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopalong View Post
If that is the case, it is a very recent change, coinciding with the new sheriff.
I guess the new Sheriff wants as much special attention as Merced Co.'s gonna get
Old 03-06-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Please hang tight, let me dig a bit. We'll probably send some applicants through very soon.
Sign me up... will help any way I can.
Old 03-06-2011, 5:41 PM
Veteran Member

Things are look'n up in SLO!
Old 03-07-2011, 12:55 AM

Wow, this is pretty great news. I hope it all goes down pretty soon.
Old 03-07-2011, 6:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmos7 View Post
Sign me up... will help any way I can.
If you haven't already, sign up on the CalgunsFoundation.org's volunteer page, this is currently the best way to get involved in the CCW Initiative:
https://calgunsfoundation.org/volunt...istration.html
Old 03-25-2011, 12:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Any updates to report?
Old 03-27-2011, 7:23 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Any updates to report?
I believe Brandon and the team is working on diplomacy first on SLOC. I have spoke with a number of people who have CCWs. I have not met anyone who used the simple and only reason of self protection worded however appropriate. All the people I have talked with had additional good causes. It appears that if you live in the most remote/rural areas of the county, response times of 30 minutes or longer, some of the ranchers had received CCWs. There are additional causes even with that..... like no cell coverage, and history of ranch theft and trespassing,etc. Basically one is on their own in the boonies so-to-speak. I know of one man who transports narcotics who was issued a CCW. Some business owners who transport money are able to get licensed too.

That's all I know. Since I never have lived in an incorporated city, all I know are ranchers and farmers and they are a self preservation type of society and many are armed licensed or not.

I guess some 'city folk' will have to apply to see how it is going. Maybe arrange for a face to face with the undersheriff to introduce yourself and have a question and answer session?
Old 03-28-2011, 9:35 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I believe Brandon and the team is working on diplomacy first on SLOC. I have spoke with a number of people who have CCWs. I have not met anyone who used the simple and only reason of self protection worded however appropriate. All the people I have talked with had additional good causes. It appears that if you live in the most remote/rural areas of the county, response times of 30 minutes or longer, some of the ranchers had received CCWs. There are additional causes even with that..... like no cell coverage, and history of ranch theft and trespassing,etc. Basically one is on their own in the boonies so-to-speak. I know of one man who transports narcotics who was issued a CCW. Some business owners who transport money are able to get licensed too.

That's all I know. Since I never have lived in an incorporated city, all I know are ranchers and farmers and they are a self preservation type of society and many are armed licensed or not.

I guess some 'city folk' will have to apply to see how it is going. Maybe arrange for a face to face with the undersheriff to introduce yourself and have a question and answer session?
Thanks for the update/intel Jack. I think that I am going to go ahead and apply to see what happens. Being 60% service-connected disabled, I am unable to effectively retreat from a threat; and there is no way for me to dial 911 in the 1.5 seconds it takes a bad guy to cover 7 yards.

I have to run out to Apex Tactile in Los Osos anyway, so I think that I will drop off an app with the SD.

Now to puts some words to the GC statement....

Old 03-28-2011, 11:30 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Thanks for the update/intel Jack. I think that I am going to go ahead and apply to see what happens. Being 60% service-connected disabled, I am unable to effectively retreat from a threat; and there is no way for me to dial 911 in the 1.5 seconds it takes a bad guy to cover 7 yards.

I have to run out to Apex Tactile in Los Osos anyway, so I think that I will drop off an app with the SD.

Now to puts some words to the GC statement....

I think your GC is one of the better ones even when you consider the traditional GC's over the decades. Serve your country, suffer trauma, come home and want to be safe after making us all safe. He who would not allow you a CCW would be unpatriotic.
Old 03-28-2011, 3:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

What I learned today:

I dropped off my 1911 @ Apex Tactical Specialties in Los Osos after lunch and then drove over to the Sheriff's office to drop off my CCW app. I want to get this put down while it is still fresh in my mind, so here are some points that come to mind:

1. Didn't want my check for $20.00

2. First thing, asked if I had applied to my local PD. I said no, that I didn't find that requirement anywhere in the PC. I was told that it is their policy that I have to apply locally first, otherwise it is an automatic denial. I asked if I could see their policy that outlines this and was told that there wasn't a policy but that it is just their unwritten rule about how it is done.

3. The SLOSD pdf says to include "..an item of cancelled United States postage, which has your physical (street) address...", so I copied a phone bill with my name and address at the top. That wasn't good enough. It had to be the letter itself showing the canceled postmark along with name and address. Not sure how I would get a paper phone bill with my name and address at the top without it being mailed to me at that address, but oh well. Just faxed 3 examples to them just now.

4. She reluctantly accepted my application, but again stressed that it would be denied without submitting locally.

5. Per SLOSD pdf, I included information for 3 firearms. She said that they only allow 2 and that I had to scratch 1 off, so I did.

I am not holding out much hope for this application. My hope is that it provides intel for sunshine and the time I spent doing it proves useful in the future. I will update here as I learn more.

Old 03-28-2011, 5:23 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
What I learned today:

I dropped off my 1911 @ Apex Tactical Specialties in Los Osos after lunch and then drove over to the Sheriff's office to drop off my CCW app. I want to get this put down while it is still fresh in my mind, so here are some points that come to mind:

1. Didn't want my check for $20.00

2. First thing, asked if I had applied to my local PD. I said no, that I didn't find that requirement anywhere in the PC. I was told that it is their policy that I have to apply locally first, otherwise it is an automatic denial. I asked if I could see their policy that outlines this and was told that there wasn't a policy but that it is just their unwritten rule about how it is done.

3. The SLOSD pdf says to include "..an item of cancelled United States postage, which has your physical (street) address...", so I copied a phone bill with my name and address at the top. That wasn't good enough. It had to be the letter itself showing the canceled postmark along with name and address. Not sure how I would get a paper phone bill with my name and address at the top without it being mailed to me at that address, but oh well. Just faxed 3 examples to them just now.

4. She reluctantly accepted my application, but again stressed that it would be denied without submitting locally.

5. Per SLOSD pdf, I included information for 3 firearms. She said that they only allow 2 and that I had to scratch 1 off, so I did.

I am not holding out much hope for this application. My hope is that it provides intel for sunshine and the time I spent doing it proves useful in the future. I will update here as I learn more.

If the phone bill had the date on it, what's the difference if you have an envelope or not? I don't get that. How about copy of your property tax bill and DMV registration together. If you rent, a copy of your rental agreement.

Have you thought about submitting a application to your local PD? They may defer to the sheriff then you are back online with this.

I don't know anything about the legality of this. I'd email Brandon and ask what to do now. If you have no issues with your local PD maybe a application to them will be the first step?

I think your GC is a very good one and politically would get a lot of attention in your favor if you are denied.

Keep us updated ASAP.
Old 03-28-2011, 6:50 PM

I've heard that if you turn in a ccw app in Morro Bay they just tell you "OK, we'll send you your denial letter". My understanding is that the chief of police here in M.B. just automatically defers you to the Sheriff, and getting denied on the local level is just part of the due diligence.
Old 03-28-2011, 6:51 PM

But good luck...I hope you get it.
Old 04-02-2011, 7:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydeedsdoneinthedesert View Post
But good luck...I hope you get it.
Thanks for the well wishes, but alas they said no:

Quote:
Dear Mr. Choprzrul:

Your initial application for a concealed firearms license has been reviewed. The purpose(s) and reason(s) you stated for having a license do not meet the criteria of "good cause" (insufficient reason to issue a permit/lack of justification for need) as outlined in Penal Code Section 12050.

Also, in reviewing the information provided in your application, it was noted that your residence address is located within an incorporated city within San Luis Obispo County. Therefore, I recommend that you contact the xxxyyyy Police Department regarding this matter.

Sincerely,

Martin J Basti
Undersheriff
Sooooo...... it would seem, even though SCOTUS ruled that self defense is an individual fundamental civil right, a service-connected disabled veteran that is unable to effectively retreat from a threat and effectively unable to physically defend oneself; is separated from his civil rights by the local sheriff.

Now, what is the method by which I appeal this? I'm thinking some Heller & McDonald quotations followed by referencing 18USC241 & 242. I am also thinking of contacting the Blackburn fellow that did the Matt Hart video. It really torque's me to think that the sheriff of Nottingham can randomly deny a person's fundamental civil rights on a whim.

Old 04-02-2011, 7:24 PM
I need a LIFE!!

By statute, there is no such animal as an 'appeal' from a denial under PC 12050. You might create some limited uncomfortable PR by use of a very limited press, but you may just foreclose any opportunity to leverage. One should consider goals before taking steps rooted in frustration.

-Brandon

Quote:
Thanks for the well wishes, but alas they said no:

Sooooo...... it would seem, even though SCOTUS ruled that self defense is an individual fundamental civil right, a service-connected disabled veteran that is unable to effectively retreat from a threat and effectively unable to physically defend oneself; is separated from his civil rights by the local sheriff.

Now, what is the method by which I appeal this? I'm thinking some Heller & McDonald quotations followed by referencing 18USC241 & 242. I am also thinking of contacting the Blackburn fellow that did the Matt Hart video. It really torque's me to think that the sheriff of Nottingham can randomly deny a person's fundamental civil rights on a whim.

Old 04-02-2011, 8:33 PM
Calguns Addict

SLO Sheriffs answer "Call 911" period.

Sorry about your denial.
Old 04-03-2011, 5:51 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford8N View Post
SLO Sheriffs answer "Call 911" period.

Sorry about your denial.
Yep. The problem is, I can't dial 911 and have an officer respond in the 1.5 seconds that it takes a threat to cover 21'.

If 911 is a viable defense methodology, why doesn't LE go unarmed and simply rely on calling for backup in a threatening situation? I am really starting to dislike those jackwagons.