Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 08-26-2016, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member

Thumbs up OC: My "Good Cause" statement that got "conditionally approved"

Below is a synopsis of my "Good Cause" statement that got "conditionally approved for further processing" for Orange County.

The GC statement that I actually submitted obviously contained more content and detail. This synopsis should be enough for a lot of you OC residents to compose your own personal GC statement based on your frequent activities.

Again, below is just a synopsis of my "Good Cause" statement, and not the actual statement itself.
  1. I listed the many rural and desolate trails and desert areas that my wife and I hike and explore where we frequently come across coyotes, homeless, and suspicious characters.
  2. I listed the many rural and desolate trails where we walk our dog and frequently come across coyotes, homeless, and suspicious characters.
  3. I listed the many rural and desolate public desert areas, and public/private shooting ranges where we go shooting and could be potential targets for criminals wanting to steal our guns.
  4. I listed the many bad areas of southern California that we have to travel through to get to our destinations.
  5. I listed some of the violent crimes that had occurred in these areas within that last year.
  6. I mentioned that it would take Law Enforcement and EMS considerable time to get to these rural and desolate places.
They did come back and asked for supporting documents like photographs which I did supply.

I can see how one can expand on this to include their personal activities like off-roading, fishing, camping, etc...

I hope this helps.

Last edited by MolonLabe2008; 08-26-2016 at 11:58 AM..
Old 08-26-2016, 11:51 AM

I'm not an OC resident so this doesn't affect me directly, but curious what the conditional approval entail VS a formal approval?
Old 08-26-2016, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizz View Post
I'm not an OC resident so this doesn't affect me directly, but curious what the conditional approval entail VS a formal approval?
Below is what the letter they sent me said. I'm assuming what they mean by "conditionally approved" is that I have to meet their listed conditions like firearms training. If I have to do another live-scan for the renewal, then I guess that is also a condition. But I'm assuming my GC condition has been met otherwise why would they make me spend money on firearms training?
Dear Applicant,

Your Carry Concealed Weapon (CCW) renewal application has been conditionally approved for further processing. You will be required to complete the steps below prior to issuance of a license. Attend a 4 hour CCW training course conducted by an approved provider. The list may be found on our website at www.ocsd.org/ccw. Training fees are paid directly to trainers. Once you have completed your training course, please fax a copy to 714-834-5605. Please note, weapons inspections are no longer required. Upon verification of your weapons, we will contact you with our next available appointment.
Old 08-26-2016, 2:03 PM

They wanted photographs of the areas you travel? Oh my Lord. What will they think of next?

Common sense -> window.

Well, congrats on the "conditional" approval, I guess.
Old 08-26-2016, 2:04 PM

I used outdoors, 4x'ing, camping, etc. At the time of my interview I was not asked for supporting documentation. He just asked me a few extra questions and that was sufficient for him.

My guess is they are toughen up there stance a bit. But still want to issue ccw's. They were very helpful with my process.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Don't live a normal life, Thrive in Life!

https://thrivnwitherik.le-vel.com
Old 08-26-2016, 2:15 PM
CalGuns Truth Squad
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawaia View Post
They wanted photographs of the areas you travel? Oh my Lord. What will they think of next?

Common sense -> window.

Well, congrats on the "conditional" approval, I guess.
Ask people in SD, LA, or the Bay Area if they wouldn't mind taking a couple of pics to get their permit!
Old 08-26-2016, 2:16 PM
CalGuns Truth Squad
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13animal13 View Post
I used outdoors, 4x'ing, camping, etc. At the time of my interview I was not asked for supporting documentation. He just asked me a few extra questions and that was sufficient for him.

My guess is they are toughen up there stance a bit. But still want to issue ccw's. They were very helpful with my process.

Yeah, it appears they want proof now and/or it could be the luck of the draw with who you get for an interviewer.
Old 08-26-2016, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doheny View Post
Ask people in SD, LA, or the Bay Area if they wouldn't mind taking a couple of pics to get their permit!
I agree.

Don't live a normal life, Thrive in Life!

https://thrivnwitherik.le-vel.com
Old 08-26-2016, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doheny View Post
Yeah, it appears they want proof now and/or it could be the luck of the draw with who you get for an interviewer.
Yep, that what I experienced when I went in for my interview earlier this month on the 18th. I used hiking in rural areas with no phone service as a part of my "good cause," and my investigator asked me to send him pictures of myself on one of these trails, so I sent him two pictures of myself out in Black Star Canyon. I also provided him recent articles and news reports of violent crimes happening on the trails that I often hike. I had my residency check this past Sunday on the 21st, and the investigator who showed up said that they really weren't denying that many people at all, so i'm really hoping and praying that I get approved, even though I'm just an Average Joe with a white-collar job and living in a nice and quiet neighborhood.

Overall, it really seems that OCSD's looking for well-articulated good causes and evidence to back up what you're saying if it doesn't fall into the big categories like active/former LEO, job carrying lots of cash, active restraining orders, etc. Before my interview, I always heard about how friendly and helpful the interviewers were, but in my experience, I got a bit less than what I was expecting in terms of how friendly and helpful they were. Nonetheless, I realize I may have had just bad luck on the draw with my interviewer, so seeing this story is a real boost, and huge respect to OCSD for doing what they do.
Old 08-26-2016, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolonLabe2008 View Post
Below is a synopsis of my "Good Cause" statement that got "conditionally approved for further processing" for Orange County.

The GC statement that I actually submitted obviously contained more content and detail. This synopsis should be enough for a lot of you OC residents to compose your own personal GC statement based on your frequent activities.

Again, below is just a synopsis of my "Good Cause" statement, and not the actual statement itself.
  1. I listed the many rural and desolate trails and desert areas that my wife and I hike and explore where we frequently come across coyotes, homeless, and suspicious characters.
  2. I listed the many rural and desolate trails where we walk our dog and frequently come across coyotes, homeless, and suspicious characters.
  3. I listed the many rural and desolate public desert areas, and public/private shooting ranges where we go shooting and could be potential targets for criminals wanting to steal our guns.
  4. I listed the many bad areas of southern California that we have to travel through to get to our destinations.
  5. I listed some of the violent crimes that had occurred in these areas within that last year.
  6. I mentioned that it would take Law Enforcement and EMS considerable time to get to these rural and desolate places.
They did come back and asked for supporting documents like photographs which I did supply.

I can see how one can expand on this to include their personal activities like off-roading, fishing, camping, etc...

I hope this helps.
Seeing your post really made me feel better . What's your overall CCW timeline???
Old 08-26-2016, 8:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHOPSavn View Post
Seeing your post really made me feel better . What's your overall CCW timeline???
Sent in my renewal application the first week of July and received my approval letter yesterday.