Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 10-13-2012, 10:57 PM

What is the typical lead time right now from application to preliminary approval letter? I am considering ,moving back home with my parents and would like to apply. Also, what proof of residency have you guys been using? Is there a thread with good cause statements? Thanks!
Old 10-14-2012, 8:22 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParanoidCivilian View Post
When did it go in effect that you must tell law enforcement that you are a CCW permit holder and whether you have your firearm or not at the time of contact?
In Sacramento County it has been on the website for at least a couple of months. Now it seems that when you renew your LTC, it is printed on the permit. (see post #15)
Old 10-14-2012, 8:24 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92se-r View Post
What is the typical lead time right now from application to preliminary approval letter? I am considering ,moving back home with my parents and would like to apply. Also, what proof of residency have you guys been using? Is there a thread with good cause statements? Thanks!
See post #1278 for some links to Sac County LTC information.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member

Just so everybody knows, the Sheriff has opened up a special day on Nov 3 to do CCW interviews and I've signed up, meaning my Dec 20 appt is up for grabs now. There should be a lot of appointments opening up as people cancel theirs to grab the Nov 3 one.

Keep an eye out!

Deer Hunting Rifles? "Let's get rid of those too" - Adam Keigwin, Chief of Staff for Senator Leland Yee
Old 10-15-2012, 1:20 PM

how can i find out when my appointment is? can i email them? had a little appointment reschedule and now im not 100% sure on what day.
Old 10-15-2012, 1:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetsnaz View Post
how can i find out when my appointment is? can i email them? had a little appointment reschedule and now im not 100% sure on what day.
Log out and log back in. It will say at the top of the page your scheduled date and time
Old 10-15-2012, 2:33 PM

I'm stickin with my original appointment... After how long it took me to get it, I don't even wanna mess with it. Congrats to everyone who did get the bonus day and its cool to see sac sheriff doing something to get in more appointments!
Old 10-15-2012, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewalker View Post
Just so everybody knows, the Sheriff has opened up a special day on Nov 3 to do CCW interviews and I've signed up, meaning my Dec 20 appt is up for grabs now. There should be a lot of appointments opening up as people cancel theirs to grab the Nov 3 one.

Keep an eye out!
All new appointments Gone !
Old 10-15-2012, 5:05 PM

to save me from reading through 33 pages...

does one have to have their training done at the time of the first visit to submit the application?
Old 10-15-2012, 5:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choptop View Post

does one have to have their training done at the time of the first visit to submit the application?
Nope

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
My new saying is, "when the last informed shooter gets fed up setting the record straight from all the trolls, only trolls will be on Calguns.."
Close to the edge here brother.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
More what? More crazy?
You live in California. There's always more crazy. It's a renewable resource.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choptop View Post

You may not save too much time 1 doing so. Although I don't see why the SSD wouldn't allow it to satisfy the training requirement. I had asked this question in January when i had an appointment set in June, and the response was that if i were disapproved for ccw process after initial interview that the training wouldn't help any (ie. Its your risk to take). So, Unless you have a squeaky clean record and have nothing that would risk your approval, you might be able to use it.

But it seems a lot of things have changed since I've gone through the process. It would be best to ask the SSD office directly. Either call or email.

Sent from TapaAtrix
Old 10-16-2012, 1:56 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post
I'm stickin with my original appointment... After how long it took me to get it, I don't even wanna mess with it. Congrats to everyone who did get the bonus day and its cool to see sac sheriff doing something to get in more appointments!
I held my breath while I clicked through and signed up for the earlier appointment. I had the same worry and I don't blame you one bit. Thing is, mine was on Dec 20 and that was going to add a kink in Xmas plans so I decided it was worth the risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by becxltoo984 View Post
All new appointments Gone !
Well that was quick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by egDonald View Post
You may not save too much time 1 doing so. Although I don't see why the SSD wouldn't allow it to satisfy the training requirement. I had asked this question in January when i had an appointment set in June, and the response was that if i were disapproved for ccw process after initial interview that the training wouldn't help any (ie. Its your risk to take). So, Unless you have a squeaky clean record and have nothing that would risk your approval, you might be able to use it.

But it seems a lot of things have changed since I've gone through the process. It would be best to ask the SSD office directly. Either call or email.

Sent from TapaAtrix
This is very prudent advice. As long as CA is going make it as inconvenient and expensive as possible to exercise this right, it's in everybody's best interest to understand they are gaming us, and we need to play their system if we don't want to waste our time and money. Someday this won't be required in CA, but that day is far off.

Deer Hunting Rifles? "Let's get rid of those too" - Adam Keigwin, Chief of Staff for Senator Leland Yee
Old 10-16-2012, 10:22 PM

Hi folks, newbie here.

I have been checking almost everyday for the last few months on the sac sheriff ccw appointment site to find available slots. I have registered for the e-mail list and got two emails on the 13th that there might be possible openings only to receive the email today that all new openings have been taken. Did they just open for one minute and all spots were taken???

I'm not sure how to catch the schedules open.

Any advise is appreciated. I apologize if this has been discussed previously. If so, kindly reference a page number or a topic I can read through. Thanks.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:30 PM

A little bit perplexed, I visited the CCW site after I posted the question above, then, lo and behold, I saw that it was taking appointments for new applicants.

I got a Dec 13, 2012 date!

When I went back to the page, it showed all schedules are taken.

Well, so be it.

Last edited by teeup; 10-16-2012 at 11:13 PM..
Old 10-19-2012, 7:04 PM

I got that same email and moved quick on a November appointment. It was the 16th when I hit the button. That mailing list is a good one to be on.
Old 10-23-2012, 1:08 PM

Anyone have a list of who will do the 4hr minimum refresher course to renew my CCW?
Old 10-23-2012, 1:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

See this thread which I made some recent posts to: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=624314

Your profile says you're in Irvine. Are you in Sacramento County now?
Old 10-23-2012, 1:48 PM

Thanks for the info. Yes, I'm in Sacramento.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbinger007 View Post
See this thread which I made some recent posts to: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=624314

Your profile says you're in Irvine. Are you in Sacramento County now?
Old 11-01-2012, 10:49 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'm going in for my renewal soon. I see at http://www.sacsheriff.com/organizati...heriff/ccw.cfm that all CCW payments to SSD must be by cashier's check or money order (DOJ can still be by personal check). Can somebody confirm if this also applies to the $25 renewal fee due to SSD? It doesn't state anything on the renewal form at http://www.sacsheriff.com/organizati...%20Renewal.pdf Thanks
Old 11-02-2012, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbinger007 View Post
I'm going in for my renewal soon. I see at http://www.sacsheriff.com/organizati...heriff/ccw.cfm that all CCW payments to SSD must be by cashier's check or money order (DOJ can still be by personal check). Can somebody confirm if this also applies to the $25 renewal fee due to SSD? It doesn't state anything on the renewal form at http://www.sacsheriff.com/organizati...%20Renewal.pdf Thanks
Yes, it also applies to the renewals. The web site is updated more frequently than the forms.
Old 11-02-2012, 6:47 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thanks, Mark. I made my appointment almost two years ago. My LTC expires in a month and I keep thinking they'll send some sort of renewal letter telling me what I need to bring in but don't really know if that's the case. Out of curiosity I checked out the web site and noticed the cashier's check/money order requirement. I wonder if they received bounced checks from LTC applicants. This adds an extra cost to most applicants (I can get a money order without a fee at the bank where my wife works).
Old 11-04-2012, 7:42 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Renewal Timeline

FYI guys RE: Sac County Renewal.

If you were one of the earlier CCW recipients you're going to need to bring in current proof of address. Like a SMUD, PG&E, water, cable, or phone bill. This is a new requirement that applies to both new applicants and renewals. I hadn't checked the website in a while before I went in for my renewal and didn't bring proof with me. It wasn't a big deal though I just emailed a copy of a bill to Amber when I got home.

My appt was on Thursday morning, Saturday when I got home from doing fun stuff with the family there was a notice that I wave a registered letter from the Sheriff waiting for me at the PO. So turnaround time is quick. I didn't have any changes to make to my carry weapons or anything else. Pretty painless compared to the initial issue process.

If this latest (2016) assault weapon (semi auto) ban passes... I will simply install hydraulically actuated rotating bolts, and jimmy slap triggers. They can't regulate what they don't understand.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1153858
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 11-04-2012, 8:31 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

When I obtained my first license two years ago there was a proof of residency requirement and I brought it with me but they never asked to see it. I think it's kind of silly with the background check and all since they should have plenty of information on all of us. Thanks for head's up.

One issue I had not noticed on my current is that the serial number for one of my weapons was wrong. With the Arial font on the application a upper case I looks the same as a 1 and they typed a 1 on my license instead of an I. I wrote to Amber about this recently and suggested a font change on their form. On another weapon they switched my model number and serial number when typing it up. I remember checking it when I received it but didn't catch either mistake until two weeks ago.
Old 11-04-2012, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Gunman View Post
FYI guys RE: Sac County Renewal.

If you were one of the earlier CCW recipients you're going to need to bring in current proof of address. Like a SMUD, PG&E, water, cable, or phone bill. This is a new requirement that applies to both new applicants and renewals. I hadn't checked the website in a while before I went in for my renewal and didn't bring proof with me. It wasn't a big deal though I just emailed a copy of a bill to Amber when I got home.

My appt was on Thursday morning, Saturday when I got home from doing fun stuff with the family there was a notice that I wave a registered letter from the Sheriff waiting for me at the PO. So turnaround time is quick. I didn't have any changes to make to my carry weapons or anything else. Pretty painless compared to the initial issue process.
Thanks for the info. Good to know. How was the renewal interview (did you have one or was it just turn in money)?

Proud Contributing Member:
Old 11-04-2012, 6:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutPunch View Post
Thanks for the info. Good to know. How was the renewal interview (did you have one or was it just turn in money)?
Not much of an interview. Turn in the paperwork, they asked if I needed to change anything on the permit, had me fill out a self addressed envelope and a return receipt and sign my new permit. I was in and out in just a few minutes.

If this latest (2016) assault weapon (semi auto) ban passes... I will simply install hydraulically actuated rotating bolts, and jimmy slap triggers. They can't regulate what they don't understand.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1153858
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 11-04-2012, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Gunman View Post
Not much of an interview. Turn in the paperwork, they asked if I needed to change anything on the permit, had me fill out a self addressed envelope and a return receipt and sign my new permit. I was in and out in just a few minutes.
Cool. Thank you again.

Proud Contributing Member:
Old 11-05-2012, 7:58 AM

Default November 3rd

Just did my first interview for Sacramento Sheriff and it was pretty basic. The first part was to verify all your information in the application, DL #, proof of residency, 2nd ID (Passport), Social Security Card and a letter of statement (i actually wrote a letter). The volunteer (retired Deputy) had me sign/date to acknowledge the forms (he did go over each part and ask each question). Once done he escorted back to the waiting room for a follow up interview with a Detective. While waiting they did a standard CA background check on me. Pulling any know criminal activity. Not sure if it was a national check or just for California. After about 5-10 minutes I was called in by a very nice Detective and he went through similar questions as the application but was filling out a form on the computer. I noticed my criminal record on the desk and it was quite a few sheets of paper, I was a bit nervous. Not because I did anything wrong in the past but you never know if the system has a mistake. Anyways how often does anyone pull your criminal record? I did ask if there was anything on my record and he chuckled and said no. He must have seen i was curious. He also stated my application looked good and I should have not problems with the Board on Wednesday (Nov 7). I thanked him and back to the waiting room for a short wait to be escorted to the lobby. My only surprise I was not ready for was when he asked where I had lived. I have been in Sacramento since 1989 and previously 3 years in the south going from one Army base to another settling in to Fort Bragg for 27 months. I know I am getting old when you cannot remember where basic training was.

I know peoples will want a time line. I signed up on Sep 7th for a Feb 2013 appointment. got an email a few weeks latter asking if I wanted to get an early appointment (Nov 3). Logged on to the website 4 times in 3 days and was finally able to get a Nov 3rd appointment. For some reason the web side keep telling me the appointment chosen was no longer available. Persistence paid off. All in all, it should be 30-40 days between setting my first appointment and getting my approval. I hope to have the process completed by christmas or Jan 2nd so it is easy to remember my renewal.

One last thing, dress appropriately. I suggest dressing business casual, it shows you are taking this process seriously and pays respect to the detective who had to give up his Saturday and put on a tie.

peace out.

A Co. 82nd Signal Bn. 87-89
Old 11-05-2012, 10:45 AM

I have an appointment coming up, but I'm having trouble finding the application form. I found this example form on CGF ( http://calgunsfoundation.org/resourc...stdccwapp.html ) but I don't know where to get a blank one that I can print an fill out. Can someone point me in the right direction?
Old 11-05-2012, 12:01 PM

Start here for the entire process: http://www.sacsheriff.com/organizati...heriff/ccw.cfm

And here is the actual app: http://www.sacsheriff.com/organizati...es/ccw_app.pdf

Please pay attention to #7, as it is already checked...bug in the on-line application form.
Old 11-06-2012, 9:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkennedy009 View Post
Just did my first interview for Sacramento Sheriff and it was pretty basic. The first part was to verify all your information in the application, DL #, proof of residency, 2nd ID (Passport), Social Security Card and a letter of statement (i actually wrote a letter). The volunteer (retired Deputy) had me sign/date to acknowledge the forms (he did go over each part and ask each question). Once done he escorted back to the waiting room for a follow up interview with a Detective. While waiting they did a standard CA background check on me. Pulling any know criminal activity. Not sure if it was a national check or just for California. After about 5-10 minutes I was called in by a very nice Detective and he went through similar questions as the application but was filling out a form on the computer. I noticed my criminal record on the desk and it was quite a few sheets of paper, I was a bit nervous. Not because I did anything wrong in the past but you never know if the system has a mistake. Anyways how often does anyone pull your criminal record? I did ask if there was anything on my record and he chuckled and said no. He must have seen i was curious. He also stated my application looked good and I should have not problems with the Board on Wednesday (Nov 7). I thanked him and back to the waiting room for a short wait to be escorted to the lobby. My only surprise I was not ready for was when he asked where I had lived. I have been in Sacramento since 1989 and previously 3 years in the south going from one Army base to another settling in to Fort Bragg for 27 months. I know I am getting old when you cannot remember where basic training was.
I was also there on the 3rd and had a near identical experience. Like you I was unprepared for the "tell me everywhere you have lived outside of California and when" part. Most of my moving was from base to base when I was only a few years old. I wish I had known to research this part ahead of time.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkennedy009 View Post

I know peoples will want a time line. I signed up on Sep 7th for a Feb 2013 appointment. got an email a few weeks latter asking if I wanted to get an early appointment (Nov 3). Logged on to the website 4 times in 3 days and was finally able to get a Nov 3rd appointment. For some reason the web side keep telling me the appointment chosen was no longer available. Persistence paid off. All in all, it should be 30-40 days between setting my first appointment and getting my approval. I hope to have the process completed by christmas or Jan 2nd so it is easy to remember my renewal.

One last thing, dress appropriately. I suggest dressing business casual, it shows you are taking this process seriously and pays respect to the detective who had to give up his Saturday and put on a tie.

peace out.
I had a similar experience on Nov 1st. The only thing that threw me off was that the deputy checking me in at the lobby asked for a written statement of intent. I wasn't aware that this was needed so I wrote "self defense". When I asked the interviewer if that was sufficient he said "the simpler the better".

The detectives seemed very apathetic to my very minor criminal history and experimentation with drugs in high school/college, but wouldn't say for certain if it was a pass or fail since it wasn't up to them. The interviewer did say that I shouldn't have any issues at all.

Just for full discloser I listed petty theft at age 11 and 13. Tried weed 5 times in high school twice in college, and E twice in college. I was also popped for "possession of illegal fireworks" on 4th of july in 2004 during a zero tolerance operation. No contest to an infraction on that. I'm 34 now and all of that seems ages away. The detectives did say that the board does take age and time passed into consideration and it shouldn't be anything to worry about, but it still has me on my toes waiting for that letter. We'll see.

fyi I set my appointment last December, so almost one year for the initial interview.
Old 11-06-2012, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awholelota View Post
I had a similar experience on Nov 1st. The only thing that threw me off was that the deputy checking me in at the lobby asked for a written statement of intent. I wasn't aware that this was needed so I wrote "self defense". When I asked the interviewer if that was sufficient he said "the simpler the better".

The detectives seemed very apathetic to my very minor criminal history and experimentation with drugs in high school/college, but wouldn't say for certain if it was a pass or fail since it wasn't up to them. The interviewer did say that I shouldn't have any issues at all.

Just for full discloser I listed petty theft at age 11 and 13. Tried weed 5 times in high school twice in college, and E twice in college. I was also popped for "possession of illegal fireworks" on 4th of july in 2004 during a zero tolerance operation. No contest to an infraction on that. I'm 34 now and all of that seems ages away. The detectives did say that the board does take age and time passed into consideration and it shouldn't be anything to worry about, but it still has me on my toes waiting for that letter. We'll see.

fyi I set my appointment last December, so almost one year for the initial interview.
that proved you were young once.

but illegal fireworks at age 26 was a little ...
Old 11-07-2012, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallShark View Post
that proved you were young once.

but illegal fireworks at age 26 was a little ...

...which is why I'm 50/50 on if I get approved or not. The disqualifying factors they have listed are all misdemeanor or above violent crimes, or firearms related. Not sure if three packs of firecrackers and five packs of bottle rockets would fit into that. Not like I was selling mortars and bricks of m80s, but an arrest is an arrest so I listed it.
Old 11-09-2012, 1:48 PM
Veteran Member

Default Sac County Sheriff Interview Process

I had the pleasure of going through the Sac County Sheriff initial interview on Nov 3, with the same impressions voiced above by mkennedy009 and Double Phister.

Administrative stuff:
-You do not have to take the firearms training before the initial interview.
-You do not have to declare during the initial interview, the weapon(s) you intend to carry. This can be done on the final interview based on your training success with particular weapons.
-They do want you to complete what they call a “Letter of Statement”. The title makes no sense, and the current procedures do not explain what this is. An old policy statement of the previous Sheriff indicated a need for a "separate written statement detailing your need for a CCW permit. This appears to have become a "Letter of Statement of Good Cause”. The application, Section 7, pg 14, contains a place for the interviewer to hand write the good cause statement. I could find no current information on this animal, but the current program uses the term of art, “Letter of Statement”. I simply wrote a "Dear Sheriff" letter with a “subject” line and provided my good cause statement. It wasn’t a long letter. When we reached the Section 7 item, the detective simply marked my letter with an identification number and hand wrote in section 7, "see attachment #" .

A couple of issues were interesting.

The deputies and detectives seemed genuinely friendly and eager to help. During the first interview and review of paperwork, the deputy was very helpful in exploring and elaborating on issues of my past. As he finished up the paper work, he paused and then began writing, saying, “I’m going to put right up front that you are retired military and a retired state employee.” I asked if my background was so bad it needed the help, and he said, “No, I just don’t want the board to miss that”.

If you have lived outside of California, bring a list of where you lived. During the second interview that day, the detective was reviewing the papers, and said, “OK, residences outside of California. You were born in another state. Let’s start there, where have you lived?” Really? Sixty-one years of parental relocations followed by my personal movements and military deployments, and we finished up. If I’d known this depth of background was needed, I would have brought along the military background papers I filed for clearances over the years.

Don’t lie or attempt to hide stuff…they have ALL of your information. They had information on 40-year old activities (not activities when I was forty; stuff I did 40 years ago!). This included a transgression which was supposedly expunged from my records. They had court dates, locations, initial charges and final outcomes. If they have it, and you talk about it, you'll probably be ok. If they have it, and you deny it, you're going to have a long day.

They will ask you questions you don’t like. The deputy asked me if I owned any handguns. I said yes. He asked, “How many”? My inner voice said, “None of your damn business, and it isn’t relevant to this process is it?” My outer voice gave him an approximate number. I have no doubt that DROS information was available to him on the print out.

During transition from one interview to another, I asked the detective how many people were being screened on the 3rd. He said they had 120 scheduled for the day and had done another 60 the day before. The board of Captains that reviews applications meets every other Wednesday, with Nov 7 the next panel. He indicated they might get the weekend’s work into that board. If not, then it would probably be seen on the 21st.

Overall, a very quick, clean and professional effort; We’ll see how the rest of the process plays out.

Cheers
Old 11-13-2012, 2:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Anyone hear back that attended the Saturday interview?
Old 11-14-2012, 9:18 AM

I live in Lodi, but work in Elk Grove, it is 5 days a week and I am in Elk Grove for 10hr each day I work, is it possible for me to apply for my ccw in sacramento county?
Old 11-14-2012, 10:02 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknot95758 View Post
I live in Lodi, but work in Elk Grove, it is 5 days a week and I am in Elk Grove for 10hr each day I work, is it possible for me to apply for my ccw in sacramento county?
You will be rejected as they will only issue to residents of the county.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:03 AM

You need to reside In Sacramento County .
Old 11-14-2012, 10:06 AM

I had hope I was helping a sac Sherrif out at my job and it came up and he said since I worked there I could apply there. Oh we'll here's to he hopes of San jouquine county

I just moved down here two years ago, my dl still shows sac county to bad that isnt enough, I lived there for 12 years
Old 11-14-2012, 10:09 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknot95758 View Post
I had hope I was helping a sac Sherrif out at my job and it came up and he said since I worked there I could apply there. Oh we'll here's to he hopes of San jouquine county

I just moved down here two years ago, my dl still shows sac county to bad that isnt enough, I lived there for 12 years
http://www.sacsheriff.com/organizati...cw_process.pdf

Check out the 3rd bullet point.