Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 09-07-2012, 7:58 PM

Feb 14 for me

I'm going to look everyday and see if I can move it along forward slowly. I'll give you all a heads up if I do cancel mine so someone can snatch it up.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:28 PM

March 6.

But now I'm thinking I may be to young at 20 by the time my appointment comes, I'm going to keep my appointment until I get a clear answer from the Sheriff when I call to make sure. I've searched google and on CalGuns, no where does it say I NEED to be 21+

Also I need to figure out a proof of address I live at home with my parents which means no utility bill etc, in my name. What should I do?

Last edited by Sbasham; 09-07-2012 at 11:33 PM..
Old 09-08-2012, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbasham View Post
March 6.

But now I'm thinking I may be to young at 20 by the time my appointment comes, I'm going to keep my appointment until I get a clear answer from the Sheriff when I call to make sure. I've searched google and on CalGuns, no where does it say I NEED to be 21+

Also I need to figure out a proof of address I live at home with my parents which means no utility bill etc, in my name. What should I do?

Bank statements will work and cell phone bills, or if you are going to school anything with your name and address on it. That was told to me by a deputy when I went in for my final appointment. Vehicle registration is not accepted iono why. Also you do have to be 21 in order to get the permit, I asked couple years ago and I had to wait to get one.
Old 09-08-2012, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock31B View Post
Bank statements will work and cell phone bills, or if you are going to school anything with your name and address on it. That was told to me by a deputy when I went in for my final appointment. Vehicle registration is not accepted iono why. Also you do have to be 21 in order to get the permit, I asked couple years ago and I had to wait to get one.

I have bank statements, Ill need to figure something else to take.

I really hope its not 21. Ive been trying to get this appointment for a year, and I dont think I can wait another year.
Old 09-08-2012, 7:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I have bank statements, Ill need to figure something else to take.

I really hope its not 21. Ive been trying to get this appointment for a year, and I dont think I can wait another year.
Sorry bud, I am pretty sure they aren't going to give you a LTC if you are under 21.

This is from another site: http://www.californiaconcealedcarry.com/faq.html

"What are the requirements for a California CCW?
1. Legal resident
2. At least 21 years of age
3. Good Cause
4. Good Moral Character "
Old 09-08-2012, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmayer707 View Post
Sorry bud, I am pretty sure they aren't going to give you a LTC if you are under 21.

This is from another site: http://www.californiaconcealedcarry.com/faq.html

"What are the requirements for a California CCW?
1. Legal resident
2. At least 21 years of age
3. Good Cause
4. Good Moral Character "
The problem is, Im not seeing ANYTHING on Sacsheriff.com about the requirements. I know you posted that website but is it an official website?

Legal Resident: Yes
At least 21 years of age:
Good Cause: I wish to carry a firearm for self defense.
Good Moral Character: Never talked to the law, never done drugs or drank, NEVER even been pulled over. Im not a troublemaker nor will I ever become a troublemaker.

So it looks like if the requirement is 21+ thats the only thing stopping me.

Sorry to be questioning you guys, but I dont want to just give up at the first 2 people that say you have to be 21.

Last edited by Sbasham; 09-08-2012 at 7:30 PM..
Old 09-08-2012, 7:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
The problem is, Im not seeing ANYTHING on Sacsheriff.com about the requirements. I know you posted that website but is it an official website?

Legal Resident: Yes
At least 21 years of age:
Good Cause: I wish to carry a firearm for self defense.
Good Moral Character: Never talked to the law, never done drugs or drank, NEVER even been pulled over. Im not a troublemaker nor will I ever become a troublemaker.

So it looks like if the requirement is 21+ thats the only thing stopping me.

Sorry to be questioning you guys, but I dont want to just give up at the first 2 people that say you have to be 21.
Well yeah, but that is something only time will cure. Why don't you call Sacramento county and see if it is a requirement for them? I would be highly surprised if it wasn't.
Old 09-08-2012, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmayer707 View Post
Well yeah, but that is something only time will cure. Why don't you call Sacramento county and see if it is a requirement for them? I would be highly surprised if it wasn't.
I called Amber Wong today after work and there was no answer but I left a message.

I think I remember emailing her about being gifted a handgun at 18 and she said thats legal, which I am now a proud LEGAL owner of a G19. Now I don't remember if i included in that email if I can obtain a CCW at 18+.

It really seems like Sacramento Sheriff (sacsheriff.com) would officially post on their website the requirements.

EMAIL I sent to Amber Wong on March 27th 2012:

"Thank you for your quick response.

Sent from my iPhone

---------

On Mar 27, 2012, at 7:57 AM, CCW <CCW@sacsheriff.com> wrote:

Yes. As long as you are over the age of 18 you can apply for a CCW permit.

~Amber

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, March 25, 2012 5:24 PM
To: CCW
Subject: Age Requirement for CCW

I am emailing in regards to the age requirement to apply for a CCW. I understand that you can be 18 and have NO felonies, and be given a handgun from Mother or Father. Being under the legal age to purchase a handgun, could I apply for a CCW?

I look forward to getting a response, thank you."

I understand that it doesnt say that I will get approved or not. But it does say that I can sure as heck apply for it.

Last edited by Sbasham; 09-08-2012 at 7:42 PM..
Old 09-08-2012, 10:20 PM

Im going to throw this out there that you can be a sheriffs deputy before you are 21 but I also believe that until you are you must work in the county jail because you are unable to carry a handgun. Based upon this my assumption is if a deputy under 21 cannot carry a handgun a civilian likely cannot either.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post
Im going to throw this out there that you can be a sheriffs deputy before you are 21 but I also believe that until you are you must work in the county jail because you are unable to carry a handgun. Based upon this my assumption is if a deputy under 21 cannot carry a handgun a civilian likely cannot either.
That's incorrect.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:28 PM
No, I am not a Moderator!

By law there is no reason that you shouldn't be able to get your LTC at 18+. However both custom and policy (as well as some other litigation in Texas) is currently hinting that government can force you to wait until you're 21.

We're not at a place where we can fight the under 21 battle in Sacramento County, yet.

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @CalgunsFdn on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 09-08-2012, 10:48 PM

Im hopeful Ill get approved. On the slight chance don't because of my age (20, by them time my appointment comes), oh well. At least I tried. But I also don't want to hurt my chances of applying when I turn 21 because I did get denied when I was 20. I should be getting a call from Amber this week, so Ill ask her if I have the same chance of getting one if I was 21 instead of 20.

Theres no reason I should get denied other than the fact they don't feel comfortable with a 20 year old carrying. Like I said, Ive never been in trouble, pulled over or anything like that. Im mature, I know right from wrong.

Last edited by Sbasham; 09-08-2012 at 10:52 PM..
Old 09-08-2012, 11:26 PM

Got an appointment for March 28th.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:32 AM

Are you suppose to have your 16 hour ccw training completed before you come to the first interview? Or after the follw up?
Old 09-09-2012, 10:48 AM

You take your application in first and then if you get approved you then get fingerprinted and then you take your class
Old 09-09-2012, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Im hopeful Ill get approved. On the slight chance don't because of my age (20, by them time my appointment comes), oh well. At least I tried. But I also don't want to hurt my chances of applying when I turn 21 because I did get denied when I was 20. I should be getting a call from Amber this week, so Ill ask her if I have the same chance of getting one if I was 21 instead of 20.

Theres no reason I should get denied other than the fact they don't feel comfortable with a 20 year old carrying. Like I said, Ive never been in trouble, pulled over or anything like that. Im mature, I know right from wrong.

At the moment it is 21 to have a LTC for Sacramento County but to always get the most accurate information it is ALWAYS better to call or send an email their way like you did. I havent had much luck on emails but phone calls they are good at getting back to you in a timely matter. Sorry and i understand the frustration about waiting to go through the process, it sucks.
Old 09-09-2012, 5:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetsnaz View Post
Are you suppose to have your 16 hour ccw training completed before you come to the first interview? Or after the follw up?
If you please, you can take your class before the first interview.
Old 09-09-2012, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane916 View Post
If you please, you can take your class before the first interview.
Yes you can, it is not a problem.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:49 AM

Although you can take the course before you turn in your application it sure would suck to spend all that money and time and get a denial letter in the mail... Just sayin...
Old 09-10-2012, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Although you can take the course before you turn in your application it sure would suck to spend all that money and time and get a denial letter in the mail... Just sayin...
Agreed, and if that happens then you go through the appeal process. If anyone has any problems like being denied or have it and you need legal help the best person to go through is Adam Richards. He is a great guy and helped me a lot when I needed help through the process. If you want more infomation just PM me.
Old 09-11-2012, 3:33 AM

Has anyone recieved a letter being denied, then appealing it and got accepted, went through the whole process of live scan and classes when to the final appointment and then instead of recieveing the permitt in the mail got denied again? If you think this is impossible think again.......
Old 09-11-2012, 11:46 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock31B View Post
Has anyone recieved a letter being denied, then appealing it and got accepted, went through the whole process of live scan and classes when to the final appointment and then instead of recieveing the permitt in the mail got denied again? If you think this is impossible think again.......
That's kinda illegal.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:47 PM

Know I am confused as what I should do, is this even legal to do or against department policy?
Old 09-11-2012, 3:19 PM

Now that I finally have an appointment two questions:

1 is a statement of good cause on a separate sheet of stationary still required?

2 fill out paperwork in ink or using a PC?

And if anyone else thinks of anything I should know I'm all ears I definitely don't want to have an incomplete application and go back to looking for appointments...

Thanks again guys!
Old 09-11-2012, 5:33 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Now that I finally have an appointment two questions:

1 is a statement of good cause on a separate sheet of stationary still required?

2 fill out paperwork in ink or using a PC?

And if anyone else thinks of anything I should know I'm all ears I definitely don't want to have an incomplete application and go back to looking for appointments...

Thanks again guys!
1 separate

2 I used my computer

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
More what? More crazy?
You live in California. There's always more crazy. It's a renewable resource.
Old 09-11-2012, 6:05 PM

whats the appealing approval rate?
Old 09-11-2012, 6:58 PM

not sure of the success rate of appeal but there are some folks who got their CCW on appeal before I got my appointment. I am pretty certain that you only have 30 days from the date of the denial letter to appeal.
Old 09-11-2012, 7:03 PM

Are appeals only allowed one time?
Old 09-13-2012, 8:02 PM

As no one else has answered I will suggest contacting one of the attorneys people have recommended in this thread with regards to appeals. But my understanding is because you have 30 days from denial you basically have little to lose by appealing because after 30 days you can't appeal.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:10 AM

Cost of CCW training for Sacramento County?

I've dug around the CGN site, and can't locate a list of all the schools and cost that offer the CCW 16 hour training. Of course, I would choose the BEST one, not the cheapest, but there does seem to be a large range of prices.

If anyone has compiled a list of prices, with range qualification fees, range fees, etc., would you please post a link? And while I'm at it, anyone know who might give a discount to a CGN Contributor or an NRA member?

(I'll start compiling one, if no one answers, since I have to do it anyway).
Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.

Last edited by BonnieB; 09-16-2012 at 10:14 AM..
Old 09-22-2012, 4:21 PM

I called Amber Wong and she said if Im 18+ I can get a CCW
Old 09-24-2012, 12:16 AM

Can anyone shed some light on what the shooting qualification looks like in Sac County? I talked to someone that got his CCW in Yuba, said he had to shoot at a silhouette target, at 5, 10 and 15 yards with 80% or better hit rate, and they only had to shoot with the largest caliber gun they were putting on their application.

He then said he heard that in Sac you have to shoot opposite hand (left handed if you are right handed and vice versa). I have never heard about that. Any truth to it?
Old 09-24-2012, 7:35 AM

Default CCW instruction classes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
Cost of CCW training for Sacramento County?

I've dug around the CGN site, and can't locate a list of all the schools and cost that offer the CCW 16 hour training. Of course, I would choose the BEST one, not the cheapest, but there does seem to be a large range of prices.

If anyone has compiled a list of prices, with range qualification fees, range fees, etc., would you please post a link? And while I'm at it, anyone know who might give a discount to a CGN Contributor or an NRA member?

(I'll start compiling one, if no one answers, since I have to do it anyway).
I thought there was a list of Sacramento area CCW training course providers on the #5 post in this tread. Perhaps it's not valid any longer.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull's_eye View Post
Can anyone shed some light on what the shooting qualification looks like in Sac County? I talked to someone that got his CCW in Yuba, said he had to shoot at a silhouette target, at 5, 10 and 15 yards with 80% or better hit rate, and they only had to shoot with the largest caliber gun they were putting on their application.

He then said he heard that in Sac you have to shoot opposite hand (left handed if you are right handed and vice versa). I have never heard about that. Any truth to it?
My parents said when they took their class, there was a lady there that wasnt even shooting good groups, and was all over the paper and she passed which is quite scary. For Sac you have to qualify with all the guns you want to carry, be able to shoot with your off hand.
Old 09-24-2012, 1:57 PM

Quote:
My parents said when they took their class, there was a lady there that wasnt even shooting good groups, and was all over the paper and she passed which is quite scary. For Sac you have to qualify with all the guns you want to carry, be able to shoot with your off hand.
The off hand part is what I'm interested in. What kind of accuracy do you need with the off hand? Same as strong hand?
Old 09-24-2012, 3:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull's_eye View Post
The off hand part is what I'm interested in. What kind of accuracy do you need with the off hand? Same as strong hand?
When I took my training (4 months ago) there was no off hand shooting

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
More what? More crazy?
You live in California. There's always more crazy. It's a renewable resource.
Old 09-24-2012, 4:51 PM

I think the shooting portion of the ccw training differs based on which school/institution you enroll under.

I went to California Security Training Academy and i had to shoot off-hand, 6shots, iirc. Of course the"good" area on the target is relatively large (head and the chest/upper abdomen/core of a person) and the amount of time available to place 6shots was more than enough to set sights and pull.

Sorry I have no supporting documentation, but I am to understand that the SSD has select training institutions it will accept for ccw training, all of which the SSD has reviewed and approved their course outline, expectations, and requirements for passing a trainee. I was told that if a training center's requirements or expectations were not sufficient, the SSD would tell them where it needs to be improved and won't approve that center until it meets the SSD's satisfaction.

Sent from TapaAtrix

Last edited by egDonald; 09-24-2012 at 4:56 PM..
Old 09-24-2012, 5:56 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...64&postcount=2

Here is a link to the course of fire that Wes at LFI uses to qualify you for LTC in Sac. County. You shoot the same course of fire with each handgun you want to put on your LTC, unfortunately Sac county only allows three guns.

Also for those unaware, there is a LTC forum with a lot of good info on Sac county. There is a "Sac county individual update" thread with good info also.

Last edited by cranemech; 09-24-2012 at 6:07 PM.. Reason: more info added
Old 10-04-2012, 3:47 PM

When did it go in effect that you must tell law enforcement that you are a CCW permit holder and whether you have your firearm or not at the time of contact?
Old 10-04-2012, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParanoidCivilian View Post
When did it go in effect that you must tell law enforcement that you are a CCW permit holder and whether you have your firearm or not at the time of contact?
Hmm... I don't recall a PC that says you "must", nor does anything in the SSD CCW application mention declaration of the firearm to a LEO at any time (exception: when at air terminal or boarding an airplane - if you even get that far ).

Personally - whether or not it is in the PC, I would always declare I'm currently carrying if I'm stopped by any LEO for "negative" reasons (ie. negative reason is from the LEO's point of view; traffic stop, as a suspect to a crime, etc).

If the LEO were to happen to notice the carry weapon, I definitely don't want him/her getting too anxious about it. So, it'd be better to declare it to him/her from the get-go so there aren't any complications with the interaction.

If I am carrying during a traffic stop, I'd place my CCW permit under my ID, while keeping my hands on the steering wheel and motions away from anything that looks like I'm "going for it".
Even after presenting the CCW permit and the LEO walks back to the car, I will keep my hands on the wheel until he/she returns.

Yes, all this could be "submitting" to the law.
I'm willing to fight and contest a traffic citation.
I'm would NOT be looking forward to contesting a firearms violation.