Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 11-26-2011, 4:32 PM

Thanks for the info Holiday.

“Among the natural rights of the colonists are these: First a right to life, secondly to liberty, and thirdly to property; together with the right to defend them in the best manner they can” Samual Adams
Old 11-26-2011, 8:04 PM
Calguns Addict

these permits are a step above the one i had in 95-97. (chief byrd, isleton police chief issue), it was just the paper, no lamination. i still have the remnants around, and took them to my first interview. the first interviewer said, "oh, you're one of those?" i said yup.

Spyder

"You guys need to take more drugs. Then you can TASTE the sound, and HEAR the light!"
Old 11-26-2011, 8:18 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holiday View Post
sorry if this has already been posted, but i just pulled this off the Sac County Sheriff's website:

As of January 1, 2012, all CCW applicants’ range training and qualification courses must be completed by an instructor certified by:

1. The California Department of Justice or
2. The California Department of Consumer Affairs, Bureau of Security and Investigative Services or
3. The Commission on Peace Officers Standards and Training

i just completed my training and have an appointment before the start date of this qualification...could make a difference if your instructor does not fall under those qualifications.
You might be surprised to learn just what's involved in becoming an instructor certified by the DOJ...
Old 11-27-2011, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyromensch View Post
these permits are a step above the one i had in 95-97. (chief byrd, isleton police chief issue), it was just the paper, no lamination. i still have the remnants around, and took them to my first interview. the first interviewer said, "oh, you're one of those?" i said yup.
I also had one of Chief Byrd's LTCs. I would say the Sac County permit is a step down. With Byrd's permit, I could laminate it myself if I chose to. I wasn't stuck with something to big to fit in my wallet. Chief Byrd also saw no reason to limit a person to three guns. I had four on mine, and knew peple who had several more than that. Think the most I saw was ten. I also only had to qualify with one gun, not all that were listed.

“Among the natural rights of the colonists are these: First a right to life, secondly to liberty, and thirdly to property; together with the right to defend them in the best manner they can” Samual Adams
Old 11-28-2011, 6:50 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

My license was issued 12/3 last year. I have not received any notice from the SSD about having to send in my requalifications with my listed weapons. I recall correctly, Wes (ccwtrainer) said something a few months ago about qualifications being valid for 12 months. I took another CCW class in January of this year (with another instructor just to get some additional training) so maybe I can just send in. I'd appreciate some input from anybody that has spoken to Amber about this recently. Thanks.

Edit: So as to not mislead others, I did NOT remember Wes's comments correctly. I think this post is what I had been thinking about http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...64#post7179864 I still would like to know how recent my qualification needs to be.

Last edited by harbinger007; 11-28-2011 at 7:18 PM..
Old 11-28-2011, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbinger007 View Post
My license was issued 12/3 last year. I have not received any notice from the SSD about having to send in my requalifications with my listed weapons. I recall correctly, Wes (ccwtrainer) said something a few months ago about qualifications being valid for 12 months. I took another CCW class in January of this year (with another instructor just to get some additional training) so maybe I can just send in. I'd appreciate some input from anybody that has spoken to Amber about this recently. Thanks.
You do not have to qualify every year any more. from the Sac Sheriff's site.

Range Qualifications - You must qualify biannually (every two years) or upon renewal of your permit with the weapons(s)/type(s) listed on your permit. If you want to add or remove weapons from your permit, a qualification is required on all the weapons you want on the permit and you will need to schedule a "Concealed Weapons Permit Modification" appointment via our online appointment system. [Online Appointment System]*
Old 11-28-2011, 7:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me1 View Post
You do not have to qualify every year any more. from the Sac Sheriff's site.

Range Qualifications - You must qualify biannually (every two years) or upon renewal of your permit with the weapons(s)/type(s) listed on your permit. If you want to add or remove weapons from your permit, a qualification is required on all the weapons you want on the permit and you will need to schedule a "Concealed Weapons Permit Modification" appointment via our online appointment system. [Online Appointment System]*
Thanks. I should have looked at their site but had looked at the wiki instead which needs to be corrected. http://calgunsfoundation.org/index.p...122-sacramento
Old 11-30-2011, 7:42 PM

Default Wesley Lagomarsino IS certified for Sacramento County ... and many more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by holiday View Post
sorry if this has already been posted, but i just pulled this off the Sac County Sheriff's website:

As of January 1, 2012, all CCW applicants’ range training and qualification courses must be completed by an instructor certified by:

1. The California Department of Justice or
2. The California Department of Consumer Affairs, Bureau of Security and Investigative Services or
3. The Commission on Peace Officers Standards and Training

i just completed my training and have an appointment before the start date of this qualification...could make a difference if your instructor does not fall under those qualifications.
Ever since the Sacramento Sheriff's Department posted these requirements on their website, I have been getting quite a few calls wondering if I'm certified under any of these categories. I absolutely am. Sheriff McGinness and Undersheriff Isawa required that I was certified under at least one of these categories back in July of 2010 when I first started teaching CCW courses for Sacramento County. It's really not a new requirement. They are just finally posting it on their website.

Like CSDGuy said, it's not difficult to become any one of these types of instructors. Putting together a quality curriculium and delivering it in a SAFE and fun environment is another story.

Feel free to contact me at (209) 401-0907 if you have any questions regarding the process or the required training. I'm here to help.

Sincerely,

Wes
Wesley Lagomarsino, CA CCW Instructor - Alameda, Amador, Calaveras, El Dorado, Placer, Sacramento, San Joaquin, Shasta, Stanislaus, Yolo, Yuba, the Cities of Davis, Galt, Lodi, Stockton and Tracy ... and many more to come ... and Arizona, Florida, Nevada, Maine, Oregon, Utah & Virginia

www.LFIguns.com - serving the Central Valley, Foot Hills and Bay Area

Last edited by ccwtrainer; 11-30-2011 at 7:55 PM..
Old 11-30-2011, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Taylor View Post
I have UT, OR, and AZ in addition to CA. The UT is the nicest one, but AZ and OR are both much nicer than CA.
That's a perfect combination of permits!
Wesley Lagomarsino, CA CCW Instructor - Alameda, Amador, Calaveras, El Dorado, Placer, Sacramento, San Joaquin, Shasta, Stanislaus, Yolo, Yuba, the Cities of Davis, Galt, Lodi, Stockton and Tracy ... and many more to come ... and Arizona, Florida, Nevada, Maine, Oregon, Utah & Virginia

www.LFIguns.com - serving the Central Valley, Foot Hills and Bay Area
Old 12-02-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccwtrainer View Post
Ever since the Sacramento Sheriff's Department posted these requirements on their website, I have been getting quite a few calls wondering if I'm certified under any of these categories. I absolutely am. Sheriff McGinness and Undersheriff Isawa required that I was certified under at least one of these categories back in July of 2010 when I first started teaching CCW courses for Sacramento County. It's really not a new requirement. They are just finally posting it on their website.

Like CSDGuy said, it's not difficult to become any one of these types of instructors. Putting together a quality curriculium and delivering it in a SAFE and fun environment is another story.

Feel free to contact me at (209) 401-0907 if you have any questions regarding the process or the required training. I'm here to help.

Sincerely,

Wes
thats great news wes. i took my training with you a short time ago, and just received my ccw for CA. i am working towards my OR ccw now so i am sure i will see you again sooner if not later

thanks for the update too btw...good to know
Old 12-02-2011, 2:39 PM

Finally got a response to my appeal today. DENIED! It's pretty BS that something non-violent from almost 10 years ago which has been expunged from my record can still be held against me. I, unfortunately, didn't have the $1000 to spend on a proper appeal, so I did the best that I could on my own. It obviously wasn't enough. Oh well at least I tried.
Old 12-03-2011, 4:27 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Well, seems like the Sheriff cashed my check yesterday. Time for an approval letter in the mail!
Old 12-07-2011, 9:08 PM

First appt was 11-17-11
Received OK letter did live scan same day 12-2-11
Rancho Cordova lady doing prints had Savage Nation playing on radio, she was very nice and said shes been doing a lot of ccw live scans

I did a scan 5 years ago for my R.E. Brokers license - cleared with ease- Guess all the girls were over 18: )

I need to take my class...weekday class around Sacramento area would be ideal
Old 12-09-2011, 12:54 PM

Hey all,

I just wanted to share my timeline. It took me a month and a day from the first appointment to receiving my permit.

11/3 - Initial Appointment
11/14 - Approval Letter Received
11/15 - Livescan Completed
11/19 - CCW Course with Wesley Lagomarsino
11/20 - CCW Course with Wesley Lagomarsino
11/30 - Livescan Results Received
12/6 - Final Appointment
12/9 - CCW Permit Received via certified mail
Old 12-14-2011, 8:06 PM

How long ago did you book your initial appointment?
Old 12-17-2011, 2:14 AM

Made my appointment today. December 2012 is the earliest date.
Old 12-20-2011, 2:18 PM

Default Appts are OPENING!!!

I was July 12, 2012, JUST got one for this Thursday. Looks like people are heading out of town.
Old 12-20-2011, 3:06 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Early Christmas for you!
Old 12-21-2011, 9:29 PM

My original appointment was for Nov. 8, 2012 - checked in this evening and picked up an appointment for tomorrow (Dec 22, 2011) morning. It's worth keeping an eye on the calendar.
Old 12-22-2011, 7:35 AM

I went in this morning to update my info. Overheard a gentleman's assigned appointment for a new LTC on the system was not honored as a result of a "bug" in the computer system.

He had this appt several months prior! (Now I'm certain if that's really the case). The LTC officer was only able to suggest to call in to verify appointment time on their own system.

Not acceptable... as hard as they're trying, they really need to awknowledge the time we take off to accommodate this uneccessary process.

Last edited by derek@thepackingrat.net; 12-22-2011 at 8:08 AM..
Old 12-25-2011, 5:19 PM

Where can I go to get qualified for a new firearm to put on my ccw? I am in Elk Grove. Also, why can't I see any open appointment dates for the Sac County Sheriffs appointment system?
Old 12-25-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson_wwsc View Post
Where can I go to get qualified for a new firearm to put on my ccw? I am in Elk Grove. Also, why can't I see any open appointment dates for the Sac County Sheriffs appointment system?
Because there aren't any open dates until Dec of 2012.

Semper Fi!

Old 12-25-2011, 10:16 PM

Up until about a week ago or so, there were dozens of appointments for MODS, etc. every Tuesday and Thursday. Something is screwed up in their scheduling system. I recommend calling Amber Wong at (916) 874-5371 to see what's wrong.
M
Old 12-26-2011, 9:48 AM

I went in last week to make a mod and once I got my updated permit in the mail I noticed that a digit was missing on the serial number on a firearm that I didn't even modify. It was a firearm that was there on my previous permits. So in order to modify to fix I'm sure I'll have to make another appt, pay the fee to modify a typo mistake on their part. Also take time off of work to do it. I'm wondering since they do not take the previous permits away and all info on the previous permit is valid could I just carry the updated permit for the firearm that I added and carry the previous permit for the firearm that had the typo serial number?
Old 12-26-2011, 11:20 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Sure, but you could also just email Amber and tell her about the typo. They should be able to just send you a corrected permit since they have all of the information in your file.
Old 12-26-2011, 3:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek@thepackingrat.net View Post
I went in this morning to update my info. Overheard a gentleman's assigned appointment for a new LTC on the system was not honored as a result of a "bug" in the computer system.

He had this appt several months prior! (Now I'm certain if that's really the case). The LTC officer was only able to suggest to call in to verify appointment time on their own system.

Not acceptable... as hard as they're trying, they really need to awknowledge the time we take off to accommodate this uneccessary process.
All,

Next time you hear something similar to this, please get the person's attention and tell them to get a hold of CGF immediately. Someone being denied their rights is EVERYONE's business.
Old 12-26-2011, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbinger007 View Post
Sure, but you could also just email Amber and tell her about the typo. They should be able to just send you a corrected permit since they have all of the information in your file.
Yeah I'll send Amber an email and see what they can do for me. Probably still have to go in to fingerprint though. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyboyJS View Post
Yeah I'll send Amber an email and see what they can do for me. Probably still have to go in to fingerprint though. Thanks for the suggestion.
You'll probably end up with an appointment - you have to put your thumbprint on the permit and copy when they type it up. If there is a problem with the appointment system, Amber might be able to assist.
Old 12-27-2011, 2:40 PM

Default Received my approval letter today!

I had my first interview on 12/14. Went smoothly as expected. Everyone at the Sac Sheriff's SI/IB Office was professional and courteous and did not experience any difficulties or roadblocks thus far.

Happy to announce that today I received my approval letter to move forward with the LiveScan and Training. I know, it's only half the battle but just happy I've gotten this far in the process.

I've read a few CG threads on where and where NOT to go for training. Does anyone have any experience with these two training facilities:
http://casecuritytraining.com/faculty/
http://www.advancedsecurityinstitute.com/
They both seem on the up and up and reasonably priced but would be great to get feedback from first hand experience. Thanks!
Old 12-28-2011, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inzependent View Post
I've read a few CG threads on where and where NOT to go for training. Does anyone have any experience with these two training facilities:
http://casecuritytraining.com/faculty/
http://www.advancedsecurityinstitute.com/
They both seem on the up and up and reasonably priced but would be great to get feedback from first hand experience. Thanks!
CASecurityTraining = California Security Training Academy - good people. I've done several training classes with them.

I have no direct experience with the other, but have heard they like to hold on to your paperwork for you - forces you to come back to them for any recurrent training.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyboyJS View Post
The same thing happened to me they put a 5 instead of an S. I had to go down there, they didn't charge anything since it was their fault, and they laminated it up while I waited.
Quote:
"Those who would ban extended magazines, will say that although hundreds of thousands are in circulation and thousands more will surely be sold before a ban is enacted, it will be worth it if it saves just one life. But the other half of that question must be asked, too: Is it worth it if it costs just one life?" Stephen Hunter
Old 12-28-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77bawls View Post
The same thing happened to me they put a 5 instead of an S. I had to go down there, they didn't charge anything since it was their fault, and they laminated it up while I waited.
Excellent. I'll email her today. Been busy last couple days.
Old 01-03-2012, 4:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Just a quick question. I printed my app. and I went to set a appointment and it shows nothing until 2013 is this right?
Old 01-03-2012, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadon View Post
Just a quick question. I printed my app. and I went to set a appointment and it shows nothing until 2013 is this right?
YES, but keep checking for cancellations.
Old 01-03-2012, 5:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Never mind it shows there are NO appointments,lol I went all the way up to 2020 hahaha
Old 01-03-2012, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Never mind it shows there are NO appointments,lol I went all the way up to 2020 hahaha
The system only allows booking for 12 months in advance - anything beyond that will show as not being available.
Old 01-04-2012, 8:49 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Suggestions anyone? How do I get a appointment within this year? Do I just call Amber?
Old 01-04-2012, 9:22 AM

Quote:
Suggestions anyone? How do I get a appointment within this year? Do I just call Amber?
Check the system whenever you can to see if an appointment opens up. Calling Amber will just slow things down for everyone else. The appointment system is there for a reason. The system isn't perfect, but it is better than what we had a few years ago.
Old 01-04-2012, 1:38 PM

I heard a rumor that Galt PD is going to start issueing. I know Galt is small, but it may lighten the load on the Sheriff slightly. If true that is.

Old 01-04-2012, 1:49 PM
NRA Training Counselor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Taylor View Post
I heard a rumor that Galt PD is going to start issueing. I know Galt is small, but it may lighten the load on the Sheriff slightly. If true that is.
I have heard the same rumor, but at this point it is still just that, a rumor.

NRA Certified Instructor
Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety,Muzzleloading, Personal Protection Series, Chief Range Safety Officer, Refuse to be a victim Regional counselor

Smog Inspections in the Sacramento area.