Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #161  
Old 02-17-2011, 9:24 AM
epilepticninja's Avatar
epilepticninja epilepticninja is offline
misanthrope
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: In a van, down by the river...
Posts: 3,764
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

Wow, after reading the posts here, it seems that Placer Co. S.O. flat doesn't want to issue CCW's. I had two redlight violations in 2008 and I still got approved for my CCW in Sac Co. Granted, I have a LE and Military background that may have countered those two cites, but the stuff I'm seeing here is ridiculous to deny over.

And to call up a CCW applicant about some b.s. that happened 24 years ago when the applicant was a juvenille? wtf? I was arrested when I was a juvenile for theft, and I still was able to get a DoD TS/SCI clearance and make it through two LE background investigations and get hired by the respective agencies. I thought the Placer Co. Sheriff was a 2A guy and CCW friendly. Looks like I was wrong about that, eeesh. Move to Sac Co. gents, the sheriff here is great.
__________________
Don't have anything clever to say at this time...
Reply With Quote
  #162  
Old 02-17-2011, 9:32 AM
pitchbaby's Avatar
pitchbaby pitchbaby is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Placer County, CA
Posts: 1,328
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
Wow, after reading the posts here, it seems that Placer Co. S.O. flat doesn't want to issue CCW's. I had two redlight violations in 2008 and I still got approved for my CCW in Sac Co. Granted, I have a LE and Military background that may have countered those two cites, but the stuff I'm seeing here is ridiculous to deny over.

And to call up a CCW applicant about some b.s. that happened 24 years ago when the applicant was a juvenille? wtf? I was arrested when I was a juvenile for theft, and I still was able to get a DoD TS/SCI clearance and make it through two LE background investigations and get hired by the respective agencies. I thought the Placer Co. Sheriff was a 2A guy and CCW friendly. Looks like I was wrong about that, eeesh. Move to Sac Co. gents, the sheriff here is great.
Don't rub it in dude... believe me... I know if I just lived 5 or so miles in a couple different directions, I wouldn't be dealing with this atrocity.

Having said that, I am glad that Sacramento has fallen to common sense.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #163  
Old 02-17-2011, 9:50 AM
mark2203's Avatar
mark2203 mark2203 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 1,146
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

I'm sorry if I missed something here. If I do apply but, after the process is complete, am denied, are the application fees refundable?

I feel I have legitimate reasoning, good demeanor, a clean record, etc that my chances are probably pretty high for acceptance, but I don't want to waste the time and, especially, the money if I wind up denied for some obscure reasoning.
Reply With Quote
  #164  
Old 02-17-2011, 7:02 PM
pitchbaby's Avatar
pitchbaby pitchbaby is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Placer County, CA
Posts: 1,328
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2203 View Post
I'm sorry if I missed something here. If I do apply but, after the process is complete, am denied, are the application fees refundable?

I feel I have legitimate reasoning, good demeanor, a clean record, etc that my chances are probably pretty high for acceptance, but I don't want to waste the time and, especially, the money if I wind up denied for some obscure reasoning.
I don't know why they shouldn't be. I imagine you would be out the finger printing fee... Otherwise, the only amount they would be allowed to keep if they wanted to is 19 bucks. The rest of it should be refundable.

It is disheartening though that we live in a county where we have to be worried about this sort of stuff.
__________________

Last edited by pitchbaby; 02-24-2011 at 8:31 AM.. Reason: spelling correction
Reply With Quote
  #165  
Old 02-17-2011, 11:25 PM
Anti-Hero's Avatar
Anti-Hero Anti-Hero is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,573
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2203 View Post
I'm sorry if I missed something here. If I do apply but, after the process is complete, am denied, are the application fees refundable?

I feel I have legitimate reasoning, good demeanor, a clean record, etc that my chances are probably pretty high for acceptance, but I don't want to waste the time and, especially, the money if I wind up denied for some obscure reasoning.
If everything you say is true and correct, I don't think you'll have any issue getting a permit.
Reply With Quote
  #166  
Old 02-23-2011, 9:42 AM
goodlookin1's Avatar
goodlookin1 goodlookin1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,462
iTrader: 15 / 100%
Default

Ok, did my interview. My thoughts:

Sheriff was a very nice guy. He came off as reasonable and fair....the type of LEO that I highly respect. He also seemed very pro-2A and positive on self defense/family defense being good cause for issuance. While not explicitly stating this in those words, during my interview process, he made comments that indicated as such. Things like, "no amount of money is worth your life, or the bad guys life", or, "CCW should only be used should you absolutely need to defend yourself or your family". Again, these are not verbatim, but things like this were said and I was a bit surprised. The general feeling I got was that the Sheriff understands what a CCW is really needed for, and that CA's "good cause" necessity was not his main concern.

Having said that, I got a STRONG impression that they take very seriously the actions on an applicant and their past history. The Sheriff/county views things such as traffic violations, run-ins with the law, lawsuits, illegal substance abuse, breaking other laws outside of gun related laws, etc, as making a CCW applicant more likely to break the law if carrying concealed.....and that, to them, is a liability to the public which they are not willing to risk. In other words, they really scrutinize the character of the applicant. They will review your application, hold the interview and inquire about things on it. Then they will run a background check on you from multiple state and federal sources. If they find something on there that you failed to disclose, be sure that they will follow up on why you did not tell them about that. Failure to disclose information that could affect their decision WILL BE FOUND in the background check, so DONT LIE or WITHHOLD ANYTHING, otherwise they will see this as a Character issue; namely that you lack good character. Good Character is something that I sensed was much more important to them than CA's accepted Good Cause (this may still be necessary...I dont know).

When I was being interviewed, I made sure I told them about anything and everything that might even possibly show up on my background check. Even things that were completely out of my control, things I spoke to an officer about and was never written up for, trespassing on property that I did not know was private, etc. The Sheriff told me that he has denied people in the past because they failed to disclose (intentionally) some relatively inconsequential event, and when it came up in the background, he asked them about it and ended up denying them for it. But had they disclosed it when they had the opportunity, he would have approved them because it would have been no big deal. It was the lying/withholding information that caused him to deny, not the event itself.

So in a nutshell, if you dont follow the law on other areas outside of gun related issues, or are found lying or misrepresenting information or events, they see good reason to deny issuing a CCW to you, due to their belief that you will not be able to follow the rules/laws when CCW'ing (being a responsible and trustworthy CCW'er).

Oh, one other thing: I did ask him if being asked to pay up front after the interview indicated a better chance of issuance. He said that he will never tell someone after the interview if they will certainly be issued a permit. He said if there is something in the interview that will most certainly deny the person, he said he will tell them up front that they shouldn't pay the money because they will more than likely be denied. He then said that if there is a potential issue in the interview process, he said that he will tell you, "it is your choice" (it's a 50/50). If he asks you to pay up front after the interview, that means that there was nothing inherently wrong from the interview, and should the background check be found as represented in the interview process, then there shouldnt be anything that would prevent you from being issued a permit.

I am stating these things as to the impression that I got, not as fact or law. I think, given the nature of our "May Issue" laws in CA, the Sheriff/Placer County seemed pretty fair on the way they scrutinize issuance. I'm sure there have been things that have been unfairly treated and such, but I would imagine that, by and large, it's not very common. He mentioned Calguns and how he has seen in the past that when a person is denied, they will come on here and not tell the whole story of why they were denied to make it seem that Placer is unfair. He said that what they typically fail to mention is that they withheld information in the interview process or were caught misrepresenting or lying about something.

We'll see how it turns out for me. I was as honest as possible and represented everything as truthfully as I could. My conscience bears witness

Hope this helps someone who might be thinking of applying.
__________________
www.FirearmReviews.net
Reply With Quote
  #167  
Old 02-23-2011, 11:00 AM
Anti-Hero's Avatar
Anti-Hero Anti-Hero is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,573
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlookin1 View Post
Ok, did my interview. My thoughts:

Sheriff was a very nice guy. He came off as reasonable and fair....the type of LEO that I highly respect. He also seemed very pro-2A and positive on self defense/family defense being good cause for issuance. While not explicitly stating this in those words, during my interview process, he made comments that indicated as such. Things like, "no amount of money is worth your life, or the bad guys life", or, "CCW should only be used should you absolutely need to defend yourself or your family". Again, these are not verbatim, but things like this were said and I was a bit surprised. The general feeling I got was that the Sheriff understands what a CCW is really needed for, and that CA's "good cause" necessity was not his main concern.

Having said that, I got a STRONG impression that they take very seriously the actions on an applicant and their past history. The Sheriff/county views things such as traffic violations, run-ins with the law, lawsuits, illegal substance abuse, breaking other laws outside of gun related laws, etc, as making a CCW applicant more likely to break the law if carrying concealed.....and that, to them, is a liability to the public which they are not willing to risk. In other words, they really scrutinize the character of the applicant. They will review your application, hold the interview and inquire about things on it. Then they will run a background check on you from multiple state and federal sources. If they find something on there that you failed to disclose, be sure that they will follow up on why you did not tell them about that. Failure to disclose information that could affect their decision WILL BE FOUND in the background check, so DONT LIE or WITHHOLD ANYTHING, otherwise they will see this as a Character issue; namely that you lack good character. Good Character is something that I sensed was much more important to them than CA's accepted Good Cause (this may still be necessary...I dont know).

When I was being interviewed, I made sure I told them about anything and everything that might even possibly show up on my background check. Even things that were completely out of my control, things I spoke to an officer about and was never written up for, trespassing on property that I did not know was private, etc. The Sheriff told me that he has denied people in the past because they failed to disclose (intentionally) some relatively inconsequential event, and when it came up in the background, he asked them about it and ended up denying them for it. But had they disclosed it when they had the opportunity, he would have approved them because it would have been no big deal. It was the lying/withholding information that caused him to deny, not the event itself.

So in a nutshell, if you dont follow the law on other areas outside of gun related issues, or are found lying or misrepresenting information or events, they see good reason to deny issuing a CCW to you, due to their belief that you will not be able to follow the rules/laws when CCW'ing (being a responsible and trustworthy CCW'er).

Oh, one other thing: I did ask him if being asked to pay up front after the interview indicated a better chance of issuance. He said that he will never tell someone after the interview if they will certainly be issued a permit. He said if there is something in the interview that will most certainly deny the person, he said he will tell them up front that they shouldn't pay the money because they will more than likely be denied. He then said that if there is a potential issue in the interview process, he said that he will tell you, "it is your choice" (it's a 50/50). If he asks you to pay up front after the interview, that means that there was nothing inherently wrong from the interview, and should the background check be found as represented in the interview process, then there shouldnt be anything that would prevent you from being issued a permit.

I am stating these things as to the impression that I got, not as fact or law. I think, given the nature of our "May Issue" laws in CA, the Sheriff/Placer County seemed pretty fair on the way they scrutinize issuance. I'm sure there have been things that have been unfairly treated and such, but I would imagine that, by and large, it's not very common. He mentioned Calguns and how he has seen in the past that when a person is denied, they will come on here and not tell the whole story of why they were denied to make it seem that Placer is unfair. He said that what they typically fail to mention is that they withheld information in the interview process or were caught misrepresenting or lying about something.

We'll see how it turns out for me. I was as honest as possible and represented everything as truthfully as I could. My conscience bears witness

Hope this helps someone who might be thinking of applying.
This is exactly correct. Good luck, it sounds like you've passed the sniff test.

It's refreshing to see a positive post in the Placer county sub forum.
Reply With Quote
  #168  
Old 02-24-2011, 6:48 AM
trailbuster's Avatar
trailbuster trailbuster is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Foresthill
Posts: 28
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

This is exactly the impression I got during my interview.....and I received my permit in the mail yesterday.

I was rather shocked at how well received I was during the entire process. Very professionally handled and I commend the Placer County Sheriff's Office. They do a lot for our local community regardless of what some people think.
__________________
Progress comes to those who train and train; Reliance on secret techniques will get you nowhere. - Morihei Ueshiba
Reply With Quote
  #169  
Old 02-24-2011, 8:30 AM
pitchbaby's Avatar
pitchbaby pitchbaby is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Placer County, CA
Posts: 1,328
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

I know it is pretty obvious that some of us aren't fans of the issuing policies here in Placer... but they have always been professional and courteous. That is not the issue, not even by a long shot. We just want what is acceptable for issuance in Butte, Yuba, Sutter, and now even (by some recent comparisons) in Sacramento ( and numerous other close-by counties) to be acceptable for issuance in Placer as well. This will either happen voluntarily by policy of the sheriff or in the courts as it is already at issue in the 9th district judicial system, but one way or another, it will happen. I for one, however would prefer a voluntary policy change. It's less frustrating to all involved, most especially at the SO when it is voluntary rather than compelled.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #170  
Old 02-25-2011, 8:58 AM
Canucky's Avatar
Canucky Canucky is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,110
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

Have a friend applying today. Doubt he will get his. Reading these post refering to driving records. He also has a medical mary jane lic/. Would that also be grounds for denial? He doesn't use, only got it for a source of income down the road if it became legal. Read the app it mentions NO MEDS??? How about high blood pressure. Very poorly worded. He has took a ccw course in Yuba city and discussed all these issues with the guy running the class. Any feed back thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #171  
Old 02-25-2011, 9:23 AM
pitchbaby's Avatar
pitchbaby pitchbaby is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Placer County, CA
Posts: 1,328
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckyraider View Post
Have a friend applying today. Doubt he will get his. Reading these post refering to driving records. He also has a medical mary jane lic/. Would that also be grounds for denial? He doesn't use, only got it for a source of income down the road if it became legal. Read the app it mentions NO MEDS??? How about high blood pressure. Very poorly worded. He has took a ccw course in Yuba city and discussed all these issues with the guy running the class. Any feed back thanks.
I can't imagine them being happy about the med marijuana thing. It would be interesting to see how that flies. Driving record probably won't be a concern unless it is 3 or more citations. That is just an educated guess on my part.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #172  
Old 02-25-2011, 9:38 AM
Canucky's Avatar
Canucky Canucky is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,110
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

Thanks will update when this runs its course. The girlfriend will be applying aswell. She has property in different counties. Sac/Lassen/Siskiyou/Placer. Which one would you recommend? And if being denied in Placer can appling elsewhere matter? She has nada zilch infractions or run ins.
Reply With Quote
  #173  
Old 02-25-2011, 9:46 AM
pitchbaby's Avatar
pitchbaby pitchbaby is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Placer County, CA
Posts: 1,328
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckyraider View Post
Thanks will update when this runs its course. The girlfriend will be applying aswell. She has property in different counties. Sac/Lassen/Siskiyou/Placer. Which one would you recommend? And if being denied in Placer can appling elsewhere matter? She has nada zilch infractions or run ins.
She needs to apply where her primary residence is.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #174  
Old 02-25-2011, 10:21 AM
Canucky's Avatar
Canucky Canucky is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,110
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

Define primary? The biggest reason for her to carry is her rural property. We can be out in the middle of nowhere working on things. We have a house in Tenant (Weed). four thousand acres. Tree farm. There is a real threat of cougars. And ofcourse TWEAKERS. Guess I will get her to inquire.
Reply With Quote
  #175  
Old 02-28-2011, 10:24 AM
goodlookin1's Avatar
goodlookin1 goodlookin1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,462
iTrader: 15 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckyraider View Post
Define primary? The biggest reason for her to carry is her rural property. We can be out in the middle of nowhere working on things. We have a house in Tenant (Weed). four thousand acres. Tree farm. There is a real threat of cougars. And ofcourse TWEAKERS. Guess I will get her to inquire.
What address does her mail go to? Unless it's a PO Box, that is most likely her primary residence.
__________________
www.FirearmReviews.net
Reply With Quote
  #176  
Old 03-03-2011, 7:02 PM
DGoodale DGoodale is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Elk Grove
Posts: 268
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Default

Can anyone confirm if carry is permitted at the Placer County Fairgrounds in Roseville? Not during the county fair but just for shows. I looked over their website but no info.
Thx!
Reply With Quote
  #177  
Old 03-03-2011, 7:30 PM
dartbrandx's Avatar
dartbrandx dartbrandx is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Too close to Sacramento
Posts: 89
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

dgoodale,

You might want to check out their website for a number to call...dunno.

How about cal expo? Perhaps a certain gun show? I thought I read somewhere that you can't carry at a gun show.?.? I won't be carrying mine because there will be a beer garden or fest or something that involves alcohol. I won't touch my gun even if I've had a sip.
Reply With Quote
  #178  
Old 03-03-2011, 7:54 PM
Coded-Dude's Avatar
Coded-Dude Coded-Dude is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,709
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGoodale View Post
Can anyone confirm if carry is permitted at the Placer County Fairgrounds in Roseville? Not during the county fair but just for shows. I looked over their website but no info.
Thx!
i went to the last gun show and you were allowed to check and bring in firearms, however i didn't bring any. not sure if they zip tied checked guns or what. although there is a school or two within 1k ft. so carrying in the parking lot is a toss up(if you don't have a ccw).

as for other events....i don't see why you couldn't ccw(unless otherwise posted). state parks are restricted, but cities and counties are pre-empted, so i would think regular events are fine. IANAL

I have looked for this info myself, but found nothing specific to the county fairgrounds. i also do not have my ccw yet.
__________________
x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadbolt View Post
watching this state and country operate is like watching a water park burn down. doesn't make sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obama
Team 6 showed up in choppers, it was so cash. Lit his house with red dots like it had a rash. Navy SEALs dashed inside his house, left their heads spinning...then flew off in the night screaming "Duh, WINNING!"
Reply With Quote
  #179  
Old 03-03-2011, 8:19 PM
dartbrandx's Avatar
dartbrandx dartbrandx is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Too close to Sacramento
Posts: 89
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

This was taken from here.

page 3 towards the bottom.


http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/california.pdf


California Codes
Penal Code
12071.4.
(a) This section shall be known, and may be cited as, the Gun Show Enforcement and Security Act of 2000.
(c) All firearms transfers at the gun show or event shall be in accordance with applicable state and federal laws.
(d) Except for purposes of showing ammunition to a prospective buyer, ammunition at a gun show or event may be displayed only in closed original factory boxes or other closed containers.
(g) No person at a gun show or event, other than security personnel or sworn peace officers, shall possess at the same time both a firearm and ammunition that is designed to be fired in the firearm. Vendors having those items at the show for sale or exhibition are exempt from this prohibition.
Reply With Quote
  #180  
Old 03-03-2011, 8:24 PM
pitchbaby's Avatar
pitchbaby pitchbaby is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Placer County, CA
Posts: 1,328
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dartbrandx View Post
This was taken from here.

page 3 towards the bottom.


http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/california.pdf


California Codes
Penal Code
12071.4.
(a) This section shall be known, and may be cited as, the Gun Show Enforcement and Security Act of 2000.
(c) All firearms transfers at the gun show or event shall be in accordance with applicable state and federal laws.
(d) Except for purposes of showing ammunition to a prospective buyer, ammunition at a gun show or event may be displayed only in closed original factory boxes or other closed containers.
(g) No person at a gun show or event, other than security personnel or sworn peace officers, shall possess at the same time both a firearm and ammunition that is designed to be fired in the firearm. Vendors having those items at the show for sale or exhibition are exempt from this prohibition.
Does this exemption exist for those who are working for the dealer during the event as well?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #181  
Old 03-03-2011, 8:38 PM
dartbrandx's Avatar
dartbrandx dartbrandx is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Too close to Sacramento
Posts: 89
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

That's a great question. Unfortunately, that's all that was listed on the law, so ofcourse, it's most likely up to "interpretation"

I, myself haven't been to a gun show in a long time. I have however been to several gun shops. All or most of the employees of those gun shops are open carry. I wonder if they can open carry while working their booths??
Reply With Quote
  #182  
Old 03-04-2011, 2:01 PM
dakine07 dakine07 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 8
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

I currently have a ccw and wanted to add a new gun. I purchased an off roster gun new with the one shot modification and then changed it back to normal semi-auto. Is there going to be a problem adding it ?
Reply With Quote
  #183  
Old 03-10-2011, 9:55 PM
JeffCinSac JeffCinSac is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 443
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

To dakine07: I have the same question. Who knows? In another generic thread where I asked, no less an authority than hoffmang said a sheriff would have no way to know that's how you acquired said pistol. In that sense it should be no different than listing an off-roster pistol you acquired via ppt that was never modified, which should not be an issue. And if there were a question regarding modification of said pistol, you are in fact reverting it from a modified state to a factory state. I think it should be fine but there's only one way to find out for sure. Regardless, if you try please let us know the outcome as I'd like to do the very same thing myself. If you don't try it first, I may. I just have to wait for my new CDL before I can make any purchases.
Reply With Quote
  #184  
Old 03-11-2011, 7:35 AM
jb7706's Avatar
jb7706 jb7706 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Elk Grove
Posts: 1,568
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakine07 View Post
I currently have a ccw and wanted to add a new gun. I purchased an off roster gun new with the one shot modification and then changed it back to normal semi-auto. Is there going to be a problem adding it ?
Nothing in the PC prevents it.
__________________
The statements above are mine alone and do not reflect the policies or positions of Folsom Shooting Club or Sacramento Valley Shooting Center unless otherwise noted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7x57 View Post
Sacramento would declare martial law sooner than they'd meet with Gandhi, Gautama Budda, and Jesus Christ if the three were packing heat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Even people not from San Francisco can appreciate a good public spanking like this.
WANTED: G19. New or near new condition in Sacramento area.
Reply With Quote
  #185  
Old 03-14-2011, 9:19 AM
JeffCinSac JeffCinSac is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 443
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

To jb7706: That may be true, but in CA sheriffs have very broad discretion to, it sometimes seems, do as they damn well please. Nothing in the PC limits you to three handguns on your permit or says "no modifications allowed," but PCSO has both of those policies. Presumably the only way to fight those policies would be to complain, but as a current ccw holder I don't really want to rock the boat. Heck, it seems from reading this thread that people are being denied for lack of moral character in Placer for speeding tickets, ancient misdemeanor convictions, and other trivial stuff, so I would not consider it outside the realm of possibility to have trouble at renewal time be the result of any such complaint. Remember that the PCSO's policy for modifying an approved weapon is revocation.
Reply With Quote
  #186  
Old 03-14-2011, 10:42 AM
Anti-Hero's Avatar
Anti-Hero Anti-Hero is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,573
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Placer counties denial policies are being exaggerated to the point of hilarity.
Reply With Quote
  #187  
Old 03-14-2011, 12:47 PM
dartbrandx's Avatar
dartbrandx dartbrandx is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Too close to Sacramento
Posts: 89
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Ya, tell that to the people who were denied.
Reply With Quote
  #188  
Old 03-14-2011, 1:20 PM
pitchbaby's Avatar
pitchbaby pitchbaby is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Placer County, CA
Posts: 1,328
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dartbrandx View Post
Ya, tell that to the people who were denied.
Ya, ^^^ Literally denied for a few traffic tickets. I feel worst for "ThatRogue" Considering how many miles he drives... I drive a lot, more than most... but at 70K per year, he has more almost doubled.... it is utterly ridiculous that he can't get a permit considering his line of work... especially being that only one of his tickets was actually a "moving" violation. The other 2 were for a single chain on an empty trailer and no headset while on the phone... or something like that.

Time for a new policy or a new sheriff.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #189  
Old 03-14-2011, 1:23 PM
Coded-Dude's Avatar
Coded-Dude Coded-Dude is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,709
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

I'm going to be going in soon, and am worried because I get a speeding ticket(usually always on the freeway heading down south) about once every 3 years.
__________________
x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadbolt View Post
watching this state and country operate is like watching a water park burn down. doesn't make sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obama
Team 6 showed up in choppers, it was so cash. Lit his house with red dots like it had a rash. Navy SEALs dashed inside his house, left their heads spinning...then flew off in the night screaming "Duh, WINNING!"
Reply With Quote
  #190  
Old 03-14-2011, 1:38 PM
jb7706's Avatar
jb7706 jb7706 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Elk Grove
Posts: 1,568
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffCinSac View Post
To jb7706: That may be true, but in CA sheriffs have very broad discretion to, it sometimes seems, do as they damn well please. Nothing in the PC limits you to three handguns on your permit or says "no modifications allowed," but PCSO has both of those policies. Presumably the only way to fight those policies would be to complain, but as a current ccw holder I don't really want to rock the boat. Heck, it seems from reading this thread that people are being denied for lack of moral character in Placer for speeding tickets, ancient misdemeanor convictions, and other trivial stuff, so I would not consider it outside the realm of possibility to have trouble at renewal time be the result of any such complaint. Remember that the PCSO's policy for modifying an approved weapon is revocation.
There is nothing in the PC that gives the SO any leeway to limit gun counts, modifications, calibers etc. Doing so only brings unwanted attention by folks like CGF. I totally understand that you or I can do nothing about it unless we have the $$ to see it through in court. They will get attention as soon as the time has come I'm sure. Then again all it may take is a call to the right person to make this go away.
__________________
The statements above are mine alone and do not reflect the policies or positions of Folsom Shooting Club or Sacramento Valley Shooting Center unless otherwise noted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7x57 View Post
Sacramento would declare martial law sooner than they'd meet with Gandhi, Gautama Budda, and Jesus Christ if the three were packing heat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Even people not from San Francisco can appreciate a good public spanking like this.
WANTED: G19. New or near new condition in Sacramento area.
Reply With Quote
  #191  
Old 03-14-2011, 1:57 PM
Anti-Hero's Avatar
Anti-Hero Anti-Hero is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,573
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchbaby View Post
Ya, ^^^ Literally denied for a few traffic tickets. I feel worst for "ThatRogue" Considering how many miles he drives... I drive a lot, more than most... but at 70K per year, he has more almost doubled.... it is utterly ridiculous that he can't get a permit considering his line of work... especially being that only one of his tickets was actually a "moving" violation. The other 2 were for a single chain on an empty trailer and no headset while on the phone... or something like that.

Time for a new policy or a new sheriff.
I'm SURE there are people out there who claim "I only had a couple of speeding tickets" when in fact they've got a lot more skeletons in the closet, and that is why they're being denied.
Reply With Quote
  #192  
Old 03-14-2011, 2:14 PM
pitchbaby's Avatar
pitchbaby pitchbaby is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Placer County, CA
Posts: 1,328
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

All due respect... don't talk to me like I don't know my own past bro. I am what I say I am. I was told I was denied for traffic tickets. It really is like that. Even Jessica at their office confirmed for me that this is common as well as Lt. Minton-Sander. If you don't believe it, perhaps you need to do your own homework.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #193  
Old 03-14-2011, 2:22 PM
Anti-Hero's Avatar
Anti-Hero Anti-Hero is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,573
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

What makes you think I'm referring to you? But since you brought it up, lets see how well I've done my home work.

By your own admission you've had a TRO, lost your rights for 3 years, escalated a road rage incident to the point you had to have a local CCW instructor intervene, and have traffic tickets on top of it all.

I'm no expert on good moral character, but I'm certain all that was taken into consideration when the final decision was made. Do you disagree?
Reply With Quote
  #194  
Old 03-14-2011, 2:37 PM
pitchbaby's Avatar
pitchbaby pitchbaby is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Placer County, CA
Posts: 1,328
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

It is also well documented that the TRO was issued by the judge who admitted in the courtroom that I was not and never was a threat to the girl and he knew it, but decided to issue it anyway as a measure to help the "emotional" well being of the girl requesting it. Feel free to check out the court reporter tape up in Humboldt, it is there plain as day.

Also, I did not escalate anything on the side of any road, in fact, I was the one who talked the guy down and gave the signal to the CCW instructor NOT to intervene... since we are bringing that one up... I may have posted something about it here, but do not recall doing so. I am beginning to think you must be someone with privileged information at the Sheriff's office.

Through all of that, I am currently a Cubmaster, have been a sunday school teacher, I am an Elder in my church, and have been called to several callings of leadership and example in church and in scouting. If all of the other bits of stuff that have happened were indicative of my character, I doubt I would be allowed anywhere near children or have been called to be a leader in a religious setting. I personally am far more willing to call myself out on my faults and it is uncomfortable for me to cite my positive accomplishments, but if a broad picture of moral character is something to be determined, than I believe that all facets of someones life should be brought into serious consideration, not just the stuff that happens on the side of the road or when someone decides to lie about you to meet their own less than savory objectives.

Speaking of traffic tickets... It has been almost 3 years at this point since I have had one. Just sayin'... That has little to do with my desire for a CCW and more to do with me just deciding my kids were old enough now to notice what I was doing behind the wheel and me wanting to be a better example to them.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #195  
Old 03-14-2011, 2:51 PM
Anti-Hero's Avatar
Anti-Hero Anti-Hero is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,573
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

I am not privy to any privileged information. I'm only repeating what you posted, on this forum. I have no choice but to take what you say on it's merits, since I don't have the slightest interest if it's true or not.

But that brings me back to my original post about people saying their being denied for "only traffic tickets" and not looking at the whole picture. Which I'm sure we both know Placer Co. did.

I'm sure you're a decent person, and I'm sure you'll get a permit provided Richards goes our way. But lets not sit here and scream impropriety on the part of the PCSO issuing policy.
Reply With Quote
  #196  
Old 03-14-2011, 2:57 PM
pitchbaby's Avatar
pitchbaby pitchbaby is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Placer County, CA
Posts: 1,328
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Like I said bro... I am more concerned about Thatrogue... Honestly though... if they are denying for anything more than traffic tickets, but then just specifically stating in the letters that we get that they are denying for traffic tickets... why not just say there is something more? We were honest in our applications, why shouldn't they be held to the same standard?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #197  
Old 03-14-2011, 3:06 PM
Coded-Dude's Avatar
Coded-Dude Coded-Dude is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,709
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Yes...we have it better than some counties(there is a chance we may get a CC permit). However, it is not guaranteed. Legally speaking it should be shall issue statewide. I think you will find more people being vocal about may issue counties than no issue(since you don't even have a shot in a no issue county). So when one gets denied for what could be argued as irrelevant to good cause, you're going to hear about it.
__________________
x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadbolt View Post
watching this state and country operate is like watching a water park burn down. doesn't make sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obama
Team 6 showed up in choppers, it was so cash. Lit his house with red dots like it had a rash. Navy SEALs dashed inside his house, left their heads spinning...then flew off in the night screaming "Duh, WINNING!"
Reply With Quote
  #198  
Old 03-14-2011, 11:43 PM
thatrogue's Avatar
thatrogue thatrogue is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: El Dorado Hills, CA
Posts: 388
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-Hero View Post
I'm SURE there are people out there who claim "I only had a couple of speeding tickets" when in fact they've got a lot more skeletons in the closet, and that is why they're being denied.
I'm sure there are people out there like that to. I am not one of them. I am the Operations Manager for the one of the largest repossession agencies in CA an NV. I have personally repossessed 3500+ vehicles and direct my operation to the recovery of +or- 10k units per year. That is a lot of volatile interaction with the public with zero complaints or police reports on my person or lic.

Placer County gave me the nod, and said my approval hinges on my background check. Robbed me of $210 finger printed me and then issued a denial using irrelevant PC in a badly written letter. After a ridiculously pointless phone call by Mittensander. Wtf is the point of calling me to tell me your denying me? Bad logic if you want my opinion.

I will be requesting my money back soon. I would just like to understand why collect all the fees and run a background on someone whom your are going to deny... are they hoping for a skeleton like Anti-hero claims all denials seems to have.

Btw... If anyone would like to help formulate a request for a review of the denial, I am looking for help in what this needs to look like. please advise.
__________________
"You will see us move very quickly to gut the remnants of the assault weapon ban in California"- Gene Hoffman
SW 1911 PD w/crimson trace
Sig p250t .40 digital camo
16" EBR
18" 1187 super mag special purpose
Ruger m77 .270


Last edited by thatrogue; 03-14-2011 at 11:46 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #199  
Old 03-18-2011, 7:01 AM
goodlookin1's Avatar
goodlookin1 goodlookin1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,462
iTrader: 15 / 100%
Default

Well, I wanted to let everyone know that I RECEIVED MY PERMIT YESTERDAY!!!


WOO HOO!!!!

And the cherry on top is that I also received an email yesterday from Tucker Gun Leather that they will be shipping out my HF-1 holster today!!!

Yesterday was a great day!

__________________
www.FirearmReviews.net
Reply With Quote
  #200  
Old 03-18-2011, 7:14 AM
pitchbaby's Avatar
pitchbaby pitchbaby is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Placer County, CA
Posts: 1,328
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlookin1 View Post
Well, I wanted to let everyone know that I RECEIVED MY PERMIT YESTERDAY!!!


WOO HOO!!!!

And the cherry on top is that I also received an email yesterday from Tucker Gun Leather that they will be shipping out my HF-1 holster today!!!

Yesterday was a great day!

"Like"

Congrats!
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:08 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.