Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 12-10-2010, 1:56 PM
Calguns Addict

I just donated(x2) to the Placer fund. Will be getting a copy of my Driving history today and picking up my second handgun tomorrow(1911PD). Then I will take the course and submit the forms....sometime in Jan/Feb.
Old 12-10-2010, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coded-Dude View Post
I just donated(x2) to the Placer fund. Will be getting a copy of my Driving history today and picking up my second handgun tomorrow(1911PD). Then I will take the course and submit the forms....sometime in Jan/Feb.
If you need help with good cause, feel free to let me know.
Old 12-10-2010, 5:09 PM
Calguns Addict

i have 1 current point on my record with a total of 4 in 10 yrs. no accidents or fta's. my buddy, who wants to do all of this with me has a much worse record so i forwarned him about the possibility of getting denied. anywho, i will definitely be asking for a helpful review of my good cause when the time arrives.

thanks in advance for anyone who offers help/suggestions.

speaking of that.....is referencing crime stats of(lets just say) the last 6 months in the public area's that you spend most of your time in a good idea?
Old 12-10-2010, 5:25 PM

First things first, you may have only one point on your record, but points and citations issued, regardless of how they were resolved (dismissal, traffic school, etc...) are not the same in the eyes of the SO. They will ding you for all issued citations, even if you have a low "points" count.

As for quoting stats... I think you'll just make for a boring letter that will be like trying to show your smarter than they are for the peeps in Placer. It would however help to say that your work takes you into places with increasing crime due to losses in police presence because of budget cuts... keep it simple, but tell the same story.
Old 12-10-2010, 8:12 PM

Does it matter what state tickets are issued in? I got 4 in a real bad 30 day period 1 and a half years ago. All were out of state, and I don't think any ever made it to my DMV record. They may be there, but I still get the good driver discount
Old 12-10-2010, 8:22 PM

The sheriff sees them all. Sorry dude.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:04 PM

It doesn't hurt to apply, be honest, be humble, and own your mistakes like the mature adult they need to be convinced you are. Traffic tickets aren't the coffin nail in your CCW; however, they certainly don't help your case either.

Good luck!
Old 12-10-2010, 11:37 PM

We will see if traffic tickets are a nail or not. I will update u all next week. I am by all means over qualified based on Gc, although my non misdemeanor driving record is being perceived as questionable. If I get denied I can only hope CGF would see it as a early christmas present for the cause.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:54 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Can someone in Placer close to the Sheriff's Office who doesn't mind rolling up their sleeves do some legwork for us? I have an idea.

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
Can someone in Placer close to the Sheriff's Office who doesn't mind rolling up their sleeves do some legwork for us? I have an idea.
I know we just spoke recently, but is this idea something new since then? I am about 25-30 minutes from the SO... not too bad of a drive. Let me know what your thinking. If you need someone they haven't had previous dealings with, I'll see if I can dig anyone up.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:58 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchbaby View Post
I know we just spoke recently, but is this idea something new since then? I am about 25-30 minutes from the SO... not too bad of a drive. Let me know what your thinking. If you need someone they haven't had previous dealings with, I'll see if I can dig anyone up.
Probably best someone else.

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
Probably best someone else.
If nobody turns up in the next few weeks, send me a PM what you have in mind and I'll see if I can drudge up a volunteer.
Old 12-11-2010, 4:18 PM

I'm 20 minutes out from the SO I can do something early am Monday morning however I'll be occupied the rest of the week. I need to get a copy of my CCW application due to the anticipated denial after last weeks conversation. What do you think Wildhawker, bad move me going up there?

Old 12-11-2010, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatrogue View Post
I'm 20 minutes out from the SO I can do something early am Monday morning however I'll be occupied the rest of the week. I need to get a copy of my CCW application due to the anticipated denial after last weeks conversation. What do you think Wildhawker, bad move me going up there?
Unless Wildhawker wants you to go... don't even bother running up to the office. Jessica will fax it to you if you ask. She's very cool like that.
Old 12-11-2010, 4:26 PM

hummm... I might just go up there to save Jessica the trouble of using the fax...

Old 12-11-2010, 4:28 PM

She is married you know..... SO BAD!
Old 12-11-2010, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatrogue View Post
Why are you anticipating a denial?
Old 12-12-2010, 6:28 PM

Check out my post on page 2. Got a call that seemingly was prepping me for denial.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:00 PM

I know someone who got the same call, and then got their permit a week later. Like I said before - That call is a good thing. If they were planning on denying you, why would they call you to? To soften the blow? lol

Why not just send the denial letter and not waste their time?
Old 12-13-2010, 8:18 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchbaby View Post
First things first, you may have only one point on your record, but points and citations issued, regardless of how they were resolved (dismissal, traffic school, etc...) are not the same in the eyes of the SO. They will ding you for all issued citations, even if you have a low "points" count.

As for quoting stats... I think you'll just make for a boring letter that will be like trying to show your smarter than they are for the peeps in Placer. It would however help to say that your work takes you into places with increasing crime due to losses in police presence because of budget cuts... keep it simple, but tell the same story.
Let me clarify my good cause a bit. My truck is non-op and has been for over a year or so. I get around mostly by walking or riding a bike(stay close to home these days). I live very close to downtown Roseville(the bars), and there have been about 40 assaults/burglaries/robberies(some with weapons) in the last 3 months - within a mile of my home. To elaborate on that I am unable to open carry because there is a school within a few thousand feet of my home in virtually every direction.

I also spend a lot of time outdoors camping: Tahoe National Forrest, Yosemite, Lassen, etc.
Old 12-13-2010, 9:19 AM

The more specific you are with good cause, the more the burden of proof is on you.

Good cause in Placer county isn't that hard to show. Keep it short and succinct, and think about how you'll explain it when asked. The less you put down, the less you will have to explain in the interview.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Let me clarify my good cause a bit. My truck is non-op and has been for over a year or so. I get around mostly by walking or riding a bike(stay close to home these days). I live very close to downtown Roseville(the bars), and there have been about 40 assaults/burglaries/robberies(some with weapons) in the last 3 months - within a mile of my home. To elaborate on that I am unable to open carry because there is a school within a few thousand feet of my home in virtually every direction.

I also spend a lot of time outdoors camping: Tahoe National Forrest, Yosemite, Lassen, etc.
What Anti-Hero said... but your on the right track.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-Hero View Post
I know someone who got the same call, and then got their permit a week later. Like I said before - That call is a good thing. If they were planning on denying you, why would they call you to? To soften the blow? lol

Why not just send the denial letter and not waste their time?
Why not just do the review and send a permit or a denial without adding anxiety to the mix?
Old 12-13-2010, 8:21 PM

We have been pretty clear here that factory installed lasers are cool with Placer... but I just got a message from someone that might suggest that Placer is changing their feeling about laser sights. If anyone has a firm bit of info about this, please pipe up... in the meantime I will see what I can do to confirm this before I cite my source.

If this is correct, then AWESOME!!!
Old 12-14-2010, 7:48 AM
Calguns Addict

I have the S&W BodyGuard 38(built in insight laser) and was planning on licensing that as well as my new 1911. But I need some more time at the range first. I've had teh 38 for about a month longer than the 1911, and my first day out with it I was more accurate than with the snubby. Of course the reviews say this 1911 is one of the most accurate out of the box(although my back sights were a tad off). Anywho, keep us posted and thanks for the update.
Old 12-14-2010, 9:03 AM

From my understanding -NO- lasers are allowed.
Old 12-14-2010, 9:22 AM

It's official, I just spoke to Jessica.... after factory lasers are allowed as of a couple weeks ago. The website is being changed soon to reflect this.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:03 AM
Calguns Addict

lasers and lights(or just lasers)? one could make an assumption, but I'd rather not.....
Old 12-14-2010, 10:09 AM

Hmmm... should have asked but didn't. I guess it's your turn to call Jessica... hehe!

530-889-7812
Old 12-14-2010, 10:49 AM
Calguns Addict

Old 12-14-2010, 11:37 AM
Calguns Addict

lol.....I just talked to her and she was a unsure about it(both the light and laser). She said from the factory is fine(like my bodyguard 38), but that I would have to personally ask Carl(Karl?) during the interview about after market accessories. I'm not too worried about it as I don't plan to carry a tac light that much at all. SHe did referenece the current website's info, and noted nothing about changing it too allow after market lasers, etc.

She also said a new change is that you must have completed your class before filing paperwork. Bring in proof of res, certificate, and other paperwork when you file your request.

...so mixed results.

Last edited by Coded-Dude; 12-14-2010 at 11:40 AM..
Old 12-14-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
lol.....I just talked to her and she was a unsure about it(both the light and laser). She said from the factory is fine(like my bodyguard 38), but that I would have to personally ask Carl(Karl?) during the interview about after market accessories. I'm not too worried about it as I don't plan to carry a tac light that much at all. SHe did referenece the current website's info, and noted nothing about changing it too allow after market lasers, etc.

She also said a new change is that you must have completed your class before filing paperwork. Bring in proof of res, certificate, and other paperwork when you file your request.

...so mixed results.
OK, I am officially confused.... I got an email from a "source" and then spoke to her and got the answer about being able to add a laser. Now you ask and she changes the details. This is getting to be a little strange.

Are they perhaps only considering such changes? Grey, do you know what gives?
Old 12-14-2010, 11:58 AM
Calguns Addict

me too.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Let's give the folks at Placer County some breathing room for the moment to figure out what they need to figure out. Not everything needs to be resolved with a compliance demand letter from CGF.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Peterson View Post
Let's give the folks at Placer County some breathing room for the moment to figure out what they need to figure out. Not everything needs to be resolved with a compliance demand letter from CGF.
Agreed ^^^
Old 12-14-2010, 1:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Question: What is entailed in the Safe Firearms Handling Course that one is required to pass before receiving a permit?

Handling only
Shooting Proficiency and Handling
etc.
Old 12-14-2010, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Question: What is entailed in the Safe Firearms Handling Course that one is required to pass before receiving a permit?

Handling only
Shooting Proficiency and Handling
etc.
8 hour NRA basic firearm course
Old 12-15-2010, 5:30 PM

When your ready to take the NRA basic firearm course give Ron Etchels a call. He is great and has a lot of great knowledge about both the legality of carry and how to properly handle a gun and increase your shot performance.
Old 12-15-2010, 6:35 PM

Ron's class was good, but every time I call to try and get a date for a refresher, he always seems to be out of town.
Old 12-15-2010, 7:07 PM

Try giving him a buzz now. From what i understand he is now working on his courses full time. Everytime I have called in regards to my ccw and training he has either picked up right away or returned my call within 30 min.