Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 02-24-2012, 7:47 AM
Calguns Addict

Applicants 'were' going through, Voice Stress Analysis, not sure if thats across the board any longer, might have changed to Polygraph
PM about Front Sight Lifetime Memberships or Training Certificates
Old 02-24-2012, 8:03 AM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lives_In_Fresno View Post
I have heard that some (all?) Monterey applicants are subjected to a lie detector test and are asked questions potentially going back 20+ years...

Is this true?
As Tripper noted, VSA was being used for sure, don't have any accounts of actual polygraph on top of that, but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened.
And yes, a very extensive interview during which the applicant is asked detailed questions regarding their history and background, including whether they have ever committed (not arrested or convicted, just "have you ever.... ?") numerous crimes, many of which should have no bearing on eligibility for an LTC. Applicants are asked if they have ever tried just about every illicit drug there is, ever hired a prostitute, etc., in addition to questions about legal activities ("ever sold a gun?") that for some reason MCSO thinks are relevant.
The VSA is one of their ways of evaluating whether you answered all those probing questions truthfully or not.

Thanks for the article, Brandon!
NRA Life Member - CRPA Life & Board Member - SAF Life Member - Monterey County Carry Initiative Sponsor
Statements posted here are the sole opinions of the author and not those
of CGN, CGF, CRPA, or any other institution or agency unless otherwise noted.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:53 AM
Calguns Addict

The prostitute question would be tricky, since technically, I've paid for sex before... Haven't we all, in one way or another?
Old 02-24-2012, 1:28 PM

Default The paper published all the names of permit holders in the county

I guess they will start publishing rape victims' names next as one poster said.
I know that Calguns said some time ago that "Monterey County has heard from us". Whatever they "heard" seems to have achieved nothing. Maybe it is time to take them to task and force a rational change.
Old 02-24-2012, 1:51 PM

Default Please post your thoughts on the Herald Website

http://www.montereyherald.com/local/...-gets-tighter#

Irresponsible journalism at its loweest form....
Old 02-24-2012, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrMike View Post
The prostitute question would be tricky, since technically, I've paid for sex before... Haven't we all, in one way or another?
I don't think there is much fuzz on the question though...Most of us have taken a gal out and hoped for extra entertainment later, but that is much different (thankfully) than hiring a hooker.
Old 02-25-2012, 7:27 AM
We are the gun lobby
CGN Contributor

Are those folks names of permits in the county at the bottom of the article? So for all the efforts for Good Cause statements being redacted am I ultimately going to be subject to having my name posted online for LTC when the entire point is for it to be concealed. As extensive as that testing is for Monterey County and with the public posting of names, they might as well make the permit loaded open carry and give us a cracker jack box badge complete with target that says shoot me in the back.
Old 02-27-2012, 8:07 AM

at what point in the process is the truth verification exam administered?
Old 02-27-2012, 8:21 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badduggy View Post
at what point in the process is the truth verification exam administered?
During your first interview with the Investigator.

XL-650 to feed the .45ACP's Les Baer, SA TRP Full Rail Operator, Ruger SR 1911, Ruger Nightwatchman and a custom built Colt M1911. 9MM SA Range Officer and a Ruger P-85
IDPA A41750 Safety Officer
NRA Certified RSO
"Stay out of the deep end of the pool; correct the problem with your credit card, not your dremel!"
Old 03-11-2012, 3:28 PM

I did my interview in January. I didn't have any sort of truth verification exam.
Old 03-11-2012, 3:52 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmGuy View Post
I did my interview in January. I didn't have any sort of truth verification exam.
Thanks for the confirmation, PG...
This means either:
a) MCSO is no longer using VSA during the interview process
or
b) they are using it selectively and did not subject you to VSA for their own reasons

Given your background and profession, and what we know about MCSO policy, I'm inclined to think it's the latter.
Either way this is good information that we can use moving forward.
Please keep us posted on your application status if you would (PM is fine if you'd rather not post in the forum).

Every applicant "story" is helpful; if there are any others reading this that have applied for an LTC in Monterey County, please post or PM me to share your experience, it will help the Sunshine Initiative effort greatly. All information shared will be kept confidential.
NRA Life Member - CRPA Life & Board Member - SAF Life Member - Monterey County Carry Initiative Sponsor
Old 03-11-2012, 4:20 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Can Monterey residents/C3 arrange to push on this? I am very interested in knowing which one it is, very soon.

-Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by goober View Post
Thanks for the confirmation, PG...
This means either:
a) MCSO is no longer using VSA during the interview process
or
b) they are using it selectively and did not subject you to VSA for their own reasons

Given your background and profession, and what we know about MCSO policy, I'm inclined to think it's the latter.
Either way this is good information that we can use moving forward.
Please keep us posted on your application status if you would (PM is fine if you'd rather not post in the forum).

Every applicant "story" is helpful; if there are any others reading this that have applied for an LTC in Monterey County, please post or PM me to share your experience, it will help the Sunshine Initiative effort greatly. All information shared will be kept confidential.

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 03-11-2012, 4:25 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
Can Monterey residents/C3 arrange to push on this? I am very interested in knowing which one it is, very soon.

-Brandon
on it.

you heard him, folks-
if you are a Monterey Co. resident and have applied for LTC though MCSO, please PM me and indicate when your interview took place as well as whether you were subjected to a VSA.
if you've already contacted me, no need to do so again unless you did not address these questions in your previous account.

Last edited by goober; 03-11-2012 at 4:32 PM..
Old 03-12-2012, 1:17 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

i have a second report of an MCSO LTC applicant that was not subjected to VSA in a recent interview.
anyone else care to share?

specifically, what would be most helpful to know is if anyone has applied recently (this year) and DID have to do a VSA.
but all accounts are of interest.

Last edited by goober; 03-12-2012 at 1:27 PM..
Old 04-04-2012, 7:25 PM
Calguns Addict

UPDATE latest batch of approved good cause statements can be found HERE. (Added 4/4/12)
Old 06-14-2012, 12:29 PM

Thumbs up

I’ve got it in hand, and I wanted to share my positive experience. I received a call last Friday from the Monterey County Sheriff's office investigator saying that I’d been approved. I had finals all this week so I just picked it up yesterday; I was in the midst of studying up until now so I didn't take them time to drive out there to pick it up.

Before I start in on the details of it all, I want to say that everyone involved from the Monterey Sheriff's Office was very friendly and very professional. At every step it seemed like they wanted to help me get through the process, not like they wanted to prevent me from it. I was very pleasantly surprised.

My first step was calling the Sheriff's Officer, the receptionist (or whoever answered the phone) was not only knowledgeable about the process but directed me to the info on the Sheriff's website.

After submitting my application, I got a call from an investigator at the Sheriff's office asking for a home visit to meet my neighbors and verify my residence. I told him that I would be out of town all week so he offered to call me back the following week, he did. He offered to come by when I was done with work that day, he did.

He was prompt and friendly, asked some basic questions about interactions with my neighbors and how long I lived here. He also said that a potential sticking point could be if my weapons are not registered to me. I told him that I bought them both new, in California, and that they are registered to me. He seemed to legitimately telling me so we could prevent a snafu in the future. He asked if I had done my course at Markely's (for the CCW course) or the psych assessment. I told him that those are scheduled for later that month.

We chatted about some off topic political items, and then he left to meet my neighbors. He mentioned before he left that he didn't see any reason why I wouldn't approved. He was very friendly.

Next step was the psychological assessment. I had my psychological assessment with the Monterey County Law Enforcement Physiological Services. It consisted of four separate written exams and a sit down with a psychologist to discuss my answers from the exams. There were three other people there for the assessment, and the sit down with the psychologist was on a first come first serve basis based on who completed the written battery first. I was the first one finished, the others were asked to come back in increments of 30 minutes. We all took the test in the same room.

It took me about 4.5 hours from the time I walked in until I walked out. The actual written portion took me 3 hours and 45 minutes. There were four parts to it. One seemed to try to gauge personality (aggressive, passive, leader, etc.), another was personal life (how much do I drink, who raised me, do I have siblings, was I the youngest, old, middle child, etc.) and work history (how many jobs, have I received adverse evaluations, been late, been drunk at work, etc.), a third was more of a personality disorder exam (do I hear voices, is someone taking my thoughts, can others hear my thoughts, etc.), and the fourth was what I would deem as an intelligence test. The intelligence test was brought into us after about 2.5 hours. It consisted of 50 questions of increasing difficulty and was a timed 12 minute exam. I think that I was the most complete when they were collected with 33 correct answers. None of the questions were difficult, but I would have needed another six minutes to finish them all.

Once again, everyone was very friendly (psychologist, other test takers, and front desk clerk). Although I didn't ask the other test takers I think that they were all police officers based on the agency affiliation that they wrote on the sign in log.

After the psychological assessment I had my final step of the CCW process, the CCW course (they still call it a CCW here, not an LTC). Although, the actual piece of paper says License to Carry on it.

I showed up about 7:40 for my 8 AM course and was the first one there. The course is only offered at Markleys (indoor range and gun shop, 14 Blanca Lane, Watsonville, CA 95076), and seems to only be offered every few months; I've been waiting since February. It's in Santa Cruz county, but is only about 30 minutes from me, as opposed to the psychological assessment that was 1.5 hours.

Some of the attendees were there for an initial CCW, one was there for a renewal, and it seemed like most were there for basic hand gun safety. It was about two hours of instruction. Topics covered were: basic safety, composition of bullet cartridges, types of bullets, basic of pistols and revolvers, when we can and can't fire a weapon at someone, and where we can and cannot carry (with or without CCW).

After the classroom instruction we "qualified" with our weapons. I didn't know what the requirement was at the time, I was told he'd let me know after my course of fire. We fired at a basic target similar to the picture below and had to hit within the 8 point section. We were told that any rounds outside of the 8 were deductions.

I had two weapons, M&P 40c and an M&P 340ct, both have CT grips. The course of fire was 3 meters, 5 meters, 7 meters, and 10 meters. It was 6 rounds each with my pistol and 5 rounds each with my revolver.

I fired first with my M&P 40c, using my laser. I had a fairly tight grouping at the 10 o'clock position of the bullseye (laser is slightly off). I dropped 3 low shots at the 7 meter range because I was going too fast and dipped. My 10 meter shots were grouped again. After my completed course of fire he told me that I'd have to fire again, this time without my laser.

I switched to my 340ct, and fired the course of fire without the laser. Most of them were grouped but I had a few outliers, but still all within the 8 range.

I went back to my M&P 40c and through the course of fire again. I shot all 24 within the range, and had a 25th round at the 7 o'clock position in the 6 point range. My rounds weren't so tight that they couldn't be counted, and I had two remaining rounds from my box of 50. There were others firing at the same time (one of the staffers too), so I'm not sure where that stray 25th round came from (but I'm fairly confident that low round was not from my weapon).

He told me that I passed, we completed the paperwork and I paid. I was told that my letter of course completion will be mailed the next day. I received it about 9 days later, and I scanned and e-mailed it to the investigator. He let me know that he’d received it, and contacted all of my references the following day. I received the call about my approval about one month after finishing everything.

Just to reiterate, it was a very positive experience overall. I did start the process in January, but the delay was not due to the Sheriff's Department themselves, it was just getting through all of the steps.

Edit: My good cause statement word for word is: Personal protection and protection of my family. I am a Naval Officer with several years of firearms training including combat experience and my wife is an Emergency Medicine physician. With the increase of violent crime I am increasingly more aware and cautious of my surroundings and I want to do everything that I can to protect my family and myself.

Last edited by ParadigmGuy; 06-14-2012 at 12:32 PM..
Old 06-14-2012, 1:08 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Congrats, PG, and thank you for posting your experience!!!
I'm very happy that you made it through the process and had such good things to say about it; most of the accounts that have been shared have been markedly different.
Perhaps the way MCSO is handling things has improved, which is what we can all hope for. The alternative explanation is that you received special treatment due to your occupational status.
But whatever the case, good for you, and thanks once again for sharing!

ETA- Most applicants went through an extensive interview session that may have included VSA, between submitting their application/doing LiveScan, and the home/co-worker/employer interviews (if they get that far). Presumably this is so their LiveScan can clear before MCSO bothers with the interview (which makes sense). It sounds from the above and your previous posts like you did the interview (1-2 hr +) the same day as your LiveScan, but did not undergo VSA. Can you confirm this?

Last edited by goober; 06-14-2012 at 1:23 PM..
Old 06-14-2012, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goober View Post
Congrats, PG, and thank you for posting your experience!!!
I'm very happy that you made it through the process and had such good things to say about it; most of the accounts that have been shared have been markedly different.
Perhaps the way MCSO is handling things has improved, which is what we can all hope for. The alternative explanation is that you received special treatment due to your occupational status.
But whatever the case, good for you, and thanks once again for sharing!

ETA- Most applicants went through an extensive interview session that may have included VSA, between submitting their application/doing LiveScan, and the home/co-worker/employer interviews (if they get that far). Presumably this is so their LiveScan can clear before MCSO bothers with the interview (which makes sense). It sounds from the above and your previous posts like you did the interview (1-2 hr +) the same day as your LiveScan, but did not undergo VSA. Can you confirm this?
I mentioned it earlier, but forgot to comment on it in the longer post. The initial interview wasn't anything too intense, but was thorough. The was no VSA at any point for me, nor is there any mention of it on anything I've found other than here. The interview was the same day as my fingerprinting.

Maybe they only do a VSA if they suspect someone isn't telling the truth (as you alluded to earlier). I was open and upfront about everything, even telling them about an arrest when I was 15/16 that they likely wouldn't have found on their own. It could also be my background, or how I present myself.

I carry myself well, have 17+ years in the military, and my brother-in-law, whom I've known for 12ish years, is a San Diego sheriff's deputy. Although none of that should come into play much, it does lend to 'good moral character' which is one of their requirements.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:26 AM

I hope I'm OK bumping up this thread, it made me check the little box. Was unsure where to post this otherwise.

Interesting development for current Monterey County CCW holders: http://www.montereycountyweekly.com/...ling-monsters/

I'm not 100% sure how I feel about this yet, but I encourage you to read THE ENTIRE ARTICLE before replying.

On one hand, we all know the CCW list is public record. The only thing that stops me from obtaining this list is the effort required to do it. I currently don't care to do so thus I do not have the list.

On the other hand, I don't feel its right to publish the names AND home address of private citizens. With just a name, you have a certain, if only minor amount of anonymity, an address removes any doubt and give you a physical location to find someone. If someone wants to go look it up, good for them. Make them put in the effort and figure out how to do it. I find it irresponsible to spoon feed my personal information to people in such a manner. Granted I'm not on that list, but you get the idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Duan, Monterrey County Weekly
The Weekly has published the list of Monterey County citizens who hold concealed-carry permits – people who are not law enforcement but who have the right to carry a weapon. In the past, it’s been a highly politicized process, with former sheriffs giving permits to well-placed friends. We’re going to publish that list again, and not just because we can, but because it’s worth a deeper look at what should be the difficult process of obtaining that permit. Has the process gotten more difficult under Sheriff Scott Miller? Do concealed-carry holders really feel more safe? And about those response times… 

Call 2013 our own Year of the Gun, because we’re going to be talking about it a lot.
I have Mary Duan's home address, confirmed this morning. I acquired it after about 15 minutes of research through publicly available sources after I read the article. I wonder how Mary and The Weekly would feel about me wanting to include that information in their newspaper via a paid advertisement in the same issue they plan to post the CCW license holders list? I may send her an email and ask.

"So, you give weapons to children?"
"No Ma'am. I provide safety and marksmanship instruction and a basic shooting experience for youth in a controlled range environment"
"Oh... I thought you just gave them guns"

OMGWTFn00b!? --> The Calguns ACRONYM Thread! <--
Old 01-10-2013, 11:34 AM
Calguns Addict

i really dont see why this hasnt been made illegal, I know its public info, but it should not be able to get personally identifiable information, I have rights too, and this seems to trample on them
Old 01-10-2013, 11:53 PM

I have no problem with my neighbors or anyone else knowing that I have a LTC. IMO, it will only make a person less likely to break into my home.

It seems that the Salinas Chief of Police may not know what he's talking about in regards to violent crime, which likely why the Salinas crime rate is significantly higher than surrounding cities.
Old 01-11-2013, 8:57 AM
Calguns Addict

Less likely 'while you are home' of course
Not all my neighbors are upstanding citizens, a couple are documented gang bangers, a couple are convicted thieves
I really don't need them being spoon fed information on me
Old 02-06-2013, 9:46 PM

Hello all,
I am interested in possibly "considering" starting the CCW process. I currently live in the city of Monterey. I have been told by an acquaintance who is a current PG police officer that the Monterey chief of police is not too CCW friendly for normal joes. I have no idea how much this would affect my chances of successfully obtaining a CCW. I have just started work in PG, so I figured that I would give it some time so that my employer could give an accurate depiction of my good/moral/ethical character. In the meantime I was wondering if it was even worth the attempt. If I am correct, I would be applying for my CCW via the Monterey police department instead of the Monterey county sheriff office? I am not sure if it is appropriate to post my good cause statement that I have in mind here openly, however if anyone more knowledgeable would like to help me out via PM and tell me what you think regarding my good cause statement, then I would appreciate it immensely. Thank you.

Last edited by insin; 02-06-2013 at 9:49 PM..
Old 02-06-2013, 9:50 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

welcome, insin.
you need to apply to the MCSO, not the MPD.
good luck.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insin View Post
Hello all,
I am interested in possibly "considering" starting the CCW process. I currently live in the city of Monterey. I have been told by an acquaintance who is a current PG police officer that the Monterey chief of police is not too CCW friendly for normal joes. I have no idea how much this would affect my chances of successfully obtaining a CCW. I have just started work in PG, so I figured that I would give it some time so that my employer could give an accurate depiction of my good/moral/ethical character. In the meantime I was wondering if it was even worth the attempt. If I am correct, I would be applying for my CCW via the Monterey police department instead of the Monterey county sheriff office? I am not sure if it is appropriate to post my good cause statement that I have in mind here openly, however if anyone more knowledgeable would like to help me out via PM and tell me what you think regarding my good cause statement, then I would appreciate it immensely. Thank you.
I live in Monterey and have a LTC. I explained the process earlier in this thread.

The Monterey County Sheriff says that self defense is good cause and that's what I had on my application.
Old 02-09-2013, 1:48 PM

Thank you. I will look to the mcso's website as well as contact them some time early this week. We'll see how it goes.
Old 02-10-2013, 4:38 PM

Does anyone have any idea if a previous misdemeanor DUI (Jan 2010) and then a subsequent enrollment into an alcohol recovery center would disqualify one from eligibility? Completing the alcohol recovery program and continuing to attend regular AA meetings is something that I did/do voluntarily. I had a problem and asked for help. Sober 3 years now. I would hate to have this issue be the reason I didn't qualify, but I would hate it more to put my name out there and get denied for a reason I would never have qualified for in the first place and have the "denial of application" stigma forever attached to any subsequent applications.

It doesn't seem to be specifically listed in the prohibited items, however the AA and recovery center portion of my history worries me.

What do you think?

Last edited by insin; 02-10-2013 at 4:46 PM..
Old 02-10-2013, 5:03 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

You never know unless you try, but I wouldn't be surprised if they deny you based on the DUI.
If you do decide to apply, be completely honest about the entire history.
Old 02-10-2013, 5:29 PM

Perhaps it best to wait until the 5 year mark (post DUI) since I am still on probation for the misdemenor DUI. I can wait 2 more years. This way I can provide a more favorable answer to questions 7 and 8 (section 2) to where at least my paper application won't be rubber stamped as denied.
Old 02-12-2013, 7:22 AM

The first link in the first post is 404d.

"Friends don't let friends play bubba gunsmith."
SlickmisterN
Old 02-12-2013, 7:46 AM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnitravis View Post
The first link in the first post is 404d.
UPDATED 2nd link works for me.
Old 08-09-2013, 8:23 PM

Hi All,

Any updates as to the LTC process in Monterey? Are more people being approved? Any recent stories?

Sounds like personal defense of self and family is the best statement for good cause.

Any insights?

I'm am looking in to buying 2 subcompacts soon then...applying...

e
Old 10-07-2013, 8:43 AM

Just moved from San benito county to monterey county. I know my ccw doesn't transfer but will coming from another county with a ccw speed things up
Old 11-16-2013, 8:41 AM
Banned

I was arrested in 89 (20 y.o.). I plead to misd resisting and misd obstruction. In 95 I plead guilty to misd D.U.I. Kept my nose clean and been a model citizen since then.
I had no hopes of getting approved but someone told me you won't know until you try. My good cause was self defense, period.
While I was initially denied after going thru Interview, psych exam, home visit, Markley's class. I appealed with no expectations. Met with the sheriff for
about 15 minutes. Felt like talking to an acquaintance. The appeal ended with him saying he wanted to meet me and get a feel for me.
2 weeks later his office called and said he approved m ccw.
The reason I'm telling my story is to let others know that the only way to get approved is to apply. Be 100% honest (I was). Don't go in with prepared statements. Your best bet is go in and be yourself, unless yourself has a bad personality.
Old 11-16-2013, 9:15 AM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Very interesting, thank you Yaki for sharing your story. Must say I am happily surprised to hear you got approval finally. It is not right that you had to go through so much to get your LTC, but I'm glad your perseverance paid off.
Thanks once again for posting your experience, this kind of information is very helpful.
Old 11-16-2013, 9:26 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaki View Post
Your best bet is go in and be yourself, unless yourself has a bad personality.
dang, I'm in trouble........

but seriously, thanks for sharing your experience.
Sheriff does have that acquaintance type attitude.
Old 04-07-2014, 7:46 AM

Any thoughts on the 2014 Monterey County sheriff's race? It's Miller vs. Steve Bernal. Miller will issue for self defense, though the "good character" background check is stiff.

Bernal's position on CCW is here:

http://www.bernalforsheriff.com/ConcealedCarry.asp

"This is why my evaluation standards will follow the process that previous Sheriffs have used"

This is ambiguous enough that it leaves him room to return to the old practice of issuing only to cronies. The more so because he's endorsed by Sonne, a previous sheriff who was no-issue.

Does anyone have better information on his CCW position?
Old 04-07-2014, 9:17 AM
Calguns Addict

I asked the question on his Facebook site and was promptly removed from his page

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-10-2014, 11:06 PM

I was wondering, I'm pretty much just waiting for an academy date to become a correctional officer. Went through the background check and psychological written and face to face interview. Can I apply for a ccw and skip through all the stuff I've already done? Just wondering because I wouldn't mind being able carry to before I start the academy. Not sure who I should contact in regards to this.
Old 04-11-2014, 6:47 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Monterey -- Good Cause Statements available UPDATE 4/4/12

Nope, it's all separate, you'll need to do it all again
Although amazingly, it's the same process

Edit: they 'may' simply refer to the other as the bg 'should be more in depth

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by Tripper; 04-11-2014 at 1:02 PM..