Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-02-2018, 7:39 PM
ECG_88's Avatar
ECG_88 ECG_88 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 548
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default San Diego Gun Requirements?

Could only find on the website that they only allow 3 guns on the license.

Are there any other restrictions on the guns? Allowed modifications? Off Roster ok? Caliber restrictions?
__________________
Emotional appeal is a marketing tactic and not a foundation for effective argument.

Nulla Fatere, Omnia Nega, Accusatorem Accusa
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-03-2018, 10:56 AM
marcusrn's Avatar
marcusrn marcusrn is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Oceanside
Posts: 636
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default Restrictions

I've heard off roster OK in past. You can have modified sights and grips. I have had a 1911 with crisp 4.25# trigger adjusted to > 5# in past. Don't know about any caliber restrictions in past but I've never carried south of .38/9mm. I've carried guns registered to my wife with no problem. I'm 66 yr old and have carried legal unregistered handgun 10 yrs ago but the fact of carrying it on LTC effectively registers the gun. Remember in Ca one can own unregistered handguns procured pre 1991.
__________________

Last edited by marcusrn; 04-03-2018 at 5:35 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-03-2018, 12:26 PM
asymmetricalwarfar3's Avatar
asymmetricalwarfar3 asymmetricalwarfar3 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: west coast
Posts: 242
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECG_88 View Post
Could only find on the website that they only allow 3 guns on the license.

Are there any other restrictions on the guns? Allowed modifications? Off Roster ok? Caliber restrictions?
Did you just get your license?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTF/PTM View Post
Stay black, don't fake the funk. Peace out, yall.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-03-2018, 12:40 PM
ECG_88's Avatar
ECG_88 ECG_88 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 548
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asymmetricalwarfar3 View Post
Did you just get your license?
Nope.

I am thinking about applying, but I only have a couple off roster and 80% built pistols.

Obviously the 80%s wont fly for the permit. The off roster might be ok, but I need to know if I should be shopping for a new pistol for CC. I don't want to buy something I cant put on the permit.

I think it would help a lot of people looking to get a San Diego CCW if they knew what guns and accessories are allowed for the permit.
__________________
Emotional appeal is a marketing tactic and not a foundation for effective argument.

Nulla Fatere, Omnia Nega, Accusatorem Accusa
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-03-2018, 4:00 PM
GlockUnCut's Avatar
GlockUnCut GlockUnCut is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: █████████
Posts: 68
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECG_88 View Post
Could only find on the website that they only allow 3 guns on the license.

Are there any other restrictions on the guns? Allowed modifications? Off Roster ok? Caliber restrictions?
If your asking these kinds of questions, maybe you shouldn't apply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECG_88 View Post
Nope.

I am thinking about applying, but I only have a couple off roster and 80% built pistols.

Obviously the 80%s wont fly for the permit. The off roster might be ok, but I need to know if I should be shopping for a new pistol for CC. I don't want to buy something I cant put on the permit.

I think it would help a lot of people looking to get a San Diego CCW if they knew what guns and accessories are allowed for the permit.
Again, asking off roster questions, really? If the firearm was legally purchased in California (private party or otherwise) then it's ok.

Stick to normal, regular calibers and you won't have an issue. If there is a caliber your thinking about (that's outside the norm), then it's probably not okay. Don't be stupid about it.

But if you have to ask here, it's probably a bad idea.

Why not call them and ask?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-03-2018, 5:13 PM
ECG_88's Avatar
ECG_88 ECG_88 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 548
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockUnCut View Post
If your asking these kinds of questions, maybe you shouldn't apply.



Again, asking off roster questions, really? If the firearm was legally purchased in California (private party or otherwise) then it's ok.

Stick to normal, regular calibers and you won't have an issue. If there is a caliber your thinking about (that's outside the norm), then it's probably not okay. Don't be stupid about it.

But if you have to ask here, it's probably a bad idea.

Why not call them and ask?
I have heard that some counties do not allow off roster guns on the permit.

Yes I would stick to normal calibers, but thought I would ask to see if anyone knew for sure. I was mostly just curious and I would rather have all the rules laid out ahead of time.

I will probably call them but thought why not ask the community so that others might learn as well.



I think you are very rude to say that someone asking questions about part of the process should not apply?

What if I was a 22 year old college girl rape survivor with no gun experience and wanted to get a gun and was doing research? Should that person not apply because they are asking questions?

All I did was ask some questions. Marcusrn answered very helpfully, and gave a real answer. Be more like Marcusrn.

You sir can go **** yourself with that elitist attitude.
__________________
Emotional appeal is a marketing tactic and not a foundation for effective argument.

Nulla Fatere, Omnia Nega, Accusatorem Accusa
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-03-2018, 5:43 PM
baggss's Avatar
baggss baggss is offline
Some Yahoo on the Web
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ventura County, near where the big fire started...
Posts: 2,970
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECG_88 View Post
I think you are very rude to say that someone asking questions about part of the process should not apply?

What if I was a 22 year old college girl rape survivor with no gun experience and wanted to get a gun and was doing research? Should that person not apply because they are asking questions?

All I did was ask some questions. Marcusrn answered very helpfully, and gave a real answer. Be more like Marcusrn.

You sir can go **** yourself with that elitist attitude.

Seriously? You just compared your asking questions that only the Issuing agency can accurately answer with being a rape victim researching firearms?

Drama Queen much?
__________________
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love. -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015


Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-03-2018, 5:50 PM
ECG_88's Avatar
ECG_88 ECG_88 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 548
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Seriously? You just compared your asking questions that only the Issuing agency can accurately answer with being a rape victim researching firearms?

Drama Queen much?
My point was, he said I shouldn't apply because I asked some questions. He doesn't know why I am asking questions, he just attacks.

If we shouldn't ask questions about the permit process then why have a county specific CCW subforum at all?

Close the subforum, just ask the Issuing agency all questions directly.

Geez I expect this type of behavior in the Off topic but not here..

I would also add: its not being a drama queen, it is standing up to tough guy internet bullies who think they can sh_itpost on legitimate questions on a discussion forum.
__________________
Emotional appeal is a marketing tactic and not a foundation for effective argument.

Nulla Fatere, Omnia Nega, Accusatorem Accusa

Last edited by ECG_88; 04-03-2018 at 5:54 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-03-2018, 5:56 PM
GlockUnCut's Avatar
GlockUnCut GlockUnCut is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: █████████
Posts: 68
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECG_88 View Post
What if I was a 22 year old college girl rape survivor with no gun experience and wanted to get a gun and was doing research? Should that person not apply because they are asking questions?
Yes, that person should not apply. Because being a rape victim is not a valid reason for a CCW good cause statement. Rape is not an eminent threat to your life. That person would be turned down on that basis alone.

But but I digress, from your original questions. In my opinion, anything other than standard calibers would be frowned upon. Why not call one of the CCW WEAPONS SAFETY TRAINING FACILITIES & INSTRUCTORS listed on the SDCSD website? They may be able to better answer your questions.

I'm just saying, if you have to ask these questions, you may not be ready for a CCW or have a valid good cause for one.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-03-2018, 6:28 PM
ECG_88's Avatar
ECG_88 ECG_88 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 548
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockUnCut View Post
Yes, that person should not apply. Because being a rape victim is not a valid reason for a CCW good cause statement. Rape is not an eminent threat to your life. That person would be turned down on that basis alone.

But but I digress, from your original questions. In my opinion, anything other than standard calibers would be frowned upon. Why not call one of the CCW WEAPONS SAFETY TRAINING FACILITIES & INSTRUCTORS listed on the SDCSD website? They may be able to better answer your questions.

I'm just saying, if you have to ask these questions, you may not be ready for a CCW or have a valid good cause for one.

So you are saying that if someone has no good cause, then they are not allowed to ask questions and research? WTF is wrong with you?

Also you state that someone should not apply if you think they will get denied. SDCGO actually encourages everyone to apply with all types of Good Cause statements just to see which ones get approved and which don't. So you can be quiet now.
__________________
Emotional appeal is a marketing tactic and not a foundation for effective argument.

Nulla Fatere, Omnia Nega, Accusatorem Accusa
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-03-2018, 6:43 PM
Devilmonkey89 Devilmonkey89 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: North County San Diego
Posts: 1,544
iTrader: 32 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockUnCut View Post
Yes, that person should not apply. Because being a rape victim is not a valid reason for a CCW good cause statement. Rape is not an eminent threat to your life. That person would be turned down on that basis alone.

But but I digress, from your original questions. In my opinion, anything other than standard calibers would be frowned upon. Why not call one of the CCW WEAPONS SAFETY TRAINING FACILITIES & INSTRUCTORS listed on the SDCSD website? They may be able to better answer your questions.

I'm just saying, if you have to ask these questions, you may not be ready for a CCW or have a valid good cause for one.
You sound like our sheriff with that statement in the bold. Self defense should be the only reason needed, seems like only in CA you need a "valid" good cause...
__________________
NRA Lifetime Member

Last edited by Devilmonkey89; 04-03-2018 at 6:45 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-03-2018, 6:44 PM
GlockUnCut's Avatar
GlockUnCut GlockUnCut is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: █████████
Posts: 68
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECG_88 View Post
So you are saying...
Claim down. We wouldn't want someone (easily upset) like you to have a gun now, would we?

Seriously, on the caliber question, stick to known calibers that law enforcement agencies utilize.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-03-2018, 6:45 PM
GlockUnCut's Avatar
GlockUnCut GlockUnCut is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: █████████
Posts: 68
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockUnCut View Post
Yes, that person should not apply. Because being a rape victim is not a valid reason for a CCW good cause statement. Rape is not an eminent threat to your life. That person would be turned down on that basis alone.

But but I digress, from your original questions. In my opinion, anything other than standard calibers would be frowned upon. Why not call one of the CCW WEAPONS SAFETY TRAINING FACILITIES & INSTRUCTORS listed on the SDCSD website? They may be able to better answer your questions.

I'm just saying, if you have to ask these questions, you may not be ready for a CCW or have a valid good cause for one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilmonkey89 View Post
You sound like our sheriff with that statement in the bold. Self defense should be the only reason needed, seems like only in CA you need a "valid" good reason...
Just to be clear, YOU are the one who put those words in bold. Not me.

Last edited by GlockUnCut; 04-03-2018 at 6:48 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-03-2018, 6:47 PM
Devilmonkey89 Devilmonkey89 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: North County San Diego
Posts: 1,544
iTrader: 32 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockUnCut View Post
Just to be clear, YOU are the one who put those words in bold. Not me.
I bolded YOUR statment, not mine.
__________________
NRA Lifetime Member
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-03-2018, 6:52 PM
GlockUnCut's Avatar
GlockUnCut GlockUnCut is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: █████████
Posts: 68
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilmonkey89 View Post
I bolded YOUR statment, not mine.
That's because you haven't said anything yet, worthy of being in bold text. You haven't contributed in any meaning full way to the OP's original questions.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-03-2018, 6:54 PM
ECG_88's Avatar
ECG_88 ECG_88 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 548
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockUnCut View Post
That's because you haven't said anything yet, worthy of being in bold text. You haven't contributed in any meaning full way to the OP's original questions.
Aint that the pot calling the kettle black. hahaa
__________________
Emotional appeal is a marketing tactic and not a foundation for effective argument.

Nulla Fatere, Omnia Nega, Accusatorem Accusa
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-03-2018, 7:07 PM
GlockUnCut's Avatar
GlockUnCut GlockUnCut is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: █████████
Posts: 68
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockUnCut View Post
...on the caliber question, stick to known calibers that law enforcement agencies utilize.
Just saying to the OP, be practical on the caliber.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-04-2018, 12:49 PM
MajorCaliber MajorCaliber is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 176
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

So back to relevant data... I was told by the clerk in the SDSO licensing division, that the SDSO does not have any standards or requirements regarding the weapons on the permit, that it is entirely up to the qualifying instructor regarding what they will approve. I must say that that seems like a quite odd and dysfunctional answer to me because I see no reason why each instructor should have his own personal list of what he considers qualified or not. However, assuming this is true, I would ask any instructors you are thinking of qualifying with what their standards are and discuss your specific firearms with them before paying for the class. It would be just awful to pay for a class only to have the instructor disqualify any or all of the weapons you intend to qualify with and carry.
__________________
I wish today's liberals could understand: You cannot be generous by giving away other peoples' money and you cannot demonstrate your virtue by your willingness to give up other peoples' rights.

The more time I spend on this forum, the more sense kcbrown makes.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-04-2018, 1:13 PM
shooperman's Avatar
shooperman shooperman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Escondildo
Posts: 1,668
iTrader: 15 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECG_88 View Post
Aint that the pot calling the kettle black. hahaa
__________________
"I'd cure the whole world with one primal scream, but no one would listen" - Davey Havoc


FS: Glock 30SF & Glock 41 ***PRICE DROP***
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1441144
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-04-2018, 1:17 PM
ECG_88's Avatar
ECG_88 ECG_88 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 548
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCaliber View Post
So back to relevant data... I was told by the clerk in the SDSO licensing division, that the SDSO does not have any standards or requirements regarding the weapons on the permit, that it is entirely up to the qualifying instructor regarding what they will approve. I must say that that seems like a quite odd and dysfunctional answer to me because I see no reason why each instructor should have his own personal list of what he considers qualified or not. However, assuming this is true, I would ask any instructors you are thinking of qualifying with what their standards are and discuss your specific firearms with them before paying for the class. It would be just awful to pay for a class only to have the instructor disqualify any or all of the weapons you intend to qualify with and carry.
Awesome answer. Thanks!
__________________
Emotional appeal is a marketing tactic and not a foundation for effective argument.

Nulla Fatere, Omnia Nega, Accusatorem Accusa
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-04-2018, 2:49 PM
MajorCaliber MajorCaliber is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 176
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECG_88 View Post
Awesome answer. Thanks!
You're welcome. It's an important question and one I have wondered about myself. It is absolutely clear that different counties have different policies on this issue.

To take things a step further, I have yet to find anyone who can point to anything in the law that gives the Sheriff the authority to deny any legal weapon on a permit for any reason other than the applicant's failure to qualify with it. The law I have read only says the weapons must be listed, and I realize that as a practical matter, we are at the mercy of the Sheriff and his actions are almost beyond review, but that is a different matter.

If you get any further info or clarification on this subject, please get back to us.
__________________
I wish today's liberals could understand: You cannot be generous by giving away other peoples' money and you cannot demonstrate your virtue by your willingness to give up other peoples' rights.

The more time I spend on this forum, the more sense kcbrown makes.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 6:23 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2018, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.