Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 04-02-2018, 7:39 PM

Default San Diego Gun Requirements?

Could only find on the website that they only allow 3 guns on the license.

Are there any other restrictions on the guns? Allowed modifications? Off Roster ok? Caliber restrictions?

Nulla Fatere, Omnia Nega, Accusatorem Accusa
Old 04-03-2018, 10:56 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Restrictions

I've heard off roster OK in past. You can have modified sights and grips. I have had a 1911 with crisp 4.25# trigger adjusted to > 5# in past. Don't know about any caliber restrictions in past but I've never carried south of .38/9mm. I've carried guns registered to my wife with no problem. I'm 66 yr old and have carried legal unregistered handgun 10 yrs ago but the fact of carrying it on LTC effectively registers the gun. Remember in Ca one can own unregistered handguns procured pre 1991.

Last edited by marcusrn; 04-03-2018 at 5:35 PM..
Old 04-03-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECG_88 View Post

Are there any other restrictions on the guns? Allowed modifications? Off Roster ok? Caliber restrictions?
Did you just get your license?
Old 04-03-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asymmetricalwarfar3 View Post
Did you just get your license?
Nope.

I am thinking about applying, but I only have a couple off roster and 80% built pistols.

Obviously the 80%s wont fly for the permit. The off roster might be ok, but I need to know if I should be shopping for a new pistol for CC. I don't want to buy something I cant put on the permit.

I think it would help a lot of people looking to get a San Diego CCW if they knew what guns and accessories are allowed for the permit.

Old 04-03-2018, 4:00 PM

Quote:

If your asking these kinds of questions, maybe you shouldn't apply.

Quote:
Nope.

I am thinking about applying, but I only have a couple off roster and 80% built pistols.

Obviously the 80%s wont fly for the permit. The off roster might be ok, but I need to know if I should be shopping for a new pistol for CC. I don't want to buy something I cant put on the permit.

I think it would help a lot of people looking to get a San Diego CCW if they knew what guns and accessories are allowed for the permit.
Again, asking off roster questions, really? If the firearm was legally purchased in California (private party or otherwise) then it's ok.

Stick to normal, regular calibers and you won't have an issue. If there is a caliber your thinking about (that's outside the norm), then it's probably not okay. Don't be stupid about it.

But if you have to ask here, it's probably a bad idea.

Why not call them and ask?
Old 04-03-2018, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockUnCut View Post
If your asking these kinds of questions, maybe you shouldn't apply.

Again, asking off roster questions, really? If the firearm was legally purchased in California (private party or otherwise) then it's ok.

Stick to normal, regular calibers and you won't have an issue. If there is a caliber your thinking about (that's outside the norm), then it's probably not okay. Don't be stupid about it.

But if you have to ask here, it's probably a bad idea.

Why not call them and ask?
I have heard that some counties do not allow off roster guns on the permit.

Yes I would stick to normal calibers, but thought I would ask to see if anyone knew for sure. I was mostly just curious and I would rather have all the rules laid out ahead of time.

I will probably call them but thought why not ask the community so that others might learn as well.

I think you are very rude to say that someone asking questions about part of the process should not apply?

What if I was a 22 year old college girl rape survivor with no gun experience and wanted to get a gun and was doing research? Should that person not apply because they are asking questions?

All I did was ask some questions. Marcusrn answered very helpfully, and gave a real answer. Be more like Marcusrn.

You sir can go **** yourself with that elitist attitude.

Old 04-03-2018, 5:43 PM
Some Yahoo on the Web
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I think you are very rude to say that someone asking questions about part of the process should not apply?

What if I was a 22 year old college girl rape survivor with no gun experience and wanted to get a gun and was doing research? Should that person not apply because they are asking questions?

All I did was ask some questions. Marcusrn answered very helpfully, and gave a real answer. Be more like Marcusrn.

You sir can go **** yourself with that elitist attitude.

Seriously? You just compared your asking questions that only the Issuing agency can accurately answer with being a rape victim researching firearms?

Drama Queen much?
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love. -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

Old 04-03-2018, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Seriously? You just compared your asking questions that only the Issuing agency can accurately answer with being a rape victim researching firearms?

Drama Queen much?
My point was, he said I shouldn't apply because I asked some questions. He doesn't know why I am asking questions, he just attacks.

If we shouldn't ask questions about the permit process then why have a county specific CCW subforum at all?

Close the subforum, just ask the Issuing agency all questions directly.

Geez I expect this type of behavior in the Off topic but not here..

I would also add: its not being a drama queen, it is standing up to tough guy internet bullies who think they can sh_itpost on legitimate questions on a discussion forum.

Last edited by ECG_88; 04-03-2018 at 5:54 PM..
Old 04-03-2018, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Yes, that person should not apply. Because being a rape victim is not a valid reason for a CCW good cause statement. Rape is not an eminent threat to your life. That person would be turned down on that basis alone.

But but I digress, from your original questions. In my opinion, anything other than standard calibers would be frowned upon. Why not call one of the CCW WEAPONS SAFETY TRAINING FACILITIES & INSTRUCTORS listed on the SDCSD website? They may be able to better answer your questions.

I'm just saying, if you have to ask these questions, you may not be ready for a CCW or have a valid good cause for one.
Old 04-03-2018, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Yes, that person should not apply. Because being a rape victim is not a valid reason for a CCW good cause statement. Rape is not an eminent threat to your life. That person would be turned down on that basis alone.

But but I digress, from your original questions. In my opinion, anything other than standard calibers would be frowned upon. Why not call one of the CCW WEAPONS SAFETY TRAINING FACILITIES & INSTRUCTORS listed on the SDCSD website? They may be able to better answer your questions.

I'm just saying, if you have to ask these questions, you may not be ready for a CCW or have a valid good cause for one.

So you are saying that if someone has no good cause, then they are not allowed to ask questions and research? WTF is wrong with you?

Also you state that someone should not apply if you think they will get denied. SDCGO actually encourages everyone to apply with all types of Good Cause statements just to see which ones get approved and which don't. So you can be quiet now.

Old 04-03-2018, 6:43 PM

Quote:

You sound like our sheriff with that statement in the bold. Self defense should be the only reason needed, seems like only in CA you need a "valid" good cause...

Last edited by Devilmonkey89; 04-03-2018 at 6:45 PM..
Old 04-03-2018, 6:44 PM

Quote:
So you are saying...
Claim down. We wouldn't want someone (easily upset) like you to have a gun now, would we?

Seriously, on the caliber question, stick to known calibers that law enforcement agencies utilize.
Old 04-03-2018, 6:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilmonkey89 View Post
You sound like our sheriff with that statement in the bold. Self defense should be the only reason needed, seems like only in CA you need a "valid" good reason...
Just to be clear, YOU are the one who put those words in bold. Not me.

Last edited by GlockUnCut; 04-03-2018 at 6:48 PM..
Old 04-03-2018, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Just to be clear, YOU are the one who put those words in bold. Not me.
I bolded YOUR statment, not mine.
Old 04-03-2018, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilmonkey89 View Post
I bolded YOUR statment, not mine.
That's because you haven't said anything yet, worthy of being in bold text. You haven't contributed in any meaning full way to the OP's original questions.
Old 04-03-2018, 6:54 PM

Quote:
That's because you haven't said anything yet, worthy of being in bold text. You haven't contributed in any meaning full way to the OP's original questions.
Aint that the pot calling the kettle black. hahaa

Old 04-03-2018, 7:07 PM

Quote:
...on the caliber question, stick to known calibers that law enforcement agencies utilize.
Just saying to the OP, be practical on the caliber.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:49 PM

So back to relevant data... I was told by the clerk in the SDSO licensing division, that the SDSO does not have any standards or requirements regarding the weapons on the permit, that it is entirely up to the qualifying instructor regarding what they will approve. I must say that that seems like a quite odd and dysfunctional answer to me because I see no reason why each instructor should have his own personal list of what he considers qualified or not. However, assuming this is true, I would ask any instructors you are thinking of qualifying with what their standards are and discuss your specific firearms with them before paying for the class. It would be just awful to pay for a class only to have the instructor disqualify any or all of the weapons you intend to qualify with and carry.

The more time I spend on this forum, the more sense kcbrown makes.
Old 04-04-2018, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Aint that the pot calling the kettle black. hahaa

FS: Glock 30SF & Glock 41 ***PRICE DROP***
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1441144
Old 04-04-2018, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCaliber View Post
So back to relevant data... I was told by the clerk in the SDSO licensing division, that the SDSO does not have any standards or requirements regarding the weapons on the permit, that it is entirely up to the qualifying instructor regarding what they will approve. I must say that that seems like a quite odd and dysfunctional answer to me because I see no reason why each instructor should have his own personal list of what he considers qualified or not. However, assuming this is true, I would ask any instructors you are thinking of qualifying with what their standards are and discuss your specific firearms with them before paying for the class. It would be just awful to pay for a class only to have the instructor disqualify any or all of the weapons you intend to qualify with and carry.
Awesome answer. Thanks!

Old 04-04-2018, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Awesome answer. Thanks!
You're welcome. It's an important question and one I have wondered about myself. It is absolutely clear that different counties have different policies on this issue.

To take things a step further, I have yet to find anyone who can point to anything in the law that gives the Sheriff the authority to deny any legal weapon on a permit for any reason other than the applicant's failure to qualify with it. The law I have read only says the weapons must be listed, and I realize that as a practical matter, we are at the mercy of the Sheriff and his actions are almost beyond review, but that is a different matter.

If you get any further info or clarification on this subject, please get back to us.

The more time I spend on this forum, the more sense kcbrown makes.