Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 10-14-2010, 10:17 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Default Lake

Lake County CCW Policy, Guidelines and Forms can be found Here

Member, CRPA Board of Directors
"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." - Edmund Burke

Search Calguns using Google
CGN Search plugin for Firefox & IE CA Shotgun AW ID Flowchart CA Handgun AW ID Flowchart CA Senate CA Assembly Anti-2A Search Plugin

Last edited by obeygiant; 10-18-2010 at 9:35 PM..
Old 10-20-2010, 8:42 AM
Veteran Member

I reside part time in Lake County. My primary residence is in Sonoma County, where I own a home, spend most of my time, and also work. But I own land in Lake County. I spend 1 to 2 weekends per month there. Currently I camp on my land, but I am building a cabin. I have a mail box and receive US mail there. I pay Lake County property taxes.

IMO this not only makes me a resident of Lake County, but it makes me eligible to apply for a CCW there. As I understand it, most sheriff's believe that you may only apply in their county if it is your primary residence, but nowhere in 12050 does it state this. (Isn't this what Ed Peruta's case is about?)

So, should I apply in Lake County? Is this something that CGF is also interested in challenging? (improper residency requirements)
Old 12-08-2010, 11:04 AM
Calguns Addict

May want to check back into Lake County after the first of the year. Sheriff Mitchell was defeated for re-election by one of his sergeants. Word filtering out is that the sheriff-elect, former San Francisco SD, is not 2A friendly and has made noises about not renewing permits already in force.

Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.

Quote:
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison
Old 12-08-2010, 11:17 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogatPlay View Post
May want to check back into Lake County after the first of the year. Sheriff Mitchell was defeated for re-election by one of his sergeants. Word filtering out is that the sheriff-elect, former San Francisco SD, is not 2A friendly and has made noises about not renewing permits already in force.
Filtering out from whom? Can you give me more meat to the substance of these rumors or is it just speculation and talk?
Old 12-08-2010, 12:32 PM
Calguns Addict

My sources were a couple of current permit holders and a friend of the sheriff elect.

FWIW....

Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.

Quote:
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison
Old 12-08-2010, 3:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
Thank you for giving me an opportunity to answer your question. There has been a lot of misinformation spread about me and my beliefs during this campaign. My position on CCW permits has been no exception.

I am a firm believer in our 2nd Amendment. Likewise, I support the issuance of CCW permit. After careful consideration, there are two thing I would change from our current policy. First, I would remove Sheriff Mitchell's requirement that citizens must provide two reference letters. That requirement is not specified in the penal code and leads to the appearance of favoritism. Second, I would return the range qualification to the 5 yard line. Currently everyone must qualify from the 15 yard line. This distance makes it harder for our seniors to qualify with concealable weapons.

If you have any other questions, please contact me.

Frank

This is the e mail I got from the new sheriff in regards to his stance on ccw's in Lake county
Well that sounds like a step in the right direction to me.
Old 12-08-2010, 3:13 PM
In Memoriam

Can't tell yet, but the ex sheriff, despite a similar population, had half the issuance rate per 1000 compared to Mendocino county, and there was no link to CCW on the Sheriffs webpage, so there is room to improve for sure.
Old 12-10-2010, 9:39 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogatPlay View Post
May want to check back into Lake County after the first of the year. Sheriff Mitchell was defeated for re-election by one of his sergeants. Word filtering out is that the sheriff-elect, former San Francisco SD, is not 2A friendly and has made noises about not renewing permits already in force. My sources were a couple of current permit holders and a friend of the sheriff elect.

FWIW....
This came from the house's mouth on Facebook, message was received this morning:

I am working on researching California'a CCW statue and case law along with reviewing other SOs' policies in advance of producing a new LCSO policy. I will say this; I am in favor of issuing CCWs and adhering to rational interpretation of 12050 PC. I was already planning on eliminating the referral letters and using the DOJ form. Also, in my opinion, self protection is good cause to issue.

Frank Rivero

I've invited him to the forum to explain further.

Btw, one more thing: Sheriff Mitchell has been a really bad boy. He claimed an endorsement from "CalGuns". As the CalGuns Foundation is a 501(c)(3) and therefor cannot endorse at all, and only one person has the ownership authority over this forum to "Endorse on behalf of Calguns" (Paul Nordberg, aka Kestryll), this causes problems for both the forum members and the Foundation. It causes hostile posturing from the Sheriff-elects who's opponents falsely claimed a CalGuns endorsement, who are surprised to be contacted by CGF Volunteers and Directors and asked to fix problems that the previous sheriff caused.

Here's how the conversation goes:

Sheriff-elect: "Well, you're asking me to fix all of these problems from the previous sheriff, why did your organization endorse the incumbent opponent who caused these problems in the first place"

Me/CGF: "We don't endorse candidates, and neither does the CalGuns web forum. Individual posters may post, but we have tens of thousands of posters on the forums. There is only one man who can actually endorse on behalf of the organization, and he chooses not to do so on the behalf of the organization, and he lives in Southern California, so no involvement in your county's politics"

Sheriff-elect: "But my opponent claimed so....."

You see the problem?
Old 12-20-2010, 6:58 PM

Sheriff Rivero came to the table prior to the election and voiced his common sense opinion for CCW issuance for law abiding citizens - he said he would do away with Mitchells own "two reference letter requirement" which is discriminatory, if not unlawful.

Mitchell just cost himself an election – other Sheriffs should take note….the good ol boy system is out. We want equality, not "who you know" policy - law abiding citizens should be able to lawfully carry a concealed firearm for protection.

Last edited by dirtbike; 12-20-2010 at 7:00 PM..
Old 01-27-2011, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Sheriff Rivero has gotten rid of the two reference letters. He has told me through his Captain that Self Defense is as good a cause as any and acceptable. He made it clear to me that anyone who has a right to buy a firearm legally has a right to exercise their 2A rights. The only other thing the Captain said is that they are thinking about having a photo of the individual on the permit. I have never heard of this before, thoughts?
I believe all permit has the individual's photo in it. Mine does.
Old 01-27-2011, 6:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Sheriff Rivero has gotten rid of the two reference letters. He has told me through his Captain that Self Defense is as good a cause as any and acceptable. He made it clear to me that anyone who has a right to buy a firearm legally has a right to exercise their 2A rights. The only other thing the Captain said is that they are thinking about having a photo of the individual on the permit. I have never heard of this before, thoughts?
Has the US Citizenship requirement been eliminated?
Old 10-19-2011, 10:40 AM

Anyone have an e-mail to the sheriff or his office?

thanks
"It is vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, peace, peace; but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! The next gale that sweeps from the north will bring to our ears the clash of resounding arms! Our brethren are already in the field! Why stand we here idle? What is it that gentlemen wish? What would they have? Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry
Old 10-19-2011, 4:00 PM
Banned

707 262-4237 is the number you want to call. They will send you a packet or you can go pick one up.
Old 11-03-2011, 8:57 AM
CGSSA Coordinator

Here is where you can download the application (standard CA DOJ document):
http://www.lakesheriff.com/ServicesPrograms/ccw.htm

Keep in mind you can only list 2 firearms on your application, even though the application has 3 lines. County policy. You can however list guns registered to your spouse.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:34 AM
Calguns Addict

From the Lake Co SO CCW webpage (http://www.lakesheriff.com/ServicesPrograms/ccw.htm). My only concerns are the parts I bolded and/or underlined. Sounds like if you wait to apply until after a nutcase moves into your neighborhood and starts causing your problems, you're SOL (and that doesn't stand for Statute of Limitations).

Concealed Weapon Permit

Self-defense may be considered good cause for the issuance of a permit, however, each application is unique and the Sheriff of Lake County retains the ability to deny permit applications where it appears that doing so is in the interest of public safety.

Issuance Criteria For Consideration Pursuant to California Penal Code 12050:

* Proof that the person applying is of good moral character;
* Proof that good cause exists for the issuance;
* Proof that the person applying is a resident of the county or a city within the County;
* Proof that the person applying has completed, at the minimum, a 16-hour course of training including instruction on firearm safety and the law regarding the permissible use of a firearm;
* Proof of no statutory prohibitions
* A CCW shall not be issued to a convicted felon, a person prohibited from possessing a firearm by any law, or a person under the age of 18;
* A CCW shall not be issued due to threats, disputes, or neighborhood problems, or to persons with a previous history of mental illness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
Supporting CGF at the expense of supporting NRA is wildly stupid. . . .

Never, ever, ever choose not to be an NRA member.

-Gene
180+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives. Crime Avoidance & Self-Defense Advice