Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 07-11-2011, 7:51 AM
Banned

I can not express enough of how nice and respectful the El Dorado County Sheriffs office is. It was a very nice experience dropping of my paperwork. They assisted me with any and all questions and were very friendly. I can only hope that everyone else has the same experience as I did.
Old 07-11-2011, 5:50 PM
Veteran Member

Well, just don't move to SF or LA, you'll get a bit of "culture shock" if you do!
Old 07-11-2011, 5:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Stanislaus View Post
Well, just don't move to SF or LA, you'll get a bit of "culture shock" if you do!
Born and raised in Santa Ana for 27 years, only good thing about down south is the beach and Disneyland. I miss surfing the most, nice warm beaches with bikinis any time of the year.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:39 AM

I just got back from the interview and was approved for my CCW, I pick up the permit on the 8th next month!

Thank you to everyone that posted information on the process.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojak001@att.net View Post
I just got back from the interview and was approved for my CCW, I pick up the permit on the 8th next month!

Thank you to everyone that posted information on the process.
I assume that the interview was in person?

And if so did they call to set up an appointment to go back in?

Last edited by Curley Red; 07-21-2011 at 12:38 PM..
Old 07-21-2011, 12:38 PM

Yes, in person interview at the sheriff support unit office.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojak001@att.net View Post
Yes, in person interview at the sheriff support unit office.
Thanks for the info, I am just waiting for that call myself.

Did you apply for the Arizona permit which is good in Nevada?
Old 07-21-2011, 12:46 PM

I think my call back was a little over two weeks to setup the in person interview so you should receive your call soon.

I have not applied for any out of state permits.

Good luck with your permit!
Old 08-02-2011, 10:11 AM
Banned

Just got the call for my interview in 2 days. I am as excited as a kid on Christmas Eve.
Old 08-02-2011, 8:33 PM

Default 2nd Appointment

Cool Deal Curley,

That means I'm only a couple a week or two away from my call! Good Luck!
Old 08-04-2011, 2:07 PM
Banned

Had my interview and I am good to go, pick up my CCW on the 24th.

Just wondering when my Arizona CCW will show up, should be any day now.

Good luck to everyone else, it has been a great experience with the El Dorado Sheriffs office. A good group of people that are very friendly and willing to help you out.
Old 08-06-2011, 3:09 PM

I'm super excited... My appointment is coming up.
Old 08-17-2011, 7:21 AM
Banned

One week from today I get to pick up my CCW, the wait is killing me but I can handle it. I know the wait sucks but it is better than not getting one at all. I have already started walking around inside my house with my crossbreed supertuck and it feels good. Just can't wait to make a trip outside so it can feel the fresh air.
Old 08-17-2011, 7:26 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curley Red View Post
One week from today I get to pick up my CCW, the wait is killing me but I can handle it. I know the wait sucks but it is better than not getting one at all. I have already started walking around inside my house with my crossbreed supertuck and it feels good. Just can't wait to make a trip outside so it can feel the fresh air.
LOL...I have my CCW and painfully waiting for my Crossbreed Supertuck. I tried a cheap leather IWB this weekend, but you get what you pay for....not comfortable. Can't wait for my Crossbreed.

"I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"- Patrick Henry.

Our Founders Views Regarding the 2nd Amendment - Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Old 08-17-2011, 7:33 AM
Calguns Addict

Has anyone here gotten any CCW's from the sheriff's office, with ANY restrictions whatsoever on the license itself?
Old 08-24-2011, 9:48 AM
Banned

Now I have to go and buy a bigger wallet for my new card!!!!!!! Oh well it is worth it. What a great experience working with El Dorado County Sheriff's throughout the whole licensing. Couldn't ask for a better experience.

FYI, no restrictions on the card.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:09 AM

I'm still waiting on my call for my second interview.
Old 08-24-2011, 1:06 PM
Banned

Funny thing, they give you 2 cards. 1 that is what you need to carry whenever you are carrying a gun which does not fit into an ordinary wallet, the other is a plastic card that is basically useless. I forgot the term she used when she handed it to me but it was basically a keepsake type of thing that was good just to show others but worthless if asked for your CCW from an officer. I wonder why they waste time with the hard plastic card if it is of no use.
Old 08-25-2011, 9:45 PM

So When I did the initial interview no one asked for my GC statement... During the second interview will the detective simply ask me? Is there anything I need to do before then?
Old 08-26-2011, 9:24 AM

Quote:
Funny thing, they give you 2 cards. 1 that is what you need to carry whenever you are carrying a gun which does not fit into an ordinary wallet, the other is a plastic card that is basically useless. I forgot the term she used when she handed it to me but it was basically a keepsake type of thing that was good just to show others but worthless if asked for your CCW from an officer. I wonder why they waste time with the hard plastic card if it is of no use.

I never got the plastic card. I've seen a buddy's HR 218 card from a Bay Area county and I don't see why the information from the paper permits we get couldn't fit on the front and back of a plastic credit card-sized permit. It's probably due to the expense of the printing equipment, etc.

On another note, I updated my "list" on the permit earlier this week and when I asked about the limit on listed items was told by the clerk, "There's no limit." I now have more than five on my list, and they just continued it on the back.... Also, there was no fee for the change, just the two-month wait for the appointment from the time I scheduled on line. I love EDCo.
My guns haven't killed any friends or family ever since I sat down with them and had a long talk about how that behavior just isn't acceptable in my household. I encourage all gun owners to sit down with their guns and have the same talk. Its the responsibility of all gun owners to ensure their guns just don't go off on their own killing people.
Old 08-26-2011, 1:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalDustin View Post
So When I did the initial interview no one asked for my GC statement... During the second interview will the detective simply ask me? Is there anything I need to do before then?
In the second interview the officer will go over the application that you filled out and ask you all the questions. It is basically a get to know you kind of interview, relax and enjoy it. He was a real nice person.

I told them that I wanted my CCW for peronal protection, which is what I put on the applciation and that is all you need.

I'd say good luck but you don't need it.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Now I have to go and buy a bigger wallet for my new card!!!!!!! Oh well it is worth it. What a great experience working with El Dorado County Sheriff's throughout the whole licensing. Couldn't ask for a better experience.

FYI, no restrictions on the card.
Now make sure that everywhere you go, you ask them if it's okay to carry a concealed pistol there.

Went to an AMC theater last night

Semper Fi!

Last edited by thebronze; 08-31-2011 at 10:35 PM..
Old 10-11-2011, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Peterson View Post
Has anyone here gotten any CCW's from the sheriff's office, with ANY restrictions whatsoever on the license itself?
Recently re-up'd; no restrictions on license itself, but South Lake EDSO still makes you sign a separate piece of paper that lists all the usual state law restricted sites, but also lists "schools". This makes it tough on those of us who still have school age kids and need to come and go to school and work activities. I know it's not on the permit itself, meaning it is likely still legal to carry, but would likely get your permit revoked if ever caught.
Old 11-01-2011, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Peterson View Post
Haven't been to this thread in quite some time, but I am interested in this topic as I had made some inquiries earlier via ccwtrainer as to whether or not Sheriff D'Agostini was going to remove the "no carry on school grounds" restriction and enable the PC "can carry on school grounds" to take effect for us.

My CCW License has NO restrictions on it. All of the restrictions that they made me aware of were on a separate peice of 8.5"x11" non-descript, non-official, no header of any kind whatsoever paper that I was required to sign.

From what I gather from the PC, technically, since the "restrictions" are not "on the license" itself then, technically, they are not valid. But who is going to TEST that? Not me.

I sure would like to get that "no schools" restriction dropped as I have 2 daughters in private schools and would very much like to eliminate the headache of having to "secure" before each time I need to pick them up, etc. What a hassel. And in a place where a good-guy with a weapon can make the most difference when needed too. Sometimes things just do not make any sense.

So Gray, where are you going with this, if anywhere?
Old 11-10-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccwtrainer View Post
As of right now, when you receive your EDSO CCW permit, you will also receive a restrictions page that states that you can not carry on school grounds. This was brought to my attention by one of my recent students. I contacted Sheriff D'Agostini immediately, as this was something that he aimed to remove from the restrictions. He stated that he would look into this and update it accordingly.

I thought you all should know that it's being handled.
Any updates on this one? A friend of mine picked up his license last week and they gave him a page of restrictions with that on it still...
Old 11-11-2011, 9:22 AM

Too big a deal is being made of the off-license "restrictions page". The law is clear--any legal restrictions to time, place and manner regarding the validity of the license must be on the license itself. The "restrictions page" is CYA for the SO and would give them the ability to revoke the permit if a holder makes an *** of themselves in one of the areas noted on the "page".

Use some common sense and your own sense of comfort regarding where you carry with your permit. And remember, the first part of concealed carry is concealed. 99.9% of the people around you won't know anything unless you go around announcing it. For me personally, this also means not telling my children, as kids love to brag about stuff and the surest way for a school official to learn of your CCW status is from the mouths of babes....
My guns haven't killed any friends or family ever since I sat down with them and had a long talk about how that behavior just isn't acceptable in my household. I encourage all gun owners to sit down with their guns and have the same talk. Its the responsibility of all gun owners to ensure their guns just don't go off on their own killing people.
Old 11-15-2011, 2:31 PM

Question Changing a LTC - swapping a weapon

Never mind ... I figured it out.

What's paperwork do I need to swap a weapon on my CCW License? I want to remove one and replace it with another.

I have an appt scheduled for tomorrow morning and can't seem to find out what I need to fill out to do this.

Please help.

Last edited by 15thaf5thbw; 11-15-2011 at 3:15 PM..
Old 11-20-2011, 8:06 AM

Default Refinement on residency question

Great thread.

In my situation, my primary residence is San Francisco and I work in San Francisco. We do, however, have a second home in the unincorporated area of South Lake Tahoe. This is actually where I would want to carry my weapon as the house abuts wilderness and we have encountered wildlife (bears included) while walking the dogs in the early morning hours.

Any thoughts on how the EDCSO would respond to this type of CCW application?

TIA
Old 11-20-2011, 6:28 PM
Veteran Member

I wouldn't mention Lake Tahoe black bears as a threat. The Lake Tahoe Bear League might run you out of town!

I believe the sheriff there is pretty much "shall issue" just for basic self defense as a reason.
Old 11-20-2011, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otteray View Post
I wouldn't mention Lake Tahoe black bears as a threat. The Lake Tahoe Bear League might run you out of town!

I believe the sheriff there is pretty much "shall issue" just for basic self defense as a reason.
LOL

I am all for live and let live and I would just as soon slink off than seek a confrontation with a black bear. I should post the pictures of our bear box, it is pretty battle scarred.
Old 11-22-2011, 6:02 AM

Good morning,
Does anyone know what the current time window is in ED County between first interview (application filing/LiveScan), and the 2nd interview with the detective?

Thanks, and Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-22-2011, 6:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by User21c View Post
Good morning,
Does anyone know what the current time window is in ED County between first interview (application filing/LiveScan), and the 2nd interview with the detective?

You can typically expect about 30 days. then another 2-3 weeks later to pick up your permit.

Happy Thanksgiving and good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Majik View Post
Also, don't forget, bring a slower friend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic32 View Post
i was hoping for a 1911. very disappointing. it's like you are getting ready to have a threesome with jessica alba and scarlett johansen and finding out they're both dudes...
Old 11-22-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by User21c View Post
Good morning,

You should get the call to schedule about 2 weeks after the initial interview, from there I believe some people have been having to schedule appointments out 2-4 weeks because of the backlog of applications.
Old 11-23-2011, 4:37 AM

Thanks folks, I appreciate the replies.
So, I posted my question because it had been about 5 weeks since filing my application, and I hadn't heard anything regarding my interview appt... (I was told up to 8 weeks)

Ironically, the day that I posted this, I received a call to schedule my interview. (Next week)

Looks like they're running about 6 weeks from first to second appontments.

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you.
Old 11-23-2011, 7:43 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhondapilot View Post
In my situation, my primary residence is in the unincorporated area of South Lake Tahoe. Due to the long commute to my workplace in San Francisco, we have a second home in San Francisco.
Fixed it for you.

Of course your drivers license, voter registration, and what not needs to match up with this.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Mal Reynolds

"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."- Ernest Hemingway
Old 11-24-2011, 5:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali-Glock View Post
Fixed it for you.

Of course your drivers license, voter registration, and what not needs to match up with this.

Good suggestion!

However, upon further reflection, I would suspect that this would be a common request in Eldorado County. The SLT area has and is an attractive locale for a second residence. I would have to think that some of the owners are out-of-state owners who may have LTC in their home state. With the absence of reciprocity, I would think that these individuals would consider applying for a LTC that would be valid in CA. Am I way off base here?

Last edited by sfhondapilot; 11-24-2011 at 6:22 AM..
Old 12-01-2011, 4:55 AM
Veteran Member

Default Good cause statements?

Are they still going to be posted?
Old 12-03-2011, 11:33 AM

Default El Dorado CCW school zone restriction not listed in 218 policy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalDustin View Post
Any updates on this one? A friend of mine picked up his license last week and they gave him a page of restrictions with that on it still...
I'm surprised to see the school zone restriction still on the Restrictions & Conditions Agreement form. The latest copy of the El Dorado County Sheriff's 218 Policy or "Concealed Weapon License Policy Directive" does not have the school zone restriction listed anywhere in it. I just re-read every page of the document just to be sure. Here's the entire restrictions section of the policy:
218.5.1 LICENSE RESTRICTIONS
(a) The Sheriff may place special restrictions limiting time, place and circumstances
under which any license shall be valid. In general, these restrictions will prohibit the
licensee from any of the following:
1. Consuming any alcoholic beverage while armed.
2. Falsely representing him or herself as a peace officer.
3. Unjustified or unreasonable displaying of a weapon.
4. Committing any crime.
5. Being under the influence of any alcoholic beverage or drug while armed or
under the combined influence of any alcoholic beverage or drug.
6. Interfering with any law enforcement officer’s duties.
7. Refusing to display his/her license or weapon for inspection upon demand of
any peace officer.
(b) The Sheriff reserves the right to inspect any license or licensed weapon at any time.
(c) Any ammunition carried in a weapon licensed to be carried concealed, may be
inspected and approved by the Sheriff’s Office Amorer/Rangemaster or Sheriff’s
Office approved armorer.
(d) The alteration of any previously approved weapon without approval of the Sheriff or
his designee including, but not limited to adjusting trigger pull, adding laser sights or
modifications shall void any license and serve as grounds for revocation.

I put a call in to Sheriff D'Agostini. I'll post an update when he responds.
Wesley Lagomarsino, CA CCW Instructor - Alameda, Amador, Calaveras, El Dorado, Placer, Sacramento, San Joaquin, Shasta, Stanislaus, Yolo, Yuba, the Cities of Davis, Galt, Lodi, Stockton and Tracy ... and many more to come ... and Arizona, Florida, Nevada, Maine, Oregon, Utah & Virginia

www.LFIguns.com - serving the Central Valley, Foot Hills and Bay Area
Old 12-10-2011, 7:30 PM

Any updates on this? I pickup my permit in about 2 weeks, and am curious.

Also, I'll call the records dept. during the week, but does anyone know if I can add a gun to a permit at the time I pick up the permit?
Old 12-10-2011, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otteray View Post
Are they still going to be posted?
I dont know about everyone else but I never wrote down my good cause. During my 2nd Interview I was asked why I was requesting an LTC, and I believe I just said something like for personal protection.