Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 06-03-2006, 1:14 AM

Default good tactical that can do trap also

I was wondering what would be a good in the middle type shotgun...
I ant something tactical but i want it to beable to shoot clays pretty well without having to get something with a huge barrel on it.
18 to short for trap? should I look for something around 20-22inch barrel?
basically going to use it for shooting junk/targets and clays.
any thoughts?
Old 06-03-2006, 1:32 AM

I used to try that also, but I figured unless im shooting formal trap I'll just stick with my 18in M1.

And if I really wanted to I could try to pick up a longer barrel off ebay or some similar site.
Old 06-03-2006, 1:43 AM
Calguns Addict

Any shotgun can shoot trap... just like any caliber can kill.... just depend on whether you are at a disadvantage...

With that said... I think your best bet is going to be a 18".... since moving around indoor with a 25"+ barrel isn't a fun thing to do... or trying to do CQB with a long barrel shotgun...

So... just get a 18" for tactical purpose... then try out trap shooting and see if you like it... you can still pull it off with a 18", just that you will be at a disadvantage over 26" or 28" barrels.... but at the end... if you REALLY wanna get into the sport... get another shotgun for that purpose...

And as a start... go with a low cost pump gun.... maybe a 870 or Mossberg 500
Old 06-03-2006, 10:09 AM

If you're looking for a good dual purpose package, look at the Mossberg 500 combo at Big 5. You get an 18" and 26" bbl in the package, which will suit your needs.. It's on sale now and then for $220. If it's not on sale, just ask the firearms manager if they can sell it at the $220. Most of the time they're willing to lower the price.
Old 06-03-2006, 10:57 AM
Moderator Emeritus
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy8151
If you're looking for a good dual purpose package, look at the Mossberg 500 combo at Big 5. You get an 18" and 26" bbl in the package, which will suit your needs.. It's on sale now and then for $220. If it's not on sale, just ask the firearms manager if they can sell it at the $220. Most of the time they're willing to lower the price.
+1, thats what I got and its great. It takes a whole minute to change the barrels. Mine switches from HD to trap in about 15 minutes which includes changing the stock, foregrip and barrel.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:31 PM

I'm also interested in a dual purpose shotgun, for home protection, general shooting and some trap. A few of my friends said the short 18" deliver a much harsher kick than a 24" barrel, is this really a big difference?

I perfer shorter shotguns with pistol grips just because they are easier to move around and carry and would perfer to use this instead of a traditional shotgun.

Rob
Old 06-05-2006, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robf
I perfer shorter shotguns with pistol grips just because they are easier to move around and carry and would perfer to use this instead of a traditional shotgun.

Rob
I hope you don't mean pistol grip only shotgun, because these are tradionally horrible shotguns to use. While they may look cool in the movies, they are impractical for HD. They are extremely hard to control and follow up shots are difficult. The only pgo grip I would even consider using would be Knoxx's breacher grip because of the recoil reduction.
Old 06-05-2006, 1:20 PM

I shoot trap with my Benelli super 90 M3, with GR sights!
Old 06-05-2006, 1:37 PM

the 2 bbls is a good option, but personally i am amazed how well my 18" Vang Comp bbl does on clay (infront of a cheapy remmy express 870)...
Old 06-05-2006, 2:48 PM
Janitors assistant
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Not all shotguns shoot trap well, you need good constriction for this. Unlike skeet the tighter the clyinder the better for me. You would look a little odd pulling up with an 18" barrel at the trap range, the only person I ever saw try it left frustrated. You should get a gun with interchangeable chokes. Use the proper choke for the proper range, you will have more fun than the other way around.
Old 06-05-2006, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy8151
I hope you don't mean pistol grip only shotgun, because these are tradionally horrible shotguns to use. While they may look cool in the movies, they are impractical for HD. They are extremely hard to control and follow up shots are difficult. The only pgo grip I would even consider using would be Knoxx's breacher grip because of the recoil reduction.
Pistol grip with a full stock or something with a thumbhole.

Rob
Old 06-05-2006, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robf
Pistol grip with a full stock or something with a thumbhole.

Rob
Take a look at the Knoxx Specops stock. It's an AR style stock that's collapsable and has recoil reduction.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:18 AM

Mossberg 500 at Big 5 is what you need. I have it and I use the same purpose like you. Skeet and defense at home.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:50 PM

Pump-guns are the the least expensive and very fast to change barrels..

A Remington 870, Mossberg 500 or Winchester 1300 are great guns for both home and range / hunting.. Barrels are rather cheep and swap out in under 1 min.

Plus the pump action is utterly reliable.. They will work 99.9% of the time and can be shot almost as fast as a semi-auto with partice.

To be honest you can't beat a good over under!! When you get good and fast with one of those it is pretty impressive!! (And it really makes the semi-auto guys squirm!)
Old 06-22-2006, 9:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50 Shooter
Same here, I even shot sporting clays with it (got 65 of 100 my first time out). You should have seen the looks on the faces of the guys with the $10,000 over/unders, it was classic. A few asked if they could try it, they had never seen a shotty like it
Anyway, was it the best for the job? Prolly not. Did I have fun? Hell yes!!!

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck."

In tribute to Blackwater Ops
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Ben Franklin
Old 06-22-2006, 10:31 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Pistol grips help for home defense if they somehow get close enough to grab the gun. Its harder to take a pistol gripped gun out of someones hand than a hunting style stock.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Good God!!!! I thought I was the only. That M3 with GR sights really allow you to destroy those clays.

Does yours have PG on it? Mine does. Pisses the hell out of all the high and mighty trap gunners next to me.