Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 06-02-2006, 1:08 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default New M9 Owner

Well.. I sold a used AR A2 upper today and did the transaction at Irvington Arms... Blue84s10 is a cool guy to deal with and his new baby is adorable! Anyway.. I was browsing the counter and saw a Baretta M9 for $550 so after mulling it over(deciding how bad the wife was going to beat me if I came home with another gun) I got it!! I already have my Glock 17 but I have always wanted a Baretta. They had a 92FS for the same price but I got the M9 because it looked cooler with the M9 designation.

Distinguished Rifleman Badge #2220
Old 06-02-2006, 1:10 PM
Calguns Addict

You can always tell her, "Hey, at least it's not another Garand".
Old 06-02-2006, 1:16 PM

Default Another Gun!!!! I'm Sorry....

Just remember "It's easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission"
Old 06-02-2006, 1:53 PM

You've got 10 days to come up with an excuse, or a plan to sneak it into the house.
Old 06-02-2006, 1:54 PM
Calguns Addict

I can tell her I traded the M9 for the A2 upper
Old 06-03-2006, 12:25 AM

Location: San Marcos (Pismo Beach, CA one weekend a month haha)

Better a beretta than a women...at least... that's what I'd say...
Old 06-03-2006, 8:31 AM

Dont tell her its new, say "this old thing? its been in the safe all these years"
Old 06-03-2006, 9:04 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

What new gun? Awww, that old thing? I've had it for years.

One thing that I've learned from the guys at Irvington, keep the PPT reciepts. Tha way you can show them to SWMBO and claim that you just paid $35 for the new gun!!

90% of winning is simply showing up.

"Let's not lose sight of how much we reduced our carbon footprint by telecommuting this protest." 383green

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 06-03-2006, 11:18 PM

Ya, i shot an m9 today and was impressed with it.
Old 06-04-2006, 5:54 AM
I need a LIFE!!

There are some pretty good excuses or thoughts on sneaing another gun into the house
"its easier to ask for forgiveness then permission" Probably takes the cake.
What other reasons do you guys use to justify another firearm with your wives, when your safe is full and you start hiding them around the house?

M. Sage's I have a dream speech;

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
I dream about the day that the average would-be rapist is afraid to approach a woman who's walking alone at night. I dream of the day when two punks talk each other out of sticking up a liquor store because it's too damn risky.
Old 06-04-2006, 9:19 AM
Super Moderator

I always find these threads interesting. I guess I'm a little bit different here - I have an open honesty policy with the wife. I tell her if I want to buy something and seek her "approval" first. If she doesn't say yes, then it's a no go for me.

Why would I voluntarily limit my spending and freedom like that?

The answer is simple. I also expect the same in return from her, which she does comply. This way, neither of us can "out do" the other in a race to spend OUR money on "frivolous" things that don't do anything to further our lives together. I want to buy guns, she wants to buy shoes, clothes, fashion accessories, and vacations. You guys ever shop for expensive shoes and purses? Some of those cost as much or more than new guns! You figure you want to spend $750 on a new Springfield, Kimber, HK, or a SIG? My wife's got a purse that costs $750, and that's not even the highest priced model. Yes, I told her she could buy it.

Now, one could imagine a scenario where both spouses end up vetoing every purchase request just to create an unhappy situation. Sure, that could happen. You can choose to be angry and bitter, and retaliate all the time against your spouse, or you can choose to be happy. After a few rounds of vetoing, you start to realize, "Hey, this isn't getting us anywhere. I'm unhappy and without a new gun, and she's unhappy and without new shoes, purses, and new clothes. Let's start to agree to spend a little here and there, so that we both can be happy."

Eventually what happens is that you start to say "ok" to a few shoes, purses, and she starts to say "ok" to a few guns and accessories. This way, you both know what you're buying, so no money is being spent without knowledge or in secret, and you're both agreeing on the purchases.

It keeps both people honest and it helps control some of the spending because it makes you stop and think before asking the other if you really should buy that new gun, purse, or pair of pants. It also helps keep the spending on things that are meaningful to BOTH people in the relationship, such as spending on the house, food, going out, etc.

Mark me down as one for honesty and openness. I don't sneak any of them into the house - I learned that hard lesson long ago before I adopted this new approach, which has been working quite well so far.

Sorry for the side topic, but I thought that this just needed to be said.

Turby
Old 06-04-2006, 10:36 AM

I guess I'm lucky my "significant other" likes guns herself and has been buggin me to buy her one. Although, she did kind of flip out when she saw that I bought a Socom II. She said it looked, and I quote "scary " But that's a good thing right?
Old 06-04-2006, 11:16 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbinator
I always find these threads interesting. I guess I'm a little bit different here - I have an open honesty policy with the wife. I tell her if I want to buy something and seek her "approval" first. If she doesn't say yes, then it's a no go for me.

Mark me down as one for honesty and openness. I don't sneak any of them into the house - I learned that hard lesson long ago before I adopted this new approach, which has been working quite well so far.

Turby
Unfortunately that doesn't ever work in my house. Kind of disappointing, but it works for me. I have my own stash of "butter and egg" money.

Though I often encourage her to buy a nice pair of shoes, or nice clothes, etc, she rarely does. When she does buy something extravagant, she always feels guilty - I know, it's strange. I've never said no to a personal purchase she's made.

But she really isn't fond of guns at all. She tolerates them because I like them. Tolerates the reloading machines and the safe and the gun mags around the house - but she won't agree to an additional purchase.

So I save my birthday money, and generate some revenue on the side and that is how I feed my habit.

It does have its downsides, though. Somehow I need to figure out how to sneak a new safe into the house....

90% of winning is simply showing up.

"Let's not lose sight of how much we reduced our carbon footprint by telecommuting this protest." 383green

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 06-04-2006, 11:34 AM

I sold my M9 back in 91 and regret it. I will be picking up one this yr though.

I liked the GI Factory TV show that showed how they make them, pretty dang cool.
Old 06-04-2006, 2:10 PM
Super Moderator

My wifes thinking is that 'why do you need more than one gun?' she's not anti-gun.. she just thinks that one only needs to own one firearm and if I had to ask permission to buy one everytime I wanted one.. I'd only have one......

Last edited by NRAhighpowershooter; 06-04-2006 at 3:38 PM..
Old 06-04-2006, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRAhighpowershooter
My wifes thinking is that 'why do you need more than one gun?' she's not anti-gun.. she just thinks that one only needs own one firearm and if I had to ak permission to buy one everytime I wanted one.. I'm only have one......
If it was a NEED for only ONE gun... I'd say, you NEED only ONE pair of shoes (although I don't really have the balls to follow up that argument). But like I said before, we don't NEED over half the crap we buy anyways right?
Old 06-04-2006, 3:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeFern
Better a beretta than a women...at least... that's what I'd say...

No, that is actually makes it worse - another women in the house!
WTB: CZ452
Old 06-09-2006, 9:08 AM
Super Moderator

Sheesh!! This IS bad!!! I have to wail until noon next Tuesday, 6/13, to pick up my M9!!!!!!! I haven't had the new gun jitters like this in YEARS!!!!!!!

Old 06-09-2006, 9:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AS45-70
I sold my M9 back in 91 and regret it. I will be picking up one this yr though.

I liked the GI Factory TV show that showed how they make them, pretty dang cool.

I've seen that one too, it makes me want to get one. So as the other ones they showed also. he he he!
Old 06-09-2006, 10:02 AM
Banned

Cheap M9 http://www.rguns.net/016_1.html
Old 06-09-2006, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbinator

Why would I voluntarily limit my spending and freedom like that?

The answer is simple. I also expect the same in return from her, which she does comply. This way, neither of us can "out do" the other in a race to spend OUR money on "frivolous" things that don't do anything to further our lives together. I want to buy guns, she wants to buy shoes, clothes, fashion accessories, and vacations. You guys ever shop for expensive shoes and purses? Some of those cost as much or more than new guns! You figure you want to spend $750 on a new Springfield, Kimber, HK, or a SIG? My wife's got a purse that costs $750, and that's not even the highest priced model. Yes, I told her she could buy it.

Now, one could imagine a scenario where both spouses end up vetoing every purchase request just to create an unhappy situation. Sure, that could happen. You can choose to be angry and bitter, and retaliate all the time against your spouse, or you can choose to be happy. After a few rounds of vetoing, you start to realize, "Hey, this isn't getting us anywhere. I'm unhappy and without a new gun, and she's unhappy and without new shoes, purses, and new clothes. Let's start to agree to spend a little here and there, so that we both can be happy."

Eventually what happens is that you start to say "ok" to a few shoes, purses, and she starts to say "ok" to a few guns and accessories. This way, you both know what you're buying, so no money is being spent without knowledge or in secret, and you're both agreeing on the purchases.

It keeps both people honest and it helps control some of the spending because it makes you stop and think before asking the other if you really should buy that new gun, purse, or pair of pants. It also helps keep the spending on things that are meaningful to BOTH people in the relationship, such as spending on the house, food, going out, etc.

Turby
Ugh! I can't my fiance to drop money on anything to give me an excuse to buy anything. She even buys cheap (or even used) shoes and purses! She really doesn't have any expensive hobbies. She does spend money on vacations, but I obviously go on vacations too, so that doesn't work. It's fustrating! Spend more money woman!
Old 06-09-2006, 3:39 PM
Banned

If your spending your own money than it shouldn't be any of her business anyway. It's your hard earned money, you should spend it any way you choose. Thats why its stupid for couples, (even married people) to get a joint account. Your giving control of your money to someone else. If my girlfriend wants a purse, she'll go buy it, or if she wants me to buy it, I will but she knows she can't say feces when I tell her I got a new gun/rifle after that. To me financial independence means independence from other people controlling your spending habits. Of course if your really bad with money than you should learn to discipline yourself and your spending habits.
Old 06-09-2006, 3:45 PM
Super Moderator

Even though Mrs. NRAHPS can;t say diddly about my gun purchases, if we need something for the house we each contribute 50/50 paying for it... That way neither one of us can complain that they pay more than the other. We do that for everything.

Old 06-10-2006, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownassailant
If your spending your own money than it shouldn't be any of her business anyway. It's your hard earned money, you should spend it any way you choose. Thats why its stupid for couples, (even married people) to get a joint account. Your giving control of your money to someone else. If my girlfriend wants a purse, she'll go buy it, or if she wants me to buy it, I will but she knows she can't say feces when I tell her I got a new gun/rifle after that. To me financial independence means independence from other people controlling your spending habits. Of course if your really bad with money than you should learn to discipline yourself and your spending habits.
I disagree, but as this isn't a relationship forum, I'll stay away from getting too deep into it.

Basically, I see marriage as a partnership, I don't care who's bringing in more money, it's collectively "our" money and we work at our life goals together as a team.

IMHO..

Turby
Old 06-13-2006, 7:13 AM
Super Moderator

OK.. it's 8:13 am on my pick-up day.... I have the $%&%!#@!@@# jitters SO bad!!!! sheeeeshhh!!!!!!! I'm so NOT going to make it by noon!!

Man.... you'd think by the way I was acting that this was my first firearm!

Old 06-14-2006, 4:02 PM
Super Moderator

Ok.. It's the day after I picked up my M9... I love it!!!! After reading the manual, I saw that I could swap sides for the mag release!! WOOHOO!! (I'm a Lefty) I spent just about every wakeing hour playing with it, getting familiar with the feel and trigger and safety and such.... Going to run the first 200rnds or so through it tomorrow after HP practice.

Old 06-14-2006, 4:11 PM
glen avon

it has a solid, smooth feel that plastic just don't got.
Old 06-14-2006, 4:17 PM
Super Moderator

I dunno... I still love my TupperWare pistol.......

Old 06-15-2006, 10:56 AM

Don't you want to hold out for the M9A1 to come out in Killa Cali?

http://products.berettausa.com/image...small_maxi.jpg

DJ
Old 06-15-2006, 11:37 AM
Calguner Extraordinaire
CGN Contributor

I love you guys: "In my house, I am the man of the house. If someone breaks in at night, I will blow him to $#!@# Africa with my laser pointed AR-15X, then pop a few rounds with my M1 Socal loaded with the super ZX65H rounds, and finish him off with my Macho pistol (death star version). But when the wife asks me about my boy toys (umm - self defense tools) I will tuck my tail between my legs and retreat to the garage - i.e. my kingdom - i.e.2. the only place the boss lets me play!"

Hey, what ever works for everyone is what matters! Peace at home is most important.

Gotta run hide in the garage!
Old 06-15-2006, 3:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Don't you want to hold out for the M9A1 to come out in Killa Cali?
The only pistol I have that has rails in my Glock17 and I don;t like rails... I wish I never got rid of my old G17 that I bought back in '85 and sold in '89

Old 06-16-2006, 3:22 PM
Super Moderator

Well.. after HP practice Thursday.. I ran 200rnds through it.. 100rnds of Winchester USA 115gr ammo and 100rnds of my handloads (124gr) and not one single FTF, FTE or any other hiccup.. target was placed at 30ft and all shots were kept in a 3" circle. I was using a center hold and all shots were point of aim, point of impact.. I'm verry happy with this pistol!! But... it will take a little getting use to the trigger, as I'm use to my1911's and my Glock trigger which are all better than a Beretta 92/M9 trigger. But all in all.. WELL worth the $550 NIB I paid for it!!!!

Old 06-17-2006, 3:15 PM
Super Moderator

Berettas are nice guns, I love the design and the looks of this gun. There must be millions of them in the world, especially now that the US military is using them across the board. Too bad I passed up the chance to buy one from a friend awhile back - although he didn't tell me that he was selling his. It's long gone, now.

Turby