Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

View Poll Results: Which Piston Rifle
Sig 516 Patrol Rifle 23 74.19%
Ruger SR556 8 25.81%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-10-2010, 3:47 PM

Default SiG 516 VS Ruger SR556

I want to add a piston rifle to the mix. I have a DDM4 already, and had a BCM. Looking to stay in $1500 range. Open to other suggestions as well. Right now I have it narrowed to the ruger which I know had carrier tilt issues before and I'm not sure they've been addressed, and the Sig 516 Patrol Rifle, which is fairly new to the game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
Just wish I knew what wood in your meat is suppost to taste like.
Old 10-10-2010, 4:06 PM
Calguns Addict

I used to lust after the Ruger, but then I put together a gun using an Adam's complete upper and began to understand why some don't like the SR556. It's heavy, you can't take the rail system off without voiding the warranty, and they don't appear to have any feature to counteract the so-called carrier tilt problem.

After seeing pics of the Sig, it looks like they've done their homework and put together a good gun, although it would have been nice if they had gone with a mid-length instead.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...hlight=sig+516

Last edited by Droppin Deuces; 10-10-2010 at 4:08 PM..
Old 10-10-2010, 4:32 PM
Veteran Member

The Sig 516 is surprisingly light. I didn't get to shoot it but I handled it some.
Old 10-10-2010, 4:39 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Sig all the way. If going pistol get something designed from the ground up to use that system.
Plus if you already have AR pattern rifles, why not mix it up?
Old 10-10-2010, 8:22 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'd go with the SIG. The fact that you cant remove the rail on the Ruger 556 without voiding the warranty makes it very unattractive.
Old 10-10-2010, 8:51 PM
Veteran Member

The SR556 has their logo stamped all over the place on that rifle too. What I really hate about the SR is that its trigger is sooo horrible. It has to be by far the hardest heaviest trigger I've ever felt. It's so bad that I thought I had the weapon on safe when I was pulling the trigger but nope it was just a very heavy pull. It's awkwardly front heavy too.
Old 10-10-2010, 8:52 PM

So if you go with Adams Arms or the Ruger,either one of these two similiar products below should address carrier tilt concerns in regards to any gas piston guns out there. These are basically mil spec buffer tubes with an extended lip to protect the lower receiver buffer area where potential carrier tilt could occur. I have the POF version and its the more affordable of the two , but both work on the same principle. No more carrier tilt.

http://www.pof-usa.com/images/buffertube1.jpg ( You can get this on the POF site)

http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/v...&idcategory=21
Old 10-10-2010, 10:31 PM
Calguns Addict

I guess my post didn't come across the way I intended. I didn't mean to imply that Adams arms wasn't a good design. On the contrary, it utilizes a design feature the Ruger doesn't: "anti-tilt ramps" on the rear of the BCG. My bolt carrier has yet to leave even a faint mark on the leading edge of the receiver extension after a couple thousand rounds. Those ramps are a missing feature on the Ruger that made me understand why some people don't care for it. The overall weight and disassembly issues were in addition to that.
Old 10-11-2010, 8:07 AM
Calguns Addict

I would build another AR !!!
Old 10-11-2010, 8:12 AM
Calguns Addict

Sig!
Old 10-11-2010, 8:21 AM

i have seen the sig on their website, dont know how the piston works but it looks like the same as the ruger? i dont know. i personally would go with the pws that is on the addax website, its only $1500. i own a addax/pws upper and it does not have the carrier tilt problem. from what i understand the addax/pws long stroke system does not have carrier tilt because the piston and rod are attached to the bolt carrier group, so that the piston does not "hammer" the bolt carrier back which is what causes the carrier tilt. check it out, or call them up, they are really cool people over there at addax.

i love my rifle, but for the money i spent buying a rock river lower and then the addax/pws upper, i could have gotten the complete rifle which has a matching upper and lower reciever (less play between the two), the magpul moe buttstock (instead of a regular six position), and the back up sights (magpul BUS instead of none).

either way i am a big fan of piston ar15s, yes i know the DI system is fine, i owned them, but i really like how much easier it is to clean the piston system, no more scrubbing the bolt for half and hour to an hour.