Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 05-29-2006, 1:16 PM

Default question about open carry in "great outdoors"

I tried searching, but most posts I found had to do with unrestricted shooting on BLM property. Cool idea, but not what I'm looking for. And I'm also not interested in hunting. My question has to do with open carry of a rifle (for protection, not hunting or plinking) in any type of wilderness lands in California.

Lets say I'm going hiking in an area with a known population of bear and big cats. Is a rifle permitted in __________? (federal land, state parks, county parks, city parks, other categories that I can't think of?)

Thanks.
Old 05-29-2006, 1:34 PM
glen avon

the answer is "___."
Old 05-29-2006, 2:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen avon
the answer is "___."
LOL! Good answer!

It would help to know where you want to go.

When in doubt, the best source of information would be the local BLM / USFS office to where you are going. Just give them a call.
Old 05-29-2006, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subway
I tried searching, but most posts I found had to do with unrestricted shooting on BLM property. Cool idea, but not what I'm looking for. And I'm also not interested in hunting. My question has to do with open carry of a rifle (for protection, not hunting or plinking) in any type of wilderness lands in California.

Lets say I'm going hiking in an area with a known population of bear and big cats. Is a rifle permitted in __________? (federal land, state parks, county parks, city parks, other categories that I can't think of?)

Thanks.
Easy, download yourself a copy of California Firearms Laws.
www.ag.ca.gov It will tell you everything. My understanding, in general, I said "in general" you can not open carry in State Parks let alone County Parks and City Parks. Your best protection in open carry in National Park, BLM and the like is to have a valid hunting license. And there is something about county population too that limit you from open carry.
Old 05-30-2006, 9:39 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python2
........... Your best protection in open carry in National Park, BLM and the like is to have a valid hunting license. ............
National Parks and Monuments have special regulations regarding the possession of weapons. You need to check regulations for each and everyone you are thinking of taking a firearm into, with or without a hunting license. Now you will find some variations on the general response given, with even some allowing it in certain areas (i.e Denali NP - but only newer addition area), but for the most part expect the response to be something along the lines of:

QUOTE:
Use of weapons is prohibited within the park. Possession of a firearm or air-gun is prohibited unless it is unloaded and cased or otherwise packed to prevent use. Any implement designed to discharge missiles in the air (bow and arrow, crossbow, etc.) is also illegal.
UNQUOTE
"The cat is out of the bag. We cannot buy back all of the series clones. We do not want to allow registration, so I think we're stuck with SB 23 being the vehicle to regulate them" ---- Dep. Attorney General A. Merrilees writes to Brady Center on May 15, 2006 @ 11:22 am
Old 05-31-2006, 12:03 AM

Even most USFS land now only allows discharge of weapons in lawful pursuit of game. Also, there are many county restricted rifle/pistol/shotgun areas.
Your best bet to carry would be to get a hunting license and stick to USFS and BLM land. Coyotes are always in season. Even if you don't really want to hunt - there's your justification.
You still have to check with every local area, though.

If you have some specific areas you're thinking of; someone might know those details.
Old 05-31-2006, 7:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter
National Parks and Monuments have special regulations regarding the possession of weapons. You need to check regulations for each and everyone you are thinking of taking a firearm into, with or without a hunting license. Now you will find some variations on the general response given, with even some allowing it in certain areas (i.e Denali NP - but only newer addition area), but for the most part expect the response to be something along the lines of:

QUOTE:
Use of weapons is prohibited within the park. Possession of a firearm or air-gun is prohibited unless it is unloaded and cased or otherwise packed to prevent use. Any implement designed to discharge missiles in the air (bow and arrow, crossbow, etc.) is also illegal.
UNQUOTE
Sorry, I did not mean "National Park" I really meant "National Forest"
Old 05-31-2006, 8:12 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python2
Sorry, I did not mean "National Park" I really meant "National Forest"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseanna Roseannadanna
Never mind, that's different