Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 09-29-2010, 6:57 PM
Veteran Member

Default Ruger Mini-30 (MY REVIEW)

so i recently acquired one and havent taken it out to the range yet. since this thread is basically over ran with ARs and AKs. im kinda hoping someone else owns one, likes and dislikes, ammo choices etc.... any input is greatly appreciated.

First and foremost id like to thank everybody that gave me personal feedback on the rifle. it did exactly as most of you had stated.

i went to LA Gun Club earlier today and bought some of their reloaded stuff. it sucked, BAD. i had to hand cycle the son of a *****. it angered me deeply. so i complained, and they gave me some surplus ammo. boy did i have a grin on my face. thats all it needed. steel cased, cheap ammo. it loved it, i loved it.

i will also do as most of you had said, hammer spring is weak as hell for some of the surplus rounds. so i will order it tomorrow morning.
"We bury you now still while you breathe Dead as the void that you've left here in me Deeper and deeper spent memories Cremating all that would bear your disease An end is what you wanted, the end is what you'll receive Onward into battle forever we soldier unflinchingly undying and free"

Last edited by Im Broken; 10-02-2010 at 12:28 AM..
Old 09-30-2010, 6:46 PM

I own a Mini-30 and basically it is a piece of junk! Definately not on par with their revolvers. It is not accurate and though it looks alot like a M1 Carbine it does not break down for cleaning as easy. Can be a ***** to get back together. Should have bought another pistol or another AR.
Old 09-30-2010, 6:55 PM
Veteran Member

My 1st centerfire rifle was a Mini-30. It was a great rifle. It ate everything I fed it. More accurate than I was. I have no complaints. If bullet buttons/ mag locks/etc... hadn't been discovered, a lot more people would be running Mini-30's these days in CA.
Old 09-30-2010, 7:08 PM

my buddy and I put about 100 rounds through his, it jammed the casing up probably half a dozen times.
it did not like the egyptian or the wolf ammo.
have something handy you can push slide against to help eject the casing.
Old 09-30-2010, 7:55 PM

Thousands of rounds through my Mini-30 (probably close to 7000 or so over the last few years. Accuracy within minute of mellon at 100 yards or better. Definitley within minute of potato at 70 yards. Eats anything I put through it. Wolf, Barnaul, Golden Tiger, Golden Bear, Silver Bear, S.African surplus, PMC, Remington, Winchester, Yugo surplus(clean for corrosive ammo accordingly) I did put in a heavier hammer spring so I could shoot the hard primer Russian steel cased ammo. Not a single failure to fire since then. Cleaning is simple if you know how to read instructions and can follow them. Don't be intimidated by the haters. Mini-30 is a fine little rifle. Failure to feed, failure to extract or eject problems are usually magazine related. You just have to diagnose it and adjust magazine and magazine lips accordingly. c good

Last edited by c good; 09-30-2010 at 7:58 PM..
Old 09-30-2010, 9:29 PM
Veteran Member

damn. mixed reviews. well i read a great deal online, and it was the same thing. i guess ima have to shoot it till i feel convinced. whats the negative reviews about wolf ammo????
"We bury you now still while you breathe Dead as the void that you've left here in me Deeper and deeper spent memories Cremating all that would bear your disease An end is what you wanted, the end is what you'll receive Onward into battle forever we soldier unflinchingly undying and free"
Old 09-30-2010, 11:22 PM

A lot of rifles can be finicky about the steel casings and such, just try some different combinations and see what works best with you and you'll be fine - fun rifle to take to the range
Old 09-30-2010, 11:40 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im Broken View Post
whats the negative reviews about wolf ammo????
My Mini 30 has trouble shooting most commie stuff. For awhile, only 3-4 rounds on average would actually fire per mag. Lots of: pull trigger, click, chamber new round, pull trigger, click, chamber new round, and so on. All the rounds I ejected seemed to have very light primer strikes.

Somewhat recently, I gave my Mini's bolt and firing pin an intensive cleaning/lubing and now I get about 7 rounds to fire per mag. I also found that the type of trigger pull I used (slow steady squeeze vs. fast heavy pull) had an impact on whether it would fire or not

My Mini 30 is definitely the most unreliable and frustrating gun I own. I also refuse to give up on it though.
Andrew J.
Old 10-01-2010, 3:32 AM

Notice everyone that said it is unreliable shoot crapy ammo. I own a newer mini 30 and only shoot winchester or fiocci brass ammo and get no fail to fire.Useing steel cased ammo is like puting bad gas in your car and wondering why it doesnt run right.
Old 10-01-2010, 5:39 AM
Veteran Member

I recently bought a new (series 581-) Mini 30 and I like it a lot. I've taken it to the range twice now, the second time with a scope attached, and it's reasonably accurate. I say reasonably because, while it's not a tack driver like my M1A or my scoped Savage (both of those in 7.62x51) it wasn't meant to be so. Still, the newer Minis (580- and 581- series) have a slightly heavier barrel than the originals, which contributes to greater accuracy. Also, the newer Mini 30s have barrels designed for shooting the cheaper Com-Bloc ammo which is .311 diameter. Older models had .308 barrels which possibly contributed to their legendary inaccuracy.

As far as reliability, my Mini has eaten everything I've fed it so far, Wolf, Golden Bear, Yugo milsurp, Ammo Brothers reloads, stuff found on the floor at the range, etc. This Ruger acts like a Ruger. Whatever shortcomings the Mini series mightve had in the past, I believe they've resolved them, or else I got an unusually good one.

Breakdown is very easy as long as you follow the directions. Since I was already familiar with the M1A, takedown for me was, if anything, even easier and simpler on the Mini than on the M1A. I suppose it might not be as simple as an AR or a FAL, but it's not difficult by any means.

Here's a pic of mine:

Old 10-01-2010, 7:45 AM

Shoot all the steel cased you want. Just remember they have hard primers. Replace the hammer spring with the Wolf extra power SKU #30351, $7.49 and you won't have any trouble.

Also, steel ammo usually uses primer sealer, it's a good idea to take the bolt out occasionally, and flush the firing pin channel out with an aerosol cleaner, (brake cleaner) then compressed air to get all the little sealant particles out.

This prevents the firing pin from getting gummed up.

The steel ammo does wear out the extractor a little faster but I have yet to have to replace one. My buddy has had one break over the last 20 years, so It's not a bad idea to keep an extra one around along with a spring and plunger, just incase you have a failure at the range....very slim chance but it does happen. HTH c good
Old 10-01-2010, 8:30 AM

Default mini-30

Quote:
Originally Posted by c good View Post
Shoot all the steel cased you want. Just remember they have hard primers. Replace the hammer spring with the Wolf extra power SKU #30351, $7.49 and you won't have any trouble. A
What he said.

Minis are love/hate, I love mine.

With Magazines, I've found that this type works & these don't

Used to be able to get the "ones that work" from CDNN for $8.00 They are "U.S.A. Magazines". They're kind of hard to find now. I see them at gunshows sometimes. I have a bunch & they all feed perfect. I've tried Promag, John Masen & Eagle & they all suck.
Old 10-01-2010, 8:35 AM

Works ok with domestic 7.62x39 and standard Ruger magazines.

You might have problems in the following areas
Crap after-market magazines.
Light primer strikes... failures to fire on import ammo with hard primers. Need aftermarket hammer spring.
Average accuracy.
The trigger group takedown mechanism can sometimes get loose, to where it becomes unlatched when the rifle is fired.
Old 10-01-2010, 9:15 AM
Calguns Addict

I started with a mini-14 for my first rifle way back when. I have shot several mini-30s. They are not noted for being tack drivers. But they are rugged and reliable. And easy to maintain. If you are using laquered steel case ammo, clean the bolt like the other poster said, and the chamber too on a regular basis, and it should be fine. If you are having problems with hard primers, replace the hammer spring as the other poster suggested. Your accuracy will be less than that of an AR, but better than an AK. With proper care, you will be able to pass it on to your grandchildren some day. The mini-30 is like a modern version of the old .30-30 lever actions. About the same power and accuracy. Use it like that and you will be happy. Expecting it to work like a good bolt action rifle or a match AR is unrealistic. And definately not what it was designed to do.
Old 10-01-2010, 9:23 AM
Veteran Member

I've yet to head down to the range and try it out. I'm really excited about it actually. I bought it pre-owned and the guy said he fired less than 100 rds without a problem. Granted it, it was all brass. We will see.
Old 10-01-2010, 9:32 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gun toting monkeyboy View Post
I started with a mini-14 for my first rifle way back when. I have shot several mini-30s. They are not noted for being tack drivers. But they are rugged and reliable. And easy to maintain. If you are using laquered steel case ammo, clean the bolt like the other poster said, and the chamber too on a regular basis, and it should be fine. If you are having problems with hard primers, replace the hammer spring as the other poster suggested. Your accuracy will be less than that of an AR, but better than an AK. With proper care, you will be able to pass it on to your grandchildren some day. The mini-30 is like a modern version of the old .30-30 lever actions. About the same power and accuracy. Use it like that and you will be happy. Expecting it to work like a good bolt action rifle or a match AR is unrealistic. And definately not what it was designed to do.
I'm not really looking for great accuracy, I enjoy shooting and most of all it'll be more of a plinking rifle. I will take up your guys' advice on replacing the hammer spring.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:22 PM
Veteran Member

First and foremost id like to thank everybody that gave me personal feedback on the rifle. it did exactly as most of you had stated.

i went to LA Gun Club earlier today and bought some of their reloaded stuff. it sucked, BAD. i had to hand cycle the son of a *****. it angered me deeply. so i complained, and they gave me some surplus ammo. boy did i have a grin on my face. thats all it needed. steel cased, cheap ammo. it loved it, i loved it.

i will also do as most of you had said, hammer spring is weak as hell for some of the surplus rounds. so i will order it tomorrow morning.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:31 PM
Veteran Member

can someone help me re-edit my original thread title. thanks,