Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 05-25-2006, 3:48 PM

Default Headed to Los Padres NF. Need Info.

Hey guys,
so im heading to los padres NF (Monterey and Santa Lucia area) next week and was wondering if anyone has any pointers to good campsites. Mainly looking for easy access by truck or on foot not to far from where i would park, good hiking, nature viewing, oh and shooting This will be my first time out to the area and i dont want to be stumbling around with just a map. Thanks
Old 05-25-2006, 4:41 PM
Veteran Member

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/lospadres/
Old 05-25-2006, 10:14 PM

yeah well i was looking for more first hand experience
Old 05-26-2006, 5:47 AM
Veteran Member

I've been there many years ago. Mostly in the Kirk Creek and Plaskett. Nacimiento Rd. at the top looked like the only place to shoot. Pretty up and down country. But there are a few ground squirrels to shoot at here and there. And the USFS doesn't want any shooting west of the highway. You also should check CalTrans to make sure the Hwy 1 is open. Hope this helps.
Old 05-26-2006, 6:18 AM
glen avon

watch out for outlaw bikers posing was weedend bikers trying to look like outlaw bikers....
Old 06-01-2006, 3:02 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Before you go just shooting you may want to check the laws with that. Most National Forest have regs regarding that. I know Los Angeles is a no no, ONLY in the pursuit of game and many others have gone the same way.
Old 06-01-2006, 3:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElBandito
Hey guys,
so im heading to los padres NF (Monterey and Santa Lucia area) next week and was wondering if anyone has any pointers to good campsites. Mainly looking for easy access by truck or on foot not to far from where i would park, good hiking, nature viewing, oh and shooting This will be my first time out to the area and i dont want to be stumbling around with just a map. Thanks
Santa Lucia has some pigs, don't bother at Big Sur or Monterey side.
Old 06-03-2006, 5:22 AM

Los Padres is a beautiful area. A bunch of buddies had thought we found a place that we could visit annually up off of Indians road. Unfortunately a spoiled cranky local who got the land through inherritence put an end to that. The rules for target shooting (according to the forestry ranger that visited us and read us the riot act) are you have to be 1 mile from ANY road. You also technically can shoot in a designated camp site. And we also were told we couldn't shoot OVER any road either. With as many rules as this lady quoted us, I'm suprised we didn't end up with any citations. She said rules for shooting (not sure about hunting) have gotten much more strict over the years because people have been very careless and abusive of the land (littering, shooting non-game wildlife, etc). To avoid trouble I reccomend you find somewhere very out of the way. Avoid any of the grandfathered ranches, especially the guy in the Merle Ranch.
Old 07-05-2006, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbea_pro
Avoid any of the grandfathered ranches, especially the guy in the Merle Ranch.
I know where that ranch is, but have never met anyone from there. Just curious, what is so bad about that guy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbea_pro
The rules for target shooting (according to the forestry ranger that visited us and read us the riot act) are you have to be 1 mile from ANY road.
The problem is in the valley you are talking about, there is no point at least one mile from the road. That is, you are up in the hills by that point, and I personally don't like to haul ammo/targets more than 20 yards from the car. Though I still hear gunshots in the valley. There's also no shooting at all during the warmer months of the year.
Old 07-07-2006, 8:28 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElBandito
Hey guys,
Ponderosa Camp is appx 1/2 mile west of the west entrance to Fort HL. If you want to pass through FHL, you'll need your current Driver's License, current registration, current proof of insurance, and if you're carrying guns, a current Hunting License.

Yea, a hunting license. And I'm not kidding about "current".

Make sure the guns are stored properly, empty, WITH THE ACTIONS OPEN.

DO NOT SPEED on FHL.

Call ahead to make sure there are no unusual security closures.
Old 07-08-2006, 3:58 PM

Sounds like you've had a few problems with the deputies at the gate, tcrpe.

It was so much nicer before 9/11, when they never even manned it.
Old 07-09-2006, 9:00 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creeping Incrementalism
Sounds like you've had a few problems with the deputies at the gate, tcrpe.

It was so much nicer before 9/11, when they never even manned it.

Well, I wasn't denied entry, but they did have some grunts out on a training mission manning the gates. I even produced my passport.

Here's a little more on hunting/shooting in LPNF:

Hunting and Target Shooting

Hunting
Hunting is a popular activity in Los Padres National Forest. Game species include mule deer, black bear, wild pig, rabbit, wild turkey, quail, dove, band-tailed pigeon and chukar.
Most areas of the forest are open to hunting; however, certain areas are closed year round to any discharge of firearms for any purpose, including hunting and target shooting. These areas are indicated on the forest Visitor Map as "Restricted Use Areas" and include, but are not limited to, the Sisquoc and Sespe Condor Sanctuaries, several recreation areas, and areas around communities and organization camps.

All federal, state and local laws apply to hunters on federal land. Information on hunting regulations, seasons, licenses and restrictions is available from the California Department of Fish and Game, local sporting goods stores and other licensing agents.

Please consider using non-lead ammunition whenever possible to reduce the threat of lead poisoning of wildlife, including the endangered California condor. Also, please remove or bury all gut piles.

Firearm Safety

The following rules apply when hunting in Los Padres National Forest:

No discharging of a firearm within 150 yards of a dwelling or other building, campground, recreation site or other occupied area.
No discharging of a firearm on or across a National Forest System Road or a body of water adjacent thereto, or in any manner or place whereby any person or property is exposed to injury or damage as a result of such discharge.
Hunting on private land requires permission from the landowner.
All Federal, State and local laws apply to hunters on Federal land.
Target Shooting
Recreational target shooting is another popular activity. Target shooters should contact their local Ranger District office for information on where target shooting is allowed. Do not discharge firearms from a road, across a road, across a body of water, or within 150 yards of a campground or inhabited area. Respect private property. Use paper targets. Do not use trees, signs, fence posts, glass, plastics or appliances as targets. Always clean up after yourself…pack out all litter. Recreational target shooting may be prohibited during fire season.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrpe
Well, I wasn't denied entry, but they did have some grunts out on a training mission manning the gates. I even produced my passport.

Here's a little more on hunting/shooting in LPNF:

Hunting and Target Shooting

Hunting
Hunting is a popular activity in Los Padres National Forest. Game species include mule deer, black bear, wild pig, rabbit, wild turkey, quail, dove, band-tailed pigeon and chukar.
Most areas of the forest are open to hunting; however, certain areas are closed year round to any discharge of firearms for any purpose, including hunting and target shooting. These areas are indicated on the forest Visitor Map as "Restricted Use Areas" and include, but are not limited to, the Sisquoc and Sespe Condor Sanctuaries, several recreation areas, and areas around communities and organization camps.

All federal, state and local laws apply to hunters on federal land. Information on hunting regulations, seasons, licenses and restrictions is available from the California Department of Fish and Game, local sporting goods stores and other licensing agents.

Please consider using non-lead ammunition whenever possible to reduce the threat of lead poisoning of wildlife, including the endangered California condor. Also, please remove or bury all gut piles.

Firearm Safety

The following rules apply when hunting in Los Padres National Forest:

No discharging of a firearm within 150 yards of a dwelling or other building, campground, recreation site or other occupied area.
No discharging of a firearm on or across a National Forest System Road or a body of water adjacent thereto, or in any manner or place whereby any person or property is exposed to injury or damage as a result of such discharge.
Hunting on private land requires permission from the landowner.
All Federal, State and local laws apply to hunters on Federal land.
Target Shooting
Recreational target shooting is another popular activity. Target shooters should contact their local Ranger District office for information on where target shooting is allowed. Do not discharge firearms from a road, across a road, across a body of water, or within 150 yards of a campground or inhabited area. Respect private property. Use paper targets. Do not use trees, signs, fence posts, glass, plastics or appliances as targets. Always clean up after yourself…pack out all litter. Recreational target shooting may be prohibited during fire season.

There was a letter posted here on the old CalGuns site around 2002 that showed USFS AW policy. Basically it said that Los Padres is ok with AW's. Persons have permission as long as the weapon is legal with state ect, ect.... The letter was dated Nov 20 1991 (I think) and was from the Pacific Southwest Regional office.