Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 09-25-2010, 11:54 PM

Default Coyote Hunting in San Diego (questions)

Hey guys, I completed my safety course today and would like to shoot some coyotes around San Diego. I need to get some maps of the area and find what spots are accessible by sedan. I plan on either using my non free float 16" BCM upper AR with a Prostaff 3-9x40 or my Mossberg 500. My question for you guys is...what does a newbie need in terms of gear and ammo to get started hunting coyotes?

Also I use a pair of bushy 7x50's for fishing, is this typical to use for glassing earth walkers?

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited by MoBait; 09-26-2010 at 12:05 AM.. Reason: Grammar was not on par with my 7th grade cognitive abilities.
Old 09-26-2010, 8:25 AM

You can use those while looking from the truck or before you make your stands but binoculars put too much movent into the setup while on stand.
If you have a couple of hand calls and some camoflage,which is not a must, then you should be good to go.
Those weapons are great, get some #4 buck for the scattergun and some hollow point ammo for the AR and go gettum.

The car will keep you from some good areas but you can find places to hunt in a car.
Old 09-26-2010, 8:35 AM

My son and I hunt the San Felipe Wilderness area off the 78 and S2 highway east of Ramona. Lots of people hunt Cuyamaca also. Remember sun to your back and wind to your face is always something to remember.

We always prepare for the worst if we venture really far from a road say over 5 miles. Some may think overkill but you never know what can happen out there so I bring a handheld GPS a small flashlight, matches and what not. We use a shooting stick and camoflauge but you don't have to. Water and light snacks and extra ammo. I holster my Glock 19 for any close calls which may be small but its better than nothing. Also bring a knife and rain poncho's and a few extra batteries for you electronic stuff.

If your near, just travel light. Guns and ammo and knife only.

We use a Foxpro electronic caller with remote. For me, It gets tiring with a mouth caller. I don't use binoculars while hunting. You have limited field of view and yotes always try to flank you so just your eyes can pick up movement. Stay still at your stand and move only your eyes to scan the area. Move your head slowly if you need to.

Last edited by Gunfighter420; 09-26-2010 at 8:40 AM..
Old 09-26-2010, 8:36 AM

Stop by the Forestry Service Office in Rancho Bernardo and pick up a set of BLM and CNF maps.
Us Forestry Dept.
(858) 673-6180

10845 Rancho Bernardo Rd # 200
San Diego, CA 92127 33.02235 -117.095268
Old 09-26-2010, 1:57 PM
Veteran Member

lot's of access by car, I always see yotes in san felipe valley. Contact BLM get their maps as well.
Old 09-26-2010, 4:54 PM

hey man ive never been and ive been wanting to go for a while and i have my lic. i have a lifted suburban if you wanna carpool. i have a similar set up on my ar except i have a red dot sight(i could always pull my simmons 3x9 off my .22 and throw it on there.)
Old 09-26-2010, 9:27 PM
Veteran Member

GunFighter 420,
I have been in that area but is it just shotgun only? Tried hunting that area once and had a tough time with the bird hunters, they were pissed that I had a rifle, no shots fired and did not see anything saying shotgun only.
Thanks
Old 03-29-2011, 11:02 PM

do you have to have a permit to hunt coyote?
I also completed my hunter ed class and have a 22 LR

any tips?
Old 03-29-2011, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsukikkun View Post
do you have to have a permit to hunt coyote?
I also completed my hunter ed class and have a 22 LR

any tips?
22lr will kill a yote, but it is on the light side. Better off with a centerfire.
No permits/tags for yotes. Just a current license. You can hunt Non-Game and Small-Game with just a lic.
Extras are Upland Bird Stamp, Duck Stamps, Deer tags, Bear tag, Bobcat tags, and Pig tags.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:43 PM

What hunting experience do you have? Yotes are challenging. I tried for nearly two years (over 120 stands) w/o ever firing at one. You cannot move, misread the wind or call inproperly and still have a successful outcome. It is the most challenging thing I have tried. Get a 22-250, .223 or .243 or .270. You may have to shoot at 200 yards if they hang up and your .22 ain't up to it.
Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction, and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

The U.S. city with the most restrictive gun laws in the nation, Washington, D.C., has the highest murder rate at 24 per 100,000.
The state with the most unrestrictive gun regulations, Vermont, has the lowest murder rate at 0.48 per 100,000.
Old 11-18-2011, 2:38 PM

Default hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoffensive View Post
hey man ive never been and ive been wanting to go for a while and i have my lic. i have a lifted suburban if you wanna carpool. i have a similar set up on my ar except i have a red dot sight(i could always pull my simmons 3x9 off my .22 and throw it on there.)
I'm always looking for a hunting buddy, I've never been coyote hunting either. If you ever want to meet up hit me up.
Old 11-18-2011, 3:55 PM

would anyone recommend trying it this weekend? I know it may rain don't know f that effects it at all
Old 11-18-2011, 8:33 PM

Hi everyone, I'm new. I am trying to get into coyote and pig hunting. I am up for a trip anytime. I just don't know where to go.
Old 11-19-2011, 4:23 AM
Banned

We need to start killing the rabbits in San Diego. With everyone killing the coyotes the rabbits are getting over populated.
Old 11-19-2011, 5:42 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTp View Post
We need to start killing the rabbits in San Diego. With everyone killing the coyotes the rabbits are getting over populated.
Thats really not the way it works. Rabbit numbers control the predator numbers, not the other way around. When predator populations are low rabbit numbers are low, when rabbit numbers are high predator numbers are high. Look up the old study following Lynx and Hare populations.
Old 11-19-2011, 3:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominic View Post
Thats really not the way it works. Rabbit numbers control the predator numbers, not the other way around. When predator populations are low rabbit numbers are low, when rabbit numbers are high predator numbers are high. Look up the old study following Lynx and Hare populations.
I have read the Lynx and Snow Hare study. And I do believe its correct but with a little twist. The study says that the vegetation that the rabbits need to survive, needs time to grow back, but what if it dose not need that time. The Lyn and Snow hare study is based on an area with natural seasons and cycles of plan life. Less vegetation from the weather and from overpopulation of rabbits = less rabbits and less predators in that area. But in San Diego where the plans grow all year long the rabbits have an abundance of food. So if people hunt more predators and rabbits are allowed to expand their territory then their population will sore. They are no longer trying to hide their presents from coyotes or humans.

I base this on no scientific study just what I know from growing up on a farm in South Carolina. We use to kill coyotes and bobcats to keep them from getting to our cows, pigs and goats, but soon realized that we were getting over run with rabbits. After most of the predators were killed the rabbits went from a small 2 acres to taking over our whole 40 acres. At night we would see about 10 to 15 rabbits in our pasture but after about a year of steady predator hunting we were seeing 50 to 60 rabbits out in the pasture. They would destroy our crops and all of our vegetables. So now we do rabbit hunts at night and eat a lot or rabbit stew and rabbit jerky

Now I'm not trying to be some kind of population growth guru and dispute scientific theories, I'm just speaking from experience.

Last edited by SGTp; 11-19-2011 at 3:33 PM..
Old 11-19-2011, 9:02 PM

point me in the directions of the rabbits.

I'm up for any kind of hunting. Rabbits, coyotes, pig, birds, crows.

I'm game for anything.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:46 AM

yotes are hard, been predator calling for 3 years and have only had a few in my reticle, and none of which got put on the ground. my personal advice, avoid the heartache, buy BF3 and spend your time on the playstation.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member

I see yotes and bobcats almost every time I am out deer hunting here in SD County, could have whacked 'em but don't want to make the noise. Saw a seriously large bobcat this week, he was stalking a squirrel about 150 yards away, I barely moved and he busted me just like that.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:41 AM

I'm just looking to find an area to go. Public would be great. If anyone wants to come along I don't mind. I go Upland bird hunting up in California City but nothing else really. I'd like to get into predator hunting.

Thanks

EDIT: even if someone knows a ranch that will let us hunt it. I'm game...

Last edited by _Lord_Of_War_; 11-20-2011 at 3:21 PM.. Reason: addtional info
Old 11-20-2011, 3:49 PM

I have to say hunting dogs is one of the easiest sports there is. You take a shotgun and go out in the woods, blow into a piece of plastic/ wood and the animal comes to you.
Makes for a good time.
http://www.aandmanimalcontrol.com/

http://www.sandiegoskunkremoval.com/
http://www.skunkremovallajolla.biz/
Old 11-20-2011, 11:04 PM

I called 2 dogs in on my first stand ever 3 years ago then went blank for a year and a half. Its not hard, but its not easy. Learn from mistakes. Heres some tips I like to use. As stated, watch the wind direction and the sun. NEVER hunt during a full/semi full moon. I cant call my own pet dog with a bright moon. I dont know what it is about the bright moon but where im at, the dogs DO NOT respond. Hunt after storms, not before (not sure on this, not too many storms in the high desert). Dont take a shot unless you are confident your going to hit. You miss, you educate the dog. Red dots suck especially at night. I tried telling my friend this but he HAD to get that fancy reflex sight. Hes looking for a scope now. Anticipate where the dog will come from before you start calling (trail, wash, road, etc) Expect the dog to come from the totally opposite area! Thats all I can think of for now.
Get out there and do it. Its tough, exhausting, frustrating, and awesome all at the same time. When everything lines up and you drop that first yote itll all be worth it. Ask my 13yo daughter about that!!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 11-21-2011, 9:02 PM

I'm with Baxter on this one, are coyotes smart? Sure but they are still just animals and are not dificult to kill. If you hunt for coyotes more than a few trips out without seeing one then you are doing something wrong and should re think what you are doing and figure out what the problem is.