Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 05-23-2006, 8:48 PM

Default Aimpoint clone

I saw these on sale at http://www.rbprecision.com/id7.htm

Anyone have any info.

The New S.P.O.T. (Superior Precision Optical Technology) Mark III red dot sight

This is a HOT new red dot non magnified optic, it is almost identical in size and shape to the Aimpoint Comp Series sight. Some of the incredible value benefits of this sight are:

High Speed No Parallax red dot (this means eye relief and scope alignment are not an issue!)

Four Minute of angle target dot.

Over 150 hours of battery life before dot starts to fade

Water resistant (Not proof!)

Anti Fog coating

Flip lens covers

Comes with a KILLER Scope mount, cantilever type with a heavy duty six screw mounted ring.

Adjustment caps retained with rubber strap.

THE BEST BENEFIT IS THE INCREDIBLE INTRODUCTORY AND OUR MONTHLY SPECIAL PRICE OF $149.00 plus shipping

Old 05-23-2006, 8:56 PM
Veteran Member

I have a TacPoint which is a good knock off of the aimpoint. Only problem I have with it is: not very bright dot (even with new batteries).

Don't know if an Aimpoint is better but my OKO's are super bright.
Old 05-23-2006, 8:59 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

There is alot of info at ar15.com in the optics section including a full write up.

Off the top of my head: save your $$ get a Aimpoint unless its for airsoft.

Ive owned a few red dots and none came close to the Military contract type sights. Ive really liked the Doctors type sight but not sure they can hold up liek the others.

Even the cheaper "reflex" from Trigicon has issues, it took me awhile to find teh dot.
Old 05-23-2006, 9:05 PM

Save the money and get a aimpoint. They are just better, all the way around! And then get the 2moa dot. and if you add the 3X extender you will have the best of both worlds. I have NO regrets.
Old 05-23-2006, 9:14 PM

I'm buying a Eotech for 1 of my rifles, just thinking of trying one of these on one of the others.
Old 05-23-2006, 9:23 PM

If you already have the 149 they're asking you're almost half way to an aimpoint. I'd keep on saving.

I do own a tacpoint by the way, only use it for range use and its done ok so far. I hear the spot is better construction and glass though.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:10 AM

I believe there is someone on ar15.com offering Aimpoint clones for $65+$10 shipping. NIB
Old 05-24-2006, 9:59 AM

oh good lord.. here goes the "get the real thing..its wayyyy better"

yes yes, I'll agree it's better..its tougher..its got a warranty.. etc etc..

People always say "get this.." or "get that..." It's similar to what people use to think about Intel vs. AMD computer chips back in the day.. Those who weren't fully informed, would always say, "INTEL.." those who knew what the limitations (and gains) were, would make the educated choice between the two and pick the CPU that best fit the purpose of the PC..

My point is to know what you want before you buy it.. if you're LEO, Military, going in harms way, then yes.. i would happily spend twice the amount of the aimpoint to get the right gear.. but if all I was planning to do was shoot rocks/metal plates..etc.. then yes, i think a clone would've been sufficient..

Im not military/leo/going in harms way.. i barely even shoot my AR.. im just some dood with too much time and money on his hands that decided to buy a real M3 2moa Aimpoint instead of the clone.. But yes, I did debate getting a clone, but in the end.. all these people saying "get the real deal" or "dont buy cheap" had nothing to do with it.. You either need to get the "good stuff" or you dont.. and when i say "need", it's a very subjective term..

I'll post a picture of my M4fgery some day.. ive got my 14.5 Bushie upper w/M3 in a larue cantilever mount... It has the Knights UK RAS with a TD VFG.. LMT BUIS... all on the LCW Lower w/ SOPMOD stock and SPR grip w/ a Knights 2 stage trigger... I didnt need any of this.. i had the money and i had the silly notion of 'wanting' it..

get what you want.. dont listen to "need" type advice that is of course, unless you're in the "need" type position In which case, it's silly to even ask if you should get a clone.. listen to anyone wiht first hand experience.. ask the questions like, "does it hold zero.. does it fog.. how good are the optics..?" this is the type of information you should respond to.. not the "get the real ***** cause clones aint the real *****"..

I personally do not own a clone.. but ARF.com had a nice thread on it.. apparently some of the clones hold up quite well to "civillain" use.. go to ARF and do some searching over there..it may prove to be more useful.. but i gotta warn you about the anti-cloners.. they're very hardcore about getting the real stuff..

Last edited by PistolKidd; 05-24-2006 at 10:03 AM..
Old 05-25-2006, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member

I have an Aimpoint RDS clone, bought from jackyiscxd over at ar15.com, but I haven't seen his ads there for a while. He's on ebay as 1337tactical, if you can get over that - http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQ...assZjackyiscxd

Mine was $75 with a sturdy cantilever mount. It's got an all metal body. Other folks gave it very good reviews, so I popped for one.

It's held up fine so far - no zero shifts, good return to zero when remounted, and the mount has been very sturdy. I've run it on a couple of ARs, and most recently on my .22 AR. I've been very happy with it for the price.

There are only 2 issues with it:

- The dot's bright, even at the lowest setting. At the highest setting, it's got a good bit of flare, and is glaringly bright.

- The plastic parts - endcaps, adjustment covers - had a strong plastic smell that I don't care for. It's gone away over time.

I highly doubt I'll ever have the opportunity to break it in a SHTF situation. So far, it's been 100% reliable and repeatable in my light range usage.

Here's a pic of it mounted on my AR .22, where I get a good absolute co-witness with it:

max

Last edited by maxicon; 05-25-2006 at 11:47 AM..
Old 05-25-2006, 4:53 PM

I just ordered one from the 1337tactical guy so we will see. As far as I can tell, they work well for the price. Frankly I cannot justify spending $500 on an Aimpoint. There are more important things to me than how "legit" my optics are. It will do when the zombies come for me. or I can just rip it off and go irons. Either way it will be fun to try it.
Old 05-25-2006, 4:58 PM
shopkeep

EOTech. Nuff said.
Old 05-27-2006, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schizrade2
I just ordered one from the 1337tactical guy so we will see. As far as I can tell, they work well for the price. Frankly I cannot justify spending $500 on an Aimpoint. There are more important things to me than how "legit" my optics are. It will do when the zombies come for me. or I can just rip it off and go irons. Either way it will be fun to try it.
When you get it, take some photos and let us know how it works. ;-)
Old 05-27-2006, 10:04 PM

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=253934

I have a SPOT that i'm going to put on my 10mm AR when it's done. I've taken it outside in bright sunlight and had no problems seeing the red dot. I bought it for target shooting not home defense.

Last edited by sned45; 05-27-2006 at 10:23 PM..
Old 05-27-2006, 10:05 PM
Veteran Member

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...802#post269802
Old 05-28-2006, 12:58 AM

Does anyone know of EOTech clones? Or any other Halo sights?
Old 05-28-2006, 3:23 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sned45

I have a SPOT that i'm going to put on my 10mm AR when it's done. I've taken it outside in bright sunlight and had no problems seeing the red dot. I bought it for target shooting not home defense.

that link is actualy a prety funny read. I have been considering buying a S.P.O.T. but i am not real shure what to put it on. I have a a2 20" ar-10 but I was planning on leaving that on a iron sight gun. I already have a 552 on my 14" car. I would like to hear how you like it one thin I can say for sure.... stay away from NcStar dots
Old 05-28-2006, 7:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamkwong
Does anyone know of EOTech clones? Or any other Halo sights?
I havent heard of any eotech clones. You can get the bushnell holosight which is almost like it.

The guy who sells the aimpoint clones on ARF.COM also sells an ACOG clone but you have to email him about it as he doesnt advertise it for some reason.
Old 05-28-2006, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member

Part of the problem here is that there are a bunch of different clones that people sell for $40-$200+.

Since none of them have manufacturer's markings, you don't really know when you buy from some random ad or ebay auction whether you're getting bottomfeeder airsoft junk or decent quality clones.

Chinese manufacturers will make this stuff as cheaply as possible, or to much tighter specs, depending on how much the buyer wants to pay them, and they're capable of making very decent stuff.

Now, I like to play with a wide variety of optics, but I'm not really interested in getting a bunch of $500 scopes, because it's just a hobby (beyond a few basic pieces of high-reliability gear), and I've got kids going into college.

I won't buy cheap clone stuff unless I've seen multiple positive reports on quality. So far, that's worked OK for me. YMMV, as always.

max
Old 05-31-2006, 12:21 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

did you get it?
Old 12-01-2006, 1:16 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sned45

so how do you like your S.P.O.T. ? Where did you get it?
Old 12-01-2006, 1:53 AM
Veteran Member

FractionalFlyer swears by Trijicon. He's not a big fan of EOTECH and Aimpoint; too many failures and over-priced.

Considering he has $30-40,000 worth of guns and can build the ARs we can't, I'll take his word for it.

Last edited by Dr. Peter Venkman; 12-01-2006 at 1:56 AM..