Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-21-2010, 8:56 PM
TacoJockey's Avatar
TacoJockey TacoJockey is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Folsom
Posts: 409
iTrader: 25 / 100%
Default How to ID Norinco SKS

How do I ID a legal vs banned Norinco SKS? This particular one had a fixed 10round mag and was labeled 7.62 x 39 norinco sporter, and b-west tuc. AZ on the receiver.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-21-2010, 9:01 PM
Cokebottle's Avatar
Cokebottle Cokebottle is offline
Guitar: The Deplorables
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 24,303
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Default

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

Banned:
SKS w/ detachable magazine << Not this
Norinco: 56, 56 S, 84S, 86S << Not this
Made in China: 56, 56S, 84S, 86S, AKS << Not this
Fabrique Nationale: 308 Match, Sporter << Not this
Made in Spain: CETME Sporter << Not this
Norinco: 81 S (all) << Not this
Norinco: 86 (all) << Not this
Norinco: AK-47 (all) << Not this
Norinco: Hunter Rifle << Not this
Norinco: MAK 90 << Not this
Norinco: NHM 90, 90-2, 91 Sport << Not this
Norinco: RPK Rifle << Not this

Looks like you're good to go.
__________________
-- Rich


Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA is our insurance against their success.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-21-2010, 9:05 PM
railroader railroader is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: az and so cal
Posts: 2,905
iTrader: 66 / 100%
Default

I always thought the sporter models used AK detachable mags. I have never heard of any sks type rifles that were banned that had factory non detachable 10 round mags. The only ones that might be a problem would be the yugo 59/66 with a grenade launcher. Here's an old post about sporters. http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=160369 Mark
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-21-2010, 9:18 PM
TacoJockey's Avatar
TacoJockey TacoJockey is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Folsom
Posts: 409
iTrader: 25 / 100%
Default

Doing a google search I found both Norinco SKS and AK type 56's. Are both banned in CA or just the AK variety (the banned list doesn't specify, just says 56)? The rifle also has 3 chinese characters and a triangle on the side of the receiver, I cant make out the figures in the triangle as they are partially obscured by the stock. I used the AW flowchart but without being able to identify the SKS its hard to tell whether its banned or not.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-21-2010, 9:22 PM
Cokebottle's Avatar
Cokebottle Cokebottle is offline
Guitar: The Deplorables
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 24,303
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoJockey View Post
Doing a google search I found both Norinco SKS and AK type 56's. Are both banned in CA or just the AK variety (the banned list doesn't specify, just says 56)? The rifle also has 3 chinese characters and a triangle on the side of the receiver, I cant make out the figures in the triangle as they are partially obscured by the stock. I used the AW flowchart but without being able to identify the SKS its hard to tell whether its banned or not.
The list that I posted above was taken directly from the Kasler and Roberti-Roos lists.

Fixed magazine SKS are legal as long as they do not have a grenade launcher.

The Yugo M59/66 is not an SKS.

SKS was made only by Norinco and Tula.
__________________
-- Rich


Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA is our insurance against their success.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-21-2010, 9:38 PM
TacoJockey's Avatar
TacoJockey TacoJockey is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Folsom
Posts: 409
iTrader: 25 / 100%
Default

That's why I was confused by the 56, the DOJ list doesn't specify AK or SKS. For that reason I was concerned that a type 56 SKS, which has a fixed mag from what I've seen, could be banned. I do appreciate the help.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-22-2010, 6:00 AM
Quiet's Avatar
Quiet Quiet is offline
short bus driver
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: the 909
Posts: 18,911
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoJockey View Post
That's why I was confused by the 56, the DOJ list doesn't specify AK or SKS. For that reason I was concerned that a type 56 SKS, which has a fixed mag from what I've seen, could be banned. I do appreciate the help.
CA Penal Code [PC 12276(a)(1)] specifies Type 56 AK, not SKS.


Penal Code 12276
As used in this chapter, "assault weapon" shall mean the following designated semiautomatic firearms:
(a) All of the following specified rifles:
(1) All AK series including, but not limited to, the models identified as follows:
(A) Made in China AK, AKM, AKS, AK47, AK47S, 56, 56S, 84S, and 86S.
(B) Norinco 56, 56S, 84S, and 86S.
(C) Poly Technologies AKS and AK47.
(D) MAADI AK47 and ARM.
__________________


"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 7:44 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.