Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 09-20-2010, 4:23 PM
OATH KEEPER
CGN Contributor

Default Good gunsmiths in the Orange County area?

My buddy has a Yugo 24/47 Mauser that he wants some work done on, such as bending the bolt, shaving some of the stock, etc. Anyone know of a good gunsmith in Orange County that can do that kind of work on metal and wood?

I've never taken anything to a gunsmith in CA so I don't know where to point him.
Old 09-20-2010, 9:35 PM

I don't know about Orange County, but you can try Joe Rios at Republic Gunworks in Azusa.

Republic Gunworks
162 S. Irwindale Avenue
Azusa, CA 91712
626-334-9030
www.republicgunworks.com

He rebarreled a M1 Garand for a friend and attached a muzzlebreak to an SKS for me. He has experience with milsurps. Dunno about stocks but your buddy can call him to ask. HTH
Old 09-21-2010, 7:29 AM

Brad Blancett over at Ammo Bros.
562-865-0483
tacticalsupport@hotmail.com

I've used him a few times and he's always done excellent work.
Old 09-21-2010, 8:39 AM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I haven't had any work done here but I've heard good things about Bolsa Gunsmithing in Westminster.
Old 09-21-2010, 8:48 AM

http://www.ccw4me.com/ American Gunsmithing, can't say enough good about them. this is like the 3rd gunsmith thread today in OC
Do people just post without reading? these guys are OC local, very OC, North OC.

Last edited by ocspeedracer; 09-21-2010 at 9:55 AM..
Old 09-21-2010, 9:05 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I just called yesterday and spoke to them...said they won't work on my Beowulf (Thread the barrel for a brake) cause it's a AR platform. Not sure why they wouldn't but that kinda turned me off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJonesUSC View Post
I haven't had any work done here but I've heard good things about Bolsa Gunsmithing in Westminster.
Old 09-21-2010, 9:47 AM
CGSSA OC Chapter Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJonesUSC View Post
Bolsa is about the only game in town for OC on a professional gunsmithing level. However, they are a PITA! Your (mere civilian) work will go last behind all LEO related work. Expect a week to two for even the simplest task.

But in the land of the white bread where you can count dedicated gun shops on a single hand (for a county of 3 million people) what can you do. . . .
Old 10-01-2010, 12:08 AM

I recently had the pleasure of having a used and abused working gun professionally restored to “better-than-original” condition by the Orange County Gunsmith at Ade's Gun Shop. I brought the gun to him in rough shape (from service in a galaxy far far away), and after a relatively quick timeframe, I was shocked and amazed at what I got back. The gun was fire-damaged and rusted due to fire-damage. When I had originally showed him what he had to work with and the parts I acquired for him to restore the piece, he was honest and gave me straightforward responses and no-nonsense guidance. His encyclopedic knowledge of his trade was evident. I don't know any other gunsmith in Orange County who would have given that particular gun the time of day in their shop at their bench and could have performed the small miracles he performed on that gun (especially considering the shape it was in). I am supremely pleased with the end results and confident that my working gun will live to fight another day, thanks to his honest, old-school work ethic and master abilities. I was also supremely pleased with the modest fee he charged for his services. I asked him about it and he said, “Look friend, I’m not here to gouge you like others do. This is what I know and what I do.” That's what I like to hear. I use that particular 1911 as a carry gun for work. If I didn't trust his abilities, I wouldn't use the gun. That handgun now has a couple of thousands of rounds through it and is a trust-worthy working piece. This is why the Orange County Gunsmith is the gunsmith that I will frequent and fully endorse. If you got a 1911 that needs work, call Ade's Gun Shop in Orange, CA, and the OC Gunsmith will help you build the 1911 of your dreams, just like he did for me. Check out my "calguns" avatar. That's the fire-damaged 1911 he fixed for me.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:32 AM
In Memoriam

www.davesmetalworks.com in Covina. Great work, great prices good turn around.

When I hit the lotto I'm only shooting factory.