Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 09-17-2010, 11:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Where to buy PSL receiver flats

Do you guys know who sells good PSL receiver flats/80% PSL receivers? Which ones are good, and which ones should I avoid?
Originally Posted by SJgunguy24 View Post
Some people are so open minded, their brains have fallen out.

WTB: Saiga .223 bolt; HK G3 bolt; Chinese AK pistol grips; milled AK cut receiver pieces and stubs.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:53 PM
Veteran Member

Does such a beast exist? I've only ever seen complete receivers for sale.

Life can make you do many things, even kiss a man with a runny nose.

- Mihail Timofeevič Kalašnikov -
Old 09-17-2010, 11:59 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: Northern Mexico(San Jose) Where illegals have rights and citizens get screwed

Never seen a flat before, but http://www.coldsteelsolutionsincorporated.com/ will make you a blank.
You'll need to layout and cut the holes, but the hard part would be done.
You could always get some 4130 sheet metal and make your own.
The others, well......they just never learn.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
Patrick Henry.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:01 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Well, there was one on Calguns:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=264032

And there's one on Gunbroker:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=189140992

I tried looking up this info, and found a lot of conflicting information. So, I'm hoping someone here has the knowledge of this.

WTB: Saiga .223 bolt; HK G3 bolt; Chinese AK pistol grips; milled AK cut receiver pieces and stubs.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:04 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Never seen a flat before, but http://www.coldsteelsolutionsincorporated.com/ will make you a blank.
You'll need to layout and cut the holes, but the hard part would be done.
You could always get some 4130 sheet metal and make your own.
I found those guys, and the receiver on Gunbroker is made by them. I also read about people having to do quite a bit of extra work on them, not just drilling and cutting the holes.

Old 09-18-2010, 12:09 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: Northern Mexico(San Jose) Where illegals have rights and citizens get screwed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick View Post
I found those guys, and the receiver on Gunbroker is made by them. I also read about people having to do quite a bit of extra work on them, not just drilling and cutting the holes.
Well yeah, that's fit and finish, but getting the major dimensions for the overall size is done.

Have you tried calling Harlen at NDS and see what he says? You never know they could have something laying around. I called him asking about a build before.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
Patrick Henry.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:12 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Well yeah, that's fit and finish, but getting the major dimensions for the overall size is done.

Have you tried calling Harlen at NDS and see what he says? You never know they could have something laying around. I called him asking about a build before.
I haven't, but I will now

Old 09-18-2010, 12:15 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I haven't, but I will now
Even if he has nothing that would work for you, he might get you a lead on something that will.

Patrick Henry.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:20 AM
Veteran Member

Check out these prices though. Almost worth doing a middleman transfer on. Depending on which rear trunnion you have with your kit:

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/DRAREC.aspx

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/DRARECROM.aspx

Old 09-18-2010, 12:22 AM

Centerfire Systems has some apparently they are made by Nodak Spud might want to contact them about getting one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious View Post
fight the power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford8N View Post
I have one request, will all the fatties please take a shower and use some deodorant before you go to the show.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:26 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthaiboy View Post
Check out these prices though. Almost worth doing a middleman transfer on. Depending on which rear trunnion you have with your kit:

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/DRAREC.aspx

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/DRARECROM.aspx
I actually want to make it out of an 80% receiver. But man, those receivers are cheap, even when you consider the transfer fees. The 80% receiver is about $60 shipped.

I got this rear trunnion: https://www.apexgunparts.com/product...oducts_id/1450

Last edited by nick; 09-18-2010 at 12:30 AM..
Old 09-18-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62x54R View Post
Centerfire Systems has some apparently they are made by Nodak Spud might want to contact them about getting one.
the centerfire systems wont ship those receivers out to california. tnguns.com has a psl receiver for like 150 i believe, don't remember. If I was OP, I would just buy the 80% receiver and work it out
Old 09-18-2010, 2:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsTCP View Post
the centerfire systems wont ship those receivers out to california. tnguns.com has a psl receiver for like 150 i believe, don't remember. If I was OP, I would just buy the 80% receiver and work it out
Yes, that's why I said at $80 they may be worth trying to ship to a middleman FFL for transfer. If Nodakspud makes them, then just see if Harlan has one he can sell you.

Question for you, Nick. If you built from a flat, what bending jig do you use to bend this flat? Is the PSL receiver dimensionally identical to an AK? For $50 PLUS $12 to $14 for a set of rails, the Cold Steel 80% receiver just looks like one head ache after the other, and any money you've saved on buying it over a 100% receiver, you are going to be spending on tools to cut out the 3 holes in 0.64" steel on the bottom of the receiver. Plus there's a 4 to 6 week turnaround on those.

I don't know about you, but if it was me, I would build it from a 100% receiver for three reasons:

1). Resale value (if you ever felt the urge to sell it) since this isn't a cheap parts kit, so look at it as an investment.
2). Shooting 54R, I'd prefer a fully heat-treated harden steel receiver.
3). I can't wait 4 to 6 weeks.

I can understand buying other Cold Steel receivers for more obscure rifles like the PPSh-43 or MPi-69, when there isn't a 100% receiver commercially available, IMO.

Old 09-18-2010, 3:31 PM

I have an 80% Coldsteel that I'm not going to use PM if interested.
Old 09-18-2010, 4:12 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsTCP View Post
That's what OP wants to do, yes

Old 09-18-2010, 4:30 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Yes, that's why I said at $80 they may be worth trying to ship to a middleman FFL for transfer. If Nodakspud makes them, then just see if Harlan has one he can sell you.

Question for you, Nick. If you built from a flat, what bending jig do you use to bend this flat? Is the PSL receiver dimensionally identical to an AK? For $50 PLUS $12 to $14 for a set of rails, the Cold Steel 80% receiver just looks like one head ache after the other, and any money you've saved on buying it over a 100% receiver, you are going to be spending on tools to cut out the 3 holes in 0.64" steel on the bottom of the receiver. Plus there's a 4 to 6 week turnaround on those.

I don't know about you, but if it was me, I would build it from a 100% receiver for three reasons:

1). Resale value (if you ever felt the urge to sell it) since this isn't a cheap parts kit, so look at it as an investment.
2). Shooting 54R, I'd prefer a fully heat-treated harden steel receiver.
3). I can't wait 4 to 6 weeks.

I can understand buying other Cold Steel receivers for more obscure rifles like the PPSh-43 or MPi-69, when there isn't a 100% receiver commercially available, IMO.
1. Don't try to introduce logic and/or common sense into my thread, the thread rules forbid it

2. Coldsteel pre-bends them, it doesn't cut the holes in them instead to keep them 80%.

3. I'm not doing it to save money, I do this for fun. None of my AKs were built from complete receivers, either. Except for the Saigas, but they came that way.

4. I'm playing with fully heat-treating AK receivers. Speaking of which, I heard that the original AKM receivers were spot-treated, similar the way we do it. What about the original PSL receivers? Did anyone check them? Like you said, I'd feel better having a fully heat-treated receiver for 7.62x54R.

5. Resale value, well, I view my guns as fun devices, tools, part of self-defense and long-term survival in case of a disaster planning. One of the last considerations for them is being a capital preservation vehicle, since I use many of them. The fact that they tend to appreciate with inflation or as they become old and rare is just an added bonus. Moreover, I doubt the money I'm putting into this will be much different from the value of the cheapest complete PSL on the market. For that matter, the time I will end up spending on it will be worth several times the price of a brand new PSL, anyway.

6. On your last point, well, I HATE waiting 4-6 weeks. I might have to though.

You made valid points, I just approach it with a different set of basic assumptions. You approach it from a common sense standpoint. I do it for fun. Now, if I don't get any decent accuracy out of it, and the receiver is a likely culprit, I'll end up getting a good 100% receiver. I hope to avoid it though.

And yes, I've already considered an 80% receiver for PPSh-41

Last edited by nick; 09-18-2010 at 4:42 PM..
Old 09-18-2010, 6:11 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
1. Don't try to introduce logic and/or common sense into my thread, the thread rules forbid it
Yes, I should have known better.

Quote:
2. Coldsteel pre-bends them, it doesn't cut the holes in them instead to keep them 80%.
That's why I mentioned, you may have to spend extra money on decent cutting tools to cut the 3 holes (mag well, trigger, and PG hole) in 1.5mm steel.

Quote:
3. I'm not doing it to save money, I do this for fun. None of my AKs were built from complete receivers, either. Except for the Saigas, but they came that way.
Fair enough. I have bought a dozen NDS receivers to use on my matching kits, because they are the best, and starting at $55.00, it's alot less aggravation, and at least I know I should get a good return on them if I ever decide to sell. I transfer / DROS 3 or 4 receivers at a time to save money on fees. I only build from flats on my non-matching kits. With the value of matching barrel parts kits nowadays, the receiver cost has almost become negligable.

Quote:
4. I'm playing with fully heat-treating AK receivers. Speaking of which, I heard that the original AKM receivers were spot-treated, similar the way we do it. What about the original PSL receivers? Did anyone check them? Like you said, I'd feel better having a fully heat-treated receiver for 7.62x54R.
If the CFS PSL receiver are NDS, then they'll definitely be heat treated. Couldn't tell you about the original Eastern Bloc receivers. A question for the AK forums perhaps.

Quote:
5. Resale value, well, I view my guns as fun devices, tools, part of self-defense and long-term survival in case of a disaster planning. One of the last considerations for them is being a capital preservation vehicle, since I use many of them. The fact that they tend to appreciate with inflation or as they become old and rare is just an added bonus. Moreover, I doubt the money I'm putting into this will be much different from the value of the cheapest complete PSL on the market. For that matter, the time I will end up spending on it will be worth several times the price of a brand new PSL, anyway.
Yes, but you never know what may happen in a few years time. You might become less interested in guns and decide to sell a few lesser used rifles to fund a new hobby, such as a Burusera collection, then you'll will want a maximum return on it. More money = more bloomers.

Quote:
And yes, I've already considered an 80% receiver for PPSh-41
A Finnish KP-44 build has really sparked my interest recently. Need to do more research in what's involved, though.

Old 09-18-2010, 7:57 PM
Veteran Member

Just thinking out loud here...

If my father brings some NDS receivers to intra-familiar transfer from out of state, is there a limit on how many? I only "need" one myself. Maybe some others might at CF's price?

Justin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Sometimes, arguing just for the sake of arguing, can be fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyZRC View Post
no it can't!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
YES IT CAN!
"Pink rifle disease... SPREAD IT!"
Old 09-18-2010, 9:58 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
A Finnish KP-44 build has really sparked my interest recently. Need to do more research in what's involved, though.
You too, huh? I'll be watching that project closely, I already have a kit. Can't be that different from building a PPS-43 though, since it's almost a direct copy chambered in a different caliber.

Old 09-18-2010, 9:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccobro View Post
Just thinking out loud here...

If my father brings some NDS receivers to intra-familiar transfer from out of state, is there a limit on how many? I only "need" one myself. Maybe some others might at CF's price?

Justin
Keep thinking, you might find interested parties

Old 09-18-2010, 10:03 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I just picked up my PSL kit, courtesy of a fellow Calgunner. I am impressed. The only issue I can see is some scratches on the barrel due to parts rubbing against each other in the box. Aside from that, it's pristine and looks unused. All parts match. It's missing a rear trunnion ($25 from Apex, already ordered) and disconnector spring ($1.23 from DPH, and I think I have a few spares), but for the price ($315) it's not a big deal at all, considering that I'm getting a pristine numbers matching kit with the scope, bayonet, sling, two mags and the bag for the mags and scope. Only the mags and the bayonet look like they were used. This will be a fun project. Thank you, Alan

Old 09-19-2010, 9:41 AM

so if I where to purchase another romy kit and flat would I just move the FCG back 12mm and get a .308 clip to make sure it fits and open up the clip hole 12mm to make a saiga .308 conv out of a romy kit? is that what making it work means

I wish i would have learned this before I weld up my ak receiver but I think its still possible I just have to move all the fcg holes back 12mm right
Old 09-19-2010, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdownin View Post
so if I where to purchase another romy kit and flat would I just move the FCG back 12mm and get a .308 clip to make sure it fits and open up the clip hole 12mm to make a saiga .308 conv out of a romy kit? is that what making it work means

I wish i would have learned this before I weld up my ak receiver but I think its still possible I just have to move all the fcg holes back 12mm right
What bolt / bolt carrier and barrel were you planning on using?

Old 09-19-2010, 11:49 AM

romy g stuff
Old 09-19-2010, 12:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
romy g stuff
Good luck, you'll need a new barrel and trunnion. And IIRC the 308 case at the base is larger then the 7.62 case.

Patrick Henry.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:13 PM

this just in, complete psl/fpk kits from centerfiresystems for 269.99!!! not sure if they are numbers matching but still a killer deal!
Old 09-19-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Good luck, you'll need a new barrel and trunnion. And IIRC the 308 case at the base is larger then the 7.62 case.
I have a brand new chrome lined barrell but I have the Romy G trunnion so I dunno if it will work.. I have read that the Nato round and the .308 are interchanable safely can you link me to a ak .308 build?

Are you saying i need new trunnion and barrel because it will need to be headspaced which it is not at the moment..
Old 09-19-2010, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
romy g stuff
I'm just confused why you would think the round on the left (.308) would fit into the mechanics of a rifle designed to fit the round on the right (7.62x39mm), just by moving the trigger group back 12mm to accommodate the wider .308 magazine.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
I'm just confused why you would think the round on the left (.308) would fit into the mechanics of a rifle designed to fit the round on the right (7.62x39mm), just by moving the trigger group back 12mm to accommodate the wider .308 magazine.

I see why your confused because you looking at the wrong round...

I said nato round which is not in your picture
Old 09-19-2010, 1:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Seriously?? I think you're just yanking my chain. Nobody can be this clueless!

If you are serious (which I doubt), please do some more reading on the dimensional differences of .308 Win and 7.62x51 NATO.

Old 09-19-2010, 1:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

.308 is dimensionally similar to 7.62x51 NATO.

Old 09-19-2010, 1:23 PM

correct similar enough that saami(Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers Institute) says they are interchangable safely

and the .308 is .034mm wider than 7.62x39mm

Last edited by cdownin; 09-19-2010 at 1:27 PM..
Old 09-19-2010, 1:36 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
correct similar enough that saami(Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers Institute) says they are interchangable safely

and the .308 is .034mm wider than 7.62x39mm
Then if they are interchangable, what difference does it make if the cartridge in the photo on the right is a 7.62 NATO, or a .308? They're the same size right? Compare that to the casing of the 7.62x39mm. It's shorter. That's why I asked you, why is it you think, the cartridge on the left (.308/ 7.62 NATO, whatever you want to call it) would fit into the chamber of a barrel made for the shorter cartridge on the right?

Old 09-19-2010, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Then if they are interchangable, what difference does it make if the cartridge in the photo on the right is a 7.62 NATO, or a .308? They're the same size right? Compare that to the casing of the 7.62x39mm. It's shorter. That's why I asked you, why is it you think, the cartridge on the left (.308/ 7.62 NATO, whatever you want to call it) would fit into the chamber of a barrel made for the shorter cartridge on the right?
saiga barrel and bolt would make this work but im wondering if i could move fcg, rail, etc back and if it would lock with the cartrige sticking 12mm out of the romy barrel if the bolt is locked and head space properly

Last edited by cdownin; 09-19-2010 at 2:25 PM..
Old 09-19-2010, 2:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I think the neck is what actually sits in the barrel so cartige length is the issue so it would need to be headspaced which is what i have to do to my new chrome lined barrel already...
You will need to do a lot more than headspacing. You would need, a 7.62x51 NATO or .308 AK barrel, a .308 trunnion (similar to an Saiga .308, RPK or VEPR with the same trunnion inside diameter as the barrel), .308 bolt carrier, .308 bolt, new receiver (RPK or PSL type to accommodate beefier front trunnion), etc. Can you see where I'm going with this?

Last edited by bigthaiboy; 09-19-2010 at 2:38 PM..
Old 09-19-2010, 2:37 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
saiga barrel and bolt would make this work but im wondering if i could move fcg, rail, etc back and if it would lock with the cartrige sticking 12mm out of the romy barrel if the bolt is locked and head space properly

What do you think would happen if you had 12mm of unsupported cartridge sticking out of the chamber when you fired it (if you could make it fire, that is)? Put it this way, your plastic surgeon will be kept busy for the next couple of years, if you survived the first shot.

The bolt locks into the trunnion, by the mouth of the chamber. It can't lock is the casing is too long. That is what a 7.62x39mm field gauge does.

Old 09-19-2010, 2:42 PM

LOL yeah sadly

so a psl parts kit with milled and parked barrel would do the trick right?
Old 09-19-2010, 2:59 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
LOL yeah sadly

so a psl parts kit with milled and parked barrel would do the trick right?
If you built it on a PSL receiver, and want to shoot 7.62x54R, then it would work.

My advice is, build your Romie G to shoot 7.62x39mm, as it was intended, and buy a Saiga in .308, if you want a .308

It will save you a lot of money, time and tears.

Old 09-19-2010, 3:35 PM

yeah it seems no one sells parts for the saiga .308 so maybe i have to buy one
Old 09-19-2010, 4:11 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
yeah it seems no one sells parts for the saiga .308 so maybe i have to buy one
A smart choice indeed