Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 09-16-2010, 1:06 AM

Default Thanks guys and I more ?

I found another gun I want in Utah. A .50 Desert Eagle. Parents are driving out from UT later this month.

1.Any problems with them buying gun and bringing it out and doing a Intrafamilial transfer?

2.Do they have to be present at the FFL? If logistics dont work I can always have them ship from FFL to FFL.

Sorry for all the questions. Last kid just went to School and I got the thumbs up to have guns in the house.

Thanks again in advance
Old 09-16-2010, 5:18 AM
retired Goon

In order to comply with Federal laws, the out-of-state intra-familial gift must be transfered through a CA FFL dealer.

Since it's an intra-familial gift, it is exempt from the approved list.

You need to find a CA FFL dealer that is knows how to do an out-of-state intra-familial gift transfer of a non-listed handgun.

Your parents can deliver the handgun in person to the CA FFL dealer or ship it the the CA FFL dealer.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 09-16-2010, 6:00 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lear60man View Post
I found another gun I want in Utah. A .50 Desert Eagle. Parents are driving out from UT later this month.

1.Any problems with them buying gun and bringing it out and doing a Intrafamilial transfer?

2.Do they have to be present at the FFL? If logistics dont work I can always have them ship from FFL to FFL.

Sorry for all the questions. Last kid just went to School and I got the thumbs up to have guns in the house.

Thanks again in advance
I just want to be clear that your parents are lawful residents of Utah correct? So they can most certainly buy an off roster handgun in Utah. Then they can most certainly deliver it or ship it to an FFL in California with a letter stating they are intrafamilial transferring the pistol to you. You go in and pay whatever the FFLs transfer fees are.

Be sure to ask the FFL if they will do it ahead of time. Most FFLs probably won't. Where in SoCal are you?

The Calguns Foundation - Board Member. DONATE NOW! Your dollars go DIRECTLY to front-line legal activism in CA.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of The Calguns Foundation
Old 09-16-2010, 8:08 AM

Thanks. It was the .50 that was sticking in my head. Its been a while since I have had guns. Left them all in Utah.

Yes they are Legal residents of Utah, good folk no law problems etc.

I live in Woodland Hills. Would that mean making two trips to the FFL? Once to fill out the paper work and another trip to pick it up after everything clears?

Christian
Old 09-16-2010, 8:30 AM

Yes, you would make one trip to fill out the 4473 and have your DROS submitted, then go back after 10 days but before 30 days to pick up the gun. Your dad just needs to have his ID and a letter stating the gun is a gift to his son, with the make, model, and serial number of the gun. Even though he may deliver it in person to the FFL it has to be treated as a "ship-in" because your dad is not a residents of CA. If he has to ship it to an FFL he just needs to include the same letter and a copy of his state issued ID in the box when he ships it.

Last edited by jtmkinsd; 09-16-2010 at 8:33 AM..
Old 09-16-2010, 8:38 AM

Thanks guys...making phone calls now!
Old 09-17-2010, 6:18 AM
retired Goon

RifleGear in Costa Mesa is knowledgeable on out-of-state intra-familial gifts.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 09-17-2010, 7:16 AM

We do it also.
Orange CA 92869
714-532-4867
T - F (11 - 7pm) Sat (10 - 5pm) - closed Sun & Mon