Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 09-12-2010, 9:54 AM
Senior Mumbler
CGN Contributor

Default Hunting mag capacity

I'm new to hunting and just took my hunter safety course. I know my shotgun must be limited to 3 rds but what about my rifle? I thought I remember a 5 round limit on magazine capacity but I've heard conflicting stories. I would be using my ar15 for varmint and predators. Any help is appreciated.
Old 09-12-2010, 9:55 AM

No limit on rifle magazine capacity, just make sure it is a legal configuration (non-AW)
And the wisdom to know the difference.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorhard View Post
No limit on rifle magazine capacity, just make sure it is a legal configuration (non-AW)
EXACTLY! THE green pants FUD STOPS here!
Old 09-12-2010, 10:07 AM
Banned

Also no limit on the shotgun capacity when hunting varmints or predators. 3 round limits are for the birds.

Then again, if you dont pop your coyote within 3 rounds with the shotgun, you need to practice. LOL

Just make sure you use some #4 buckshot in 3" (outside of condor territory) or Dead Coyote in 3" (inside condor territory) and a full or even tighter choke.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:33 AM
Senior Mumbler
CGN Contributor

Thanks guys! Speaking of fud, the instructor at the safety class said a loaded shotgun included shells strapped to the butt stock holder when the book clearly stated loaded means a shell in the chamber. Also he said you can't have a loaded pistol mag in a case separate from your locked up pistol in the car which I don't think is accurate. This was after his argument that atvs don't ruin the environment and actually helped the desert turtle by knocking brush down so their food would be a closer height.

Not bashing atvs or anything. This guy was just a nut! Haha
Old 09-12-2010, 10:35 AM
Senior Mumbler
CGN Contributor

Oh yeah, gonna get me a yote this weekend!!
Old 09-12-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImYourPusherMan View Post
Also no limit on the shotgun capacity when hunting varmints or predators. 3 round limits are for the birds.
3 shells applies to small game too! That includes tree squirrels and all rabbits. Here are the shotgun restrictions:

Quote:
§311. Methods Authorized for Taking Resident Small Game.
Only the following may be used to take resident small game:
(a) Shotguns 10 gauge or smaller using shot shells only and incapable of holding more than three shells in the magazine and chamber combined. If a plug is used to reduce the capacity of a magazine to fulfill the requirements of this section, the plug must be of one piece construction incapable of removal without disassembling the gun;
(b) Shotgun shells may not be used or possessed that contain shot size larger than No. BB, except that shot size larger than No. 2 may not be used or possessed when taking wild turkey. All shot shall be loose in the shell.
(c)
(d)
etc...
Old 09-12-2010, 10:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbasol View Post
Oh yeah, gonna get me a yote this weekend!!
Have you been out yet? Do you have a caller, or hand calls? Any ideas on where to go? North, south? Rolin solo?
Old 09-12-2010, 10:43 AM
Senior Mumbler
CGN Contributor

Shoot, one more question. Is there any regulations as to the number of magazines I can carry while hunting. Loaded or unloaded. Not that I need 4 30 rounders with my featureless but we will be doing some plinking later in the day
Old 09-12-2010, 10:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiRTY DOG View Post
3 shells applies to small game too! That includes tree squirrels and all rabbits. Here are the shotgun restrictions:

[/SIZE]
Youre right, but coyotes are a NON-game mammal.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Shoot, one more question. Is there any regulations as to the number of magazines I can carry while hunting. Loaded or unloaded. Not that I need 4 30 rounders with my featureless but we will be doing some plinking later in the day
Take all you can carry. It gets heavy tho.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Youre right, but coyotes are a NON-game mammal.
Regulations regarding magazine capacity only apply when “taking” game birds and/or mammals (California Code of Regulations Title 14, sections 311, 353 and 507). The 3-round shell restriction does not apply when using a shotgun to take furbearing or nongame species (in this case, coyotes), or when shooting targets, skeet/trap, sporting clays, etc. (CCR Title 14, sections 465 and 475).
Old 09-12-2010, 12:20 PM
Calguns Addict

seems like you got all your answers, i'll just add that you can only carry a total of 25 shells when hunting birds too so make your shots count.

(and i'm by no means an expert hunter so if that statement is FUD then please let me know....it was something my hunter safety class taught me, and there was plenty of other FUD in it too.....)

Most civilization is based on cowardice. It's so easy to civilize by teaching cowardice. You water down the standards which would lead to bravery. You restrain the will. You regulate the appetites. You fence in the horizons. You make a law for every movement. You deny the existence of chaos. You teach even the children to breathe slowly. You tame.
People Should Not Be Afraid Of Their Governments, Governments Should Be Afraid Of Their People

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 09-12-2010, 12:32 PM
Senior Mumbler
CGN Contributor

Plan is to head to eastern sierras. Blm land
Old 09-12-2010, 12:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Plan is to head to eastern sierras. Blm land
Sweet. Make sure you post pics of your results. Good luck! You got calls?
Old 09-12-2010, 12:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishPirate View Post
seems like you got all your answers, i'll just add that you can only carry a total of 25 shells when hunting birds too so make your shots count.

(and i'm by no means an expert hunter so if that statement is FUD then please let me know....it was something my hunter safety class taught me, and there was plenty of other FUD in it too.....)
IIRC, I dont think there is a shell limit that you can carry on you. Just no more then 3 IN the gun.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member

Actually, the 25 shell limit only applies to state and federal wildlife areas where they allow hunting. I can and do carry as many shells as I like on my club. Usually 50 ish rounds of various sizes since I use different shells for ducks, geese, and jacksnipe.
Old 09-12-2010, 2:00 PM
Senior Mumbler
CGN Contributor

Found some electronic calls we are gonna try. Will def post some pics!
Old 09-12-2010, 2:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Found some electronic calls we are gonna try. Will def post some pics!
Cool. Make sure you have wind in your face, and sun at your back when possible.
Old 09-12-2010, 2:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Thanks guys! Speaking of fud, the instructor at the safety class said a loaded shotgun included shells strapped to the butt stock holder when the book clearly stated loaded means a shell in the chamber. Also he said you can't have a loaded pistol mag in a case separate from your locked up pistol in the car which I don't think is accurate. This was after his argument that atvs don't ruin the environment and actually helped the desert turtle by knocking brush down so their food would be a closer height.

Not bashing atvs or anything. This guy was just a nut! Haha
You can only have a shotgun which can contain no more than 3 rounds. Two in the mag and 1 in the chamber. You can have as many rounds attached to the gun as you want. You can use any legal rifle magazine when hunting in California. If you want to use a beltfed with a 250 round belt, go ahead! We'll just laugh at you. Of course, all AW and magazine laws still apply. You can transport an unloaded handgun in the same locked case as a loaded magazine! In fact, as long as you are not in a GFSZ, you can transport an unloaded handgun and a loaded magazine on your dashboard or on the seat next to you. This is not advisable though. Many LEOs do not really understand the law and your legal actions may cost you a lot in legal fees.

Offering low cost private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.
Old 09-12-2010, 2:13 PM

10 rounds
Old 09-12-2010, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteHunter555 View Post
10 rounds
fud
Old 09-12-2010, 3:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteHunter555 View Post
10 rounds
If that's all you have then that's all you can carry. But, there's no law preventing someone from carrying larger mags or more ammo.

Old 09-12-2010, 3:42 PM

Attention mods please put a CA mag capacity for hunting sticky at the top.
http://www.aandmanimalcontrol.com/

http://www.sandiegoskunkremoval.com/
http://www.skunkremovallajolla.biz/
Old 09-12-2010, 4:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
You can only have a shotgun which can contain no more than 3 rounds. Two in the mag and 1 in the chamber. You can have as many rounds attached to the gun as you want. You can use any legal rifle magazine when hunting in California. If you want to use a beltfed with a 250 round belt, go ahead! We'll just laugh at you. Of course, all AW and magazine laws still apply. You can transport an unloaded handgun in the same locked case as a loaded magazine! In fact, as long as you are not in a GFSZ, you can transport an unloaded handgun and a loaded magazine on your dashboard or on the seat next to you. This is not advisable though. Many LEOs do not really understand the law and your legal actions may cost you a lot in legal fees.
Regulations regarding magazine capacity only apply when “taking” game birds and/or mammals (California Code of Regulations Title 14, sections 311, 353 and 507). The 3-round shell restriction does not apply when using a shotgun to take furbearing or nongame species (in this case, coyotes), or when shooting targets, skeet/trap, sporting clays, etc. (CCR Title 14, sections 465 and 475).
Old 09-12-2010, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
Attention mods please put a CA mag capacity for hunting sticky at the top.
i agree. i find it quite amazing that this exact question is asked in this section probably 3 or 4 times a month and yet most of the replies are still full of the wrong answer.
Old 09-12-2010, 4:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
True, thanks for the clarification.