Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Young Calgunners
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Young Calgunners This forum is for our younger members, the sons and daughters of Calgunners, younger guests and their parents.

Old 09-08-2010, 8:26 PM

Default First timer looking for some advice

Hey everyone, name's Brian. Always wanted to get into the sport of shooting but grew up in a very anti-gun house unfortunately. Now that I turned 21 a few months back and out on my own I'm looking to start!
Only real shooting I have done is maybe a few hundred rounds through a .22 rifle, and maybe 100 rounds shooting skeet with a 12 gauge pump action.
I was looking to really start with a semi-auto pistol, particularly a xmd 9mm. Already planning on going to take the test when I can get the ball rolling.
Anyways I'm out in east bay (Brentwood) and seeing if there is some other friendlies that can give a hand of lend some experience and get me going down the rright path!
Glad to be a part of Calguns now and thanks for any advice!
-Brian

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk
Old 09-09-2010, 8:05 PM

I'm on the Peninsula (Menlo Park/Palo Alto area). I'd suggest you go and rent the xmd and a couple of other 9mm's in the same price range first. I've never bought a handgun before (20) but buying a gun is like buying a car. It's a major investment so you should make sure you absolutely want that one first. IDK where to do this in the east bay...Bullseye in San Rafael and Reed's in Santa Clara both have a range where you can rent guns. Good luck with the HSC test and enjoy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleCuss View Post
Right. But if they didn't have a Bullet Button on their EBR's they would surely have committed mass murder by now. The BB makes all the difference!
Proud to be a member of the CRPA and the NRA.
Old 09-09-2010, 8:38 PM
Veteran Member

Welcome to the fun. I'm sure local people will chime in with help. My only comment is I would look into some basic markmanship and gun safety training. Most ranges will have some sort of basic class, or through the NRA I am sure you can find a local class. Learing safe and proper gun skills from the get-go will only make the sport more fun, and safe for you (and everyone around you!) And, you will not start picking up bad habits and form that will need to be corrected later. As an instructor, my hardest job was getting people correct bad habits. When you do something wrong, so many time, you get really good...at doing it wrong. A new shooter, a "blank slate" if you will, were the easiest to train, and got better, faster (and safer.)

PS: Look into a .22 pistol like the Ruger Mark 3's or 22/45. Super cheap, cheap ammo, fun to shoot, and a perfect pistol to learn basic marksmanship with.
Old 09-09-2010, 8:55 PM
Veteran Member

My cousin (former Marine and current LEO) taught me how to shoot. I'm glad I took a beginners class later on to teach me the real shooting basics lol.
Old 09-16-2010, 3:35 PM

You should definitely rent before you buy. The features of the xd might look good on paper and probably is a good gun but you might not like it as much as another in the same caliber.

Couple of things you can work on while at the range renting the guns
-Do a magazine release after shooting the last round and before you run out of ammo.
did you like how the mag change works on that gun?
is the mag release button in the right spot for you? depending on your hand size.
-Don't worry about grouping or flyers. Do you like how the gun feels in your hand when you pick it up and how it shoots?
-I'd go with either a full size or compact. Sub-compact won't feel too good for a while.
-Take into consideration availability and durability of the magazines too.
can you kick it on the floor pick it up and still shoot without jams?
-Take a class from one of the trainers here on Calguns in the competition/training section. Stone Cobra is in your area. Heard good things about them and you can find after action reviews of some of their classes here too. Don't recall but there are other trainers as well.
-You might want to take a tactical medicine class as well. Learning to shoot and being able to save a life are complimentary skillsets. Just my opinion.

Have shot hk usp compact 40 cal, glock 22/23 in 40 cal, own fnp 40 (don't buy, trust me on this), Custom Caspian 1911, rugers, smith/wesson 4506, 5906 (horrible safeties (you flick up to fire? makes no sense at all).

The best grip/feel are the Caspian 1911. Kimbers are good too so is the Paraordance 1911 gi $600 great torture test on you tube by Todd Jarrett 1000 rounds non-stop.
But the 1911 are maxed out at 10 rounds and usually are in 45acp with manual safeties.
Can never go wrong with a glock. Ugly but it keeps on working.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-17-2010, 8:56 PM

XDM isn't on the list...
Old 09-19-2010, 12:24 AM
Calguns Addict

Since he is a new shooter, he ought to be informed about the list.

"...and an old German guy said there was a bit of an unsaid joke about the Nazi salute; apparently when they clicked their heels and raised their arm up in the air in a Nazi salute, they were saying, "we're in this much s___."
Old 09-19-2010, 12:40 AM
C3 Contributor
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Welcome to Calguns !!! I hope you can get some good advice from here. Enjoy your new hobby and be safe !!
Old 09-30-2010, 10:59 PM

Thanks for the tips everyone! Yea i found out I can't get the xdm but oh well. Think I'm going to plan more on a glock 17 or 22. Also thanks for link to the list, kept reading about it but never bothered searching for it

But before any of that I'm taking the First Pistol training offered by the NRA at dobbs fire arm training if anyone is familiar in a couple weeks! Get some real hands on practice and learn safely the right way the first time.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:13 PM

Tracygunandrifle has a sale on glocks right now
Old 10-02-2010, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbomrdeuce View Post
Tracygunandrifle has a sale on glocks right now
I know I was just there yesterday checking them out seeing what feels comfortable. Took the HSC test there also and passed with flying colors! I understand now how if you can't pass that test you really shouldn't touch any weapon, it was all common sense!

I was getting ideas while there...I like the way the XD9 and G17 they had fit my grip and loved the Smith & wesson 1911 they had. But I'm keeping my price range around 500 so the XD and G17 were right there.
Old 10-08-2010, 6:50 PM

I mean if you tried as 22. then you want more.i would start out with a tarus pt 99 or 92.witch ever is fine and i forgot what brand makes 45s. with a changeable barrel for 9m
Old 10-08-2010, 7:07 PM
Veteran Member

I suggest a 1911, awesome guns and you can get a .22 conversion for it if you want. I'm on the peninsula if you want to meet up and try my Springfield 1911 out. You can get RIAs for around $500. We'll also be heading down to panoche in a few weeks, I'm sure most will let you shoot theirs if you bring ammo.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:35 PM

Default Re: First timer looking for some advice

Thanks for the tips guys. Just started my dros on an xd9 today. So that should last me for a while, while I save up for #2!

Sent from my Supersonic 4G
Old 10-09-2010, 1:03 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreddyberg View Post
Thanks for the tips guys. Just started my dros on an xd9 today. So that should last me for a while, while I save up for #2!

Sent from my Supersonic 4G
Awesome!
the 10 days NEVER gets easier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!