Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 09-02-2010, 8:47 AM
Veteran Member

Default cleaning brand new 1911 before using it?

I'm picking up my brand new Springfield GI tomorrow afternoon, and I'm just getting some cleaning supplies for it now (I have lots of long gun stuff, no real good pistol stuff). The supplies themselves aren't the issue, but I had a question about how much to clean a 1911.

When cleaning the grease & gunk out of a brand new 1911, do I just need to field strip it and thoroughly clean the slide only (firing pin & extractor channels)? Or on a 1911, do I need to do a complete detailed strip and remove everything to clean up the smaller internal parts, like the sear & disconnector?
Old 09-02-2010, 8:52 AM

Just a basic field strip and clean will do. If you want to you can pick up a tube of tetra gun grease or similar product and use it on the rails. That's what I did and it seems to work pretty well. This gun will fire right out of the box though so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just remember that it will be finicky for the first couple hundred rounds. After that you'll be good to go.

Oh yeah, replacing those ugly @ss stocks should be high on your list too.
Old 09-02-2010, 8:54 AM
Calguns Addict

If this will be your first time field stripping a 1911, take a look at some youtube videos for putting the slidestop back in. It's pretty basic, but does need to be mentioned to prevent any unwanted marks prior to your first range trip.

If anything use a business/playing card underneath the slidestop hole in the frame to preventy any unsightly scratches when installing the slide stop.

Congrats on a fine 1911.
Old 09-02-2010, 8:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Majik View Post
If this will be your first time field stripping a 1911, take a look at some youtube videos for putting the slidestop back in. It's pretty basic, but does need to be mentioned to prevent any unwanted marks prior to your first range trip.
That's true. I had a little trouble with that the first time I took mine apart. It's really not hard once you figure it out though. Hundreds of thousands of dumb Grunts like me have figured it out over the years and you can too.
Old 09-02-2010, 8:59 AM

+1 on basic cleaning....
Old 09-02-2010, 9:21 AM

Welcome to the world of 1911,
first thing I did to my 1911 when I first got it, is turn on the youtube, something like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P4XJ...eature=related
follow the insturtion on how to detailed striping,
great fun by doing that & next thing I did, is to buy lot of parts for the 1911 & mod it.
You don't have to detailed strip when 1st got it, just clean the barrel & wipe off the oil or the grease from the factory & use good quality grease to grease it,
very easy to do & very good hand gun you have there, Congratulations !!!
Old 09-02-2010, 11:36 AM

Wear safety glasses when field stripping.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:39 AM
Calguns Addict

When I first bought my Kimber Custom II, all I did was lubed it up and shot 200rnds through it. Worked flawless!
Old 09-02-2010, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member

All above suggestions seem well thought out and good advice.
For a new comer to clean with minimal dis-assembly I suggest a can or 2 of Powder Blast by "Break Free".
Just take off the grip panels and spray away. Cleans out everything you can't see or get to.
Just be sure to lube after-wards with a good oil.
This will work until you are more familiar with field stripping your piece.
Good luck and enjoy!
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 09-02-2010, 12:06 PM

Default seriously??

Are we talking about a handgun? C'mon... it's a 1911, it'll MAN UP to the task. Save something with ultra tight tolerances, you don't need all that foreplay - just "F%#@" IT already. (that's FIRE IT).

I say pick it up, check the barrel for obstructions, function test, find the nearest range and go to town! Break it down into teeny-weeny pieces AFTER for cleaning and lube.

I've been liking Tetra stuff of late.

I refer to my guns sometimes as "she, her, lady" etc. but let's not over do it. "She" is tougher than any metro-sexual, body-shaving, nipple pierced, puss* that takes longer to get ready in the AM than my 6yr. old daughter.

* I just read an article recently on the AM routine of the American Psycho dude, it read like something the gals on The View should be doing.

Oh, congrats on the new piece!

Numbers to LIVE by... 22, 38, 9, 357, 44, 45, 5.56, 7.62x39, 30-30, 308, 30-06, 12

Last edited by KimoBBZ; 09-02-2010 at 12:09 PM..
Old 09-02-2010, 7:31 PM
Veteran Member

I like to detail strip any new firearm I get. For cleaning, yes, but particulary for inspection. I want to know if everything looks right, was assembler correctly, and nay manufacturing crud is removed. You would be amazed at the crap I have pulled out of new guns: metal chips, shavings, drill swarf, etc. Is it necessary? No, but I like knowing my firearm is GTG.
Old 09-02-2010, 8:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

There is no reason to do a detail strip before shooting it the 1st time. All it's going to do is frustrate you if you're not familiar with the weapon. Quite frankly 99% of 1911 owners have never done a detail strip in their lives and never will - simply because it's completely unnecessary unless you are replacing components. Hold off on that complication until you are comfortable with field stripping and have lived with it for a while. Once you've done that you can download the youtube videos.

Field strip, blow it out with some canned air, inspect, check the barrel for obstructions, lightly lube and reassemble. 1911s like to run wet.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association and the Second Amendment Foundation.

Disappointed Life Member: California Rifle & Pistol Association

Last edited by sholling; 09-02-2010 at 8:30 PM..
Old 09-02-2010, 10:23 PM

If you field strip and oil it well, especially the rails, it will aid in the break-in of your new 1911. My personal experience is that new Springfields have less oil than necessary- sure they will fire, but a NEW gun that is well oiled will cycle easier and have less chance for feed/jam problems. The tighter the action, the better or more important the oil job becomes. If you start having a lot of feed problems with ball ammo, field strip and add oil to the rails then try again. Most issues I've had with a new 1911 all stem from this basic issue. Once the gun is broken in this becomes less of an issue.