Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 08-24-2010, 7:57 AM

Default S&W SW9VE

I'm tempted to pick one of these up, they're an awesome deal in my book. Quick question though; on the bottom of the grip, there's a little nub that sits right behind the magazine. It's not part of the grip itself; it's exactly where the grip removal pin is on an M&P. Can anyone tell me what it is?

It's this doohickey right here:

Old 08-24-2010, 8:00 AM

nevermind

Last edited by sniper4usmc; 08-24-2010 at 8:11 AM..
Old 08-24-2010, 8:08 AM

A friend that I just got into guns just bought one as his first gun. I took broke it down to clean it, and I was looking at that same tab. It doesn't look like really does anything besides fill the gap between the backstrap and magazine. Peope weren't kidding about the heavy trigger pull on these, otherwise it's a cool little gun for sure at $299.00.
Old 08-24-2010, 6:12 PM

Best $250, high cap, 9mm on the market.

Shoot me a pm if you want to discuss them.
Old 08-24-2010, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc540 View Post
Best $250, high cap, 9mm on the market.

Shoot me a pm if you want to discuss them.
Yes, this....

Jesus was Black, Ronald Reagan was the devil, and the Government lied about 9/11.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acolytes View Post
It doesn't look like really does anything besides fill the gap between the backstrap and magazine.
Pretty sure that its. I got one as my first gun, no complaints after 3 years. Also check to see if S&W is running their usual 2 free mags or $50 rebate.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:58 PM

I'm looking at getting a 9mm as my first gun, YouTube has videos but it's always good to get more info. Can the trigger be changed for a lighter pull and where would ve a good place to purchase the pistol?
Old 08-24-2010, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tym2getbizeee View Post
I'm looking at getting a 9mm as my first gun, YouTube has videos but it's always good to get more info. Can the trigger be changed for a lighter pull and where would ve a good place to purchase the pistol?
Not sure where you are but most any shop will order it. You can also check budsgunshop.com, they have decent prices.

As for the trigger, there are lots of guides online for a DIY trigger job. You can start with this guy's youtube channel. Personally since it was my first gun, I left it stock because the heavy pull was helpful in learning good trigger control and it's also one of it's safety features. I polished the internals and then later on removed one of the springs.

However, I felt it would be wise to no longer use it for self/home defense because the gun was no longer at manufacturers spec. I leave sd/hd to my 1911 now but if this will be your only gun, you might want to consider this before you do any mods.
Old 08-25-2010, 6:34 AM

Good to know, guys. Thanks for the info. So does that mean I can take that little plug out? It just kind of bugs me that it's there, don't ask me why, just does.

Might have Kerley's order it for me, but they want $399 for it. S&W is running their $50 rebate or 2 free mags. I considered buying it online, but after adding in the DROS and transfer fees, it might just end up being basically the same price anyhow.
Old 08-25-2010, 9:30 AM

Thanks kpw001.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:34 AM

If being patient is worth $50 to you, then wait and watch for them at that price from budsgunshop.com. They reprice them about once a month.
(Bud's is currently showing $344 shipped.)

Re: trigger jobs

Simple process:

call S&W customer service

tell them the trigger is "rough and gritty"

DO NOT tell them it's "stiff"

they'll email a prepaid shipping label

send the frame to them

about 2 weeks later it will arrive MUCH improved

They've done three for us. (My wife shoots a Sigma well, and I currently have one as a car gun. God Bless Texas)
Old 08-25-2010, 1:12 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tym2getbizeee View Post

Turners regularly has the Sigma on sale for $349, plus you get the $50 mail in rebate (or two mags, your choice). The rebate program runs until 10/ 03/ 10. I paid $299 for my SW40VE.

If you go over to the Smith & Wesson Forums and do a search for "Sigma trigger job" you will find out how to remove two springs to dramatically reduce the trigger pull. The general consensus is, this "fix" is fine for a range gun, but may not be good for a SD gun. There have been reports that the trigger may not reset using +P ammo, after getting the trigger job done. If you don't plan on using +P ammo, then you won't encounter any problems.

Life can make you do many things, even kiss a man with a runny nose.

- Mihail Timofeevič Kalašnikov -
Old 08-26-2010, 2:20 AM

Well the problem is, the dealer to dealer transfer fee is ridiculous. It's something like $100, and that's BEFORE the DROS fee. That's why I think just buying it in shop would save me the hassle.
Old 08-26-2010, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchik View Post
Well the problem is, the dealer to dealer transfer fee is ridiculous. It's something like $100, and that's BEFORE the DROS fee. That's why I think just buying it in shop would save me the hassle.
If your dealer is charging you $100 for an FFL transfer, you need to find a new dealer.

Your best (and cheapest) bet would probably be to find a lightly used one via PPT.
Old 10-16-2010, 1:38 PM
Banned

I own the Sigma 9. Trigger can be mastered with practice. Put a 1000 rounds thrugh it then decide what you want to do. Trigger loosens up a bit with use. Also, from what I've read, dry fire it now and then. This also helps trigger loosen up. Good luck!

Last edited by HspncElvis; 11-24-2010 at 7:35 AM..