Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 05-07-2006, 9:33 PM

Default whats the benefit of c&r?

what are the benefits of a c&r?
Old 05-07-2006, 9:42 PM

A C&R allows you to have C&R listed rifles mailed to your door with no DROS or transfer fee from the FFL. On C&R handguns you still have to DROS them.

The down side some will say is that you can be inspected with a days notice and your bound book must be in good order.

There are few more little reasons but this is it for the most part.

-ken
Old 05-07-2006, 9:44 PM
Blue Blaze Irregular
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Having a Collector of Curios & Relics Federal Firearms License allows you to...

receive long guns that are at least 50 years old directly from out of state. You can order them from wholesalers, just like gun stores do, and have them shipped right to your door. You can buy 50 year old long guns off of the internet auction sites, out of state gun shops, or internet gun forum trader boards too.

travel to other states and buy any California-legal curio & relic firearms and bring them back with you to California. This includes handguns.

If you also get something called a Certificate of Eligability from CalDOJ then you can skip the 10 day waiting period when you buy C&R firearms from California gun dealers and be exempt from the "one handgun per month" rule when buying handguns, even modern ones, from California gun dealers.

-- edited to add --
OOPS! Too slow. Kenc9 beat me to it.

"Knowledge is power... For REAL!" - Jack Austin
Old 05-07-2006, 11:26 PM

You can also get discounts from places like Midway and Brownell's. I recoup my $30.00 three year fee in the first six months with discounts from Midway.
Pete
Old 05-08-2006, 1:38 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA
You can also get discounts from places like Midway and Brownell's. I recoup my $30.00 three year fee in the first six months with discounts from Midway.
Pete
Me too, only I do it EACH order just about.

The best way I can put when some asks about a C&R is that it is like a driving license. Yes, you can get around without one, and you can use the bus or a train to go long distances; but you can do some much more, by yourself, with a car. A C&R is your car in the gun world (well a 01FFL would be your car, but the C&R is like your bike). Aside from the great things already listed, I've also used mine for:

- Safe firearm handling requirement by CMP.

- Proof of residency for handgun purchases in the state.
Old 05-08-2006, 3:26 AM

does inspection happen often?
Old 05-08-2006, 3:38 AM
Veteran Member

I bleieve the day's notice inspection applies to 01FFLs only. I have been told by several people, not sure how accurate it is, that C&R holders get advanced notice and can request to have the inspection done at the local ATF field office. There isn't much that can be inspected at your home, outside of maybe confirming that you have proper storage for all the firearms you have purchased with it, but even then a safe receipt would probably suffice. Still, I have not heard of anyone being 'inspected' in their first term of C&R license. The few people who have posted on Arfcom that they have been inspected all stated that they were in their 2nd or 3rd C&R term when they were inspected. Even then, it was just a bound book to the office and a short discussion. I believe someone said they basically asked to see his book, flipped through it, asked what his intentions as a collector were, and that was more or less it. Seems painless enough.

Keep in mind you deal with the ATF not the DOJ. Pretty much as long as everything is by the book, they file their report and you are on with your life.

Last edited by NeoWeird; 05-08-2006 at 3:42 AM..
Old 05-08-2006, 3:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoWeird
what do you mean?
Kenc9 stated,"The down side some will say is that you can be inspected with a days notice and your bound book must be in good order."
Old 05-08-2006, 5:58 AM

I think there are C&R guys who don't keep their log book up to date.
Old 05-08-2006, 3:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalExile
I think there are C&R guys who don't keep their log book up to date.
They're called IDIOTS.
Old 05-08-2006, 5:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I bleieve the day's notice inspection applies to 01FFLs only. I have been told by several people, not sure how accurate it is, that C&R holders get advanced notice and can request to have the inspection done at the local ATF field office. There isn't much that can be inspected at your home, outside of maybe confirming that you have proper storage for all the firearms you have purchased with it, but even then a safe receipt would probably suffice. Still, I have not heard of anyone being 'inspected' in their first term of C&R license. The few people who have posted on Arfcom that they have been inspected all stated that they were in their 2nd or 3rd C&R term when they were inspected. Even then, it was just a bound book to the office and a short discussion. I believe someone said they basically asked to see his book, flipped through it, asked what his intentions as a collector were, and that was more or less it. Seems painless enough.

Keep in mind you deal with the ATF not the DOJ. Pretty much as long as everything is by the book, they file their report and you are on with your life.
My inspection was in my 2nd term. I got 2 weeks notice. I requested the inspection at the atf office. They took a small sample of my transactions & noted everything was in order. I was not asked to bring guns with me. There are NO requirements on an -03 licensee as to safes/locks/storage. The 'inspection' took around 20 minutes...certainly nothing to sweat.

Inspection requirements are VERY different for an 01 licensee, and more so for those dealing in NFA items. Again, you know what you're agreeing to once you sign the application...shouldn't be any surprises.

-hanko
Old 05-08-2006, 8:48 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -hanko
My inspection was in my 2nd term. I got 2 weeks notice. I requested the inspection at the atf office. They took a small sample of my transactions & noted everything was in order. I was not asked to bring guns with me. There are NO requirements on an -03 licensee as to safes/locks/storage. The 'inspection' took around 20 minutes...certainly nothing to sweat.

Inspection requirements are VERY different for an 01 licensee, and more so for those dealing in NFA items. Again, you know what you're agreeing to once you sign the application...shouldn't be any surprises.

-hanko
I vaugey remember someone saying something about handguns being inspected, but not longguns. I don't remember the logic behind it, but that was what I remember hearing.

Also, I thought one of the things that you sign or initial on the application states that you have a location to secure and properly store the firearms you acquire with your C&R. I may have just interpreted their meaning of it differently, but the way it was worded made me think it meant you had a location with restricted access where they could be kept away from people who don't need to be in them. Of course I could easily be wrong...
Old 05-11-2006, 10:09 AM

For places to mail in C&R copies, check this link.

Don't forget DPMS. They also honor FFL-03 and gives dealer prices.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:38 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Also, I thought one of the things that you sign or initial on the application states that you have a location to secure and properly store the firearms you acquire with your C&R. I may have just interpreted their meaning of it differently, but the way it was worded made me think it meant you had a location with restricted access where they could be kept away from people who don't need to be in them. Of course I could easily be wrong...
There is no such requirement for an 03FFL.