Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 08-21-2010, 1:17 PM
Übermensch
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default Skinny person CCW?

Anybody out there concealed carry without the benefit of size on your side? I don't have my CCW and haven't attempted to look into one because I'm a thin person and I can't even imagine how I would successfully conceal a reasonably sized pistol on my person.

Any success stories? Examples? Show me your rigs!
Old 08-21-2010, 1:22 PM

Anything is more reasonable than nothing. You don't have to carry a hand cannon to benefit from carrying a gun.
Old 08-21-2010, 1:25 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Try supersizing every meal for a month or two.

Offering low cost private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.
Old 08-21-2010, 1:25 PM
Calguns Addict

I don't see how skinny is a problem as long as you wear loose clothing o jackets...

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice, but let me remind you also that moderation in the persuit of justice is no virtue" -Barry Goldwater

“Remember that a government big enough to give you everything you want is also big enough to take away everything you have.” -Gerald Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by cudakidd View Post
I want Blood for Oil. Heck I want Blood for Oil over hand wringing sentiment!
^
Old 08-21-2010, 1:26 PM
Calguns Addict

If you want to pack on weight and muscle I suggest you consume more than 20 calories per pound of body weight you have right now. As well as having 6-8 meals a day.

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice, but let me remind you also that moderation in the persuit of justice is no virtue" -Barry Goldwater

“Remember that a government big enough to give you everything you want is also big enough to take away everything you have.” -Gerald Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by cudakidd View Post
I want Blood for Oil. Heck I want Blood for Oil over hand wringing sentiment!
^
Old 08-21-2010, 1:28 PM

no skinny jeans. gotta wear them baggy!

“The more you train in peace, the less you bleed in war.” -Howard Wadsin

F/S: Glock|Full OEM FDE|G17 Gen 4|[SF Bay Area|San Jose]
Old 08-21-2010, 1:53 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm skinny too and am planning on trying to get my CCW.

So I've been looking at holsters like you. I've given up on anything IWB. It just doesn't work if you're skinny. Your pants will look ridiculous and your body contours are in all the wrong spots for IWB to work. Especially with Kydex.

So I've narrowed it down to small leather OWB belt holsters that ride high, close, and tight. Some examples that I'm looking at are the Don Hume H721 OT, the Don Hume JIT, and just about any Yaqui or band type exposed barrel holster from any make.

You won't be able to tuck your shirt and you have to make sure the shirt is long and loose enough to cover properly. But since untucked is the style nowadays that shouldn't matter. Since we're so skinny we can't use a hip mount. We have to use small of the back or appendix carry to hide the weapon.

Good luck in your search. If you discover something that works better than what I've found, let me know.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 08-21-2010, 3:02 PM
Super Moderator

Location: West Oakland, low crawling up on Emeryville and Berkeley.

Quote:
It just doesn't work if you're skinny. Your pants will look ridiculous and your body contours are in all the wrong spots for IWB to work. Especially with Kydex.
I disagree; I'm 6' and around 150, does that count as skinny? Anyway I've found that IWB is the best carry method for me on a daily basis. Get a good holster and belt and buy your pants one inch bigger than you normally would.

What I've found is key is your upper wear - I haven't worn a shirt tucked into my pants for at least the past decade. I'll wear my Levis with the Wilderness Original Instructor Belt and a Comp-Tac Mtac IWB for my Glock 30, a plain old wife beater undershirt and some flavor of loose Guayabera button down. My Glock 30 and my Smith 386 Sc/S are pretty much invisible.

It also depends on how you carry yourself and how you move; you learn not to bend at the waist to pick stuff up and not to reach overhead with the arm on the side you carry on.

I have a perfect Burning Man attendance record: zero.

You do know there are more guns in the country than there are in the city.
Everyone and their mums is packin' round here!
Like who?
Farmers.
Who else?
Farmers' mums.
Old 08-21-2010, 3:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuarterBoreGunner View Post
I disagree; I'm 6' and around 150, does that count as skinny? Anyway I've found that IWB is the best carry method for me on a daily basis. Get a good holster and belt and buy your pants one inch bigger than you normally would.

It also depends on how you carry yourself and how you move; you learn not to bend at the waist to pick stuff up and not to reach overhead with the arm on the side you carry on.
I'm 6' 150 also. I've tried many IWB holsters including the Comp-Tac Mtac IWB with no luck. I would have to buy pants and belts 2" larger and even then I would have HUGE gaps in my pants making my jewels very chilly when the wind blows. And that's trying to carry a tiny Kahr PM9. I can't imagine how big my pants would have to be to make a bigger gun work. My nuts would freeze off in the winter.

My back and butt contours also won't allow the Comp-Tac to fit. I have this valley between by butt and back that no IWB holster can span properly. Heck, even my OWB Blade Tech IDPA Sting Ray Kydex belt holster for my Sig P228 concealed better than the Comp-Tac with the Kahr PM9 on me. That's why it has to be a OWB holster for me. I also don't have to buy a whole new wardrobe with a OWB holster.

Bodies are not alike. What works for you may not work for others. I'm glad you found something that worked for you. Perhaps it will work for the OP too. But what worked for you absolutely didn't work for me.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater

Last edited by k1dude; 08-21-2010 at 3:17 PM..
Old 08-21-2010, 3:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Bodies are not alike. What works for you may not work for others.
I stand corrected; yes, obviously this is true. OP, unfortunately you're going to end up with a whole bunch of holsters that you tried and did have any luck with. I think everybody that CCWs ends up with that pile of stuff that didn't work.

Like who?
Farmers.
Who else?
Farmers' mums.
Old 08-21-2010, 3:29 PM
Banned

At 5'11" and 180lbs I have my challenges. I also do not wear baggy and loose fitting clothes.
I have found that success is a combination of shirt, pants, belt, holster, and firearm. IWB has worked best for me in denim with my CZ.
Old 08-21-2010, 3:34 PM

I am 6'2" and 185. Concealed carry strong side, no way. Just isnt skinny person frindly. I carry IWB, small of my back. I use a CompTac Infidel holster. My go to carry piece is my P220 Carry. Super comfy, dont even take it off when I drive. Its gtg.
Old 08-21-2010, 4:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I carry IWB, small of my back.
I tried this and could never get used to sitting or leaning back against anything.

Like who?
Farmers.
Who else?
Farmers' mums.
Old 08-21-2010, 4:21 PM

This thread is relevant to my interests.

The optimistic part of me believes I may someday actually be able to carry, possibly even without moving.

Anyways, my own research (i.e. Google) has brought up the consensus that something like the Comp-Tac Mtac IWB worn at around 4:00 with a loose overshirt seems the be the most comfortable, even for full size 1911s. I have not been able to verify anything though.

Maybe if I start traveling more on work I'll get that Utah CCW...
Old 08-21-2010, 4:22 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Being skinny is better for CCW, just go up from a medium to a large shirt and wear it untucked. Carry in an IWB in an appendix carry or small of the back. Also the current style of baggy pants with a pocket pistol in a pocket holster works well also. I occasionally see the big fat guys with Tshirts printing in the supermarkets here whereas a skinny guy in a baggy shirt blends right in (with all the meth freaks around).

One rifle, one planet - Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 08-21-2010, 4:22 PM

I'm 5'9, 160.

IWB worked for me. The sig p226 and things like that weren't too comfortable, but the kahr pm9 worked. Either in a pocket holster or an iwb at ~2 or 4 o'clock.

I'd say single stack is a must, with a shorter grip with a mag extension if you need it.
Old 08-21-2010, 5:16 PM
Übermensch

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'm still weighing my options. I don't wear baggy clothes, at all. So that's the most obviously shortcoming I'll face. Maybe it's just a change I need to make.

For reference, I'm 6'4" and 180lbs max.
Old 08-21-2010, 5:29 PM

ankle holster??
Old 08-21-2010, 5:43 PM
Übermensch

On my scrawny legs??? I'd look like I have elephantitis of the foot. hahaha
Old 08-21-2010, 5:46 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm not a small guy, but I wear form fitting clothes. When I'm home in AZ I carry my Ruger LCP. No print IWB or pocket.
Old 08-21-2010, 7:25 PM
Banned

Yup...

Pocket carry and IWB carry of an LCP is nearly undetectable.
Old 08-21-2010, 8:30 PM

A good setup for a skinny guy with wide shoulders is a Blackhawk Serpa with a baggy shirt and/or baggy jacket. I know because this is my build, and also this is my preferred carry method at home with my Glock 27. My girlfriend could not tell where my gun was before she patted me down.

Getting a permit is the hard part. If I could get a permit, I'd definitely figure out how to conceal, even if I weighed 140 pounds at 6'2". There are many concealed carry options for a skinny guy.

Last edited by jakemccoy; 08-21-2010 at 9:16 PM..
Old 08-21-2010, 9:51 PM

Shoulder holster with vest or jacket
Old 08-21-2010, 9:56 PM
Banned

A shoulder holster is not an option in the summer.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:25 PM

I'll second the ankle holster. Many small & light guns out there of suitable caliber for self defense. Pants with loose fitting cuffs hide the evidence.

It's easy to get used to, and one trick is to wear an exercise weight bag strapped to the other ankle, for a balanced gait. Those exercise thingies are a ballistic nylon tube filled with lead or whatever with a Velcro tab, fit snugly at ankle. 18 oz weight on one side, gun on the other, simple and it works. Some guys wear a spare mag bag on the other ankle from gun.

If you want Levi's that fit tight, western style, but have a good wide cuff get Levis 517's. They're 'boot cut' so they have a flare at the cuffs, perfect for an akle carry and nobody would suspect. My normal footwear is 12" logging boots with Vibram lug soles. Both of the pairs I wear most often weigh 6-8 lbs per pair, so a pistola and a pair of sneakers is nothing in comparison!

No doubt that some personal adjustments have to be made for CCW, just goes with the territory.

Last edited by Spirit 1; 08-21-2010 at 10:28 PM..
Old 08-21-2010, 10:38 PM
Veteran Member

Add an inch or two to your pant size, get shirts a size or two bigger, and monkey around with holsters until you find a cant and hip position that works. IWB is usually preferred by skinny people. I don't have a CCW permit, but I carry at home and my wife doesn't even notice when I carry an XD45.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:48 PM

6'1" 160ish. What about tactical shirts? The T-Shirt types with 2 pockets.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:53 PM
Banned

I've carried my LCP in a shirt pocket before. It's about the weight of a wallet, or heavy phone. If it doesn't print, you can get away with it. I just don't like to carry in a shirt unless I have to because I don't like weight on my shirt.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coma13 View Post
I'm still weighing my options. .
Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSR500 View Post
I've carried my LCP in a shirt pocket before. It's about the weight of a wallet, or heavy phone. If it doesn't print, you can get away with it. I just don't like to carry in a shirt unless I have to because I don't like weight on my shirt.
Thanks,

Meh, my buddy said I can have his for 20 bucks so I'll just try it out.

I can see an ankle holster (G19). My jeans are just baggy enough not to be silly looking.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:01 PM

I'd have to disagree I wear a leather vest all summer and I'm far from 160
Old 08-21-2010, 11:02 PM
Calguns Addict

You don't need to gain weight, wear baggy clothes, or strap your firearm to your ankle.

Personally, I think making a firearm part of your daily life is the only way to concealed carry it. If you have a handgun that you need to wear (insert specific shirt/pants) to carry, you'll get sick of it really fast.
You want something that you can carry wearing the same stuff your closet is full of. Personally I don't like ankle holsters they just feel awkward and too distant for me. IWB above my back pocket, if someone was mugging me they'd easily think I was going for my wallet and I can always feel it on my body and know where it is.

I say you just go to your local gun shop and "try on" a few different handgun/holster/carry style combinations. If you're buying (cash in hand), any good dealer worth it's salt will be more than willing to accommodate.

Like someone else said, that's the easy part.
Let us know if you ever get that CCW! haha.

Edit for additional information: This is what I think works perfectly, I am 6'2" - 200 lbs.

It helps that I'm wearing black, but I've done it in normal jeans and a white T and no one has ever called me on it.

Last edited by Anchors; 08-21-2010 at 11:19 PM..
Old 08-21-2010, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coma13 View Post
...I'm still weighing my options...
Ok, that is funny.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlightning559 View Post
I'd have to disagree I wear a leather vest all summer and I'm far from 160
And I wear a black leather jacket, pants, and boots all summer long, so yeah no issue here.

That reminds me. I need a magnetic rig for my bike.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:31 PM

I d like to try wearing one in my boot
Old 08-22-2010, 1:37 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xonetruthcrewx View Post
I am 6'2" and 185. Concealed carry strong side, no way. Just isnt skinny person frindly. I carry IWB, small of my back. I use a CompTac Infidel holster. My go to carry piece is my P220 Carry. Super comfy, dont even take it off when I drive. Its gtg.
Off Topic: Another straight edge dude on CalGuns? My eyes must be deceiving me...
Old 08-22-2010, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanAnchors View Post
Off Topic: Another straight edge dude on CalGuns? My eyes must be deceiving me...
Nope, It is reality. And guess what? Coma13 is edge too. So is King Palm.
Old 08-22-2010, 7:28 AM

For me being 5'10 and 130 single stack guns are easier to conceal. My primary gun is a Glock 36 with an Occidental Gunleather iwb at 4 o'clock and it is very hard to spot. I was out to dinner with my mom yesterday and she didn't notice it. She asked me if I had it since she couldn't tell. I also carry a spare mag owb on my weak side. When I started to carry the only change I made was to buy my pants one inch larger. Still wear med ****rs without a problem. It took trying a few holsters to find what worked best for me. Also a good belt is a must. I wear a Wilderness 5 stitch belt and it supports my gun and mags very well. Best of luck finding a combo that works for you.
Old 08-22-2010, 7:30 AM

Oops. That was supposed to read: I still wear med shirts. My phone won't let me go back and edit the post.
Old 08-22-2010, 9:43 AM
Übermensch

The convergance of the edge in my thread is astounding. I guess the force is strong with me. That, or guns are the new dunks...

Seriously though, it looks like I'll have some shopping to do, in the event that I'm even successful in getting the permit, which I have to admit I'm rather dubious of.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:20 PM

-1 for the ankle holster, it's too hard to draw, at least for a guy who is not a super hero. Plus, it's too hard to run, at least for me it is. The ankle is a good spot for a backup gun though.

Last edited by jakemccoy; 08-22-2010 at 12:24 PM..