Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 08-17-2010, 5:37 PM

Default Federal Law can abolish CA Handgun Roster?

Search fails to show any current threads specifically on this.

Is there hope that changes at the Federal level can result in abolishing the Ca. Approved Handgun roster? (I'm not a religious man, but I can still pray...)

Something along the lines of "Shall not be infringed?" Or what? Any hope?

(Waiting for CA legislature to abolish the nonsense certainly seems dubious at best.)
Old 08-17-2010, 5:39 PM
CGN Contributor

yup, http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Pena_v_Cid

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

FrontSight Training Course certificates available $25, PM for details on them and other options.
No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 08-17-2010, 5:47 PM

McDonald to Nordyke to Pena... It really is a chain of dominos, eh?

Pena 10 days after Nordyke, isn't Nordyke remand per McDonald past due?
Old 08-17-2010, 5:52 PM
CGN Contributor

Nordyke was remanded back to the 3-judge panel of the 9th Circuit, and CRPA just filed an amicus brief today, http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...hlight=nordyke

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

FrontSight Training Course certificates available $25, PM for details on them and other options.
No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 08-17-2010, 5:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Bear View Post
McDonald to Nordyke to Pena... It really is a chain of dominos, eh?
Yup, and each falling domino bumps into at least a couple more side-by-side dominos. Aren't exponents fun?
Old 08-17-2010, 7:10 PM
No, I am not a Moderator!

Congress could pass a law destroying handgun rosters country wide. However, that's not likely in the near term as California's is the only truly onerous one.

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @CalgunsFdn on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 08-17-2010, 7:24 PM

I thought MA made ours look good?

The internet is like a 12 step group. Take what you need and leave the rest.
Old 08-17-2010, 7:31 PM
Dinosaur

Does DC still have a roster that looks suspiciously like ours?
Old 08-17-2010, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonelar View Post
Does DC still have a roster that looks suspiciously like ours?
No, they expanded theirs to be combination of several states' so it covers almost everything.
Old 08-17-2010, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
Congress could pass a law destroying handgun rosters country wide.
Read: Elections matter.

Is it accurate to say that Heller's is the only model of handgun that the Supreme Court has explicitly ruled is protected by the Second Amendment?

Last edited by 2Bear; 08-17-2010 at 8:03 PM..
Old 08-17-2010, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Congress could pass a law destroying handgun rosters country wide. However, that's not likely in the near term as California's is the only truly onerous one.

-Gene
I would suggest that the MA roster alone is more than sufficiently onerous....

Quote:
Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
I thought MA made ours look good?
...but when you consider the totality of our (MA) hand gun roster plus the AG's "consumer protection" regulations governing the sale of handguns, you have a scheme that far exceeds anything experienced by CA gun owners. Very few new guns are available here. Forget about even new Glock or Taurus pistols.
Old 08-17-2010, 8:20 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckle Dragger View Post
when you consider the totality of our (MA) hand gun roster plus the AG's "consumer protection" regulations governing the sale of handguns, you have a scheme that far exceeds anything experienced by CA gun owners. Very few new guns are available here. Forget about even new Glock or Taurus pistols.

You may rest assured that we Californians will come to your aid as soon as we are able to. Hold your ground, and we will relieve you when the necessary precedents are laid down. We're all in this together.

Old 08-17-2010, 8:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Is it accurate to say that Heller's is the only model of handgun that the Supreme Court has explicitly ruled is protected by the Second Amendment?
No. SCOTUS said "The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for
traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home."

Nowhere did it say that Dick Heller's firearm was a singularly protected model.
650-315-2210
http://CoyotePointArmory.com
Old 08-17-2010, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckle Dragger View Post
I would suggest that the MA roster alone is more than sufficiently onerous....
Yours was the one that I almost added to my post above. I just wasn't sure and didn't want to jump the gun.

-Gene

DONATE NOW
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 08-17-2010, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Yours was the one that I almost added to my post above. I just wasn't sure and didn't want to jump the gun.

-Gene
The roster isn't even the worst part. Were we to eliminate that nothing would change. The AG's regs would remain and there is no list of approved or prohibited handguns. The AGs has implemented their regulations through self-certification - the manufacturer certifies their firearm meet the regs and when the gun goes on sale, the AG sues them if they don't agree.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
No. SCOTUS said "The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for
traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home."

Nowhere did it say that Dick Heller's firearm was a singularly protected model.
I asked regarding that specific language as it struck me as odd when I saw it in Gene's release on Pena here, (though I did paraphrase it a bit out of context):

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=179227

Brett Thomas seeks to own the same model of handgun that the Supreme Court ordered District of Columbia officials to register for Dick Heller. However, that particular model is no longer manufactured, and its maker is no longer available to process the handgun’s certification through the bureaucracy.

“There is only one model of handgun that the Supreme Court has explicitly ruled is protected by the Second Amendment and yet California will not allow me to purchase that gun,” said Mr. Thomas.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
“There is only one model of handgun that the Supreme Court has explicitly ruled is protected by the Second Amendment and yet California will not allow me to purchase that gun,” said Mr. Thomas.[/I]
You're reading too much into that statement. Only one firearm has had a ruling pertain directly to it - though the core ruling of the case is that all common handguns are protected. "Explicitly ruled" doesn't mean "Explicitly ruled at the expense of all others."

-Gene

DONATE NOW

Old 08-17-2010, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383green View Post
You may rest assured that we Californians will come to your aid as soon as we are able to. Hold your ground, and we will relieve you when the necessary precedents are laid down. We're all in this together.

I'm generally pretty darn happy to be living in California, but the above really made me feel PROUD to be a Californian for the first time in a long time.

Reminds me of a Patton or MacArthur quote. Thanks.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:39 PM

Quote:
However, that's not likely in the near term as California's is the only truly onerous one.

-Gene
Hey! Let's just get our California Senators to propose it in the next...

Oh, wait. Scratch that.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:08 PM

So does the three judge panel determine if it needs to be sent back to the en banc panel for opinion, or can they just rule, (remand?), in favor of Nordyke per McDonald?

Will McDonald/Nordyke/Pena also lead to unraveling the one-per-month handgun and firearm waiting period restrictions? (Ooops, did I drool?)

What about the handgun demonstration specified in Penal Code 12071(b)(8)(D)? Would that survive constitutional scrutiny, (not that it's such bad thing to know how to use your gun, it's just bad to be constitutionally repugnant.)

Last edited by 2Bear; 08-17-2010 at 11:23 PM.. Reason: 12071(b)(8)(D) question added.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Hey! Let's just get our California Senators to propose it in the next...

Oh, wait. Scratch that.
Hey, let's elect some new senators that will propose it!
Old 08-18-2010, 7:52 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
So does the three judge panel determine if it needs to be sent back to the en banc panel for opinion, or can they just rule, (remand?), in favor of Nordyke per McDonald?
I believe Gene has said in the past that that is highly unlikely.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:55 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Search fails to show any current threads specifically on this.

Is there hope that changes at the Federal level can result in abolishing the Ca. Approved Handgun roster? (I'm not a religious man, but I can still pray...)

Something along the lines of "Shall not be infringed?" Or what? Any hope?

(Waiting for CA legislature to abolish the nonsense certainly seems dubious at best.)
I believe that there is already a federal "law" that states precisely that (or actually a relatively low numbered amendment). What makes you think that the pols in CA would pay any attention to ANOTHER one?
Old 08-18-2010, 11:51 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
The 2A question in Nordyke is settled law thanks to McDonald. What is being re-heard is the original panel's determination, only now through the prism of McDonald, that Alameda County was within their rights and prerogatives to declare all county property to include the fairgrounds as a "sensitive place". As the CRPAF amici brilliantly points out, the county is on very thin ice when measured against the concept of a "fundemental right" and they showed no evidence or data that would support that conclusion and which would raise to the level of a compelling interest on the part of the state for their finding in adopting the ordinance.

Prior to higher rulings the three judge panel ruled that the county could do that, even though they ruled 2A incorporated. The later, higher, rulings have triggered a completely different level of requirements and counsel for the Nordykes has argued that a re-hearing was merited. The court agreed and the briefs are flowing in.

While nothing in a litigation is a slam dunk, I expect the "sensitive places" concept as applied to Alameda County ordinance is going to fall. There seems to be little wiggle room for them on it. The question then becomes does the county appeal and risk another landmark from the SCOTUS? Some of the CW on the matter leans toward the county cutting it's losses (after more than a decade) and giving up if they loose.

I hope they do.

Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.

Quote:
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison
Old 08-18-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogatPlay View Post
Some of the CW on the matter leans toward the county cutting it's losses (after more than a decade) and giving up if they loose.

I hope they do.
I hope so too! Thanks for the cogent closing, er, summary.

"They're headin' for the hills!"
Old 08-18-2010, 1:29 PM
Calguns Addict

2bear, can't quote right now. The panel will rule for one if the two parties if the facts known are adequate to make such a decision. If they feel there is need for more discovery or resolving some other question of fact rhett cann remand to district for further trial, very unlikely. The panel can't really just "punt" the case back to en banc panel or SCOTUS