Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 08-15-2010, 9:18 PM

Default What is the best set of competition dies for 223

No matter what the price. What us the best? I'm curious if the most expensive dies are really the best. So far redding comp die set is just over 200 bucks and some of the others are just over a hundred. Does money buy perfection?

I have a redding set already and I'm having problems crushing the shoulder when full length sizing them. I backed the die off a quarter turn and gonna go a bit more.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:02 PM
Calguns Addict

I don't think it is the die, Redding dies are very good. Read and follow the instructions and make sure you do not overlube.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:11 PM

i think over lube is my problem. Im just spraying the lube on them while there in the bucket. They are almost wet when they go in the press
Old 08-15-2010, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrskylinetou View Post
i think over lube is my problem. Im just spraying the lube on them while there in the bucket. They are almost wet when they go in the press
yes, less lube. You need only a light film. Anymore and you'll get "hydraulic" dents.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:23 PM

I just tried one with no lube and there were no dents.

I haven't had anyone recommended a die that they think is the best or what have they had the best luck with?
Old 08-15-2010, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrskylinetou View Post
I just tried one with no lube and there were no dents.

I haven't had anyone recommended a die that they think is the best or what have they had the best luck with?
I think you'll get a wide variety of opinions with that question. Most manufacturer dies are decent... probably would be easier with which ones not to get. lol

I'd be interested in hearing as to what particular seating dies are better with certain bullets... such as which die is better to work with polymer tips (Hornady V-Max, for example)
Old 08-16-2010, 8:41 AM
Veteran Member

In my opinion, Redding makes the best competition dies,using the S bushing dies. If I was loading for a .223 Rem. for use in an AR, I'd get the full length sizing S die with the competition seater.

For my .308 Win. in a bolt gun, I use the Redding set with the neck sizing S die, the full length body sizing die when I need to F/L resize and the competition seater.

Forester also makes bushing dies as does Hornady. Bushing sizing dies seem to be the best for making match grade ammo. I just stuck with Redding.
Old 08-16-2010, 9:33 AM

I watched a YT video last night from Ammosmith demonstrating both the RCBS and Redding Competition dies. The RCBS has the convenience of top-loading the bullet, but the Redding was superior in preciseness... where it holds the bullet for seating more accurately resulting in less run-out.
A little bit more expensive than the RCBS, but well worth it if you're looking for squeezing out all the accuracy you can.
Old 08-16-2010, 8:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Custom dies would probably be best but I don't have any of those so:

Best - Redding, but they are expensive
Close to best - Forster, less expensive and almost as good as Redding,
Very good - RCBS
Not very good - Lee, the only exception is their universal depriming die.

Have not tried others but may get Hornady .50 Beowulf dies soon.
Old 08-16-2010, 8:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIGHT762 View Post
In my opinion, Redding makes the best competition dies,using the S bushing dies. If I was loading for a .223 Rem. for use in an AR, I'd get the full length sizing S die with the competition seater.
THIS...........
Midway sells the Type S Match Bushing full length die and Competition Seating die for $140. Take the expander ball off the decapping stem!
You can custom fit your neck tension by changing the bushings. No crimping is needed.
I use it for everything 52gr to 90gr. Cost more than my press but worth it.
Old 08-16-2010, 9:31 PM

Great. That's the info I'm looking for. I'll order a set next week. I have had no less then ten people to buy the redding s type. I'm looking at getting the three die set for 200 but the one for 140 looks great. I really trying to get perfection and I don't think there is anything better than redding.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:32 PM
Veteran Member

Just remember,you have to get bushings ($12.00 for reg and $22.00 for the Ti-Ni). Depending on your brass, you may need a couple of sizes. For my .308 brass, I use a .331" for Hornady brass,.333" for Winchester brass and .337" for Federal brass.

Use a good set of digital calipers and measure the outside diameter of a loaded round around the case neck and subtract .001" to get your bushing size.

Be sure to remove the expander in the S die(it comes with one) and replace it with the provided no expander nut.
Old 08-17-2010, 3:56 AM

What's the expanded do?
Old 08-17-2010, 3:57 AM

Sorry the expander
Old 08-17-2010, 6:07 AM
Veteran Member

The expander button pulls through the neck on the upstroke in the resizing die. It can cause misalignment in the neck. That's why you use the proper sized bushing. The bushings size the neck properly without having to use an expander button. Better for accuracy.

I would advise you to get an experienced reloader in your area who uses the S dies to give you a hand when setting up your dies.
Old 08-17-2010, 8:11 AM
Veteran Member

Reddings are great. I use them on my RockChucker for match stuff & also on my Dillons. I also have the old style RCBS set that you set the bullet in the upper part of the die, it seats the bullet fairly straight, but can not be used on a progressive press since it uses a extended shell holder.