Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Old 05-02-2006, 10:24 PM

Lightbulb Winchester Safes at Sam's club

I did alot of looking for a Security Fire Rated Gun Safe. I found this one at Sam's Club for $581.00. 60"X30"X22", with a fire rating of 1200 degrees for 32 Minutes. It weighs in at 504 lbs, kind of a bear to move but can be done with dolly. It is a 12-24 gun rack with shelving. Has an electronic combo lock with a three bar unlock handle, the door is locked with 4 each 1" locking rods. The hinge is on the outside but the way the inside is made, even if they cut the hinges off the door still can't be opened. Go to Sam's Club online and check it our or go to the company that makes it, they are called Granite Security Products, Inc. and can be found at www.granitesafe.com. I got one and like it alot, not worried about my guns now, as I had been having problems with my old Sentry which is not fire rated. Might be just what you are looking for in an affordable safe. Bob alias 74man
Old 05-03-2006, 8:59 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74man
I did alot of looking for a Security Fire Rated Gun Safe. I found this one at Sam's Club for $581.00. 60"X30"X22", with a fire rating of 1200 degrees for 32 Minutes. It weighs in at 504 lbs, kind of a bear to move but can be done with dolly. It is a 12-24 gun rack with shelving. Has an electronic combo lock with a three bar unlock handle, the door is locked with 4 each 1" locking rods. The hinge is on the outside but the way the inside is made, even if they cut the hinges off the door still can't be opened. Go to Sam's Club online and check it our or go to the company that makes it, they are called Granite Security Products, Inc. and can be found at www.granitesafe.com. I got one and like it alot, not worried about my guns now, as I had been having problems with my old Sentry which is not fire rated. Might be just what you are looking for in an affordable safe. Bob alias 74man

i'm looking for a safe and went to the website. the price is $978 and not $581. when did you buy it??
Old 05-03-2006, 9:36 AM

^ He said it is $581 at Sam's Club and to goto granitesafe.com to check out the specifics .... if suggested retail is $978 and it is for sale at Sam's Club for $581 then it sounds like a deal to me.
Old 05-03-2006, 4:24 PM

Bought one about three weeks ago. Good deal. Weighs about 600# so be careful and get some assistance with moving it around.
Old 05-03-2006, 4:38 PM

Quote:
The hinge is on the outside but the way the inside is made, even if they cut the hinges off the door still can't be opened.
Outside hinges are the way to go. The bolts hold the door on anyway, so you're more than happy to have a burgler waste his time trying to break the hinges off. Plus the door opens wider.
Old 05-03-2006, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy
Bought one about three weeks ago. Good deal. Weighs about 600# so be careful and get some assistance with moving it around.
If you don't mind my asking, did you get it for the $581 74man posted? or the $978+ that I see on the website? Please tell me it was the 978 because I just bought an identical safe from Home Depot for $899.00
Old 05-03-2006, 8:09 PM

Talking Price was for Sam's Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC
If you don't mind my asking, did you get it for the $581 74man posted? or the $978+ that I see on the website? Please tell me it was the 978 because I just bought an identical safe from Home Depot for $899.00
I think he said he bought the safe at Sam's club, but check granitesafe.com for the specs! $581.00 at Sams's..
Old 05-03-2006, 8:21 PM

Go to the Sam's club.com and check for yourself, I paid 623.85 out the door. It is very heavy, you will need help and a good dolly. Three men might be able to handle it. They do not deliver to your house. Pickup truck and a Refrigerator dolly and three guys should get it to your house. Good luck.
Old 05-03-2006, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Go to the Sam's club.com and check for yourself, I paid 623.85 out the door. It is very heavy, you will need help and a good dolly. Three men might be able to handle it. They do not deliver to your house. Pickup truck and a Refrigerator dolly and three guys should get it to your house. Good luck.
I just cancelled the HomeDepot order and joined Sam's Club. I'm going tomorrow!

I checked the website a few weeks ago before ordering at HomeDepot safe and the $581 safe didn't come up just the $987 ones. Do they not stock them all the time?

Thanks for the info.
Old 05-03-2006, 9:43 PM

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...=5&item=189761

Pick-up only.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inoxmark

thanks for the link!!!! when i checked, it was 900+. i'm already have a membership there, so i'm going there tomorrow to buy it. thanks.
Old 05-12-2006, 8:36 PM
Veteran Member

+1 for 74man for finding the safe.

ok. i finally got the safe yesterday. its nice. it comes with three shelves and the top one. it only weights about 510lbs. not that much, but will work cause i'm going to put three floor anchors on it this weekend!!! Thanks for the info 74 man!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-12-2006, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Thanks 74man. Deal! I'm picking mine up tomorrow morning.

=vonsmith=
Old 05-15-2006, 5:59 PM

I just bought one of these and bolted it down, then it dawned on me - Is this thing DOJ approved? I looked through the stuff it came with, DOJ site, and the Granite Security site and I cant find anything about it being approved. I think I just screwed up, hopefully someone can prove me wrong.
Old 05-15-2006, 6:34 PM

I'd be awful surprised if that safe isn't approved. That 1 is alot better then mine and mine is an approved model.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:50 PM
Veteran Member

i'm sure it is. i bought one about a week ago and its nice for the buck. it meets all the requirements for DOJ. plus, all they ask is for a copy of receipt of a safe. when you pay 600 bux for it, they are ok with it.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalsig
I just bought one of these and bolted it down, then it dawned on me - Is this thing DOJ approved? I looked through the stuff it came with, DOJ site, and the Granite Security site and I cant find anything about it being approved. I think I just screwed up, hopefully someone can prove me wrong.
Does it have a UL listing as a security device. If it does that's all you need to be "DOJ approved". Even if it doesn't it has all the features required so when you fill out the paperwork when purchasing a gun you just list the model and initial the page saying that your safe has all the features required. Don't worry bout it.
Old 05-22-2006, 8:24 PM
Veteran Member

That is a great deal!
Old 05-29-2006, 11:57 PM

My girlfriends father bought a winchester safe from sam's. He got it for $400.00 because it was a floor model with a few scrathes. I brought it home for them with my truck and 3 men and a good dolly can do it. I would gladly take it off his hands for $400.00 bucks.

FYI------fill the dolly's tires with air befor you try to pick up the safe. Learned that one the hard way.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:45 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Gun safes do not need California approval. However, lock boxes do.

If it's a fire-rated safe, it has to be UL Listed. That would automatically make it CA Approved.

If it is not UL Listed, then it must meet certain requirements, have a combination dial on it capable of more than 10,000 combinations, have 3 bolts actuated by a handle that secure the door, and that the steel is a certain thickness, etc...
Old 06-04-2006, 8:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Talking

Picked up one of these bad boys from Sam's Club today! These things are heavy!! Looks and feels great though!
Old 06-05-2006, 10:14 PM

Picked one up last week. Great find 74! thanks!