Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:13 PM
Banned

Default a ruger mini 30 in combat ?

How would a Ruger Mini 30 compare to an AR-15 in combat ? Personally I tihnk it would do better since it has more knockdown power.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock Night View Post
How would a Ruger Mini 30 compare to an AR-15 in combat ? Personally I tihnk it would do better since it has more knockdown power.

Visit our forum at- http://www.socalprecisionforum.com/index.php

Become a SoCal Precision Rifle Team fan on Facebook- http://www.facebook.com/groups/SoCalPrecisionRifleTeam
Old 08-10-2010, 10:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Lightbulb

Quote:
Well, the 7.62x39 has more knockdown power, but that is for nothing if the rifle is unreliable, jams, and has problems with battlefield performance.

The Mini-30 is a fine rifle. But there is no steady information about it in battlefield/combat use.
The AR-15 (and it's variants) on the other hand, has 40+ years of battle-tested combat experience.
My wife sleeps better knowing we have a zombie killer... Saiga AK47! Although my neighbor with his AR has restless nights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksandreCz View Post
Thank god the Federal Government is there to protect us from the Federal Government
WTS: Revision 'Desert Locust' tactical Ballistic/Protective eyewear goggles NEW & USED pairs
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=737563
Old 08-10-2010, 10:39 PM

40+ years of jamming and getting soldiers killed experience.

Hey, I fixed it for ya!
Old 08-10-2010, 10:44 PM

Ya, that must be why they are using them extensively throughout battlefields the world over..oh that's right. A 5.56 will kill a terrorist without its "knockdown" power, don't buy in to all the hype. If you are trained properly, you will know where to shoot to drop someone quickly (i.e. failure to stop drills). And as a great man once told me, "Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting twice"- General Mattis, Fallujah, Iraq June 2004.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:52 PM

Ruger: the nation's first choice in tacticool, scenarios.

amirite lol?
Old 08-10-2010, 10:59 PM

Ask the A-Team.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...php?p=10566996

Ak Parts kit, 80% AR-10
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=707022
Old 08-10-2010, 11:17 PM

You're right.

I take it back.

I take it all back.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:27 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Why not just use an Ak?
Old 08-11-2010, 12:32 AM
Veteran Member

The knock down power is BS. If the 5.56 performs ANYTHING on humans like it does vs rabbits, then I would hands down take the 5.56 AR. I love my mini 30, and have hunted with it as well as my 5.56 AR, and I would still pick my 5.56.

That being said, my mini-30 was my go-to gun prior to my ARs and AK-74. Its very reliable and hits right where I aim it every time.

Check out my LMT .308 AR
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotton View Post
I have to try that method of attaching the front of a sling to the gun via pubic hair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomb_on_bus View Post
Best part of buying that stock is it comes with its own complimentary jar of anal lube! There were several flavors to choose from, regular, hot cinnamon, or bacon. Im a man of danger so I chose Hot cinnamon to use with my bump fire buttstock.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:33 AM

I once read there are some police forces that use mini's. Is that still the case?
Old 08-11-2010, 12:43 AM

I know my father used a mini-14 back in the 80's that he purchased through the department, but they have been carrying AR's for quite some time now, not sure about other departments but I think it is safe to say the same about them.
Old 08-11-2010, 1:37 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke
I once read there are some police forces that use mini's. Is that still the case?
California Department of Corrections & Rehabilitation still uses Mini-14's.
Old 08-11-2010, 5:08 AM

Do you plan on taking your Mini-30 into combat?
Old 08-11-2010, 5:14 AM
short bus driver

The lack of reliable large capacity magazines for the Ruger Mini-30, is a serious downside to the Mini-30.
Better suited with a SKS, Saiga-762 or AK variant for a 7.62x39mm rifle platform. Since, you'll get better reliablity and accuracy with those than with the Mini-30.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
San Bernardino County Sheriff Department has had Ruger Mini-14s in their patrol cars since the 1980s.
Regular deputies gets Mini14s, SWAT gets AR15s.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 08-11-2010 at 5:17 AM..
Old 08-11-2010, 5:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoftheright View Post
(i.e. failure to stop drills)
aka: Mozambique Drill...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozambique_Drill

The Mozambique Drill, also known as the Failure to Stop Drill, or Failure Drill, is a close-quarter shooting technique in which the shooter fires twice into the torso of a target (known as a double tap to the center of mass) momentarily assesses the hits, then follows them up with a carefully aimed shot to the head of the target.
The third shot should be aimed to destroy the brain or, for a more immediate effect, the brain stem, killing the target and preventing the target from retaliating. The drill was added to the modern technique of gunfighting by Jeff Cooper based on the experience of one of his students, Mike Rousseau, while on duty in Mozambique. Rousseau was later killed in action in the Rhodesian War.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:38 AM

why not just get a 7.62x39 upper for an ar and call it good. then you dont have to re train the soldiers on a different gun
Old 08-20-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Bear View Post
aka: Mozambique Drill...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozambique_Drill

The Mozambique Drill, also known as the Failure to Stop Drill, or Failure Drill, is a close-quarter shooting technique in which the shooter fires twice into the torso of a target (known as a double tap to the center of mass) momentarily assesses the hits, then follows them up with a carefully aimed shot to the head of the target.
The third shot should be aimed to destroy the brain or, for a more immediate effect, the brain stem, killing the target and preventing the target from retaliating. The drill was added to the modern technique of gunfighting by Jeff Cooper based on the experience of one of his students, Mike Rousseau, while on duty in Mozambique. Rousseau was later killed in action in the Rhodesian War.
Also know as two in the pink, one in the think!
Old 08-20-2010, 12:13 PM
Banned

There's always the 5.45x39. They didn't adopt that round randomly, it has many of the best features of both the 5.56 and the 7.62x39.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Who would want to take a mini anything into combat? If you feel the need to shot a 7.62x39, there are many proven battle rifles chambered in 7.62x39 out there.

Offering low cost private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
Who would want to take a mini anything into combat? If you feel the need to shot a 7.62x39, there are many proven battle rifles chambered in 7.62x39 out there.
That's true. And normally I could think of a lot of different rifles I could use for those purposes. In California though, the mini is a decent option for a SHTF rifle since we can attach muzzle brakes, and still have a detachable magazine, etc. You might ask, why not get a Saiga if that is the case? Hell, I don't know, you could probably do that too. My grab and go rifle for when the zombies come is a mini 14 though.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto4Fun View Post
Also know as two in the pink, one in the think!
"You wont be able to tell the difference when I put two in your chest and one in your head"
Old 08-20-2010, 12:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSevenDeuce View Post
That's true. And normally I could think of a lot of different rifles I could use for those purposes. In California though, the mini is a decent option for a SHTF rifle since we can attach muzzle brakes, and still have a detachable magazine, etc. You might ask, why not get a Saiga if that is the case? Hell, I don't know, you could probably do that too. My grab and go rifle for when the zombies come is a mini 14 though.
Why not an AK with a MM grip? A featureless AR with a 7.62x39 upper, a SKS and stripper clips (almost as fast to load!), a featureless VZ58, Saiga, etc. There are so many options that have been battle proven over many years. Minis were not designed nor built for battle. They are not user friendly when it comes to battlefield repairs. Mags are more expensive and less common. Etc.

Offering low cost private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
Why not an AK with a MM grip? A featureless AR with a 7.62x39 upper, a SKS and stripper clips (almost as fast to load!), a featureless VZ58, Saiga, etc. There are so many options that have been battle proven over many years. Minis were not designed nor built for battle. They are not user friendly when it comes to battlefield repairs. Mags are more expensive and less common. Etc.
Those are all great options. One thing though, when Sturm Ruger designed the Mini 14 it was closely based off an existing military design, as I'm sure you know. The manufacturer actually did hope to sell the rifle to the military, although that never happened. Many law enforcement agencies have used it over the years although many are moving towards AR platforms. Certain units in the British Commonwealth do use Mini 14s as their standard issue battle rifle.

I'm not saying that they will out shoot the M4 or anything but they are very reliable, and less expensive than a lot of ARs out there. You can get a used mini 14 for around $500 where I live. As for battlefield repairs, the mini actually has far fewer parts than an M4. I have found maintenance to be a breeze. And cleaning is accomplished in a 3rd of the time as an M4. I will give you that mags are hard to find. That's a shame too. These are just my opinions of course.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
It wouldn't
My gut is good for two things, making poo and spotting crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Do not get your legal advice from Forest Rangers or Sheriffs: that's like getting medical advice from your plumber.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member

The Mini 30 is a sporting rifle. In some trials I've read, they assessed a number of different automatic rifles, from ARs, AKs, FALs, M-14s, Galils, Mini 14s, Steyr AUGs, and the like. Not surprisingly, the Mini finished dead last, as it was never designed to be used and abused like it's mil-spec brethren. It would be like putting a Hummer H2 in a competition with Humvees (the real, military kind), LAVs, BRDMs, and other military-designed vehicles. The H2 is a fine car and can handle some degree of off-roading, but it simply isn't in the same class as a military vehicle whose design is the result of numerous torture tests and very brutal selection criteria. Same with the Mini series of rifles. They're good, fine rifles, would probably work just fine as a SHTF rifle for an individual, but equip an army with them? There's a reason very few military forces have selected the Mini as their platform. If you want to shoot 5.56, ARs abound. If you want a heavier x39, AKs are as ubiquitous as grains of sand on a beach. If you buy these rifles by the hundreds of thousands, as you would if you were equipping a military, your per unit cost would likely be very competitive with those of a Mini, and probably substantially cheaper. And, you'd have a battle-proven, ultra-durable firearm for your solidiers.

Oh - and the rifle that won that competition? It was the Finnish Valmet, basically a Finnish copy of the AK.
Old 08-20-2010, 1:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23 Blast View Post
There's a reason very few military forces have selected the Mini as their platform.
I wasnt aware of ANY military force tha has selected the mini as their platform. Which military uses/used minis?

Check out my LMT .308 AR
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotton View Post
I have to try that method of attaching the front of a sling to the gun via pubic hair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomb_on_bus View Post
Best part of buying that stock is it comes with its own complimentary jar of anal lube! There were several flavors to choose from, regular, hot cinnamon, or bacon. Im a man of danger so I chose Hot cinnamon to use with my bump fire buttstock.
Old 08-20-2010, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpach View Post
I wasnt aware of ANY military force tha has selected the mini as their platform. Which military uses/used minis?
The Bermuda Regiment of the British Army.
Old 08-20-2010, 1:58 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSevenDeuce View Post
The Bermuda Regiment of the British Army.
Yup. Next to the Gurkha regiment, the most feared fighting force in the Commonwealth!
Old 08-20-2010, 2:00 PM

Youtube the user NutnFancy...it will help you make a choice.
Old 08-20-2010, 2:11 PM

I bought my mini when I heard Ak's and Ar's were illegal in CA, but thanks to calguns I have sold the mini and own an Ak (what I originally wanted) and other "evil rifles" I thought we couldn't own in CA.
Old 08-20-2010, 2:59 PM

Don't fee the trolls fellas...
Old 08-20-2010, 3:22 PM

Ruger doesnt really make war weapons.
Old 08-20-2010, 4:12 PM

Ruger has a long history of making guns designed to make politicians happy.
Old 08-20-2010, 4:37 PM
In Memoriam

Ruger actually has a long history of making guns to make SPORTSMEN happy. They made their bones creating US made, legal versions of some of the guns that returning soldiers were familiar with -- standard pistols that looked like Lugers, mini-14s that looked like the M-14s and 10-22 Carbines that looked like 30 carbines, along with Blackhawk pistols that looked like the Colt SAAs that were no longer available.

Now, their quality control has gone in the ****ter, and parts are now plastic, but you cannot impugn the company that Bill Sr. started. Some wag out there will say he sold us out pulling hi-cap mags during the CLinton years to keep the mini out of the AW ban -- yes he did -- as did Springfield with thumbhole SRs and such -- and S&W made some egregious deal as well, before those owners fled back to England. MOST of the firearms companies did -- to TRY to keep their guns in the market. What were they supposed to do?

I think that Mini's are great for a ranch rifle (my buddy has 20 on his ranch) and a scabbard gun, and even a "SHTF and I have 30 round mags I salted away in the 80's" gun. It will never be an AR -- it wasn't supposed to be.

In the movie world, the full auto Mini's are way more reliable than M-16s, and that is why they are used as the basis for futuristic weapons in STARSHIP TROOPERS and others. And you can pimp it up much as you want:

Last edited by X-NewYawker; 08-20-2010 at 4:40 PM..
Old 08-20-2010, 4:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Thumbs up

I think newyorker summed it up the best here.

nice write up as usual.
D1.1 1F/G, 2F/G, 3F/G unlimited range, Steel SMAW
I can make custom shooting targets and paracord accesories. PM me.
Old 08-20-2010, 4:55 PM
Veteran Member

I hate to admit it but my Mini 30 would better serve as a club than a firearm.
Andrew J.
Old 08-20-2010, 5:11 PM

Waaay back when, when men were men and sheep were faster, the editors of SOF magazine went into the bush in Afrika to play Merc's (now they are called Contractors) and they of all things took the Mini-14 in 223, in stainless iirc. They editorially chastised the AR15 platform and said it was worthless.

I always found that such a weird choice for a rifle - there were AK's and G3's a plenty - why not a HK91 or HK93 or M1A (when they still used USGI parts)?? Maybe it was above their budget, but they were mostly gungho M14 guys...

The best part were the classifieds inthe back, some stupid, some not, but looking back at it - it was all soooo much cheaper back then. Personally I would not feel under armed with a humble Colt AR15 SP1 with no forward assist and 20 round magazines. I'd take that over a Ruger, with the exception of a GB in stainless and wood, just for nostalgia's sake

Returning to the OP's Q, if you feel you can bet your like on it, then go for it. As others have said if you are married to the caliber, a Colt AR15 in that caliber would suit you better imho.

I'm really surprised I don't have a mini 14, but my Hk SL6 is so much more refined there is no reason for the other right now.

Ahh, early 80's SOF magazine, ice cold Coors, Colt AR15's were $485 new all day long, and all M16 mags you could want for under $5. Oh and gunsales FTF no waiting in the recycler, or buy new long guns no waiting period either. Where did the civil trust go?