Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Old 04-28-2006, 10:15 AM

Default Safe in garage

Thinking about buying a safe for my handguns and rifles but wife will not let it in the house claims no room. Do you think it ok to put a safe in garage??
Old 04-28-2006, 10:25 AM
glen avon

sure. what's the alternative?
Old 04-28-2006, 10:29 AM

if it's nice and heavy, or bolted down to the floor or to the walls - should be fine.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:31 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Better than nothing.

Here's the deal, it's not the best recommended place to store a safe for a couple of reasons.

One, depending on where you live, the garage is less climate controlled and there is more risk of moisture and condensation in those places. It's not too much of an issue for most Cali people, but YMMV depending where you are.

Two, garages are usually a less secure place to hold them. Depending on your situation the garage is usually easier to get into to then the rest of the house and many don't extend their home alarm systems into it, easier to grapple with and manuever to backup a vehicle and roll a safe unseen and quickly into it, and often people have tools around their garage making it easier, and in the garage people from the street tend to see it directly when you open your garage.

If had to have one inthe garage I would put it in a corner location, bolted to the concrete floor and wall, and it would be concealed in a cabinet structure with a door. I would secure my garage anyway from easier access (many people have simple wood door\frame structures and even no bolt!) and I would extend my home alarm system into the garage.
Old 04-28-2006, 1:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Odyssueus is right - aside from moisture control, which is manageable - there's less grief in stealing/tampering with a safe in the garage. Plus many garages have 220V power, helpful for power tools. People expect work noise to be made in garages, and vans can back up into the garage.

If you HAVE to have it in your garage, it's gotta be bolted down securely, and pay more for a heavier safe. Alarm your garage.

My exGF and current GF urged me to put my safe in my garage. It ain't going.
Rather have it where it is than have a large dining room table I'd never use anyway.

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 04-28-2006, 1:31 PM
Veteran Member

If your garage has a concrete floor, you can bolt it to the floor and to the wall. You could also build a cabinet around it to sort of diguise it, it wont help against the determined thief, but neither would putting it in your house.
Old 04-28-2006, 4:00 PM

In my experience handling burlgaries, I have found that there are the pros who act in teams, and the solo burglars, who could be teens, druggies, etc. The pros will probably have the safe or return for it later, if found.

Alarms are for the most part a sham. Your alarm is sounded (silent or audible) and goes out on a telephone line to the alarm company. The alarm company (some) will then attempt to call you on your cell phone or your home phone. Then the alarm company calls police dispatch, and we know how that goes. Once the call is created, then it has to be dispatched to an available unit. Some cities police departments handle several calls at a time, with priority calls over burglar alarms. So it could be several minutes, at the least, before it is handled.

Don't get me wrong, I think an audible alarm is good for scaring away the thiefs. But after so many false activations, they become almost like car alarms for your neighbors. No one pays attention.

Also if the alarm company has their own private response, that is better.
Many of these home alarms can be quickly disabled, none of which I will post here.

But as for putting a safe in the garage, the previous posters have it dead on. Make sure it is securely bolted to the foundation, and secure it with some kind of filthy outer cabinet, so no one can see the safe when your garage is open. A lot of people have a habit of forgetting that their garage door is open and leave it open all night, or forget to close it when leaving their home.

It is rare for burglars to ransack the garage, unless your side garage door is their point of entry. Most want in and out in a heartbeat, and have to be able to carry their loot (in hand or backpack) to make a quick escape. Don't advertise it either by hanging gun posters and such in the garage, or leaving empty rifle cases in the open.

My advice would be to get a "throwaway safe" or lockbox that the thief can easily make off with and think that he hit it big. Leave some clunky objects in there and a nasty note.

Keep in mind that houses that are burglarized, are usually burglarized a second time. Either because the crook has a certain comfort level or because he knows you just replaced that nice laptop computer.

In my experience, houses on a corner usually get burglarized more than others. I don't know why.

Last edited by bodyarmorguy27; 04-28-2006 at 4:17 PM..
Old 04-28-2006, 4:18 PM

I finally chose the garage & have no regrets. Bolt it down as others
suggest. Bodyarmorguy- I like the "throwaway safe" bait, very nice!
Old 04-28-2006, 4:34 PM

You can pick up inexpensive safes at Pep Boys for fifty bucks or so.

Those of you with safes in your homes, be wary of anyone that comes to your home or apartment to service or install anything. Apartments especially, are notorious for having maintenance people show up unannounced or when you aren't home. The ones that you must be especially suspicious of are #1 Moving Companies, #2 those closet install people, and #3 carpet cleaners.

Most of the "homies-don't you know me", I contact on the street who were recently paroled or released from county jail, work for those types of companies. Oftentimes the sales people or movers are really clean cut and good to go. But the cronies that show up afterwards are not.

I commend anyone for putting forward the money to safely secure their handguns and rifles in a safe. Many do not. If anything, it gives you peace of mind when you leave your home.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyarmorguy27
In my experience, houses on a corner usually get burglarized more than others. I don't know why.
I thought this answer was somewhat obvious? Easier to get in to the side of the house because you can jump the fence; less chances of a neighbor peering into the yard to see someone snooping around, because there is no neighbor for a corner house at least on one side of the house. Because the whole side of the house faces usually the street, isn't it easier to then hop the fence on the way out to get away? Also, corner houses are easier targets because of the proximity to the street where a waiting vehicle can be positioned. Try robbing the house in the middle of a development - not quite as easy. Or try picking the apartment unit smack right in the middle overlooking the swimming pool, vs the one off to the side by the parking lot. The one secluded off to the side by the lot is going to be an easier target, in my opinion.

Turby
Old 04-29-2006, 3:46 AM

I want a safe in the garage like that movie .. "Mr. & Mrs. smith" that was nice
Old 05-19-2006, 10:50 PM

Default Moisture

One important point I'd like to mention about a garage safe.
Do you have a clothes washer or dryer in the garage?
I once heard a story at a gunstore about a customer who had a garage safe with a washer and dryer in the same garage.
The safe had not been opened by the owner for about a year, and when he opened it to get one of his guns, most of them had a fine coating of rust.
Moisture collecting in the garage from the washer/dryer had ruined most of his guns.
Something to think about.
Old 05-25-2006, 2:57 PM
I need a LIFE!!

My garage is on the house alarm and if someone tries to break in the cops show up. I have a bunch of tools in there and need to protect them. if you have a house alarm I strongly suggest paying to have the alarm extended to the garage
Rob
Old 05-25-2006, 3:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by accordingtoome
I want a safe in the garage like that movie .. "Mr. & Mrs. smith" that was nice
They ripped off Commando On that note, get the biggest, heavyest most asthetically pleasing safe you can afford. Then lift one hand up face level to your girlfriend while the movers put it in your bedroom next to the plasma tv. Guns will be in a secure place and there where you actually will need it someday. Theives will grimmace in dissapointment knowing how long and how many people it will take to move a 1k lb safe out of that room. Be smart, think about how much trouble you'll have when someone does steal your safe/guns, not to mention piece of mind.
Old 06-19-2006, 3:13 PM

On a side note.. I know someone (friend of a friend) that has about 6 good sized safes in their garage full of registered goodies. The idiot not only doesn't have them bolted down, but has them sitting on PALLETS so all someone needs is a pallet jack and a U-haul to take away his sizable collection!!
Old 06-20-2006, 5:31 AM

2 big Garage safes, (a sentry, and a daddy safe) each with dehumidifier (rod). Securely bolted and loaded with ammo (already serously heavy safes),..

+two seperate alarm systems (for the house), and two seperate motion systems (strictly for the garage) which are split signal (each motion feeding both alarm setups). This plus monitoring and fast response (timed).

+fully boxed. (use 2x4's to form a box around your safe, approx 4" all around, and up to the wall its bolted against. Make sure the level of the 2x4 is not over your safes entry line, or lowest point on the door,.. may need to use 2x2 or whatever fits the bill. Next, mix up a batch of concrete and pour it into the box and smooth it out. remove wood when dry). This make it impossible for any movement or slack to be created so one may 'rock out' the bolts (often possible with huge impact that one can create a touch of slack, and then use the safes weight to hammer them out).
Old 07-09-2006, 10:02 PM

Depending on your garage situation, if you have a car (i.e. not a daily driver) that is there all the time, then it also helps to put it in front of the safe. If you put the car sideways, even better. Get a set of GoJaks and then hide them so the thief cannot use them to move the car.

If you have a stickshift you can easily leave the car in gear and disconnect the shift linkage. Yes a car can be moved in gear, but it takes time to do all this.

Having a lot of cars packed in a garage works too

You can hide the light switches and garage openers (yes the one on the wall). Put those in a wall safe for instance...If the thief cannot see, they'll have a harder time.

Cut out the slab (watch out for pipes) in your garage floor about the size of the safe and dig down a bit, pour some new concrete such that it is however many extra inches down recessed in the floor compared to the rest of your slab. Don't go too deep otherwise you won't be able to open the door. Of course if you ever have to get the safe out, it will be a real pain for you as well...

There are lots of other things you can do, but remember it will only buy time. Hopefully it will be enough for a thief to say it isn't worth it. It also depends on how much of an effort you want to put into this. Somethings will make it a bit more difficult for you as well.

Brian

Last edited by stickman; 07-09-2006 at 10:08 PM..
Old 07-10-2006, 7:04 AM
I need a LIFE!!

i have my safe in the garage allthough i did not hide i did bolt the sucker to the floor. also my roomate works in the garage and getting anything out of that garage in a hurry will be next to impossible. also does anyone have a dog. they will let you know when someone is around and are more dependable than an alarm. i have a labrador she'll show'em around the house before anything.

but where ever you put is secure it down that would be the best thing to do .

Quote:
Public Safety Chairman Reggie Jones Sawyer, D-Los Angeles said, “This is California; we don’t pay too much attention to the Constitution,”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
When Hell is full the dead will walk the Earth. (Dawn of the Dead)
NRA Life Member.
Old 07-10-2006, 8:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris
i have my safe in the garage allthough i did not hide i did bolt the sucker to the floor. also my roomate works in the garage and getting anything out of that garage in a hurry will be next to impossible. also does anyone have a dog. they will let you know when someone is around and are more dependable than an alarm. i have a labrador she'll show'em around the house before anything.

but where ever you put is secure it down that would be the best thing to do .
A pair of nicely trained German shepards in the garage would work

Brian
Old 07-14-2006, 8:30 AM

A safe in the garage is better than none in the house.

So many guns are stolen from under the master bedroom's bed/matress or in the top drawer of the nightstand.

I'll second the advice to not advertize the presence of guns or a safe in the house. I'm lucky enough to have a stay-at-home wife and a three car garage. The third garage door is always down and hides my earthquake supplies and tools - thiefs will break-in expecting to find tools in a garage and discover a safe if you advertize your tool sets.

I'll also give the advice that you get a fire-lined safe as your guns are likely to burn up rather than to get taken out of a safe.

Keep a low profile, a strong defense, and have insurance.

Paul some times of AR15.com