Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 10-08-2010, 9:19 AM
C3 Contributor
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by 226Rfan View Post
tag, interested.
Howdy, Just tell me which date is good for ya !!!
Old 10-08-2010, 9:28 AM

Join the fun and get addicted!
Old 10-08-2010, 11:06 AM

I would like to sign up for your November the 14 lesson. please let me know if there are still openings, thanks
Old 10-08-2010, 1:19 PM
C3 Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandingo26 View Post
I would like to sign up for your November the 14 lesson. please let me know if there are still openings, thanks
I have your reservation Sir. Will that be table for one or two???
Old 10-09-2010, 8:28 AM
C3 Contributor

Guys, Make sure you go over the list on post #1. See you all there tomorrow.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:58 PM

Hey BJ, anything planned for the weekends of 10/17 or 10/24? Any possibility of opening up those dates for lessons?
Old 10-09-2010, 11:16 PM
C3 Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles4400 View Post
Hey BJ, anything planned for the weekends of 10/17 or 10/24? Any possibility of opening up those dates for lessons?
There are some competition at BBB one of those weekends. There are lots of practice for the Turkey shoot going on also, thats why I set it back to the 14th of Nov. The 11/7 weekend is the turkey shoot.
Old 10-10-2010, 6:56 AM

Arrrrgh darn turkeys! :P

Ok no prob, then could you please reserve a table for 3; myself, wife +1 friend (2 guns both 12g) for 11/21.

Thanks BJ and have fun at the lessons today... see you on the field next month!
Old 10-10-2010, 7:02 AM
C3 Contributor

Quote:
Arrrrgh darn turkeys! :P

Ok no prob, then could you please reserve a table for 3; myself, wife +1 friend (2 guns both 12g) for 11/21.

Thanks BJ and have fun at the lessons today... see you on the field next month!
We have a reservation for 3 for 11/21. See Ya
Old 10-10-2010, 1:46 PM

Thanks BJ look forward to meeting you and the others out there....can't wait!
Old 10-11-2010, 10:26 AM
Moderator Emeritus

My fiancee and I are already members over at Triple-B's and shoot trap pretty often.

Would definitely like to get some Skeet lessons. Subscribing to this thread so I can see the future dates when the two of us will be able to sign up
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
--Cesare, Marquis of Beccaria, "On Crimes and Punishment"
Old 10-11-2010, 6:25 PM

Im very interested in this as well. Subcribing for future dates or possible cancelations at the next 2 meets.

Albert Einstein

Old 10-12-2010, 3:35 PM

Any options for earlier Sat. lessons?
Old 10-12-2010, 5:01 PM
C3 Contributor

Quote:
Any options for earlier Sat. lessons?
Let me call coach and see about 11/20. No promise !!!
Old 10-12-2010, 5:06 PM

Skeet skeet skeet hahahahahah.
Old 10-12-2010, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjl333 View Post
Let me call coach and see about 11/20. No promise !!!
No biggie I'm already set for 11/21 just wondering if there were earlier Saturdays available since interests seems to be growing and seeing if I can get in on a lesson earlier than a month away lol!
Old 10-12-2010, 5:48 PM

Hey BJ looks like we will only be able to bring 1 gun for the 11/21 lesson instead of 2.

Thought my friend was going to able to bring his own but don't think thats going to happen. If my wife and buddy could use a gun from you guys we would appreciate it.

Thanks!
Old 10-12-2010, 6:01 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Hey BJ looks like we will only be able to bring 1 gun for the 11/21 lesson instead of 2.

Thought my friend was going to able to bring his own but don't think thats going to happen. If my wife and buddy could use a gun from you guys we would appreciate it.
Triple-B's has tons of rental guns too. Not very expensive.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
Old 10-12-2010, 6:30 PM
C3 Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdsmchs View Post
My fiancee and I are already members over at Triple-B's and shoot trap pretty often.

Would definitely like to get some Skeet lessons. Subscribing to this thread so I can see the future dates when the two of us will be able to sign up
If I can get a 11/20 clinic going, do you wanna be in ???
Jordon
Old 10-12-2010, 6:31 PM
C3 Contributor

Quote:

Thanks!
No worries, Coach and I always have extras for the clinic. Just tell me what gauge you want.

Jordon
Old 10-12-2010, 6:43 PM

Thanks Jordan appreciate it!

Methinks 20 ga semi for the wife and 12 ga for my friend? Or whatever you guys have on hand..appreciate you guys offering the loaners!
Old 10-12-2010, 6:50 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjl333 View Post
If I can get a 11/20 clinic going, do you wanna be in ???
Unfortunately we can't do Saturdays since she works. *I* can do Saturdays, heh, but she can't.

If you have a Sunday available we will definitely join in.

I've also got at least 2 spare guns that I can loan out in both 12 and 20.
Old 10-13-2010, 6:03 AM

I would be "in" for either day. I also have a couple extra 870's I could bring 1 in 20ga and 1 in 12ga.

Albert Einstein

Old 10-14-2010, 6:03 PM

I have a general question on trap shooting at Triple B's:

I've never gone trap shooting but the concept seems simple enough: 25 targets a round, each person is at a station and takes turns shooting at a thrown target till the end of the round. At the end of the round each person moves over to the next station and another round starts again if you choose to continue.

If I were to go to Triple B's by myself to shoot trap , I buy the credits (#of games on a card). After that is there a place to swipe the card at each station to start a game or is there one place to swipe the card and you just go to whichever station you want to begin?

And are the targets voice activated to throw the target or do you have to have someone there to press a button?

Also does the cost of a round include the targets there or do I need to bring my own biodegradable targets?

Was thinking of going there sometime in the week just to try it out, as I'm really itching to try out the new pump action, but have never shot at clays and don't know if I need to bring someone with me.

Thanks!
Old 10-14-2010, 6:13 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I've never gone trap shooting but the concept seems simple enough: 25 targets a round, each person is at a station and takes turns shooting at a thrown target till the end of the round. At the end of the round each person moves over to the next station and another round starts again if you choose to continue.
A round of trap consists of 25 targets broken down into 5 targets at 5 stations.

You shoot 5, move to the right, shoot 5, move to the right. Wash, Rinse, Repeat.

Quote:
If I were to go to Triple B's by myself to shoot trap , I buy the credits (#of games on a card). After that is there a place to swipe the card at each station to start a game or is there one place to swipe the card and you just go to whichever station you want to begin?
You buy a game for around 8$, which they put on your card. If you don't have a card, you pay a $20 deposit for a new one. You can get your $20 back at the end if you want.

You go to the field (public fields are listed in the office) you want to play on, find some people to shoot with you, and then you slide your card in the machine. It will load one games worth onto the machine. It comes out to like 27 targets (they allow a little extra for breakage. Also, the first time out a lot of people just can't shut up while playing, so they launch birds when they don't mean to).

Quote:
And are the targets voice activated to throw the target or do you have to have someone there to press a button?
Voice activated. Be quiet or you'll waste targets and tick off the other players.

Alternatively, you CAN turn off the voice activation and throw targets manually using a remote control.

Quote:
Also does the cost of a round include the targets there or do I need to bring my own biodegradable targets?
You don't bring any targets. The cost of a game includes the targets. They are pre-loaded in the trap houses.

Quote:
Was thinking of going there sometime in the week just to try it out, as I'm really itching to try out the new pump action, but have never shot at clays and don't know if I need to bring someone with me.
You're fine by yourself. They have a rule that shotguns must have a minimum 21" barrel, or 20". So if it's some tactical'ed shotgun, they won't allow it on the field.
Old 10-14-2010, 6:30 PM

Thanks bdsmchs for the explanations..I also didn't know you move after every 5 shots!
All the above is great to know for us very new to shooting clays!

So if you got a group to shoot does everyone slide their card before the round (does the machine que up # of rounds per # of card slides) or do you just slide a card once after every round?

Thanks for the heads up on shotgun config, my shotgun isn't all tact'd out (though I do have a side saddle installed) and I have the 28" barrel (big 5 Mossy Combo) so should be good to go (but very good to know for buddies that do have their PG and 18.5" barrels)!
Old 10-14-2010, 8:38 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Thanks bdsmchs for the explanations..I also didn't know you move after every 5 shots!
All the above is great to know for us very new to shooting clays!

So if you got a group to shoot does everyone slide their card before the round (does the machine que up # of rounds per # of card slides) or do you just slide a card once after every round?
Quote:

Exactly. If you have 5 different players with 5 different cards, each person swipes their card before the game starts and the machine just adds it all up.

I go out on Sundays with a group of anywhere from 5-10 people, and we always only ever have about 2-3 cards between us. So people will just pile up credits on one card, and then when those people play they're responsible for making sure THAT card is the one that gets swiped for them.

But, regardless of how many cards you have: 1 swipe = 1 game. Period.
Thanks for the heads up on shotgun config, my shotgun isn't all tact'd out (though I do have a side saddle installed) and I have the 28" barrel (big 5 Mossy Combo) so should be good to go (but very good to know for buddies that do have their PG and 18.5" barrels)!
The 28" barrel will be very good for trap. Will give you extra reach and is easier to sight down that long barrel than a short one.

One tip that I learned early on for making an easier game was NOT to start out on the closest line to the trap house. There are about 10 different lines you can shoot on (distance from trap, NOT related to the 5 stations) and when you're new you think closer = easier. An old time trap player actually recommended to me and a few friends to start out about 2-3 lines back, and what do you know, it was actually a bit easier. When you go further back than that, then it does start getting harder again

And the line closest to the trap house can be pretty hard. It's hard to explain, and I don't even know why exactly that it seems harder, but trust me: start on the 18 or 19 yard line instead of the 16.

Also: trap is a social game. I've found that skeet is much more competitive, but trap is DEFINITELY a very friendly and social game. So when you're on the field, talk to people, especially the old-timers. Ask them to watch you from the back while you're shooting and give you tips and they invariably will. You'll get friendly tips and advice if you just talk and smile at people, and it will make you a better shooter which will make you enjoy the game a little bit more.

The reason I want to take the OP's skeet lessons is because I've been shooting trap casually for over 10 years, but have never played more than 2-3 games of skeet. The reason for that has been how friendly and social trap has always been, and to be perfectly honest I've been intimidated by some of the standoffishness (it's a word!) and competitiveness of a large number of skeet shooters.

To me, the actual game of trap is a little more "boring" than skeet, but so far I've had a lot more fun playing it due to the social nature of the game.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:00 PM

Awesome thanks bdsmchs! look forward to giving it a try...it seems pretty mellow and I just want to try shooting moving targets and getting out of the indoor ranges! Thanks for the input!

Still looking forward to the skeet lessons, but in the meantime will try trap since it would be VERY obvious (and probably less enjoyable) habing no idea what I am doing trying skeet for the first time without instruction !

Saw this video on trap shooting and it seems pretty mellow for first time clay shooters to try out (event though these guys look like they have been doing this for quite awhile and I am sure they make it look easier than it probably is!) :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjhTE...eature=related
Old 10-15-2010, 8:09 AM

Yes, that was a great reply and helped this newbie understand the whole range thing alot better. Thanks.

The note about the social aspect was very relevant to me as I am trying to bring my wife and some other couples into the shooting thing.

So Jordon, when will the trap classes start?
Old 10-15-2010, 9:28 AM
C3 Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picasso2 View Post
Yes, that was a great reply and helped this newbie understand the whole range thing alot better. Thanks.

The note about the social aspect was very relevant to me as I am trying to bring my wife and some other couples into the shooting thing.

So Jordon, when will the trap classes start?
THE DARK SIDE ?!?!?! J/K I can arrange for a Trap class also if the demand is there. It will be a different coach, and I have to ask for his fee.
Old 10-21-2010, 6:52 AM

Any new dates yet ? Or any cancelations for the next couple classes?

Albert Einstein

Old 10-21-2010, 11:25 AM
C3 Contributor

OK, We now have 11/28/10 available for Skeet Shooting. Please post here or PM me with questions.
Thanks,
Jordon
Old 10-21-2010, 6:42 PM

In for 11-28

Thanks

Albert Einstein

Old 10-23-2010, 9:03 AM
C3 Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta2dtrent View Post
In for 11-28

Thanks
Go over the list in the original post. Good to have you aboard !!!!
Old 10-24-2010, 11:18 AM
C3 Contributor

11/28 Date. 7 openings still.
Old 10-26-2010, 5:39 PM
C3 Contributor

Come and have some fun shooting skeet !!!
Old 10-28-2010, 5:36 PM
C3 Contributor

We have 6 openings for 11/28!! Come and join the fun.
Old 11-03-2010, 9:44 AM
C3 Contributor

We have 1 opening available for 11/14. Post here if you wanna go to shoot some skeet !!!
Old 11-04-2010, 5:54 PM
C3 Contributor

5 openings for 11/28.
Old 11-05-2010, 8:22 AM

Hello, I am IN for 11/14!
I will be needing a shotgun. 12ga. This is my first time shooting skeet. I tried sporting clays for the first time last week and loved it.