Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 08-05-2010, 4:01 PM

Default Just Right Carbine (JR Carbine) review

I have an interest in journalism this is my first attempt at such, please be kind of my review for the ‘Just Right Carbine’ (JRC).

So I had a chance to look over a "Just Right Carbine" ( a.k.a. JR Carbine) yesterday courtesy of the EMF Company, in Santa Ana, CA. Overall I was pleasantly surprised by the balance, rigid construction, and simplicity of the 9mm blowback carbine made by JR Carbines LLC out of New York .

Apparently a " California version" will be available soon, and it appears that although a standard “bullet button” could address legal issues – there is still some confusion as to such an approach would actually work on the rifle given the differences with the standard AR magwell as opposed to the modular magwell employed on the ‘Just Right Carbine’ (JRC). Regardless there seemed to be a dispute over licensing of said ‘button’ / magazine locking technology to which I was told they had to resort to developing their own locking magazine system.

Personally I thought that although the rile seemed to be pretty well balanced, that the 6.6 pound rifle was rather heavy for such a rifle without optics or any form of built in iron sights for that matter. Even with the triangular barrel to cut down on weight, I noted that the receiver and aluminum trigger guard was pretty thick in some areas as was the Glock modular magwell, and looked like both areas could be thinned out to lighten up the rifle. Overall it looked and felt nice but I feel that most people interested in such a rifle are looking more for a physically lighter platform (perhaps more barrel fluting might be in order). Granted the JRC is somewhat lightweight at 6.6 lbs compared to any varmint/long range hunting rifle, or stock service rifle - save the time tested M1 carbine at 5.1lbs, which I must note at least has iron sights. It would seem that just based on its functionality, as a short-range brush/plinker/defense firearm the JRC is not really that “light”. I was also not too particularly drawn to the quad rails setup (sorry to all the people who like to have all them accessories including the cappuccino machine mounted on their upper), but was assured that the firearm is compatible with all AR furniture - which in turn might assist persons with concerns over issues with weight.

Although I didn’t get to fire the rifle I was told it was quite accurate and has ‘made the rounds’ with various agencies, associations, and other folk for testing. But I suppose the most exciting revelation about the firearm is in the barrel/caliber options; it seems a .45 and .40 cal version are also in the works (as opposed the standard 9mm I was fortunate enough to be able to look at), there was also talk of a 10mm (seems like they are still gauging interest on that one). Although I was assured that the caliber conversions were as mundane as a barrel change, due to the lack of other barrels at the shop I was unable to see how the barrel is swapped in and out as in the case of a caliber conversion, but was able to see that the magwell was modular in nature, so I’m sure we can expect a great deal of options should this rifle take off.

The rifle is billed as being the only true ambidextrous AR type carbine on the market today, with the operator simply having to move the extractor & bolt handle from the right side to the left side of the bolt, and uses standard AR-15 fire control parts.

At the moment they are really targeting (and for good reason) the Glock family first, with future magwell adapter kits avail for Beretta, Sig, XD and S&W coming , I was personally hoping for some Ruger P95, and CZ 75 magwell options, but who knows what the future will hold. I’m sure though that once these rifles start hitting mainstream stores and dealers, more options will be available in terms of magwell and caliber options.

But the guys at JR Carbines and EMF definitely seem to be on to something here and it looks like a real game changer for those looking at carbine options. Olympic makes stuff as does a few other smaller companies, Ruger PC 9’s and Marlin’s Camp 9’s are hard to come by and certainly not as configurable. The AR15 uppers in pistol calibers seem to get a mixed bag of reviews from requiring special lowers, special magazines, buffers, adapter blocks, with come being too “piece-mealed” together to be reliable. The initial version of the JR Carbine is available now; the second generation of the JRC rifles should be coming out by the end of the year in limited supply. Interested parties should contact EMF and inquire about initial availability of the new rifle.

pics here:
http://www.angelfire.com/linux/strange/temp/jrc1.jpg

http://www.angelfire.com/linux/strange/temp/jrc2.jpg

FYI: i dont have an interest in either company just thought other might be interested - ive been dreaming about a 10mm carbine that takes glock mags for some time now and thought id spread the news.

Last edited by steve_77; 08-09-2010 at 11:08 AM.. Reason: Incorporated ("Corrections" in subsequent post)
Old 08-05-2010, 7:00 PM
Veteran Member

Your pictures redirect to here.

Here is the stock photo off their website:
"It wasn't a failure of laws," said Amanda Wilcox, who along with her husband, Nick, lobbies for the California chapter of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. "I just don't see how our gun laws could have stopped something like that."
-Speaking about the Oikos mass shooting in Oakland.

Quote:
With an assault weapon you just hold the trigger back and it goes blup,blup,blup
-Michael Bloomberg confused about the difference between a machine gun and a rifle, ABC News Nightline 12/21/12
Old 08-09-2010, 10:15 AM

Default Correction’s

Added the following 'Correction’s' to original post:

1) Although a standard “bullet button” could address legal issues – there is still some confusion as to such an approach would actually work on the rifle given the differences with the standard AR magwell as opposed to the modular magwell employed on the ‘Just Right Carbine’ (JRC).

2) The rifle is billed as being the only true ambidextrous AR type carbine on the market today, with the operator simply having to move the extractor & bolt handle from the right side to the left side of the bolt, and uses standard AR-15 fire control parts.

3) The rifle also weighs 6.6 lbs not 6.8 lbs.

Forgot to mention the new version of the firearm will have a different extraction system thats not 'fixed', and utilizes a different extractor with spring mechanism to address issues of using low power / cheap 'whitebox' ammo.

-------------------------------

Also thanks for the redirect on the pictures... guess angelfire not good for hosting pics... although i found that if you copy the the text of the links and manually paste the url (ie . http://www.angelfire.com/linux/strange/temp/jrc1.jpg) into a browser instead of clicking on them - they do work, but they are real big, and not super clear (taken with my phone).

Last edited by steve_77; 08-09-2010 at 11:12 AM.. Reason: explanation of corrections
Old 08-10-2010, 8:25 AM

Interesting looking carbine. Will definitely keep this on my radar.
Old 10-23-2010, 8:59 AM
C3 Leader
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

California legal.

I fondled this last Friday night at DC Arms in Lemoore, very nice.
http://justrightfirearms.com/

It has reversible eject, left or right side as is the bolt.
Comes in 9mm, .40 and .45ACP, would be good to team up same calibers with pistol. Along the lines of the Marlin Camp 9 & 45 for lighter packing.

EDIT: This carbine comes with the bullet button and the 'tool' to utilize it.

Seems its around $800 or thereabouts, he has them available now.

Get your while supplies last
No website but go here http://www.manta.com/c/mm8rx3j/dc-ar...ms-accessories for contact info.
DC Arms has started and been co-ordinating/sponsoring the Friends of the NRA Dinners here in Lemoore for the last 2 years.

Vick

"Nobody ever defended anything successfully, there is only attack and attack and attack some more." (George Patton)

Calguns T-shirts, hats and stickers
New eCommerce site is up, if you have any problems with it, let me know.

The Gulag Archipelago - Online read .pdf

Last edited by Can'thavenuthingood; 10-23-2010 at 10:12 AM.. Reason: Add Bullet button
Old 10-24-2010, 7:58 PM

I just put 400 rounds through mine (9mm) at the range here in Brea.

- The good part of the review is that using a cheap red-glo dot
it held consistent at under the size of a quarter at 50 ft.
Many many rounds double tapping through existing holes.. Very very happy with the accuracy.

- The bad part of the review is that I had at least one either FTF, or FTE each clip.
I figured out that I had to support the bottom of the glock mag and then
I had to hold the mag just so in order to get it to feed reliably. The first 300 rounds
were the worst.. The last 100 rounds the gun seemed to settle down with
less occurrence but still had issues. There seems to be way to much play in the
glock clip housing and the clearances in the upper. Several times I had to stop and
use a screwdriver to hold the bullet up in order for the round to feed correctly.
Had several occurences with a round in the barrel, with a jam in the upper and an
expended casing still stuck in the upper. One Glock mag was worse than the other.

- Will clean it up and go again to see if the problems persist.

- hfk

Last edited by hfk; 10-24-2010 at 8:09 PM..
Old 11-11-2010, 6:40 PM

HFK - I'm interested in a follow- up from you to see if cleaning/breaking-in the gun improved the feeding reliability.

-B
Old 11-11-2010, 7:35 PM
Veteran Member

$800? Jeez.
Old 01-01-2011, 2:08 PM

The good folks at EMF, the local distributor, indicated that the orginal design was built against a clip that was now out of tolerance with later clips. They replaced the barrel, slide, mag-well and an internal stock part. They then put several clips of ammo successfully through the gun including the orginal clip and the one I bought.. With that new found confidence I went to the range.. 100 rounds using both clips with no issues. The gun will do a nickel all day long without hesitation.. I am thankful to EMF and I am VERY happy with the results. LOTS of fun to shoot and you can trick it out for little.

- hfk
Old 03-31-2011, 8:10 AM

Hello all,

Just wondering how the rifle is performing today. I was the gun shop yesterday and they have CA legal JR 9mm carbines for $895. I am VERY interested because I want a rifle that uses the same caliber as my SD pistol. Thanks in advance!
Old 06-24-2011, 8:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Hello all,

Just wondering how the rifle is performing today. I was the gun shop yesterday and they have CA legal JR 9mm carbines for $895. I am VERY interested because I want a rifle that uses the same caliber as my SD pistol. Thanks in advance!
Check out the Kel tec Sub2000...
Old 06-24-2011, 9:12 AM
I need a LIFE!!

A friend bought one and I fiddled with it a bit, took it apart. Couple of things.

The stock trigger pull is beyond terrible. The standard AR parts can be stoned, I put a RRA 2 stage in it for $89.00. Works great. Installing the AR standard BB is a little different than the usual drop in on an AR. The mag release post is threaded on each end, the tab has to be placed at one end of the screw and held in place. Hard to explain, a little confusing at first but easy to do.

There is a very thin, sheet metal "feed ramp" to guide bullets from the mag to the chamber. The ramp in this gun had its top rolled over a bit. It looks flimsy as heck, I don't see it lasting very long.

I shoot lefty, switching the gun from right to left is easy. Just remember to switch over the extractor otherwise the extracted empty will not eject (the ejector is part of the ejection port cover).

Cleaning the thing requires removal of the rifle's stock - not too crazy about that aspect of the gun and the blowback design does make it messy. Personally, for that much $$$ I'd just as soon get an AR 9mm upper & dedicated lower.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:47 AM

I just spoke to EMF directly regardign the 9mm version and they have said that the manufacture is no longer offering differnt magwell options and is, at least for the time being, staying with only Glock magazines as the only offering.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:50 AM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

You could allways sell it featureless!
Old 08-06-2011, 9:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfk View Post

Many many rounds double tapping through existing holes.. Very very happy with the accuracy.

- The bad part of the review is that I had at least one either FTF, or FTE each clip.
I had to hold the mag just so in order to get it to feed reliably. The first 300 rounds
glock clip housing and the clearances in the upper. Several times I had to stop and
use a screwdriver to hold the bullet up in order for the round to feed correctly.
Had several occurences with a round in the barrel, with a jam in the upper and an
expended casing still stuck in the upper. One Glock mag was worse than the other.

- hfk
Whew I'm glad to see that I wasn't the only one that this was happening to.

I have the .45 version, I really like the gun and it is fun to shoot. Shot it for the first time yesterday and just was not expecting all the issues that it had.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:14 AM

I think I'm going to post my review of my ER JR Carbine for everyone. I am very impressed with this 9mm carbine so far, and with a little tweaking it works flawlessly.

I will agree that the trigger is a hard pull, and having a trigger job done is a "must" to improve any long-range accuracy.

Here's some pics of mine......

- TheDeltaForce

Old 08-15-2011, 6:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDeltaForce View Post
...I am very impressed with this 9mm carbine so far, and with a little tweaking it works flawlessly.

I will agree that the trigger is a hard pull, and having a trigger job done is a "must" to improve any long-range accuracy.

- TheDeltaForce
So what are the "tweaks" you've performed to improve reliability? What barrel/guard is on it?

-B
Old 08-15-2011, 3:45 PM

How can it be called a "review" if you did not fire it, that's the most important part. Kind of like a car test without a test drive
Old 08-31-2011, 5:45 AM

To answer Octane's question above, I had to have Just Right modify the spring in to function correctly in a full-length buffer tube. Also, the factory trigger pull is hard at 7-9 lbs, and I come from .22 target shooting and prefer a very light trigger pull, so I had my gunsmith do a trigger job on this to make it 2.5-3 lbs. What an improvement! It's really a fun rifle to shoot cheap, and it's cool that you can put alot of the aftermarket AR stuff on it.

The barrel is stock, but the front guard is a Hogue that just screws right on. It replaces the barrel nut actually.....which makes disassembly a breeze....no wrench needed! The Hogue guard and grip came as a set, and I added a Magpul PRS adjustable buttstock, full-length buffer tube, Meuller APV scope, quick-release rings, etc. This shoots 100 yards very nicely.

- TDF

Last edited by TheDeltaForce; 08-31-2011 at 5:47 AM..
Old 01-04-2013, 2:01 AM

I purchased a 9mm JR carbine at my local gun store about 6 months ago and have put about 3000 rounds through it. I never had a problem with feeding or ejecting until recently. I noticed that the bolt was starting to become difficult to cycle..... After tearing it down and inspecting the reciever and bolt I didnt notice anything suspicious. I then measured the bolt extention and it was .005-.007 out of round. The problem area was toward the front of the bolt extention near the slot that the hammer goes through. I am ording another bolt extention $12.50 and hope this isn't the start of a lot of problems.
Old 01-04-2013, 6:47 AM

The JR Carbine is a piece of crap. Mine had fte every couple of shots. I've sent it back to JR, who overhauled the rifle. Had to pay for my own shipping. Got it back, same problem. Not impressed. Don't feel like shipping it back and forth over and over so they can work out their QC issues on my dime.
Old 01-04-2013, 7:19 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

- The bad part of the review is that I had at least one either FTF, or FTE each clip. I figured out that I had to support the bottom of the glock mag and then I had to hold the mag just so in order to get it to feed reliably. The first 300 rounds were the worst..

The last 100 rounds the gun seemed to settle down with less occurrence but still had issues. There seems to be way to much play in the glock clip housing and the clearances in the upper. Several times I had to stop and

Had several occurences with a round in the barrel, with a jam in the upper and an expended casing still stuck in the upper. One Glock mag was worse than the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyc Wid It View Post
$800? Jeez.
Ridiculous price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Hello all,

More ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfletcher View Post
A friend bought one and I fiddled with it a bit, took it apart. Couple of things.

The stock trigger pull is beyond terrible. The standard AR parts can be stoned, I put a RRA 2 stage in it for $89.00. Works great. Installing the AR standard BB is a little different than the usual drop in on an AR. The mag release post is threaded on each end, the tab has to be placed at one end of the screw and held in place. Hard to explain, a little confusing at first but easy to do.

There is a very thin, sheet metal "feed ramp" to guide bullets from the mag to the chamber. The ramp in this gun had its top rolled over a bit. It looks flimsy as heck, I don't see it lasting very long.

I shoot lefty, switching the gun from right to left is easy. Just remember to switch over the extractor otherwise the extracted empty will not eject (the ejector is part of the ejection port cover).

Cleaning the thing requires removal of the rifle's stock - not too crazy about that aspect of the gun and the blowback design does make it messy. Personally, for that much $$$ I'd just as soon get an AR 9mm upper & dedicated lower.
^This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiryzah View Post
Whew I'm glad to see that I wasn't the only one that this was happening to.

I have the .45 version, I really like the gun and it is fun to shoot. Shot it for the first time yesterday and just was not expecting all the issues that it had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattooguy80 View Post
I purchased a 9mm JR carbine at my local gun store about 6 months ago and have put about 3000 rounds through it. I never had a problem with feeding or ejecting until recently. I noticed that the bolt was starting to become difficult to cycle..... After tearing it down and inspecting the reciever and bolt I didnt notice anything suspicious. I then measured the bolt extention and it was .005-.007 out of round. The problem area was toward the front of the bolt extention near the slot that the hammer goes through. I am ording another bolt extention $12.50 and hope this isn't the start of a lot of problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neouser View Post
The JR Carbine is a piece of crap. Mine had fte every couple of shots. I've sent it back to JR, who overhauled the rifle. Had to pay for my own shipping. Got it back, same problem. Not impressed. Don't feel like shipping it back and forth over and over so they can work out their QC issues on my dime.
Overall, for $900 it sounds great.

-hanko

Originally Posted By System Message:
Why can't you guys participate in a simple discussion about some guy's mom making a porno without violating the COC? This is why we can't have nice things.

“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
Mark Twain
Old 01-04-2013, 7:31 AM

Got one with all three calibers just over $1,100...after 6,000 rounds between the three calibers, no problem at all.
Old 01-04-2013, 8:07 AM
Veteran Member

holy old thread Batman

"To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason
Old 01-04-2013, 8:44 AM
Kitchen Operator
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoggie13 View Post
Got one with all three calibers just over $1,100...after 6,000 rounds between the three calibers, no problem at all.
^ This, at least with my 9mm version. Never a single problem from day one. One of the most fun and cheapest EBR's to shoot (not counting the Hi-Point, however - that gun is just too fugly even for me)
Old 01-04-2013, 9:19 AM

Quote:

- hfk
Maybe if you used MAGAZINES instead of clips
Old 02-08-2013, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivedabizness View Post
Maybe if you used MAGAZINES instead of clips
^that
Old 02-08-2013, 9:32 PM
I need a LIFE!!

800 dollars and it needs tweaking to run right? Pass.

Where the hell are those 9mm Saigas already?
Old 02-08-2013, 9:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Mine ran just fine right out of the box just like a sewing machine.
Old 02-09-2013, 7:13 PM

Default JR .45 acp carbine

I've recently bought a JR .45 acp carbine. So far ive put 600 rnds through it.
I've had some FTF, but have come to the conclusion that it was tha magazine at fought. I found out because the orignial mag was perfect after the first 100 rnds. Then started getting issues again after buying two new mags. I loaded the new mags then unloaded them 5 or 6 times with the help of mag loader and haven't seen the isuue since.
Pros;
#1 It does shoot very nice and tight.
#2 it pretty fun with very little kick.
#3 feels balanced and solid.
I've got only 2 cons;
#1 is that the bolt dosen't lock open on the last round.
#2 to clean you have to take off the stock.
I'm going to have to fire as many rounds as I can without cleaning to see if #2 is a big issue to me.

Last edited by habendanio; 02-09-2013 at 7:17 PM..
Old 02-09-2013, 7:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickstop View Post
How can it be called a "review" if you did not fire it, that's the most important part. Kind of like a car test without a test drive
there are plenty of women I have reviewed positively without a "test drive".

They're not liberals, they're leftists. Please don't use the former for the latter. Liberals are Locke, Jefferson, Burke, Hayek. Leftists are progressives, Prussian state-socialists, fascists. Liberals stand against the state and unequivocally support liberty. Leftists support state tyranny.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:12 PM

Thumbs down I wish this gun wasn't horrible

I bought it more than a year ago and the distributor repaired it as soon as I got it. Replaced the bolt, spring assembly and trigger. I shot it twice and then returned it to JR for repairs since it quit working and they sent it back in a box that allowed UPS to bend the bolt handle out of shape. JR sent a new one several days later.

The gun has never worked right with any ammo. My reloads, Winchester 9MM and American Eagle 9MM factory loads jam in the ejection port. I use Frog Lube on the gun but it still binds up unless I lube it with something like Break Free. It has never worked reliably. I had to adjust the mag release three times last month to get the glock mags to stay in lock.

Just save the money and ignore this. I will happily sell it for half price if you think you can get it to work. It has fold down sights and when it shoots, it is accurate.