Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 08-04-2010, 3:15 PM
Banned

Default Anyone have a Savage 110 BA in 300 Win Mag?

I've been salivating over this gun for some time and am curious if it is worth the drool. Has anyone here shot one? Own one? Does anyone know where to buy one? I've done a bunch of searching on the 'net and the only one I can find for sale won't ship to out fair state even though the gun is 100% Cali Legal. lt's a bolt action! Jeez.

Originally I wanted this baby in the 338 lapua but had to be honest with myself that I will probably never use that bullet to it's potential anyway.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 08-04-2010, 6:04 PM
Banned

For the price of one of those you could have a very nice rem 700 in 300 win mag in a custom stock/chassis setup.
Old 08-04-2010, 7:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
For the price of one of those you could have a very nice rem 700 in 300 win mag in a custom stock/chassis setup.
don't forget some left over money to put towards a high end scope.
Old 08-10-2010, 4:26 AM

I bought one in 338 Lapua from Sniper Country PX. Dros'd it at IAC. I picked it up last
Wednesday, scoped it on Thursday, made 50 rounds of ammo on Friday and finally took
it out to A Place To Shoot on Saturday.
Wow. What a rifle. Everybody wanted to take a turn...or two. The muzzle brake is huge
and the kick is more like a 243 than a 300+. It's accurate and very fun to shoot. I love it. The price is unbeatable for a gun of that caliber and function.
The only two drawbacks are...ammo is crazy expensive so you better be a reloader.
The second caution is...don't be standing next to it when your buddy or son wants to
take a turn on your rifle. It's like standing next to a bomb blast.

I could not be happier with this rifle.
Old 08-10-2010, 7:18 AM
Calguns Addict

As long as you reload get the lapua. Everyone has a 300 win mag not very many people have a lapua. Once you get a load going you can take it out to the desert and stretch it out to a mile. Makin that first hit on steel at a mile will do crazy things to a man.
Old 08-11-2010, 8:35 PM

I am like judofraze in that I have looked into the 110 BA for some time and the post by chopper is the first time I have been able to find first hand information, many thanks to chopper. I have shopped a number of places and Turner's said they could get the rifle in 3 to 4 weeks for about $1900.00. A week ago I had the chance to take a good long look at one which was being boxed up and sent back the Savage to have the trigger replaced, the trigger had some type of problem with locking up.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:15 PM
Banned by own request

Have you checked out Davidsons Inc (galleryofguns.com) They have info on retailers in your area. If they have it, it can be ordered.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:24 PM
Veteran Member

Great gun. I don't have to find parts for it. It is already set-up. Just need the glass.

They have it at BGS for <$1800.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/60959

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/LIR_123/GlockWise.png
Old 08-12-2010, 5:08 PM

elchivato and glockwise2000, thanks I will take a look.
Old 08-12-2010, 5:57 PM

Just got back tuesday from a shooting trip & sighting in and unleashing that beast. Was sending rounds at 1000 + with no problem great gun , at the price it makes sense if your getting the 338 lapua it's a little steep for a win mag but an awsome gun none the less.
Old 08-12-2010, 6:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtzshooters View Post
Just got back tuesday from a shooting trip & sighting in and unleashing that beast. Was sending rounds at 1000 + with no problem great gun , at the price it makes sense if your getting the 338 lapua it's a little steep for a win mag but an awsome gun none the less.
What range did you shoot 1k+ yards at? Sac Valley or somewhere else?
Old 02-15-2014, 2:11 AM

Thumbs up

I been shooting for quite some time. I'm a gun fanatic, pretty much name a gun and I probably shot it or own it.

Lets get to the most important question?

What are you going to use the Savage Arms 110 BA for? Pleasure, paper punching, showing it off to your buddies, hunting, competitive shooting?

Let me tell you, this gun comes in two chambers. one, .300 win mag, second, .338 lapua mag.

This gun in .338 lapua is one of the best bang for the buck you can get. But what are you using it for? both ammo configuration will take on any animal in the North America. .300 win mag is very effective up to 1100 yards, while .338 lapua is up to 1600 yards or more. Trust me, Although I have a Nightforce NSX scope on it, I have hard time seeing the small steel target past 800 yards.

.300 win mag is much more practical than .338 lapua. Come on guys, how many people use .338 lapua on daily basis. factory rounds are up to 6 bucks a shot, while I can grab a box of 20 of Remington from my local big 5 for $29.99 when I'm out of reloads. Reloads are very reasonable and .300 packs a big punch. This gun is very well engineered from Savage Arms (great job guys) and every time I hit up my local gun range and I have so many people come up to me and ask "my goodness, what a lovely gun" I get so many compliments, its not funny anymore. Sure, lots of people have rem 700 series, don't get me wrong, they are wonderful guns, (I own 3), my favorite is Remington 700 5r in .308.

Let me get it simple to you. This gun has it all, Wonderful price, Superbly built quality, accutrigger is a great design, looks great and accurate as hell. To me, I think its a great investment out of the box.
Old 02-15-2014, 6:31 AM

Default Ba 110 300 Winmag

I debated the Ba 110 in 300 win mag or 338 lupua. Ended up picking up the 300 win mag.
On of the deciding fators was ammo price and avalability.I can get Blackhills 190grain locally for $35 a box compare to $120 plus for 338. While building up brass stock for reloading. But i do love the fire arm its great for the price. Everyone says you can buy acustom unit for the price i just dont see how.Im sure as many have said the triger breaks like glass the break and weight of rifle make it actually fun to fire. One thing i can tell you is stay away from no lead poly tip rounds.i found the tip would bend when loaded from mag to chamber and that 1/2 moa gun went to lucky to hit 12 moa.
Old 02-15-2014, 6:53 AM

My buddy in Oregon has one for taking down bears.. He loves it. His is 338 Lapua. Sent me pics of his kills. Bad *** rifle there
Old 02-15-2014, 10:36 AM

Dad the same dilemma. Chose 300WM for common reload diameter for other 30 caliber rifles. 338 would have meant a new/bigger press and more expensive supplies. No range long enough to take full advantage of it either. A total blast to shoot. Can't beat the price/package combination IMO.
Old 02-15-2014, 4:16 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

110BA .338 Owner myself.

Ok, let's just talk brass tacks here. 90% of the rifles out there are not "
practical". They are for fun, sure you could hunt with 'em. But they are for fun. .338LM is expensive to shoot but dayum it's fun as hell. I feel like a kid at Christmas every time I take it out. I plan on reloading. I should have everything I need before the end of the year. I've already got some 250 gr. bullets, some brass, some Federal #215M Primers, a Lee 3 die set, and next I'll get the H1000 Powder or press, so on and so forth. There is a price for admission for these beasts it's a little steep, but it's worth every penny IMHO.

.300WM or .338LM, either way it'll be fun to shoot, but going with the .300WM on that platform is a little like putting a V8 or V10 in your Lamborghini, yeah, the V8/V10 is nothing to be ashamed of but sure ain't a V12 you know what I mean?

Just a side note, this gun was my mid-life crisis. but unlike some mid-life crises (sp?), this is one the my boys and I enjoy together ad you just can't put a price on that.

Either way you will be happy. It's a really nice rifle.

BTW, there's a few ranges in SoCal where you can reach out. A Place To Shoot, Burro Canyon, Piru, and IIRC Angeles as well. Plus there's a few places on BLM land where you can get out to darn near a mile.

HTH and Have fun no matter what.

BSA Scoutmaster
CGN Contributor
NRA Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither. (paraphrased) - Benjamin Franklin