Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 08-03-2010, 7:24 PM

Default Mosin Nagant 91/30 Sniper Rifle Reproduction from Century

Anyone have an opinion on the MN repro snipers from Century? Thinking of getting a laminated repro from them for $529. Has anyone shot/used one of these? If so how dose it stack up against the original. I have read a lot of "those are fake" articles/opinions and was looking for some real world opinions on the quality of the reproductions.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-03-2010, 7:57 PM

They are fake. I own two repros from Century and they are reasonably accurate, but they are just regulation issue m91/30's in decent shape that have been drilled and tapped for a repro mount and scope. So you get a reasonable reproduction of the original.

They are fun.

P.S. If I had to do it again, I would not have bought two repros, I would have bought an original.
Old 08-03-2010, 8:32 PM

Are the scope mounts aluminum or steel? I'd also like to know about the optics. The one I'm considering is rated as "excellent" what kind of condition (E, VG, G, F) did you get, just curios? What kind of accuracy do you get with mil. surplus? Sorry for all the questions just want to get all the facts. I have read elsewhere that the PU repro's are built to specs and pretty good compared to originals (minus the historic value of course).
Old 08-03-2010, 9:25 PM

I have both an aluminum base with a steel scope mount and a steel base with steel scope mount.

They are built to spec, but they started with a common barrel and receiver. The snipers were selected for excellent fit and finish and then the scope was fit to the receiver with the matching SN of scope struck into the receiver. They were purpose built as sniper rifles.

One was excellent and the other very good incomplete. (a U-fix-em that was broken) Both are accurate with milsurp, they would be better with match grade modern ammo I believe. Getting used to the scope is key, it isn't the same as using a modern scope.

If you are just going for the experience and the neat-o factor of having a MN sniper, go with a repro. If you want the real deal and a collector piece (in a decade or two) go with the original.

Plane and simple, I believe a real one is going to outshoot the repro no matter what.
Old 08-03-2010, 9:25 PM
Veteran Member

Got mine from SOG, the recent (current?) $350 special. It has the Century billboard on the action. Here it is, as it came out of the box:

It is a 1943 Ishevsk, Barrel looks good, not counter-bored.

Took it to the range Sunday, and was pretty disappointed, frankly. With 80s Yugo surplus it barely held minute of dinner plate at 100 yards through the scope, and I couldn't verify if it was the scope or the rifle, because the iron sights were completely off the paper at 100, and I didn't have anything to adjust them with. I should have moved to 50 yards, but was short on time.

I need to go through the various 91/30 accurizing threads/articles and see if I can do anything with it.

On mine at least, the mount is steel.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:17 PM

I have a repro 91/30 sniper but I'm not sure if it was done by century, Its cool. I'd rather have an original and sell this one. Got it at a guns show. Looks authentic.

http://m1family.com
M1 Carbine Dedicated forum.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:26 PM

Thanks for the opinions and pic's fellas. Decided to go for it! Laminated M91/30 reproduction sniper in Excellent condition on the way (from Century with 03 FFL)! Any other opinions, pics, and comparisons would still be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-03-2010, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick007g View Post
Thanks for the opinions and pic's fellas. Decided to go for it! Laminated M91/30 reproduction sniper in Excellent condition on the way (from Century with 03 FFL)! Any other opinions, pics, and comparisons would still be greatly appreciated!
Post pictures when you get it!

Here is some pictures of mine. : http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=311680

Old 08-03-2010, 11:03 PM
Banned

i thought the Sniper model had different iron sights , or were those just the finnish models?
Old 08-03-2010, 11:11 PM

Will do! Nice rifle you got there. I'm not fully convinced the "authentic" rifles shoot any better than the repro's, especially since the repro's are made to specs. I can see from a collector/historic point of view the value being higher but as a shooter I doubt it, in fact, the repro's may shoot better since they are newer-rifle and scope. My M38 and Tula 91/30 shoot pretty darn good with iron sights. I also have a S&K mount and adjustable pro-hunter scope for the M38 but actually prefer the iron sights, go figure? $200 bucks to figure that out..lol. This repro sniper will be a nice addition to the collection. Thanks for the pics man!
Old 08-03-2010, 11:16 PM

emcon got a nice one. I have two from century/SOG. both have diffnt mounts, emcons is the more sturdier.

I dont care about historical accuracy when it comes to something like this gun so the repro's are ok for me.

They typically shoot VERY well, I am not sure how they select the rifle to be scoped but they do it right.

I have given away many of my mosins to friends but I don't think I will give my snipers away they are too fun to shoot.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:23 PM

I prefer shooting rifles without scopes. Just like the iron sights. I would like to get an original sniper though. and either get rid of my Repro or just keep it as a shooter and have the original for the collector point of view.

And your welcome for the pictures. But I'll have to get it out and take a look but I'm not sure if its a century arms or not.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:26 PM

Rem1492- Good to hear! I'm looking forward to receiving mine. I too am looking for a solid shooter vs. historic value as I don't plan on selling mine but rather to take it to the range and shoot the heck out of it! I want a good shooter over a historic collector value and the fact that I'm getting a laminated stock in "excellent" condition wont hurt if it comes to that one day. I just hope I get the steel vs. aluminum mount. I see the difference with my S&K mounts, steel makes a big difference IMO and will hold up longer than aluminum (way more solid). From the pic's it looks like repro's are indeed steel (although I can't be sure).
Old 08-03-2010, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Anyone have an opinion on the MN repro snipers from Century? Thinking of getting a laminated repro from them for $529...
Quote:
Definition- Reproduction: "something made by reproducing an original; copy; duplicate"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex$ View Post
They are fake...
Thank you captain obvious.

-Palimino

Last edited by Palimino Stripe; 08-03-2010 at 11:45 PM..
Old 08-04-2010, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palimino Stripe View Post
Thank you captain obvious.

-Palimino
LOL too funny Palimino.....I kinda got that part. I completely understand that issue. I'm looking more along the lines of quality of the repro's not historical value. I don't think it's an issue of fake vs. real but historically valuable vs. accurate shooter valueabitliy (<--not a word but you know what I mean). I definitely understand the difference between the two, but for me personally, the extra $300 ($800 from rguns) for "historical value" isn't really important if the specs, accuracy and "quality" optics are the same. I'm looking for a shooter, not a money maker (if that makes sense). Although I wouldn't mind getting a really rare specimen to boot. I have refinished my other two MN but this one will remain untouched and original (an original repro anyway...lol). I do appreciate the input from everyone though as I could use as many real world opinions/experience on this particular matter.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:23 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Will do! Nice rifle you got there. I'm not fully convinced the "authentic" rifles shoot any better than the repro's, especially since the repro's are made to specs. I can see from a collector/historic point of view the value being higher but as a shooter I doubt it, in fact, the repro's may shoot better since they are newer-rifle and scope. My M38 and Tula 91/30 shoot pretty darn good with iron sights.
That could go either way. When they build repro's, they just pick 91/30's out of the line and scope them. Repro PU's are a real crapshoot because they could be built off the worst shooting 91/30 ever, or the best. The importers don't test fire them so there is no way for them to know. At least the originals were specifically chosen because of their accuracy.

Scope new? Yes. Rifle new, no.

Still though, I look forward to the pics.

EDIT: If you did get a rare rifle, congrats, but the D&T kinda killed the extra value there...

Little do they know that's just my stripper outfit and name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperX View Post
I am currently cleaning it and I noticed when I squeeze the snake this white paste like substance comes out. What the heck is this crap?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff L View Post
Don't D&T a virgin milsurp rifle. You'll burn in collector hell.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:43 AM

I'm hoping since it's "excellent" condition it will be a solid shooter. But you may be right. I picked up a M38 from Big 5 and it was listed as VG (very good), I also picked up a M91/30 Tula from hendersondefense in NV and it was also listed as VG. Turns out the M38 from big 5 had some dings and what not but the bore was phenomenal! Shinny as all get up while the 91/30 was cosmetically nicer but had a dark bore (both not counter-bored). I guess whoever grades them will determine the final outcome/variation; lets just hope mine comes with an emphasis on the barrel/optics vs. cosmetics.
Old 08-04-2010, 3:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Well, I hope you get a good shooting 91/30.

Little do they know that's just my stripper outfit and name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperX View Post
I am currently cleaning it and I noticed when I squeeze the snake this white paste like substance comes out. What the heck is this crap?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff L View Post
Don't D&T a virgin milsurp rifle. You'll burn in collector hell.