Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 08-31-2012, 12:58 AM

Default Adding Picatinny Rail sections to my M&P15

So here it is. I want to dress up my M&P15 Sport without changing the standard hand guard for a quad rail. So while browsing the Rifles gallery I noticed some calgunners adding rail sections to their rifles existing hand guard.

The dilemma is that while shopping online for rail sections most of the reviews show half of the people saying the holes don't line up without modifying (chopping) the rail sections. I don't have the equipment to go chopping, welding, grinding, etc.

Can anyone recommend a rail section that they used and what make and model of rifle they are using it on?

And since the M&P15 sport doesn't have a heat shield I am expecting I'll need to avoid the polymer rail sections and go for aluminum right? For fear that heat from the barrel may warp the polymer jammies.
Old 08-31-2012, 1:45 AM
Calguns Addict

Rail section for what? Optics, bipod, flashlight?

If its for optics ur going to need some much better than some DIY added rail.

For other acessories a cheaper but still nice route would be getting some magpul polymer replacement handguards which has options for add on rail sections.

Or buy a section of rail and install it with a drill and some small bolts.

You can also find some cheap 2 peice carbine length quadrail and just call it a day if you don't want to fork out or a free float tube or rail.
Old 08-31-2012, 1:55 AM

I like the look of the regular handguard which is why I don't want to change it.

I want to add the rail sections for the purpose of adding a Magpul AFG and a mounting point for a light. I would like to just use the vent holes on the existing handguards.
Old 08-31-2012, 5:03 AM

You can get a FF tube pretty cheap: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/254...aluminum-black

Adding rails on regular handguards is gonna look dumb as heck IMHO
Old 08-31-2012, 10:38 AM

That's funny it looks good to me. That being said I'm not really concerned with how everyone thinks It's gonna look. I would just like the know-how.
Old 08-31-2012, 1:47 PM
Calguns Addict

I see where you are going with it now... It’s do-able, but you are not going to get away from the DYI work of trimming, drilling, or whatever else you might encounter depending on which rail section you buy.

Have you ever used the AFG setup on a carbine length rail? I find it to be WAY to close to the receiver for comfort. They feel better positioned much farther up on the rail. It feels really awkward unless ur hands are positioned closer to the muzzle, unless ur just a really small dude.

I think it’s more common to see on midlength and riflelength hand guards on their 16" rifles.
Old 08-31-2012, 8:10 PM

My intent was to mount the AFG toward the front of the hand guard to avoid that problem. I guess I won't really know until I do it. If it doesn't work the way I want it to I'll just modify my plans at that time. If that's the case I'll sell the AFG and get a regular style foregrip.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:09 PM
Calguns Addict

There is no way you will ever get it far forward enough on a carbine length rail... Adjusting the stock to make the LOP longer may help, but I have always found its way to short even fully expanded.

AFG is really designed for thumb-over-bore shooting… the only time I have even felt any level of comfort while shooting with the AFG is when it is installed like this...

Installed far forward also has its advantages, at it allows you to control the muzzle a little better, and drive it from target to target faster.
Old 09-09-2012, 9:11 PM

get a surefire brake, it looks very nice and works very well at eliminating muzzle climb.