Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 08-03-2010, 9:04 AM

Default New Macbook Pro user with questions

I used to know macs many many moons ago (mid 80's) but have been on the pc side since then. A few questions:

Now that I have a non windows OS do I still need a virus protection program/ malware program ?

I've always used Firefox, should I sh#t can Safari?

Is there a good site to visit to get the basics out of the way? I am almost an hr away from the closest Apple Store so that kind of rules that angle out and my internet (clearwire) at home is a dog for watching video. (Even with the latest upgrade to CLEAR 4G)

Any tips or apps that you might recommend would be great as well!

Thanks,

Rod
Old 08-03-2010, 9:08 AM
Ban Hammer Avoidance Team
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Did you notice how far over I've moved this part of my info? You should try it, it's fun.

I would not worry about virus protection, although there is ClamXAv.

I use Firefox. Safari worked fine for me too.

Which basics are you looking to go over? The apple site has tutorials for their programs.

Apps will be a personal decision depending on what you need to do. Give us some ideas and we can offer more advice.

"Those who cannot remember the posts are condemned to repeat them"

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone used a cliché
Old 08-03-2010, 9:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casual_Shooter View Post
I would not worry about virus protection, although there is ClamXAv.

I use Firefox. Safari worked fine for me too.

Which basics are you looking to go over? The apple site has tutorials for their programs.

Really, basic navigating... I still don't know how to toggle between windows (like the simple alt-tab pc operation) or maybe just a list of keystroke shortcuts

Apps will be a personal decision depending on what you need to do. Give us some ideas and we can offer more advice.
yea, the apps question was pretty vague. Just anything that will apply to the mac itself in its everyday usage.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:01 AM

Location: Did you notice how far over I've moved this part of my info? You should try it, it's fun.

I think the "toggle between windows" topic has come up here before. I don't think there is a way - short of using Expose- to do it. The command-Tab combination toggles between applications, if that helps at all.

I'm not sitting at my MBP and can't remember the key to activate Expose, but that will probably be an ok alternative for you.

As far as everyday apps, nothing really special leaps to mind. Safari or FF for web browsing. Mail or Thunderbird for email.

One thing I've found is that I prefer to use the Office for Mac bundle instead of the Mac's alternative found in iWork. I think this is important if you are going to be sharing word processing or spreadsheet documents with people using PC's. Although I have not spent a lot of time with Pages or Numbers so I might be under the wrong impression.

Auto back-ups are important. I don't use Time Machine. I use Crashplan.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:06 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Don't forget that Apple has always had very clear and comprhensive help files built into everything as well as other third party software. These are invaluable for everything from basics to advanced.

If you really get stuck PM me, I just recently quit Apple after a ten year run in support.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:13 AM

To toggle between windows in an application use command-grave-accent (the accent key to the left of the "1" on the top of the keyboard).

I'm not making a statement about your intelligence, but the Mac for Dummies site has some good, basic info for using a Mac: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...eat-sheet.html
Old 08-03-2010, 10:14 AM

I have my lower left corner set up for expose rather than using F3, slide the mouse down there and all your current programs / windows pop up, then click the one you want. Super quick and easy. I also have Spaces set up on the lower right so switching between desktops and items on those desktops is seemless.

I've been using Google Chrome lately and like it alot. Safari, Firefox, and Chrome all have different advantages. Try 'em all...
01001001 00100000 01110111 01101001 01101100 01101100 00100000 01001110 01001111 00100000 01001100 01001111 01001110 01000111 01000101 01010010 00100000 01100011 01101111 01101101 01110000 01101100 01111001
Old 08-03-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sastark View Post
To toggle between windows in an application use command-grave-accent (the accent key to the left of the "1" on the top of the keyboard).
Nice!

Old 08-03-2010, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member

Leave Safari alone. You might never use it, but it is important for the OS. Also, it is always a good idea to have multiple browsers on a Mac--I 've seen Safari, Firefox and other browsers such as Camino and Opera fail, and you'll need a back up browser for those situations.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:31 AM

Great tips so far folks! I appreciate them all. And no, mac for dummies isn't an insult to my intelligence.

I've begun some of the tutorials on the Apple web site from work as video is much quicker here than at home. (fortunately it is very slow right now at wk)
Old 08-03-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang0 View Post
Leave Safari alone. You might never use it, but it is important for the OS. Also, it is always a good idea to have multiple browsers on a Mac--I 've seen Safari, Firefox and other browsers such as Camino and Opera fail, and you'll need a back up browser for those situations.
Sorry - I didn't mean to actually get rid of it. I should have worded that differently... thanks for the advice!
Old 08-03-2010, 12:51 PM

I recently dumped Firefox for Chrome. It's got a few little issues and feels a bit less polished, but it's noticeably faster and uses less memory.

Safari just bothers me for some reason and always has. I don't even know what it is, I just can't put my finger on it.

Switching windows was mentioned earlier and someone else covered the "cmd-`" shortcut. On the new Macbook Pro if you swipe downward on the trackpad with four fingers it'll open Expose and show you all the windows you have open, too.

The new Pros are nice pieces of hardware, I'm typing on one now. Welcome to the party.

--B
Old 08-03-2010, 1:07 PM

If you have time, make an appointment at the genius bar at your local apple store. Tell them you're switching from PC. They will patiently step you
through and answer your questions.
Old 08-03-2010, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfwdiy View Post
I recently dumped Firefox for Chrome. It's got a few little issues and feels a bit less polished, but it's noticeably faster and uses less memory.

Safari just bothers me for some reason and always has. I don't even know what it is, I just can't put my finger on it.

Switching windows was mentioned earlier and someone else covered the "cmd-`" shortcut. On the new Macbook Pro if you swipe downward on the trackpad with four fingers it'll open Expose and show you all the windows you have open, too.

The new Pros are nice pieces of hardware, I'm typing on one now. Welcome to the party.

--B
Thanks - just found the four finger swipe!
Old 08-03-2010, 10:19 PM

I've been a Mac user since the first iMac and everything posted so far is good info. It's way easier than you think, just be sure to run Disk Utilities repair permissions every time Software Update changes your software. Oh, and for the future, don't let Software Update change the operating system. Download and install the OSX Combo Update from the Apple website and then run Disk Utility repair permissions. You'll be better off than you were with windows.
Old 08-04-2010, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I've been a Mac user since the first iMac and everything posted so far is good info. It's way easier than you think, just be sure to run Disk Utilities repair permissions every time Software Update changes your software. Oh, and for the future, don't let Software Update change the operating system. Download and install the OSX Combo Update from the Apple website and then run Disk Utility repair permissions. You'll be better off than you were with windows.
Ehh, repairing permissions is one of the most over-used and unnecessary troubleshooting/maintenance routines out there. I can remember maybe one or two instances over the last 7 or 8 years where the fix for the issue was to repair permissions.

Hard drive corruption and mechanical drive failure are both far more common and problematic than permissions issues.

--B