Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:36 AM

Default Sig Sauer P226 .40S&W vs. Springfield 1911 Mil Spec

Hi All,

I just wanted to comment briefly on my experience yesterday.

I have owned my Sig Sauer P226 .40S&W for the past 7+ years & LOVE it. I've been reading up a lot on Calguns about 1911's & was set on getting one as my next gun. I was set on getting a Springfield Loaded 1911, but knew that I needed to go shoot one before dropping the $ on a 1911.

So yesterday I went to On Target & rented their Springfield Stainless 1911 Mil Spec. (I know, it's not the loaded & it's their entry level 1911.)

I shot the 1911 & my Sig side by side, & I have to say, I'm still in love with my Sig & my obsession to get a 1911 has kind of subsided. The Sig just fits my hand perfectly & I shot much more accurately. The 1911 was good, but it just didn't blow me away (I know it's a rental). I'm sure some of the more high end customized 1911's will shoot much better. I was hoping to shoot On Target's Wilson CQB, but I guess they just sent it back to Wilson to be serviced...

Anyways, I'm in no way saying 1911's are good or bad, it just didn't fit my hand as well as my Sig. Just sharing my experience yesterday.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member

I totally understand where you're coming from. When I was shopping for my first semi.. I was pretty sold on getting a 1911. I borrowed one at the range, Springfield Mil-Spec or GI, and it was a total nightmare (mostly FTFs, but safety even locked at one point and the serviceman had to come with a screwdriver to fix it). I blame it more on it being an ill-maintained rental, but it gave me just enough doubt to see what alternatives I had. I looked around and thought about going the opposite route in caliber in a Hi-Power.. but the general lack of wide support got me to continue my search. Eventually I ran into Sigs and noticed they had a lot of similarities in the other two platforms I was looking at. I started with P220, but eventually opted for a P226 as I became more conscious of ammo pricing and trying to get the maximum capacity in the largest caliber with CA's handicap, .40sw over 9mm.

Nowadays, as heretical as it sounds.. I consider classic P-Series Sigs as my "form" of 1911s. I'll still get an 1911 eventually - too much character and history to neglect.

Last edited by gorenut; 07-30-2010 at 11:46 AM..
Old 07-30-2010, 12:15 PM

Yea, I'll prob still get a 1911 at some point when I have the EXTRA funds, but it doesn't feel as urgent/immediate as it felt before.
I want to get a Sig P229 for the wife, maybe try out a HK USP 40 at some point too, get a shotgun for HD, & maybe get into AR's...
Old 07-30-2010, 12:32 PM
Calguns Addict

1911s aren't for everyone. Everyone's hands prefer different platforms, so don't feel too bad if yours preferred your SIG P-series over the single stack 1911.

However, I would encourage you to give it another try, something other than Springfield's base plain jane 1911. Not all 1911s are created equal.

Then again, if your hands don't really care for the 1911... well... that solves it. The P-series is the gun that works for you. Can't go wrong with SIGs.
Old 07-30-2010, 2:14 PM

I'll try that Wilson CQB if On Target gets it back from Wilson... that's the one I wanted to try first... but all they had yesterday was the SA Mil Spec, they also had the Sig 1911... maybe I'll try that at some point...
Old 07-30-2010, 6:06 PM

More than 15 years ago I wanted a 1911 and bought myself a Colt 1991A1 Commander when Colt introduced the series. It was my first 1911 gun and it wasn't a good shooter in term of accuracy and I quickly sold it without any regrets. It wasn't my type of gun or so I though and I moved on with my life without thinking much about getting or trying out another 1911. Pass forward 15 years later I revived my interest in hand guns again after discovering Calguns.net by accident. Looking at Guns Gallery my interest in 1911 guns aroused once again. By luck I purchased a used Colt XSE and I was extremely satisfied with its performance - accurate and reliable!!!

I own Sig 226 in 9mm and Sig 229 in .40, but if I can only keep 1 gun the Colt XSE is the one that won't be sold.

Looking to add at least a couple more 1911s to my stable in the future...

Last edited by U5512; 07-30-2010 at 6:11 PM..
Old 07-30-2010, 9:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I carried a military 1911 for my tour and it was what I got and I dealt with it and it packed a load and never left me down. I loved that pistol. Once I got out and took up pistols again some time later, I tried Sigs .40s and .357 SIG and I have never looked back--they are modern cartridges and calibers that are superior to the venerable .45 in not just my view. Some people love nostalgia (heck people love Elvis still) and I appreciate that and the history of the 1911--fine gun for it's time. Truth be told in most circumstances the difference won't matter. But if you follow law enforcement munitions, you'll see them migrating to .40 and .357 SIG and it's for a reason. Because there is that chance you might face an armored vest, a car door, a windshield, or whatever. And you just want to survive the gun fight. That's when your choice matters but it's too late to switch. think ahead. Go with the best solution. It isn't 9mm and it isn't 45.

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." --Jeff Cooper
Old 07-31-2010, 9:09 PM

my go-to gun is my p229 in .40sw. i have the p226 in 9mm and it never really was that great for me. shot it the other week and it was divine.

i've rented/shot many different 1911s and none did anything for me. then i fired a kimber custom ii and i bought it after one mag.

give it some time...you might not have fired the 'right' 1911 for you. luck!
Old 07-31-2010, 11:46 PM

The 1911 was designed over 100 years ago and most guns have improved as far as ergonomics are concerned. Glock, H&K, Sig Sauer, etc. have taken the John Browning design to new levels. I love my Kimber 1911, but must admit it isnt for everyone. A 1911 holds many values aside from being a masterpiece that has been the handgun standard for over 100 years. I would suggest trying a custom or loaded 1911 because the added features are what make the gun feel so much better than a GI or mili-spec model. However, the cost can get pretty high.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:06 AM

Hey Guys,
Thanks for all the response, I will prob try some more 1911's at the range, whatever they have to rent. If I find one that blows me away, I may consider getting one. Till that day, I'll stick with my Sig P226 in the .40 & maybe try some others, I've been wanting to try an HK... we'll see.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:58 AM
Your Ad Here
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxgp View Post
The 1911 was designed over 100 years ago and most guns have improved as far as ergonomics are concerned.
How can you justify that? While I agree that some people may not like 1911's ergonomics, few guns have improved on the 1911's ergonomics.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:06 PM

Hi, I have both the Sig P226 in 40 S&W and the Springfield 1911 loaded. I love them both. My Sig fits the hand like a glove. It all so bets the 1911 for capacity and has a light rail. You can get a .357 Sig barrel and drop it in your 229 and use the same magazines. Both the 229 and 1911 shoot great with similar accuracy. The 1911 definitely wins on looks and intimidation factors. But if I was to choose one as a duty weapon or to carry every day it would be the 229. 1911's are fun to shoot and everyone needs to have one to play with. Definitely get the Loaded over the GI model because you get a more accurate pistol with some nice features like the ambidextrous safety. Just my two cents.
Old 08-02-2010, 4:42 PM

@Springfield45 - thanks for the tip, yea I'd get a 1911 at some point, I just don't have that same urgency to get one NOW as I did before.